PDA

View Full Version : Was the 2011 "LeQuit" the single most unforgivable legacy ding of any all timer?

MoBe1Kanobi
09-22-2019, 02:29 PM
Discuss

LAmbruh
09-22-2019, 02:39 PM
Imma go with 2011 Sweptbe

https://i.postimg.cc/qMt9McV8/download-7.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/Y0PZz0gG/download-8.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/BZ7r0YyS/broom3.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

RealSkipBayless
09-22-2019, 02:41 PM
It's sad that there are MULTIPLE instances of it.

Gilbert said James quit on the Cavs during their second-round series against the Boston Celtics, who rallied from a 2-1 deficit to eliminate Cleveland.

"He quit," Gilbert said. "Not just in Game 5, but in Games 2, 4 and 6. Watch the tape. The Boston series was unlike anything in the history of sports for a superstar."

"Go back and look at the tape," he said. "How many shots did he take?"

FKAri
09-22-2019, 02:41 PM
It's 2004 "Kwitbe" for me.

Huge Kobe fan here. Seriously, I'm monstrously endowed. But being on the anally receiving side of the biggest finals upset in the last 25 years is a bad look. The multiple cherries on top are the the Chauncey Billups admission that they knew Kobe would sabotage the Lakers. The losing with Shaq, Malone, and GP. All in all it's a tough one for me to swallow. But it seems Kobe fans have no trouble swallowing.

Kblaze8855
09-22-2019, 02:43 PM
Is there were no video to prove it you would have a hard time believing some of the shit Magic Johnson did to lose the 1984 finals when people started calling him

scuzzy
09-22-2019, 02:44 PM
eh 2005, 2014, 2015, 2016 LotteryBe cuts that check by a landslide

Spurs m8
09-22-2019, 04:26 PM
Honestly, where do you even start with this pvssy?

Quitting,
colluding,
Running away everytime things get too hard,
always trying to get more help,
being beaten by largest finals margins,
not making playoffs in a real conference,
3-9,
Entitled and back stabbing passive aggressive team mate,
PEDs,
I could go on....

Still baffles me anyone stans this guy, let alone thinks he is even in the same hemisphere as Jordan on or off the court hahahh

3ball
09-22-2019, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]Is there were no video to prove it you would have a hard time believing some of the shit Magic Johnson did to lose the 1984 finals when people started calling him

Kblaze8855
09-22-2019, 04:58 PM
You think he got all that hate and ended up sitting crying in the shower for half an hour over his statistics? No. It was because he dribbled out the clock when they needed to take a shot for the win. It

Kblaze8855
09-22-2019, 05:03 PM
Seems I already had one in my gfycat folder....

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PaleHospitableEel-size_restricted.gif

I might put together something for a full explanation tomorrow....but a lot of it was just ugly. And none of it is captured in stats.

There

Kblaze8855
09-22-2019, 05:08 PM
Ah. Files were named “tragic” so they were all together....

Just a bunch of head scratching things....

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SphericalSelfreliantArchaeopteryx-size_restricted.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WetThisClumber-size_restricted.gif

All absolutely key plays at the end of games.

It’s like the mob got to him or something....

I’ve been crying in the showers too. Assuming I didn’t throw it for Gotti of course.

SouBeachTalents
09-22-2019, 05:20 PM
I know no one is immune to choking, but it's shocking to me after 2 championships, 2 FMVP's, literally one of the greatest performances ever his rookie year to win the championship, that Magic could fail so miserably multiple times in the clutch like that, after all the ridiculous success he had up to that point to start his career.

LeBron still hadn't won yet and clearly, the pressure of his first title and all the backlash from the decision got to him. But Magic's, much more arbitrary

3ball
09-22-2019, 05:35 PM
You think he got all that hate and ended up sitting crying in the shower for half an hour over his statistics? No. It was because he dribbled out the clock when they needed to take a shot for the win. It’s because he missed those free throws. It’s because of those crazy late turnovers. The one he just threw to the guy guarding worthy for one(Parish? I don’t remember for sure but he was fronting worthy and magic just threw him the ball).

