PDA

View Full Version : if kawhi could hand check

Bronbron23
09-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Pip was on the jump the other day talking About how much easier it was to defend when hand checking was legal. They were showing highlights of him defending magic and he was hand checking and hip bumping him the entire length of the floor. I would love to see a guy like kawhi being able to defend that way now against LeBron, kd,harden or even steph. He'd be terrifying on the defensive end if he could defend that way. Those are all great players so they'd still do there thing but he would certainly make life hell for whoever he was defending and I don't anyone would able to beat the clippers with kawhi, Bev and pg being able to hand check.

NBA should bring hand checking back. It be entertaining as hell.

Manny98
09-18-2019, 10:40 AM
I don't want to go back to that boring 90s basketball where games finished 68-70 :oldlol:

superduper
09-18-2019, 10:42 AM
I don't want to go back to that boring 90s basketball where games finished 68-70 :oldlol:

Because it's a lot more entertaining when every single game is ending 140-139 with minimal offensive skill required to score compared to past eras with this non-existent defense.

Great casual take there Fanny :applause:

Manny98
09-18-2019, 10:45 AM
Because it's a lot more entertaining when every single game is ending 140-139 with minimal offensive skill required to score compared to past eras with this non-existent defense.

Defense today takes 50x more skill than it did back then

Hand checking made playing defense easy af

Elosha
09-18-2019, 11:27 AM
Defense today takes 50x more skill than it did back then

Hand checking made playing defense easy af

Even for you, this may be a new low in posting drivel.

Bosnian Sajo
09-18-2019, 11:43 AM

Compared to past eras? Are you actually comparing data or are you imagining in your head that back in the day, teams scored less? Let's take a look, please click on the following link:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats_per_game.html

I don't know if you realize, but from 1957-1993, the scoring average per team was consistently above 105ppg. There are only 3 or 4 seasons where it wasn't like this. In 2019, the average was 111ppg, which is very similar to the 80's showtime era that made the NBA popular.

From 1995-2015, there were only 4 seasons where the league average was 100ppg or more (not going over 101ppg). Most of those seasons the average was in the mid to high 90ppg.

So if ANYTHING, those years are outliers and the way bball is being played today is the way it was being played classically from 1957-1993. Specifically speaking about high scoring games, not the actual way they play ie shooting three after three.

Bosnian Sajo
09-18-2019, 11:45 AM
Even for you, this may be a new low in posting drivel.

I of course wouldn't say it is 50x harder, but he DOES have a point. It is more difficult to effectively defend today than it was in the mid 90s-mid 00's.

superduper
09-18-2019, 11:45 AM
Compared to past eras? Are you actually comparing data or are you imagining in your head that back in the day, teams scored less? Let's take a look, please click on the following link:

I don't know if you realize, but from 1957-1993, the scoring average per team was consistently above 105ppg. There are only 3 or 4 seasons where it wasn't like this. In 2019, the average was 111ppg, which is very similar to the 80's showtime era that made the NBA popular.

From 1995-2015, there were only 4 seasons where the league average was 100ppg or more (not going over 101ppg). Most of those seasons the average was in the mid to high 90ppg.

So if ANYTHING, those years are outliers and the way bball is being played today is the way it was being played classically from 1957-1993. Specifically speaking about high scoring games, not the actual way they play ie shooting three after three.

From your same link the Pace last season was the highest it has ever been since the 80s

scuzzy
09-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Kawhi still very much handchecks in todays game

players do it all the time and it never gets called

Bosnian Sajo
09-18-2019, 12:05 PM
From your same link the Pace last season was the highest it has ever been since the 80s

Correct...and considering the 80s was when the NBA gained popularity, I'd argue that is a good thing. I'd rather watch a faster pace than slower. Most would agree.

There is a reason why it was called showtime basketball back then, it was entertaining and fast paced.

Bosnian Sajo
09-18-2019, 12:09 PM
If you look at MJ's 1st 3 peat, the pace in the league was very similar to todays.

1970's --- 105 average

1980's --- 100 to 102

1991 --- 97.8
1992 --- 96.6
1993 --- 96.8

1999 --- 88.9

2019 --- 100.00

This is pace, not ppg (ik you know..but for others reading). ppg during MJ's 1st 3 peat was 105.56, compared to todays 111ppg. Not a huge difference in terms of points scored.

RRR3
09-18-2019, 12:20 PM

Superduperdumb destroyed.

