PDA

View Full Version : Butler left Timberwolves because of Wiggins

LukeWalton
10-07-2019, 01:40 AM
https://www.inquisitr.com/5674525/jimmy-butler-unhappy-timberwolves-andrew-wiggins/

TLDR: Butler upset Wiggins got a max extension for not working hard enough and playing poorly

:bowdown:

MrFonzworth
10-07-2019, 02:32 AM
He left because McConnell told him he needs a lockeroom bitch for the next half year.

PeroAntic
10-07-2019, 06:18 AM
Giving Wiggins that contract was the worst decision in recent NBA history.

Kblaze8855
10-07-2019, 06:25 AM
Do something for me....

Think of the last time a top pick put up 24ppg and didnt get a max extension or close to it.

He put up 28ppg 2 of the last 3 months of that season. He had 5 40 point games.

Has there been a situation in all history where a 21 year old presumed franchise player is putting up those numbers and doesnt get a huge extension?

Hes not worth it....but im not sure how Minny was supposed to know it. Some guys get the money and lose the drive. Hard to know before they get it. The worst contracts are the guys who get paid because they might have something in them. Wiggins was paid coming off a good season. In a league non all stars get 180 million im not sure what number is right for a guy who was that age and apparently growing.

What number wouldnt seem too high? 110? 120? All the numbers would seem too high in retrospect.

Mask the Embiid
10-07-2019, 06:33 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/3rVzTSPv/fa3b24b4-cb45-486e-ab39-736f94eb2958-USP-NBA-Brooklyn-Nets-Medi.jpg

PeroAntic
10-07-2019, 06:34 AM
Do something for me....

Think of the last time a top pick put up 24ppg and didnt get a max extension or close to it.

He put up 28ppg 2 of the last 3 months of that season. He had 5 40 point games.

Has there been a situation in all history where a 21 year old presumed franchise player is putting up those numbers and doesnt get a huge extension?

Hes not worth it....but im not sure how Minny was supposed to know it. Some guys get the money and lose the drive. Hard to know before they get it. The worst contracts are the guys who get paid because they might have something in them. Wiggins was paid coming off a good season. In a league non all stars get 180 million im not sure what number is right for a guy who was that age and apparently growing.

What number wouldnt seem too high? 110? 120? All the numbers would seem too high in retrospect.
Come on, it was always obvious that Wiggins is just not a max player. he has so many weak points. I get that he was paid based on potential but when you don't improve any aspect of your game at all from first to third year, except the volume at which youre shooting the ball, the writing is on the wall. The guy has zero court vision, no left hand, poor handling skills, poor FT shooter, doesn't rebound, awful defender (both man to man and team defence), no off the ball movement. It was plain for anyone to see.

chains5000
10-07-2019, 06:36 AM
Wall's max contract could be even worse. We'll know once he comes back.

Kblaze8855
10-07-2019, 06:58 AM
Come on, it was always obvious that Wiggins is just not a max player. he has so many weak points. I get that he was paid based on potential but when you don't improve any aspect of your game at all from first to third year, except the volume at which youre shooting the ball, the writing is on the wall. The guy has zero court vision, no left hand, poor handling skills, poor FT shooter, doesn't rebound, awful defender (both man to man and team defence), no off the ball movement. It was plain for anyone to see.

Obviously it wasn

ImKobe
10-07-2019, 07:08 AM
Wall's max contract could be even worse. We'll know once he comes back.

Wall earned his contract with high-level play, Wiggins did nothing to deserve that deal. We can say Wall's contract was bad in hindsight due to injuries but Wiggins is just a terrible basketball player.

Wall played 4 seasons in a row without significant injury, averaging 20/4/10 and getting his team past the first round 3 times. We're comparing a 5x All-Star and 1x All-NBA player who plays well on both ends to a role player. They gave him a max extension without him even being an all-star or making the Playoffs once.

chains5000
10-07-2019, 07:12 AM
Wall earned his contract with high-level play, Wiggins did nothing to deserve that deal. We can say Wall's contract was bad in hindsight due to injuries but Wiggins is just a terrible basketball player.
Wiggins is a bad player but you're also judging him in hindsight.
Back then he was a young former #1 pick who was improving. I wouldn't have given him that extension but you can't say it was the worst decision in history if you judge it according to the moment in which the contract was signed.

I said Wall in hindsight, obviously.

ImKobe
10-07-2019, 07:19 AM
Wiggins is a bad player but you're also judging him in hindsight.
Back then he was a young former #1 pick who was improving. I wouldn't have given him that extension but you can't say it was the worst decision in history if you judge it according to the moment in which the contract was signed.

I said Wall in hindsight, obviously.

We saw all the red flags with Wiggins though, whether it was his non-existent defense or lack of work ethic. He did have a decent season ppg-wise but that was empty calories on a 30-win team.

chains5000
10-07-2019, 07:21 AM
We saw all the red flags with Wiggins though, whether it was his non-existent defense or lack of work ethic. He did have a decent season ppg-wise but that was empty calories on a 30-win team.
I agree and, as I said, I wouldn't have given him that contract, but you can't say it was that bad a decision BACK THEN.

brooks_thompson
10-07-2019, 07:26 AM
KBlaze, the major problem with the Wiggins extension at the time was that they had no reason to max him out after that 3rd season. They had just acquired Jimmy Butler, so they should’ve waited a year to monitor that fit and they still would’ve been able to match any offer, or even to give him the full five years he got.

People were already grumbling about Wiggins’ work ethic and his inability to give you anything besides points on a lot of shots. He wasn’t at all the defender he was touted to be. Then you throw in Thibs wanting to trade Wiggins instead of Lavine in the Jimmy Butler package.

And what are we left with? A stupid owner meddling in basketball decisions, making a too hasty decision to max out his player. This EVEN AFTER he admitted he had concerns about Wiggins work ethic and wanted to ‘look him in the eye’ and get a promise from him that he would improve. Wiggins must be an incredible salesman, or Glen Taylor a huge pushover.

Include Wiggins’ awful regression during the Jimmy Butler season (which you could now include in your evaluation if you hadn’t already maxed him) and you have a really easy decision on whether to max him.

In related news, giving Jamal Murray the full five year max was stupid, but at least he cares about basketball. 24 ppg or not, everyone already knew by his 3rd season that Wiggins didn’t give two shits about the game or have any professional pride.