PDA

View Full Version : Just Saw Joker

sammichoffate
10-03-2019, 11:44 PM
10/10, movie made me uncomfortable the entire time. Every scene was well shot, the plot wasn't some huge mess of comicbook stereotypes. Didn't even feel like a comic book movie, definitely worth multiple screenings. On par with Ledger and Nicholson's Joker portrayals as well imo.

Real Men Wear Green
10-04-2019, 12:02 AM
I'm asking for a spoiler, so if you reply please use white text: does Batman make an appearance in any form?

FultzNationRISE
10-04-2019, 12:06 AM
I'm asking for a spoiler, so if you reply please use white text: does Batman make an appearance in any form?

Hans solo dies

sammichoffate
10-04-2019, 12:17 AM
I'm asking for a spoiler, so if you reply please use white text: does Batman make an appearance in any form?Yes, although it's only in like 2 scenes. The film is more focused on his dad, Thomas Wayne.

MrFonzworth
10-04-2019, 01:04 AM
I heard Bryan Callen played the Joker role. How was he?

Real Men Wear Green
10-04-2019, 01:16 AM
wite textThank you.

sammichoffate
10-04-2019, 01:22 AM
Thank you.Np.

coin24
10-04-2019, 07:57 AM
10/10 masterpiece :applause:

Knock knock

ROCSteady
10-04-2019, 08:07 AM
This was close to a masterpiece. It really has you thinking about the plot after, for reasons I won't get into.

Phoenix killed it. The entire movie is fascinating but the last 20 minutes are radical, brahs

GimmeThat
10-04-2019, 09:59 AM
can't comment on Nicholson's, but I think with Ledger, you saw envy, and with Phoenix, you saw wrath.

stalkerforlife
10-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Hard to believe Joaquin's mom lives right down the road from me in this small ass town.

Facepalm
10-04-2019, 12:15 PM
This was close to a masterpiece. It really has you thinking about the plot after, for reasons I won't get into.

Phoenix killed it. The entire movie is fascinating but the last 20 minutes are radical, brahs

It sure did, terrible movi....wait, I thought you were talking about the X-Men franchise. NVM carry on.

PullupJay
10-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Oh oh oh O'rileys...auto parts
:roll:

Patrick Chewing
10-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Hard to believe Joaquin's mom lives right down the road from me in this small ass town.

I would knock on her door and tell her how great her son is.

ROCSteady
10-04-2019, 03:34 PM
This movie was like Taxi Driver x Fight Club x The Machinist BUT

...with the goddam Joker.

Enough said.

macmac
10-04-2019, 04:06 PM

Enough said.

Except all those movies are infinitely better, with the possible exception being the machinist .

I liked the movie, but the hand holding, spoon feeding and exposition required for the modern moviegoer to get it, takes away from the poignancy.

The incel/mass shooter controversy is also interesting. When making art, should you worry about what kind of societal issue it can incite? I was talking to a friend after the movie, and being a gambling man, established the odds of a mass shooting At a joker screening at 20%.

Smoke117
10-04-2019, 04:23 PM
I'll probably go see it monday.

egokiller
10-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Oh oh oh O'rileys...auto parts
:roll:

Wrong thread :lol

tpols
10-04-2019, 04:34 PM

Enough said.

Seen all 3...gonna have to watch this.

Facepalm
10-04-2019, 04:58 PM
So when Batman begins his crime fighting career in his mid 20's..Joker is going to be 60 years old?

Draz
10-04-2019, 05:10 PM
Haven't seen taxi driver or the machinist

sammichoffate
10-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Except all those movies are infinitely better, with the possible exception being the machinist .

I liked the movie, but the hand holding, spoon feeding and exposition required for the modern moviegoer to get it, takes away from the poignancy.

The incel/mass shooter controversy is also interesting. When making art, should you worry about what kind of societal issue it can incite? I was talking to a friend after the movie, and being a gambling man, established the odds of a mass shooting At a joker screening at 20%.How did it hand hold? Every scene kept contributing to his descent into madness. I felt like I knew what was going to happen but then they kept putting a twist on it before adding even more uneasiness. If it didnt make you feel uncomfortable then you must have balls of steel.

It's really not, it's people fear mongering and oversimplifying issues that they dont understand so they can feel good about themselves. Ironically, the main theme of the film shifts all over that notion. We should do more to prevent shit like that by trying to understand the less fortunate instead of casting them out of society from our moral high horse. Violent media and art doesn't cause violence, it's been constantly disproven and I'm tired of the shitheads using that as a talking point. Great art makes people feel the highest ranges of human emotion, especially if it makes you uncomfortable. Limit that and you start to limit human progress.

