PDA

View Full Version : Can Carmelo play MJ's role in the triangle?

StrongLurk
09-10-2019, 09:27 PM
We know Carmelo struggled in the triangle when Phil implemented on the Knicks.

But why did Carmelo struggle? Isn't he supposed to have the "triangle" skillset?

DoctorP
09-10-2019, 09:48 PM
Carmelo aint no mike jordan

LostCause
09-10-2019, 11:59 PM
What makes you think Melo could fill any of Jordan’s roles? Because he scored a lot in his prime? One of the most underrated parts of Jordan’s game was that he was a high volume, high efficiency scorer and playmaker on low time of possession and even lower turnovers. In fact he rates out as the BEST overall by Ben Taylor’s metric that measures these categories as a whole

In other words, he was basically the ultimate scorer. Melo holds the ball and kills possessions almost every time he goes to score. Jordan could do his damage in an off ball role yet still give you a quick 40

Not to mention the vast difference in just basketball IQ

iamgine
09-11-2019, 01:03 AM

But why did Carmelo struggle? Isn't he supposed to have the "triangle" skillset?
What do you mean "he supposed to have the "triangle" skillset?"

Bawkish
09-11-2019, 01:51 AM
Melo was never a moving off ball type of a player, which the triangle requires

3ball
09-11-2019, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=LostCause]What makes you think Melo could fill any of Jordan

StrongLurk
09-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Okay so everyone agrees with me that Carmelo's "skillset" is overrated.

So many casuals want to rank him as some all-time scorer when he wouldn't even be in my top 25 all time for best scorers.

Not saying prime Carmelo wasn't a good player...he was very good. But damn I'm so sick of casuals STILL thinking Carmelo should be a primary option on an NBA team at this point in his career.

SouBeachTalents
09-11-2019, 11:35 AM

So many casuals want to rank him as some all-time scorer when he wouldn't even be in my top 25 all time for best scorers.

Not saying prime Carmelo wasn't a good player...he was very good. But damn I'm so sick of casuals STILL thinking Carmelo should be a primary option on an NBA team at this point in his career.
Who the hell thinks that :lol

LAmbruh
09-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Melo would breeeeze past the 40ppg mark up against Ehlo and Hornacek

StrongLurk
09-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Who the hell thinks that :lol

MANY people do...it's sad.

In fact I see so much retardation among basketball "fans" that even talking about basketball in depth feels like a complete waste of time.

So many people are up in their feelings and have this weird emotional need to stan players and throw any logic out the window. It's like 80% of basketball "fans" are just a big mix of stans and haters.

MaxPlayer
09-11-2019, 12:32 PM

I agree that he's been overrated by casuals throughout his career. Some of that is probably due to the fame he garnered from his great run in college. Some is also probably due to the fact that his skills are unsubtle and obvious (good at midrange shooting and 1-on-1 scoring.)

But still, you can't deny that he's an enigma. He ranks 19th in NBA history in career PPG. Sure, that's largely driven by the fact that he also ranks 8th in career usage %, but it's still nothing to sneeze at. The 18 guys ahead of him in PPG (besides Adrian Dantley) are basically all undisputed all-time greats. Also, he averaged more career rebounds per 36 than 8 of those 18.

It's somewhat of a puzzle why he was never able to translate his skills into efficient or winning play. Was it laziness or selfishness on his part? Did none of his coaches ever design a scheme that properly utilized him? Or were his skills simply more conducive to putting up stats than contributing to winning basketball?

Anyway, I don't like him as a player, but I can at least understand why opinions about him are all over the map. He's a pretty unique case.

Vino24
09-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Pete Myers did. So can Melo :rockon:

AirFederer
09-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Melo an MJ in the same post? Disrespectful

Melo filling MJ

sekachu
09-11-2019, 01:15 PM

I can't believe you raise this question

StrongLurk
09-11-2019, 01:57 PM
I can't believe you raise this question

You aren't thinking hard enough.

Bronbron23
09-11-2019, 05:12 PM

Who ever said he had the triangle skill set? One of the most important skill sets needed in the triangle is off ball movement. Not exactly melo strong point. To be fair to melo though there's not many guys in this era that would fit the triangle. Kawhi is the only guy that I can think of that has all the necessary skills.

3ball
09-12-2019, 01:48 PM
You tell me OP - Can Carmelo play MJ's role?

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-08-2015/zC5nUD.gif

https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-26-2019/CPv63q.gif

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-15-2019/y9iMNG.gif

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-28-2015/ew2ZUl.gif

https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-18-2019/ltx3Lq.gif

https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-23-2019/iH12xP.gif

superduper
09-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Lol wtf is this thread??

"Can Melo be the GOAT"

:biggums: :biggums:

Manny98
09-12-2019, 02:24 PM
Melo has a better mid range game and better handles so i don't see why not :confusedshrug:

StrongLurk
09-12-2019, 04:03 PM
Lot of people in this thread can't seem to understand the premise.