You out here talking about turnover percentage and game score....

The shit is on YouTube. I’m watching football right now. I’m not getting up to assemble a bunch of clips.
the standards were higher back then for superstars - so Magic wept over his mistakes and apologized to fans, while Lebron told everyone to f.uck themselves and go back to their shitty lives

No one felt sorry for Magic or gave him a break - they called him Tragic for a couple butchered possessions that lost the game .. Otoh, only social media buries Lebron for his butchered possessions and 2nd rate production in 2011 - the mainstream media literally ignores 2011 and anything prior tbh.. they ignore 2010 too..

Here's Isiah ignoring 2010 and 2011 when discussing Lebron, while Mike Greenburg and Jalen don't correct him:

"2019 was a failure for Lebron and this is the first time we've seen him fail like this on the professional level"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K7977woGzrU&t=0m12s

His first professional failure? Really?? .. :kobe:... And apparently people like you go for it - you try to ignore 2011 and think "tragic" Johnson compares to it.. But Magic still led his team in production/gamescore, while Lebron was third on his team - Lebron's 2011 failure goes WAY beyond a couple butchered possessions.. He butchered the possessions AND became a 3rd rate player in general for the whole series..

SouBeachTalents
09-22-2019, 05:42 PM
you can't quote my post because the stats are too damning

You're forgetting that the standards were higher back then for superstars - so Magic wept over his mistakes and apologized to fans, while Lebron told everyone to f.uck themselves and go back to their shitty lives

No one felt sorry for Magic or gave him a break - they called him Tragic for a couple butchered possessions that lost the game .. Otoh, only social media buries Lebron for his butchered possessions and 2nd rate production in 2011 - the mainstream media literally ignores 2011 and anything prior tbh.. they ignore 2010 too..

Here's Isiah ignoring 2010 and 2011 when discussing Lebron, while Mike Greenburg and Jalen don't correct him:

"2019 was a failure for Lebron and this is the first time we've seen him fail like this on the professional level"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K7977woGzrU&t=0m12s

His first professional failure? Really?? .. :kobe:... And apparently people like you go for it - you try to ignore 2011 and think "tragic" Johnson compares to it.. But Magic still led his team in production/gamescore, while Lebron was third on his team - Lebron's 2011 failure goes WAY beyond a couple butchered possessions.. He butchered the possessions AND became a 3rd rate player in general for the whole series..
Not even CLOSE to being true :roll: The likes of LeBron & Kobe get crucified for their failures when other ATG's who did the same or similar don't even get theirs mentioned.

In the internet/social media age, the stars of today get picked apart significantly more, and with all the access to information today, their failures are much more well documented than the stars of the past. It's honestly not even disputable.

Kblaze8855
09-22-2019, 05:44 PM
Your stats? I

3ball
09-22-2019, 05:57 PM
Not even CLOSE to being true :roll: The likes of LeBron & Kobe get crucified for their failures when other ATG's who did the same or similar don't even get theirs mentioned.

In the internet/social media age, the stars of today get picked apart significantly more, and with all the access to information today, their failures are much more well documented than the stars of the past. It's honestly not even disputable.
^^^ That's what I hate about all internet boards, not just this one - you didn't read the entire post, so no wonder you claim my points aren't valid - you don't read them all the way through!

My post stated:

"No one felt sorry for Magic or gave him a break - they called him Tragic for a couple butchered possessions that lost the game .. Otoh, only social media buries Lebron for his butchered possessions and 2nd rate production in 2011 - the mainstream media literally ignores 2011 and anything prior tbh.. they ignore 2010 too..

Then I pointed out an example where the mainstream media blatantly ignores 2011 when evaluating his career..

:facepalm #internetboards

Turbo Slayer
09-22-2019, 06:23 PM
No. It helped improved Lebron as a player .ie no more choking

tpols
09-22-2019, 06:33 PM
I know no one is immune to choking, but it's shocking to me after 2 championships, 2 FMVP's, literally one of the greatest performances ever his rookie year to win the championship, that Magic could fail so miserably multiple times in the clutch like that, after all the ridiculous success he had up to that point to start his career.