ShawkFactory
10-04-2019, 06:22 PM
Yea you should probably watch taxi driver ASAP.

Machinist is good but TD is one of the GOATs. De Niro

ROCSteady
10-04-2019, 06:53 PM

The incel/mass shooter controversy is also interesting. When making art, should you worry about what kind of societal issue it can incite? I was talking to a friend after the movie, and being a gambling man, established the odds of a mass shooting At a joker screening at 20%.

I can see your perspective actually as far as maybe being a bit more subtle but like you said, has to suit the avg Joe. I wasn’t saying this movie is on par with Taxi Driver and the like, just def homages and thematically, was like all 3.

As for your concern for potential violence, yeah well where do we draw the line of what to screen, content wise? The MPAA always been a joke and it seems arbitrary exercise anyway. I’m very much on the side of free speech and artistic licensing being protected at all costs.

When well-circulated publications cease to put POV body cam shots on the front page of a lady about to have her life ended and going all the way back from the eerie Time cover of Columbine security footage of Klebold and Harris with Tek 9s. That’s reality. The truth is a lot of these psychos are more influenced by previous shootings than anything entertainment wise.

ROCSteady
10-04-2019, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=ShawkFactory]Yea you should probably watch taxi driver ASAP.

Machinist is good but TD is one of the GOATs. De Niro

TheMan
10-04-2019, 07:14 PM

Enough said.
:eek:

You got me even more psyched to watch it now.

TheMan
10-04-2019, 07:16 PM
:facepalm

Don't bother, you probably wouldn't get it anyways.

TheMan
10-04-2019, 07:20 PM
My 9 year old wants to watch it... definitely a no? :lol

macmac
10-04-2019, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=ROCSteady]I can see your perspective actually as far as maybe being a bit more subtle but like you said, has to suit the avg Joe. I wasn

sammichoffate
10-04-2019, 07:58 PM
My 9 year old wants to watch it... definitely a no? :lolThey wouldn't enjoy it as much because they're too young to understand complex themes the movie has. The movie isnt really violent until the last 1/3rd or so, it's more of a character study so don't expect John Wick or anything.

coin24
10-04-2019, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=macmac]I like it when a movie can make me feel uneasy and uncomfortable. I think it

Smook A.
10-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Absolutely loved it.

Joaquin killed it in the role. The story was extremely well-written. It was sad, exciting, a little funny at times, and just kept you on the edge.

I give it a 9/10

Smook A.
10-04-2019, 08:27 PM
Taxi Driver is on Netflix. Go watch it.

ROCSteady
10-04-2019, 09:14 PM
So when Batman begins his crime fighting career in his mid 20's..Joker is going to be 60 years old?

That was my main problem with the movie :lol

If they were gonna do an alternate take, shoulda said Bruce was home from boarding school or something and went to the opera/ movies.

macmac
10-04-2019, 09:22 PM
When has a movie incited violence in a theatre? This horse shit of an incel outrage is so pathetic.:facepalm

Whether you want to believe it or not is irrelevant, some theatres have banned ppl dressing up like clowns, undercover nypd cops in New York theatre, and another theatre shut down due to credible threat. There

highwhey
10-04-2019, 09:29 PM
Whether you want to believe it or not is irrelevant, some theatres have banned ppl dressing up like clowns, undercover nypd cops in New York theatre, and another theatre shut down due to credible threat. There’s enough ppl that seem to think something can definitely happen.
Plus, it's not like the US army issued a memo to it's soldiers to be on the lookout and gave instructions to seek cover in case of an incel shooter.

Oh wait, it actually did.

Coin24 sounds like a triggered incel.

TheMan
10-04-2019, 09:31 PM
They wouldn't enjoy it as much because they're too young to understand complex themes the movie has. The movie isnt really violent until the last 1/3rd or so, it's more of a character study so don't expect John Wick or anything.

TheMan
10-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Whether you want to believe it or not is irrelevant, some theatres have banned ppl dressing up like clowns, undercover nypd cops in New York theatre, and another theatre shut down due to credible threat. There’s enough ppl that seem to think something can definitely happen.

Unbelievable

ROCSteady
10-04-2019, 09:45 PM
I like it when a movie can make me feel uneasy and uncomfortable. I think it’s one of Joker’s biggest strengths.

