PDA

View Full Version : Curry/Nash - 2MVPs each, Kobe/Durant - 1MVP each

StrongLurk
10-01-2019, 11:41 PM
It's interesting how Kobe and Durant are ahead of Curry and Nash in the all-time rankings (Curry closer than Nash), yet Curry and Nash have more MVPs.

It's kind of amazing how Kobe and Durant each only have 1 MVP. I confidently rank Durant ahead of Curry all-time...yet people can make a good argument that Curry's last 5 years are better than Durant's best 5 years and maybe even Kobe's best 5 years.

Idk, Curry is such an enigma and hard to rank all time.

SouBeachTalents
10-01-2019, 11:47 PM
What other years should Kobe & especially Durant have been MVP?

Mr Feeny
10-02-2019, 01:41 AM
Durant has double Curry's FMVPs. He has double the seasons where he was the best player on a championship team. When they were both in their primes, in the same tifle team, Durant was the number 1 option. Because he was the better player.

MVPs, though, dont always mean you're the best player. If they did, Jordan, Lebron, and shaq would each have 8+.

Stephonit
10-02-2019, 02:53 AM
Awards are determined by the eye of the beholder. Wins are less influenced by such biases.

I confidently rank Curry ahead of Durant all-time. Why would anyone do otherwise? Durant's 2014 MVP year impressive as it was wasn't as stunning as Curry's 2016. Curry's team won the only playoffs match-up that pitted them against each other. Curry's been to the finals more times without Durant than Durant has without Curry. When Durant was racking up points in their series with the Rockets the Warriors were losing. It was when play went through Curry that the Warriors started winning.

LeBron and Shaq weren't the best player for 8 years.

GimmeThat
10-02-2019, 03:48 AM
here's the math behind it

set current interest rate at n

say one investment is set at cap of 9,000 with a return of n+2, and the other investment is set at cap of 10,000 with a return of n+1.5

rational people would find the first investment being the better choice.

however, due to black market activities, there's actually a population where excess cash is depreciated due to the inability to reinvest them elsewhere generating a return exceeding n.

thus, by mass volume of the ignorant not having a life outside of basketball, there are actually arguments about the second investment being the better option floating around in existence.

note to self - n is correlated with the percentage of income of basketball activities NBA receives, thus, higher the n, the less value the award becomes

Mr Feeny
10-02-2019, 03:48 AM
Awards are determined by the eye of the beholder. Wins are less influenced by such biases.

I confidently rank Curry ahead of Durant all-time. Why would anyone do otherwise? Durant's 2014 MVP year impressive as it was wasn't as stunning as Curry's 2016. Curry's team won the only playoffs match-up that pitted them against each other. Curry's been to the finals more times without Durant than Durant has without Curry. When Durant was racking up points in their series with the Rockets the Warriors were losing. It was when play went through Curry that the Warriors started winning.

LeBron and Shaq weren't the best player for 8 years.

Yeah fair enough. I thought Lebron was the best 2008 onwards (maybe 2009) and probably stopped at 2013. You could argue that he was still the best in 2016 but was saving himself for the big moments, and therefore his numbers weren't as impressive.

SouBeachTalents
10-02-2019, 03:53 AM

say one investment is set at cap of 9,000 with a return of n+2, and the other investment is set at cap of 10,000 with a return of n+1.5

however, due to black market activities, there's actually a population where excess cash is depreciated due to the inability to reinvest them elsewhere generating a return exceeding n.

thus, by mass volume of the ignorant not having a life outside of basketball, there are actually arguments about the second investment being the better option floating around in existence.

note to self - n is correlated with the percentage of income of basketball activities NBA receives, thus, higher the n, the less value the award becomes
Shut the fck up

GimmeThat
10-02-2019, 04:21 AM
Shut the fck up

you know what they say about the dogs who bites the hand that feeds them right? just like the girl who's dad missed her dance recital

MrFonzworth
10-02-2019, 04:48 AM

You didn't consider the fact that Steve Nash is living rent free in your head:lol

ImKobe
10-02-2019, 05:00 AM
Durant and Kobe are better players, so maybe MVP is a meaningless award?

warriorfan
10-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Durant has double Curry's FMVPs. He has double the seasons where he was the best player on a championship team. When they were both in their primes, in the same tifle team, Durant was the number 1 option. Because he was the better player.

MVPs, though, dont always mean you're the best player. If they did, Jordan, Lebron, and shaq would each have 8+.

This guy couldn

MrFonzworth
10-02-2019, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=warriorfan]This guy couldn

Bronbron23
10-02-2019, 12:01 PM
It's interesting how Kobe and Durant are ahead of Curry and Nash in the all-time rankings (Curry closer than Nash), yet Curry and Nash have more MVPs.

It's kind of amazing how Kobe and Durant each only have 1 MVP. I confidently rank Durant ahead of Curry all-time...yet people can make a good argument that Curry's last 5 years are better than Durant's best 5 years and maybe even Kobe's best 5 years.

Idk, Curry is such an enigma and hard to rank all time.
MVPs matter for sure but there not the bar. There's fmvp's, scoring titles, first team defensive teams. You could also just look at who was the best player in the league for the longest. Often times mvp's arnt even the best player. Kobe was the best player in the league for a few years anyway. I'm not sure if nash or Steph ever were. You could argue Steph in 15-16 but his finals performance makes it questionable.

And1AllDay
10-02-2019, 05:30 PM
Shaq only has 1 too

StrongLurk
10-02-2019, 05:31 PM
Guys, I'm well aware there is more to rankings than MVPS.

I just find the debate of who is better between Durant and Curry fascinating, and even putting Kobe in the comparison.

I think Durant might be the best out of all three...and yet you can make good arguments that Curry and Kobe are better.

And1AllDay
10-02-2019, 05:31 PM

I just find the debate of who is better between Durant and Curry fascinating, and even putting Kobe in the comparison.

I think Durant might be the best out of all three...and yet you can make good arguments that Curry and Kobe are better.

good points but kobe is #2 behind bran

Bronbron23
10-02-2019, 06:01 PM

I think Kobe is above both but it's a fair comparison between kd and curry. Curry is definitely a better fit for the way the warriors like to play with all the screens and movement. On a team that focuses on more iso ball kd would be a better fit. I'd say the the last few finals speaks for itself. It's clear that kd scores much easier than curry. He can get a shot of anytime in any situation. Curry on the other hand has to run around multiple screens to be an effective scorer. Kd is also a much better defender.

Stephonit
10-02-2019, 07:00 PM
I think Kobe is above both but it's a fair comparison between kd and curry. Curry is definitely a better fit for the way the warriors like to play with all the screens and movement. On a team that focuses on more iso ball kd would be a better fit. I'd say the the last few finals speaks for itself. It's clear that kd scores much easier than curry. He can get a shot of anytime in any situation. Curry on the other hand has to run around multiple screens to be an effective scorer. Kd is also a much better defender.

As I said earlier the series with the Rockets tell the story. KD can iso to his heart's content and the Rockets will have smiles on their faces. Give the ball to Curry, however, and the Rockets blow up in mid-air.

Bronbron23
10-02-2019, 09:39 PM
As I said earlier the series with the Rockets tell the story. KD can iso to his heart's content and the Rockets will have smiles on their faces. Give the ball to Curry, however, and the Rockets blow up in mid-air.
Well styles makes fights I guess. It's actually pretty hard trying to determine who's better between the 2 to be honest. I say kd because of what I've already mentioned but I honestly wouldn't be mad at anyone who says curry so I won't bother arguing the matter

nashwade
10-02-2019, 09:51 PM
MVP is awarded to the player who is MOST important to his team's success and has, more often than not, resulted in the team significantly improve their standings year on year.

E.g. if you lead your team of scrubs to 3 straight #1 seed in your conference, you are likely to only win it in the first year. The second and third years are like, meh.

Say if a player leads the Knicks in the coming season from 15th seed last year to 3rd seed this year, that guy's gonna get MVP, provided he is clearly the best player on the team and they wouldn't have done it without him.

Very clear explanations on your observation of Curry/Nash and Kobe/KD

CodeBreaker
10-03-2019, 04:01 AM
Durant had to join Curry who beat his arse after blowing a 3-1 lead. How is he better than Curry lol

GoSpursGo1984
10-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Durant had to join Curry who beat his arse after blowing a 3-1 lead. How is he better than Curry lol
Exactly what I was gonna say KD did not win anything before joining Curry

Bronbron23
10-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Exactly what I was gonna say KD did not win anything before joining Curry’s team. Curry had already won a Championship before he arrived.
This is a little weak tbh. Curry only had a chip because LeBron lost his 2nd and 3rd best player. Kd would of had a chip too if LeBron lost Wade and Bosh in 2012. There equally as good. One was just luckier than the other.

StrongLurk
10-04-2019, 09:04 PM
This is a little weak tbh. Curry only had a chip because LeBron lost his 2nd and 3rd best player. Kd would of had a chip too if LeBron lost Wade and Bosh in 2012. There equally as good. One was just luckier than the other.

Exactly.

Kiddlovesnets
10-04-2019, 09:14 PM
Curry wins 3 titles, and 1 as the alpha man. Nash never made it to finals, these two ain

Hey Yo
10-05-2019, 01:43 AM

Those 3 players are good for debate. Noone in the top 10 should be involved in a KD, Kobe, Curry ranking discussion.