LeBron still hadn't won yet and clearly, the pressure of his first title and all the backlash from the decision got to him. But Magic's, much more arbitrary

because expectations were finally squarely on him... he was no longer the underdog.

egokiller
09-22-2019, 06:40 PM
Honestly, where do you even start with this pvssy?

Quitting,
colluding,
Running away everytime things get too hard,
always trying to get more help,
being beaten by largest finals margins,
not making playoffs in a real conference,
3-9,
Entitled and back stabbing passive aggressive team mate,
PEDs,
I could go on....

Still baffles me anyone stans this guy, let alone thinks he is even in the same hemisphere as Jordan on or off the court hahahh

They stan him because they are insecure over this:

https://youtu.be/LAr6oAKieHk

SouBeachTalents
09-22-2019, 06:42 PM
because expectations were finally squarely on him... he was no longer the underdog.
But he had already failed, spectacularly, as a huge favorite in his 2nd year; which btw is a perfect example of what I was talking about before with 3ball. The Lakers were the defending champs, playing a 40 win Rocket team in the first round, and in the decisive Game 3, Magic scored 10 points on 2/14 shooting to lose in a massive upset. So even by that point, he had lost AND played like shit as the big favorite

3ball
09-22-2019, 06:44 PM
Your stats? I’ve been ignoring people’s statistical arguments here for 17 years. I think the first argument I was in here that required a “**** your stats...” was Jason Kidd vs Duncan for MVP in 02. I don’t care which of them you think played worse. I wouldn’t ask you to begin with. If LeBron or any teammate of Michael Jordans is one option and anyone else is on the other side you are going to take the other side. Asking your opinion would be a waste of time.

I’m not worried about the comparison. It would just be hilarious to see magics 1984 finals played in the age of social media and sports news.
So we're ignoring the stats on this one and only focusing on Magic's screwups in the clutch??

Okay no problem.. :confusedshrug:

Because apparently you forget that Lebron's 2011 Finals was the worst clutch performance on record - he had exactly zero points in clutch time (within 5 points, last 5 min)

But the reality is that stats do matter if your best player goes from a 28/8/8 all-time great to an 18/6/6 player.. Magic didn't doom his team by turning into a 3rd rate player for the whole series - only Lebron did that, in addition to butchering late game possessions like Magic, i.e. turnovers and by being scared/passing to Wade in spots that he should be shooting

You're just ignoring reality and therefore exposing your allegiance to Lebron no matter what

And btw, if Magic's 84' Finals was played today with social media, it would be perceived like all of Lebron's losses where he still had great stats - everyone would point to his gaudy stats and ignore the critical plays that decided the game... i.e. Lebron's turnover in Game 1 of the 18' Finals and OT quit job.... his quit job in 2010.... his missed shot in 14' that needed Ray to save the series...

And many more - Lebron has as many late-game turnovers as anyone that's ever played, yet everyone points to his stats - it's extremely common to hear people say "well, you can't knock lebron for losing because the team wouldn't be in that position if it wasn't for lebron".. so ur a hypocrite on this

Turbo Slayer
09-22-2019, 06:58 PM
So we're ignoring the stats on this one and only focusing on Magic's screwups in the clutch??

Because apparently you forget that Lebron's 2011 Finals was the worst clutch performance on record - he had exactly zero points in clutch time (within 5 points, last 5 min)

But the reality is that stats do matter if your best player goes from a 28/8/8 all-time great to an 18/6/6 player.. Magic didn't doom his team by turning into a 3rd rate player for the whole series - only Lebron did that, in addition to butchering late game possessions like Magic, i.e. turnovers and by being scared/passing to Wade in spots that he should be shooting

You're just ignoring reality and therefore exposing your allegiance to Lebron no matter what

And btw, if Magic's 84' Finals was played today with social media, it would be perceived like all of Lebron's losses where he still had great stats - everyone would point to his gaudy stats and ignore the critical plays that decided the game... i.e. Lebron's turnover in Game 1 of the 18' Finals and OT quit job.... his quit job in 2010.... his missed shot in 14' that needed Ray to save the series...