I just think this movie can potentially incite violence in movie theatres. That’s not a knock on the movie, it’s a knock on American modern society.

I’m just saying for discussions sake, as a filmmaker, how does that come into play during the creative process. It has to be in the back of your mind

Artists are eccentric people, their voice or vision or whatever you wanna call it, is really all that matters to many, and I get that. A lot of directors are intrigued by extremes of society because of their curiosity for evil and darkness. I doubt many really care or would be willing to accept any type of responsibility even if it was directly influential.

Then consider the suits. These guys ONLY care about profit margins from the budget. I don't think a lot of these Illuminati cats would change their method of getting more rich. The only way they restrict art is when they know it will affect box office.

WB prolly said fck it, let's go hard with this because they needed a shot in the arm, have had a lot of big budget mishaps lately. They knew a provocative movie about THE JOKER (mass appeal/icon) would be not as risky as a regular drama of this ilk because teenagers will still be able to spend mom and dad's skrilla regardless of rating

I wanna see this movie again. I've been thinking of it on and off all day :eek:
I may even reactivate my blog site and write a review

JEFFERSON MONEY
10-04-2019, 09:53 PM
Felt bad for him when that woman told him to stop bothering his son.

Also felt bad when they smashed him with yellow sign.

And when they attacked him in train.

I hope this kind of bullying stops irl.

CelticBaller
10-04-2019, 10:19 PM
I like it when a movie can make me feel uneasy and uncomfortable. I think it’s one of Joker’s biggest strengths.

I just think this movie can potentially incite violence in movie theatres. That’s not a knock on the movie, it’s a knock on American modern society.

I’m just saying for discussions sake, as a filmmaker, how does that come into play during the creative process. It has to be in the back of your mind
Yeah just like videos games are to blame whenever a white kid shoots up a school :roll:

ROCSteady
10-04-2019, 10:20 PM
It just occurred to me how similar the subplot with Murray was to what Tosh.0 does

macmac
10-04-2019, 10:32 PM
Yeah just like videos games are to blame whenever a white kid shoots up a school :roll:

I

stalkerforlife
10-04-2019, 10:45 PM
Y'all want a video of Joaquin's mom's house?

So interesting she lives in this tiny town in a quaint house.

They must have a strained relationship.

Smoke117
10-04-2019, 10:56 PM
A theater by my moms house that I've been to plenty of times actually got closed down for the night last night after a "credible" threat was made. :oldlol:

RoseCity07
10-04-2019, 11:50 PM
Going to see this in about an hour. Hope it's as good as everyone says. DC has a pretty shit reputation but they have usually done a good job with Batman.

I like Batman Begins and Dark Knight.

I have a hard time believing this Joker is going to be as good as Heath Ledger's.

Prometheus
10-05-2019, 01:34 AM
Good thing it's going to be a standalone.

ROCSteady
10-05-2019, 01:54 AM
Going to see this in about an hour. Hope it's as good as everyone says. DC has a pretty shit reputation but they have usually done a good job with Batman.

I like Batman Begins and Dark Knight.

I have a hard time believing this Joker is going to be as good as Heath Ledger's.

Ledger is more iconic and will remain so for many movie nerds but Phoenix reached the tier, in terms of acting.

Lakers Legend#32
10-05-2019, 02:39 AM
Seeing it Sunday after football.

scuzzy
10-05-2019, 02:54 AM
Pretty sick film for a villain flick

Joaquin's a versatile actor, all of his supporting roles like in Signs and Gladiator are extremely well done and believable

https://i.postimg.cc/X73x8yL5/jp-gladiator-Copy.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/bwwgXcKN/Signs-Header-Copy.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

LAmbruh
10-05-2019, 03:43 AM
society turns shy white man with mental illness into a serial killer

- 99% Yelp

https://i.postimg.cc/cLrSxJjv/wellwho-would-have.jpg

RoseCity07
10-05-2019, 04:00 AM
I liked it. It was pretty much what the trailer made it look like.

Joaquin Phoenix is an elite actor. They made the right choice. That was Oscar worthy.

There were a few problems I had with the writing. Some character inconsistencies with the Joker. Other than that it was a solid movie. 8/10

sammichoffate
10-05-2019, 04:14 AM
I liked it. It was pretty much what the trailer made it look like.

Joaquin Phoenix is an elite actor. They made the right choice. That was Oscar worthy.

There were a few problems I had with the writing. Some character inconsistencies with the Joker. Other than that it was a solid movie. 8/10What issues did you have w/ the writing? You can put spoilers in white text.

TheMan
10-05-2019, 11:40 AM
Pretty sick film for a villain flick

Joaquin's a versatile actor, all of his supporting roles like in Signs and Gladiator are extremely well done and believable

https://i.postimg.cc/X73x8yL5/jp-gladiator-Copy.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/bwwgXcKN/Signs-Header-Copy.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
First time I noticed Joaquin was in To Die For, dug his work ever since.

iamgine
10-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Great movie. Would definitely make my top 10 of all time.

superduper
10-06-2019, 12:48 AM
Absolute MASTERPIECE.

It's very difficult for me to put anything even on the tier of Spiderverse but Joker surpassed it.

****ing brilliant on nearly all fronts.

Kblaze8855
10-06-2019, 12:34 PM
I just saw it. That was only a comic book movie in that three or four people in it have origins in comic books but it was in no way comic book....ish. Which is to be expected. They said the director pitched Phoenix on the idea of sneaking a good movie in under the disguise of a comic book movie. He’s gotta at least be nominated for an Oscar but I can see why people were concerned.

A normal person would see that movie for what it is. Somebody already on the verge of ****ed up?

I don’t know. You can’t not create art because there are maniacs in the world but you just know a lot of people were sitting in that theater completely understanding where he was coming from and wishing they could do what he did.

I wonder what Jared Leto thinks about it after the absolute cartoon he played while trying to be all method.

The Heath/Phoenix debate is gonna last a long time.

Vino24
10-06-2019, 02:54 PM
Joker character is extremely overrated and EASY to make look good on the screen. Now the real challenge would be making legit good cat woman

Andrei89
10-06-2019, 02:59 PM
Just saw the movie.

Absolute masterpiece.

Joaquin Phoenix will win best actor by unanimous vote. In fact this might be a top 5 performance of all time.

Movie itself is incredibly good, probably top 20 all time but it won

Facepalm
10-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Video games don't star loser incels that get bullied all their lives until they snap. Mentally imbalanced virgins can identify with this and will see themselves in the Joker character. They will watch the movie and say "Hey, that's me", and use the movie as an inspiration to imitate. Now compare that to Halo, Counterstrike, Gears of Wars, Doom etc...see the difference?

CelticBaller
10-06-2019, 04:01 PM
Video games don't star loser incels that get bullied all their lives until they snap. Mentally imbalanced virgins can identify with this and will see themselves in the Joker character. They will watch the movie and say "Hey, that's me", and use the movie as an inspiration to imitate. Now compare that to Halo, Counterstrike, Gears of Wars, Doom etc...see the difference?
GTA SA starts a gangbanger, did it influence a gang banging rise?

How about GTA 5? Did it increase retired mobsters to start robbing banks again?

Facepalm
10-06-2019, 04:16 PM
GTA SA starts a gangbanger, did it influence a gang banging rise?

How about GTA 5? Did it increase retired mobsters to start robbing banks again?

How do you know it didn't? I know for a fact Gangsta Rap had an effect on kids wanting to be thugs.

And besides, try reading what I posted before you facepalm...Joker makes the character personal...it can push someone who is going through the same shit as the character to act out what the Joker did. It's not going to turn a perfectly normal person into a shooter, but could for someone who is already an incel. GTA isn't going to turn a normal guy into a thug, you are missing the entire point of the argument. :facepalm

Kblaze8855
10-06-2019, 04:46 PM
Some guy cheering too wildly made some people leave in New York. He reportedly spit on people asking him to be quiet. Not sure if he was insane or drunk.

Norcaliblunt
10-06-2019, 05:05 PM
The Joker is a juggalo.

Smoke117
10-06-2019, 05:21 PM
Some guy cheering too wildly made some people leave in New York. He reportedly spit on people asking him to be quiet. Not sure if he was insane or drunk.

He was drunk. Someone said they saw him pour a bottle of tequila in his drink.

PullupJay
10-06-2019, 07:50 PM
I loved it 10/10

CelticBaller
10-06-2019, 08:02 PM
How do you know it didn't? I know for a fact Gangsta Rap had an effect on kids wanting to be thugs.

And besides, try reading what I posted before you facepalm...Joker makes the character personal...it can push someone who is going through the same shit as the character to act out what the Joker did. It's not going to turn a perfectly normal person into a shooter, but could for someone who is already an incel. GTA isn't going to turn a normal guy into a thug, you are missing the entire point of the argument. :facepalm
GTA did not turn a Thug into a serial killer

Move on, your point is stupid

highwhey
10-06-2019, 08:08 PM
He was drunk. Someone said they saw him pour a bottle of tequila in his drink.
you ever bring that drank to the theater? snuck in some beer once, made it a better experience.