I didn't ask if Melo can BE MJ...I asked if he can play MJ's role in the triangle, aka the FIRST OPTION of the triangle.

Kobe played the "MJ" role in the triangle...and the point of this thread is to ask if Carmelo could do the same thing...aka successfully be the first option in the triangle offense.

Lot of casuals seem to think Carmelo is one of the best scorers ever and have seen many people say he is a better scorer than a guy like Lebron...which is dumb AF.

LostCause
09-12-2019, 07:39 PM
Melo has a better mid range game and better handles so i don't see why not :confusedshrug:

Using your logic, Steve Nash is a better finisher than LeBron James

Stronger too

In other words, you made it up. Stop being a moron, Manny :facepalm

LostCause
09-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Lot of casuals seem to think Carmelo is one of the best scorers ever and have seen many people say he is a better scorer than a guy like Lebron...which is dumb AF.

Carmelo IS one of the best scorers ever though. Certainly one of the most versatile

He probably wouldn't do well in Jordans role because he wasn't nearly as good of a passer as Jordan or Kobe, nor able to score in the flow of the offense as well as they could. That doesn't take away from his singular scoring ability however

Bronbron23
09-12-2019, 08:19 PM
Who in the hell ever said melo was one of the best scorers ever? He only has 3 reg seasons of 28 pts or more. He dosnt have any seasons of 30 pts or more. He dosnt have any seasons of 50% from the field.

In the playoffs where shit counts he's even worse. He has 3 playoffs of 28 pts or more. One of those was 30 a game. Efficiency wise he was horrible in the playoffs. He has 5 seasons below 40% fg and only 3 above 45%. He had 0 playoff runs above 50% from the field.

This is all while resting on defence btw. Anyone who thinks melo is anywhere close to one of the best scorers ever is on crack

Bronbron23
09-12-2019, 08:23 PM
Lot of people in this thread can't seem to understand the premise.

I didn't ask if Melo can BE MJ...I asked if he can play MJ's role in the triangle, aka the FIRST OPTION of the triangle.

Kobe played the "MJ" role in the triangle...and the point of this thread is to ask if Carmelo could do the same thing...aka successfully be the first option in the triangle offense.

How can melo be successful in the triangle? He dosnt move off the ball and dosnt pass the ball when he has it. A huge part of the triangle is off ball movement and ball movement. Neither is a strength of melo's. Melo would suck in the triangle

StrongLurk
09-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Who in the hell ever said melo was one of the best scorers ever? He only has 3 reg seasons of 28 pts or more. He dosnt have any seasons of 30 pts or more. He dosnt have any seasons of 50% from the field.

In the playoffs where shit counts he's even worse. He has 3 playoffs of 28 pts or more. One of those was 30 a game. Efficiency wise he was horrible in the playoffs. He has 5 seasons below 40% fg and only 3 above 45%. He had 0 playoff runs above 50% from the field.

This is all while resting on defence btw. Anyone who thinks melo is anywhere close to one of the best scorers ever is on crack

Literally the poster above you.

Many others think this as well. Just because you aren't seeing people post about Melo now on ISH doesn't mean people still dont talk about him on other sites or social media.

If Melo was such as great scorer, he should be able to play in the triangle right?

3ball
09-12-2019, 08:33 PM
How can melo be successful in the triangle? He dosnt move off the ball and dosnt pass the ball when he has it. A huge part of the triangle is off ball movement and ball movement. Neither is a strength of melo's. Melo would suck in the triangle

https://media.tenor.com/images/b0eed2d05dfd7232b97195d9dacae184/tenor.gif

Bronbron23
09-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Literally the poster above you.

Many others think this as well. Just because you aren't seeing people post about Melo now on ISH doesn't mean people still dont talk about him on other sites or social media.

If Melo was such as great scorer, he should be able to play in the triangle right?
Ok well when I said who in the hell I didn't mean it literally. I'm sure there a few deranged fans who think he was. Anyone who knows the game and has eyes to look at his stats and playoff performances knows that he's not one of the best scorers ever.

And just because your a great scorer it doesn't mean you'd automatically be a good fit for the triangle. Again the triangle revolves around ball movement and off ball movement. Melo dosnt do either. He'd be a terrible fit for the triangle. What is so hard to understand about this?

Bawkish
09-13-2019, 03:02 AM

you forgot your meds again :facepalm

Stringer Bell
09-13-2019, 10:29 AM
MANY people do...it's sad.

In fact I see so much retardation among basketball "fans" that even talking about basketball in depth feels like a complete waste of time.

So many people are up in their feelings and have this weird emotional need to stan players and throw any logic out the window. It's like 80% of basketball "fans" are just a big mix of stans and haters.

All these YouTube comments I see :oldlol: