PDA

View Full Version : Cali to let ncaa players get paid.

nayte
10-01-2019, 06:48 AM
I'm not the biggest LeBron fan but this is good and good for LeBron to be invloved

Turbo Slayer
10-01-2019, 06:52 AM
:rockon: LeBron is now LeKind.

nayte
10-01-2019, 07:00 AM
:rockon: LeBron is now LeKind.

I can go with that very Lekind.
It is a good thing. They should have been paid a long time ago. Biggest con in a while
#lekind

FultzNationRISE
10-01-2019, 10:22 AM
I can go with that very Lekind.
It is a good thing. They should have been paid a long time ago. Biggest con in a while
#lekind

It’s good for the handful of individuals who will get paid. Maybe not particularly good for the logistics and competitive balance of college/amateur athletics.

Doesnt matter to me either way, I dont really follow college sports. But if kids with no academic motivation are just going for a year to get paid and wait to be drafted... why not just go directly to the G league?

This is like a political “feel good” thing because the few players who will get paid are mostly black. But in the big picture it seems kinda pointless and unnecessary.

But hey, thats how I feel about watching amateur athletes in the first place, so... :confusedshrug:

superduper
10-01-2019, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=FultzNationRISE]It

FultzNationRISE
10-01-2019, 10:33 AM
They're not getting paid by the NCAA, they are just allowed to profit off of their identity now and sign sponsorships.

I know, but do you think the average mediocre college swimmer for Nebraska Tech A&M is gonna get sponsorships? Or the right fielder on a women’s softball team?

The practical effect of this law is to give the top basketball and football players the chance at a few mil before they turn pro. It’s like <1% of college athletes.

They could just go to the G League and sign sponsorship deals, but the G League doesnt offer near as much exposure. So the only reason 1-and-done players would go to college is to build their individual brand for a year? Is that why people tune in to college sports?

Personally I think colleges are a total scam in terms of academics AND athletics. Theyre a waste of most peoples time and money. So Im totally cool with seeing people snub them. However, on principle, I dislike government involving itself in these matters instead of the public making its own decisions.

But the public isnt really smart enough to do that, which is why theyre always begging the government for more laws, so whatever.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2019, 01:10 PM
Hopefully every NBA team will have their own Gleague team soon and they will have a real minor league. Student athletes in the NCAA, the best players in the NBA and young guys with potential that don't want to go to college in the Gleague

scuzzy
10-01-2019, 04:39 PM
This is going to leverage recruiting, thats fckd

Doesn’t it have to go ncaa nationwide to approve? Wtf is state wide, let Cali have its own college league bubble then

Every big 5* HS recruit will bounce to USC. Why wouldn’t they?

nayte
10-04-2019, 05:34 AM
They all should be paid . California or not. Lebron said it best how they would have made millions of him so why not. Eff that free education rubbish

FultzNationRISE
10-04-2019, 06:49 AM
They all should be paid . California or not. Lebron said it best how they would have made millions of him so why not. Eff that free education rubbish

These were the rules of college athletics long before it was a billion dollar industry and long before many of the players came from underprivileged backgrounds.

The rules were made to keep college athletics functioning as an amateur competition, rather than have the playing field skewed by the politics of financial reward.

People act like these prohibitions were created 20 years ago when tv contracts blew up, as some kind of “slavery scheme.” The system was set up this way from the beginning for the purpose of giving college sports a different function from professional sports. Nobody HAS to go to college. If you dont think you benefit proportionally as a player, just go find a pro league after high school. People act like theyre entitled to make the government pass laws accommodating them personally etc.

Anyway, as I said, for the most part I dont care bc I dont watch much college ball and I think college educations are a rip off. Im mainly just annoyed by bad arguments, which you hear a lot of in these kinda of topics.

nayte
10-04-2019, 07:11 AM
These were the rules of college athletics long before it was a billion dollar industry and long before many of the players came from underprivileged backgrounds.

The rules were made to keep college athletics functioning as an amateur competition, rather than have the playing field skewed by the politics of financial reward.

People act like these prohibitions were created 20 years ago when tv contracts blew up, as some kind of “slavery scheme.” The system was set up this way from the beginning for the purpose of giving college sports a different function from professional sports. Nobody HAS to go to college. If you dont think you benefit proportionally as a player, just go find a pro league after high school. People act like theyre entitled to make the government pass laws accommodating them personally etc.

Anyway, as I said, for the most part I dont care bc I dont watch much college ball and I think college educations are a rip off. Im mainly just annoyed by bad arguments, which you hear a lot of in these kinda of topics.

I’m not .. sorry hit reply

I’m not American so not sure about all the politics involved I just don’t agree that a free education repays the millions that they make of Athletes .

FultzNationRISE
10-04-2019, 07:21 AM
I’m not .. sorry hit reply

I’m not American so not sure about all the politics involved I just don’t agree that a free education repays the millions that they make of Athletes .

Well listen, Im all in favor of athletes getting paid whatever they can negotiate. I dont give a shit about “college integrity.” Doesnt matter to me.

But if they wanna get paid, make demands to the NCAA and negotiate. If the public supports them, then turn off your TVs until athletes get paid.

Turning to the government and demanding someone else run their program on your terms, by law, is so pathetic. And politicians are quick to do it bc theyll score points with cringey SJWs who see this as “slavery” and think theyre playing rescuer.

It’s not the role of government to dictate terms between two sides. This just encourages people to be lazy, stupid, and dependent on the government instead of fighting their own battles. It’s pathetic.

nayte
10-04-2019, 07:41 AM
Well listen, Im all in favor of athletes getting paid whatever they can negotiate. I dont give a shit about “college integrity.” Doesnt matter to me.

But if they wanna get paid, make demands to the NCAA and negotiate. If the public supports them, then turn off your TVs until athletes get paid.

Turning to the government and demanding someone else run their program on your terms, by law, is so pathetic. And politicians are quick to do it bc theyll score points with cringey SJWs who see this as “slavery” and think theyre playing rescuer.

It’s not the role of government to dictate terms between two sides. This just encourages people to be lazy, stupid, and dependent on the government instead of fighting their own battles. It’s pathetic.

I don’t really disagree with your first part . I don’t know about the rest it feels like an American thing with the sjw and slavery talk . I will say with government we have full health coverage and I pay it with my taxes and I would not change that but I do kind of agree with your assements on politics in general

90sgoat
10-04-2019, 08:33 AM
The college players profit of the name of their jerseys: Duke etc are huge names.

People come to see Duke play, not Mr. One-and-Done of the year.

I hope someone opens an investigation into the academic fraud that allows these people to take spots from deserving students.

GimmeThat
10-04-2019, 08:47 AM
now they just need to allow underage kids to be eligible as NCAA players