Hawker
10-06-2019, 08:13 PM

Rock n roll is the devil!

Smoke117
10-06-2019, 08:47 PM
you ever bring that drank to the theater? snuck in some beer once, made it a better experience.

I brought some shooters last friday when I went to see Rambo 5. They were actually 99 bananas shooters lol. I hadn't had that in years and it was 4 for 5 so I was like, what the hell, why not? Also, this theater sells booze now, so I got a coke crown royale icee drink. Frankly, it just made me have to piss twice during the movie so I was just annoyed. Beer, for sure, would just make you really have to piss, so I don't see the point in drinking a beer while at the movies. At home, sure, when you can just pause it.

Draz
10-06-2019, 09:42 PM
Just buy the super small size shots and pour it in the ice's

Smoke117
10-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Just buy the super small size shots and pour it in the ice's

I just wanted to try it for the hell of it. I wouldn't get another one again.

greymatter
10-07-2019, 07:50 AM
Phoenix's acting was superb. That's about it.

How the character was written was rather lame. You could possibly accept his transformation from a meek weakling, but definitely not a meek weakling who was borderline retarded.

greymatter
10-07-2019, 07:52 AM

Going in watching it knowing RT gave it ~69%, I knew for certain that it wasn't.

Phoenix did a superb job with what he was given for source material. Unfortunately that material was "meh".

sammichoffate
10-07-2019, 01:18 PM
Joker character is extremely overrated and EASY to make look good on the screen. Now the real challenge would be making legit good cat womanhttps://hips.hearstapps.com/esq.h-cdn.co/assets/15/29/1024x512/landscape-1436820630-jared-leto-joker.png

https://media.tenor.com/images/e277813d1ea97e51826b41371d6396ea/tenor.png

sammichoffate
10-07-2019, 01:25 PM
GTA did not turn a Thug into a serial killer

Move on, your point is stupidIt's bullshit. The "controversy" surrounding the movie is all manufactured by the media, they're practically begging for a mass shooting at this point. They probably didn't even see the movie, if they did then they would know that no one would want the Joker's horrible ****ing life. He's not even an incel in the movie, he becomes that way because of mental illness and societal apathy. The movie itself is multiple choice and open to interpretation, it's more nuanced than becoming a homicidal maniac because he couldn't get laid.
https://media.giphy.com/media/XsUtdIeJ0MWMo/giphy.gif

red1
10-07-2019, 01:27 PM
I liked it a lot. It wouldn't fit into a larger batman universe but as a standalone it did what it was trying to do, was unsettling at first and then you almost root for the guy when he is unleashed

spoiler:

movie was probably an unpleasant watch for late night talk show hosts watching de niro get murked like that on live television "you get what you deserve."

kimmel probably wondering if there are mentally ill trump fans out there that he triggered LMAO

andgar923
10-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Some films leave an impression even after the film is over. You keep marinating what you just saw like a good meal that you can keep tasting hours after you ate it.

The last film I saw that I kept thinking about after watching was Children of Men. It was a dark glim look at what our world could turn in too. It's not the only dystopian film, but it's the one that left the biggest imprint on me.

This film is the second one.

I saw it 4 hours ago and Im still thinking about it.

Joaquin's performance was amazing. There are scenes that show how great he was such as how his character can transform within the same scene with a simple look in his eye, his smile, his walk, his dancing. He displayed what great acting was all about. He showed pain, vulnerability, anger, rage all in the blink of an eye. One went from feeling sympathy to fear with a single movement.

But what truly left the most imprint was the world that they lived in. It's scarily reminiscent of our current society. Like with Children of Men it gives us a glimpse of what is possible in our world.

I can see why some are cautious of this film, it shouldn't be taken lightly.

andgar923
10-11-2019, 07:03 PM
For those that don't know me, Im a huge horror fiend. I've seen hundreds of horror films from all across the world. I not only watch horror films, I study them. One of my dreams was to make a horror film. While I didn't make a horror film, I have written short plays and scenes and directed some of them in class projects.

I don't say this lightly, but this shit was a horror film.

It was a masterclass in tension building and suspense.

Like an MJ turnaround, you know it's coming, you know he's gonna do it, you're prepared for it, you challenge it yet he still hits it.

Same with this film.