And many more - Lebron has as many late-game turnovers as anyone that's ever played, yet everyone points to his stats - it's extremely common to hear people say "well, you can't knock lebron for losing because the team wouldn't be in that position if it wasn't for lebron".. so ur a hypocrite on this LIER

Kblaze8855
09-22-2019, 07:00 PM
So you missed me telling you I don

3ball
09-22-2019, 07:11 PM
LIER
What part

3ball
09-22-2019, 07:20 PM
Stats for last 5 minutes of 2011 Finals, within 5 points

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-22-2019/xqFVe2.gif

https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2010-11&SeasonType=Playoffs&PORound=4

:roll: :roll: :roll: ... :yaohappy:

egokiller
09-22-2019, 07:36 PM

And many more - Lebron has as many late-game turnovers as anyone that's ever played, yet everyone points to his stats - it's extremely common to hear people say "well, you can't knock lebron for losing because the team wouldn't be in that position if it wasn't for lebron".. so ur a hypocrite on this

Even if we omit 2011 and just focus on 2016 game 7, what exactly did Lebron do when it mattered most in the last 4 minutes of play? Sure he scored 10 points leading up to the final 4 minutes in the 4th but it was only because Kyrie lit a fire under his ass by finishing off the 3rd qtr with 10 straight points of his own before the final minute of the 3rd. So what does lebron provide in the last 4 minutes of the biggest game in Cleveland history with all eyes on him?

A shaky free throw and a block. Talk about mentally checking out under pressure.

We know how the story ends.

Kyrie hits the dagger and makes history. Doing what lebron knows he could never do, which is make a go ahead shot in the finals. He's something like 0-8 attempts. Zero killer instinct. Not much of a legacy can be formed around player like that. So when I see hear things like "lebron's legacy", one must ask the question:

What legacy? A legacy of essentially being a modern day Jerry West? Well OK then.

RealSkipBayless
09-22-2019, 07:38 PM
3ball DESTROYING these kids with facts..

egokiller
09-22-2019, 07:40 PM
3ball DESTROYING these kids with facts..

They log into ISH feeling the slight bit of confidence before making a pro Lebron thread only to end the day feeling shit on by 3ball. :roll:

SouBeachTalents
09-22-2019, 07:45 PM
Even if we omit 2011 and just focus on 2016 game 7, what exactly did Lebron do when it mattered most in the last 4 minutes of play? Sure he scored 10 points leading up to the final 4 minutes in the 4th but it was only because Kyrie lit a fire under his ass by finishing off the 3rd qtr with 10 straight points of his own before the final minute of the 3rd. So what does lebron provide in the last 4 minutes of the biggest game in Cleveland history with all eyes on him?

A shaky free throw and a block. Talk about mentally checking out under pressure.

We know how the story ends.

Kyrie hits the dagger and makes history. Doing what lebron knows he could never do, which is make a go ahead shot in the finals. He's something like 0-8 attempts. Zero killer instinct. Not much of a legacy can be formed around player like that. So when I see hear things like "lebron's legacy", one must ask the question:

What legacy? A legacy of essentially being a modern day Jerry West? Well OK then.
LeBron in the 4th of Game 7

Led both teams in scoring by a substantial margin
Had the GOAT block to preserve the tie
Hit the FT to all but clinch the game
Made Straight_Ballin switch accounts

That's a lot more impressive than a single basket

sdot_thadon
09-22-2019, 07:48 PM
It definitely was a bad moment for him, good thing he made up for it with great moments in the years that follow. Only a small niche crowd still bangs this drum, everyone else enjoyed the incredible stuff he did for the game beyond that year.....imagine having a run insane enough to become a goat candidate after having "that" series. Bron James folks:cheers:

Kblaze8855
09-22-2019, 07:57 PM

Do me a favor. Show me a single person who ever watched Jerry West play a basketball game when they were above the age of 10 who has anything bad to say about him.

Show me a single one of them who doesn

3ball
09-22-2019, 08:05 PM
Do me a favor. Show me a single person who ever watched Jerry West play a basketball game when they were above the age of 10 who has anything bad to say about him.

Show me a single one of them who doesn’t consider him among the most clutch players to ever live.

I know we boil a players entire career down to two digits and a slash these days because apparently we are all ****ing morons but can’t we at least leave out people we know nothing about?

Jerry West has done too much for basketball to get sucked into your endless vendetta against LeBron James over his finals record playing teams with 3 times his teams talent. Leave the legends in peace.
I'm sure ego views West and Lebron as all-time greats like everyone else

But Jerry West is nowhere near goat, just like Lebron

That's his point I believe

Turbo Slayer
09-22-2019, 09:07 PM

https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2010-11&SeasonType=Playoffs&PORound=4

Lebron overcame his Finals demons after that year by back-sweeping the stacked 2012 Thunder which consist of James Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, and Durant. He's a GOAT candidate. And in 2013, he had the ''headband'' game where he personally scored 11 points by himself. :rolleyes: Lebron haters will say Ray Allen ''saved'' Lebron's legacy lol but Lebron pulled Miami out the dirty trench. Without Lebron's 11 points sparked a 20-7 run, Miami would have lost. FACTS.

He's a GOAT candidate. Bow down to the King.

Turbo Slayer
09-22-2019, 09:11 PM
^^^ That's what I hate about all internet boards, not just this one - you didn't read the entire post, so no wonder you claim my points aren't valid - you don't read them all the way through!

My post stated:

"No one felt sorry for Magic or gave him a break - they called him Tragic for a couple butchered possessions that lost the game .. Otoh, only social media buries Lebron for his butchered possessions and 2nd rate production in 2011 - the mainstream media literally ignores 2011 and anything prior tbh.. they ignore 2010 too..

Then I pointed out an example where the mainstream media blatantly ignores 2011 when evaluating his career..

:facepalm #internetboards

Kblaze, ether this fool. Call for his ban please.

305Baller
09-22-2019, 09:12 PM
Magic was either coked up out of his mind or laying down for the mafia.

:lol

Turbo Slayer
09-22-2019, 09:12 PM
Magic was either coked up out of his mind or laying down for the mafia.

:lol :roll:

3ball
09-22-2019, 09:26 PM
Lebron overcame his Finals demons after that year by back-sweeping the stacked 2012 Thunder which consist of James Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, and Durant. He's a GOAT candidate. And in 2013, he had the ''headband'' game where he personally scored 11 points by himself. :rolleyes: Lebron haters will say Ray Allen ''saved'' Lebron's legacy lol but Lebron pulled Miami out the dirty trench. Without Lebron's 11 points sparked a 20-7 run, Miami would have lost. FACTS.

He's a GOAT candidate. Bow down to the King.
Both guys have high points, but only Lebron has chokes, losses as the favorite, record losses or 4-0 sweeps.

The only kind of losses MJ had are the excusable ones - where he was an underdog, had good stats, and played good defense

Otoh, Lebron loses as the favorite (09-11')... He loses with horrific stats (07' Finals, 08' ECSF, 11' Finals)... And/or he loses with horrific defense (14' Finals, 15' Finals, 17' Finals, 18' Finals)

imdaman99
09-22-2019, 09:29 PM
No he literally redeemed himself a year later. All you anti-Lebron guys are so obsessed. I used to be one, then I came to realize he will be one of the greatest I have ever seen.

SouBeachTalents
09-22-2019, 09:30 PM
No he literally redeemed himself a year later. All you anti-Lebron guys are so obsessed. I used to be one, then I came to realize he will be one of the greatest I have ever seen.
If 2016 didn't convince them, nothing ever will :lol They'll just hate for the irrational sake of hating

imdaman99
09-22-2019, 09:32 PM
If 2016 didn't convince them, nothing ever will :lol They'll just hate for the irrational sake of hating
Hate is stronger than love, it couldn't be more convincing :lol

Turbo Slayer
09-22-2019, 09:34 PM

Lebron hater turned into Lebron stan?

Love you. I wish that we could be friends. Welcome to the Lebron family.

:banana: :dancin :hammertime: :djparty

Turbo Slayer
09-22-2019, 09:35 PM
Hate is stronger than love, it couldn't be more convincing :lol

:roll:

RRR3
09-22-2019, 09:39 PM
Haha I remember when LeBron converted you back in 2015. Respect for changing your mind, that’s really hard for sports fans, sadly.

3ball
09-22-2019, 09:47 PM
^^^^ a clever tactic you used there ... :kobe:

You pretended that the dispute was about whether Lebron was an all-time great or not, so you can act like Lebron-haters are wrong

But everyone thinks Lebron is an all-time great, even lebron-haters - that wasn't the issue - the issue is whether he's goat, and the haters are on the right side on that one

The only kind of losses that MJ had are the excusable ones - losses where he was an underdog, had good stats, and played good defense

Otoh, Lebron loses as the favorite (09-11')... He loses with horrific stats (07' Finals, 08' ECSF, 11' Finals)... And/or he loses with horrific defense (14' Finals, 15' Finals, 17' Finals, 18' Finals)

So Lebron has all these low points that MJ never had ... And MJ had more high points too - 6 rings as "the man" (#1 all-time), versus only 3 for Lebron

egokiller
09-22-2019, 10:12 PM
LeBron in the 4th of Game 7

Led both teams in scoring by a substantial margin
Had the GOAT block to preserve the tie
Hit the FT to all but clinch the game
Made Straight_Ballin switch accounts

That's a lot more impressive than a single basket

No, none of that is more impressive than Kyrie winning the game for the city of Cleveland by hitting that shot.

His performance in the final for minutes of play showed that he never had the killer instinct, and never will.

Even though Kyrie won it, it was still won against a team on fumes that had just come back being down 3-1 in the WCF with 3 injured starters and a suspended player.

stalkerforlife
09-22-2019, 10:17 PM

:wtf:

egokiller
09-22-2019, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]Do me a favor. Show me a single person who ever watched Jerry West play a basketball game when they were above the age of 10 who has anything bad to say about him.

Show me a single one of them who doesn

3ball
09-22-2019, 10:32 PM
Lebron hater turned into Lebron stan?

Love you. I wish that we could be friends. Welcome to the Lebron family.

:banana: :dancin :hammertime: :djparty
He lied

He pretended the dispute was about whether Lebron was an all-time great or not, so he could act like Lebron-haters are wrong

But everyone thinks Lebron is an all-time great, even lebron-haters - that wasn't the issue - the issue is whether he's goat, and the haters are right on that one

Ultimately, MJ's losses are excusable - he only lost as an underdog with good stats and defense.. whereas Lebron loses as the favorite (09-11')... with horrific stats (07' Finals, 08' ECSF, 11' Finals)... and with horrific defense (14' Finals, 15' Finals, 17' Finals, 18' Finals)

And MJ had more high points too - 6 rings as "the man" (#1 all-time), versus only 3 for Lebron

Manny98
09-23-2019, 09:41 AM
Nothing worse than 1-9 :oldlol:

superduper
09-23-2019, 10:04 AM
Nothing worse than 1-9 :oldlol:

Agreed, 1*/9 is the biggest joke in sports history :oldlol:

jayfan
09-23-2019, 12:40 PM
It's 2004 "Kwitbe" for me.

Huge Kobe fan here. Seriously, I'm monstrously endowed. But being on the anally receiving side of the biggest finals upset in the last 25 years is a bad look. The multiple cherries on top are the the Chauncey Billups admission that they knew Kobe would sabotage the Lakers. The losing with Shaq, Malone, and GP. All in all it's a tough one for me to swallow. But it seems Kobe fans have no trouble swallowing.

2004 wasn't a choke. It was losing to a better team. No one looks at the '04 Pistons as fluke champions.

The multiple cherries on top are the the Chauncey Billups admission that they knew Kobe would sabotage the Lakers

Link?