Hey Yo
09-18-2019, 12:21 PM
Pip was on the jump the other day talking About how much easier it was to defend when hand checking was legal. They were showing highlights of him defending magic and he was hand checking and hip bumping him the entire length of the floor. I would love to see a guy like kawhi being able to defend that way now against LeBron, kd,harden or even steph. He'd be terrifying on the defensive end if he could defend that way. Those are all great players so they'd still do there thing but he would certainly make life hell for whoever he was defending and I don't anyone would able to beat the clippers with kawhi, Bev and pg being able to hand check.

NBA should bring hand checking back. It be entertaining as hell.
He did that to Magic for the majority of the 91 Finals.

superduper
09-18-2019, 12:21 PM

You would know about getting destroyed :oldlol:

Hey Yo
09-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Correct...and considering the 80s was when the NBA gained popularity, I'd argue that is a good thing. I'd rather watch a faster pace than slower. Most would agree.

There is a reason why it was called showtime basketball back then, it was entertaining and fast paced with very little defense being played.
added facts to your sentence.

Hey Yo
09-18-2019, 12:27 PM
As usual.... SSDD2EZ

bullettooth
09-18-2019, 12:36 PM

Tranny98 showing her wealth of basketball knowledge. Low scoring means low skill, obviously!

Bosnian Sajo
09-18-2019, 12:36 PM
added facts to your sentence.

No...defense was still being played. You seem to forget some of the ATG defensive players played in that era...guys like Michael Cooper, Sidney Moncrief, Hakeem Olajuwon etc.

It might have been less physical than it was during the 90s, but to actually believe that "very little defense was played" is silly lol.

It's dumb actually. Wtf did a player do back then when the opposing team had the ball, take a nap? They defended lol. You guys are being a little bit extra.

Mark Eaton, Artis Gilmore, KAJ, Hakeem, Robert Parish, Tree Rollins....all of the all time block leaders played in that era.

superduper
09-18-2019, 12:37 PM
Tranny98 showing her wealth of basketball knowledge. Low scoring means low skill, obviously!

More APG means better passer, obviously! :oldlol:

Ainosterhaspie
09-18-2019, 12:40 PM

But they told me handchecking was banned in 2004. I see it all the time when I watch games, especially in the playoffs, but I have to be imagining it because they changed the rules in 2004. I know that when they banned it around 1980 and then again in the 90s people still did it all the time, but the 2004 ban really worked. God's honest truth. There is no handchecking in today's game.

Oh, and those videos where players were getting called for fouls for handchecking Jordan are all CGI. That never happened. Handchecking was everywhere at that time.

Bosnian Sajo
09-18-2019, 12:49 PM

Its the same as assuming high scoring = bad basketball.

Both mindsets are trash. It's just different styles of basketball. Back then, you had a lot more big men going to work down low which slowed the game. Is it a bad thing? No. But that's one of the main things that slowed the game down. Then they came out with the defensive 3 seconds (Shaq), back to basket 5 seconds (Barkley) etc. to limit big men from doing that with the hope that these rules would up the pace.

Which is exactly what happened. IMO, those roles are good but they should allow hand checking. I don't think that impended the pace of the game drastically, and as a person how likes good defense I would welcome it. But I'm not going to act like defense was ONLY played during the 90's and early 00's, something that a lot of you seem to believe.

Hey Yo
09-18-2019, 12:55 PM
No...defense was still being played. You seem to forget some of the ATG defensive players played in that era...guys like Michael Cooper, Sidney Moncrief, Hakeem Olajuwon etc.

It might have been less physical than it was during the 90s, but to actually believe that "very little defense was played" is silly lol.

It's dumb actually. Wtf did a player do back then when the opposing team had the ball, take a nap? They defended lol. You guys are being a little bit extra.

Mark Eaton, Artis Gilmore, KAJ, Hakeem, Robert Parish, Tree Rollins....all of the all time block leaders played in that era.
Very little was played in the Western conference to be specific. When you have 130-140pt final scores with little to no 3pt shots being taken / made... then there isn't much defense being played.

Of course there's the exception of handful of players but team defense was an after thought in the West. Out scoring your opponent was considered team defense

Bronbron23
09-18-2019, 12:56 PM

Yeah players do it from time to time and sometimes it dosnt get called but they don't do it consistently. Kawhi can't pick up James harden and hand check him and hip check him all the way up the floor like pip did to magic. Go look it up on YouTube. It's crazy how much more physical you were allowed to be on the perimeter. Below the foul line hasn't changed at all you can still be aggressive down there