You saw what was about to happen, it was predicted, you know it's coming yet you're still uncomfortable, you're still shocked by it. That takes an understanding on how to shoot a scene, how to keep your audience in suspense, fill the room with tension which are all trademarks of a great horror film.

90sgoat
10-11-2019, 08:12 PM
Saw it tonight.

Great film.

ArbitraryWater
10-12-2019, 07:56 PM
just saw it

super well done

well shot

amazing evolution

not something i'd really see again tho, too chaotic/unsatisfied of an ending

ArbitraryWater
10-12-2019, 07:58 PM
this movie gonna inspire some freaks, btw

even hardcore leftist nuts arent out of the equation

they love that anarchy shit at the end

basically a parody of their rioting

VeeCee15
10-12-2019, 11:54 PM
it's not a 10/10 movie face value.

just because it's "joker" and has the DC/batman brand behind it...people are automatically giving this movie 3 points or more higher than it is.

Imagine if the name of the title was something else and had no references to DCl....at best it is a 7/10 film face value.

It was actually very basic and not crazy enough...people give it a free pass cause it's DC/marvel!

tontoz
10-13-2019, 01:18 PM
I thought it was ok. I might have liked it more if not for Ledger in the Dark Knight. This Joker comes off as dumb. Ledgers Joker didnt come off as dumb to me.

Was it really necessary to show him shirtless so often? It is like they were trying to show off the fact that he lost weight for the movie.

sammichoffate
10-13-2019, 02:24 PM
I thought it was ok. I might have liked it more if not for Ledger in the Dark Knight. This Joker comes off as dumb. Ledgers Joker didnt come off as dumb to me.

Was it really necessary to show him shirtless so often? It is like they were trying to show off the fact that he lost weight for the movie.He's not Joker during most of the film, so it's not correct to compare him to Ledger's portrayal in that way. I think it was a visual representation of living in poverty, he looked malnourished.

Prometheus
10-13-2019, 02:40 PM

Was it really necessary to show him shirtless so often? It is like they were trying to show off the fact that he lost weight for the movie.

Agreed. He seemed not only weak, but of mild intelligence.

90sgoat
10-13-2019, 03:05 PM

just because it's "joker" and has the DC/batman brand behind it...people are automatically giving this movie 3 points or more higher than it is.

Imagine if the name of the title was something else and had no references to DCl....at best it is a 7/10 film face value.

It was actually very basic and not crazy enough...people give it a free pass cause it's DC/marvel!

It's not about Joker from Batman at all.

They used the name to sell tickets. How many normies do you think would buy a ticket about a mentally ill loner who lives with his mom, unless it had the Joker label?

SomeBlackDude
10-21-2019, 11:02 PM

then people would recognize it for what it was- an obvious homage to taxi driver and the king of comedy. deniro being cast as the jerry lewis character was a brilliant touch.

ROCSteady
10-21-2019, 11:24 PM
It was a great move considering true film buffs understand the Scorsese connections. Originally, I believe he was supposed to direct this so it made obvious sense to have De Niro since Marty was involved.

I need to watch this movie again. It still has me thinking on it, it was so ****ing good and provocative

Andrei89
10-22-2019, 02:22 AM
It's not about Joker from Batman at all.

They used the name to sell tickets. How many normies do you think would buy a ticket about a mentally ill loner who lives with his mom, unless it had the Joker label?

> Not Joker from batman
> movie is in Gotham, we see Thomas Wayne and a kid Bruce Wayne

pick one

SomeBlackDude
10-22-2019, 10:28 AM
It was a great move considering true film buffs understand the Scorsese connections.

no doubt. it was the perfect late 70s/early 80s nyc scorsese flick clone. you could tell phillips has seen taxi driver 100 times and even knows marty's more obscure catalogue like king of comedy.

the set design was immaculate. down to the graffiti on the subways and the late night talk show set details.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/5ozNz2yQpvo08/source.gif

Originally, I believe he was supposed to direct this so it made obvious sense to have De Niro since Marty was involved.

was he gonna direct? i know he was always on board to produce.

TheMan
12-20-2019, 11:59 PM
Finally watched Joker last night and honestly, felt it was a bit of a letdown. People here calling it a masterpiece :lol For a comic book movie, I guess it's top tier but it fell short compared to the two most obvious movies the director was inspired from, TD and KOC. Felt like the Thomas Wayne subplot was forced. Also the obvious age discrepancy between the Joker and Batman. Too many flaws, Joaquin was great though and did the best with what he had...might give it a second viewing to see if it grows on me more but 7/10.