Stringer Bell
09-23-2019, 07:21 PM
You think he got all that hate and ended up sitting crying in the shower for half an hour over his statistics? No. It was because he dribbled out the clock when they needed to take a shot for the win. It’s because he missed those free throws. It’s because of those crazy late turnovers. The one he just threw to the guy guarding worthy for one(Parish? I don’t remember for sure but he was fronting worthy and magic just threw him the ball).

You out here talking about turnover percentage and game score....

The shit is on YouTube. I’m watching football right now. I’m not getting up to assemble a bunch of clips.

Magic and The Lakers totally choked away both games 2 and games 4. Magic and Worthy made the key errors. Worthy had been playing brilliantly in game 2 before that horrible pass to Henderson that forced OT in game 2, and Worthy had like 10 points in overtime alone in game 4 before missing one free throw in OT, then Maxwell started doing the choke sign (Worthy then did a cheap shot foul on him in game 6)

Magic definitely would have been shredded in the social media age for his 1984 finals. But I don’t think it is as bad as Lebron’s 2011 finals, or Kobe’s 2004 finals, for this reason; Magic had been playing great up to those points in these close games. If he doesn’t play great for 40+ minutes, the Lakers likely wouldn’t have been in those positions in the first place. LeBron played average for 3 quarters and disappeared for the fourth quarter. And they STILL were in good position to win games 2, 4, and 5. If LeBron had simply played well for 3 quarters, Miami probably would have won because they wouldn’t have been in those positions in the first place. So I think LeBron was worse. And Kobe was pretty crappy for 4 of the 5 games in 04’ although I don’t think LA would have won anyway. Detroit was a better and deeper team

This is how the choking went in 84’

Game 2: Lakers up 2 with 20 seconds or so, Worthy throws an awful pass that gets stolen by Henderson, who ties it up. Magic loses track of the clock and tries to pass it and regulation runs out. In OT, LA was still up by one with about 20 seconds or so, but Wedman hit a baseline jumper. Parish made a big steal on Mcadoo to pretty much seal the game.

Game 4: Magic and Riley always talk about how McHale’s clothesline on Rambis was a turning point in the series. Maybe it had an effect, but that was way back in the 3rd quarter. The Lakers CHOKED big time during the last minute. They had a 5 point lead with less than a minute left. DJ missed a little shot in the lane, but the Lakers gave up another offensive rebound and Parish converted on the old fashioned 3 point play. The Lakers had the ball back, up 2, but not only couldn’t convert, but fouled Boston when Boston got the rebound. Boston ties the game up on the line. With the game tied, you hear Dick Stockton (a better NBA commentator than that smug MJ ass-kisser Bob Costas) say “you can be sure Magic won’t let the clock run out this time”. Instead, he threw an awful pass that Parish stole. The best passer ever made one of the worst passes I’ve ever seen.

With the game tied with less than a minute left, Magic had a chance for a fast break, but Boston fouled before the fast break could be converted. Luckily for them, as Magic missed both FTs. Then Bird hit a fadeaway over Magic to take the 2 point line. As I said earlier, Worthy had a dominating OT, but missed a FT and could only cut it to 1, and ML Carr sealed the game with a steal and dunk

Game 7: LA almost made a great comeback, but Magic made some key turnovers at the end. Cooper saved him after the 1st crunch time TO with a chase down block. But after Magic’s next TO, the series was as good As done.

I know Bird was quoted as telling his teammates that LA totally choked and gave it away to them. I also liked hearing how he took pleasure knowing that Magic was suffering after losing. :roll:

Turbo Slayer
09-23-2019, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=Stringer Bell]Magic and The Lakers totally choked away both games 2 and games 4. Magic and Worthy made the key errors. Worthy had been playing brilliantly in game 2 before that horrible pass to Henderson that forced OT in game 2, and Worthy had like 10 points in overtime alone in game 4 before missing one free throw in OT, then Maxwell started doing the choke sign (Worthy then did a cheap shot foul on him in game 6)

Magic definitely would have been shredded in the social media age for his 1984 finals. But I don