PDA

View Full Version : Zion is the next Charles Barkley

StrongLurk
10-07-2019, 10:57 PM
He might not quite be the rebounder that Charles is, but he could be even more dynamic scoring the ball.

RoseCity07
10-07-2019, 11:05 PM
A fat loser that never wins anything. Got it.

Round Mound
10-07-2019, 11:14 PM
He probably won't develop the post game and the touch around the basket Sir Charles had.

21.6 PPG on 58.13% FG on only 12.9 FGAs PG for 16 seasons (including those passed his prime in Houston as 3rd option)

22.5 PPG on 55.13% FG on only 14.5 FGAs PG for Play-Off Runs (including those passed his prime in Houston as 3rd option)

SouBeachTalents
10-07-2019, 11:25 PM
Can the dude play a single regular season game before proclaiming him a top 20 player all time :lol

FultzNationRISE
10-07-2019, 11:28 PM
Can the dude play a single regular season game before proclaiming him a top 20 player all time :lol

Based on tonights performance Im ready to rank him comfortably in the 12-14 range.

305Baller
10-08-2019, 12:00 AM

yes.

DaHeezy
10-08-2019, 02:02 AM
On the transition maybe. But Sir Charles dominated in the post. Top 5 low post player of all-time. Zion is closer to Lebron as a scorer. Or at least closer on a spectrum.

AussieSteve
10-08-2019, 04:12 AM
Chuck was something else.

Here are some numbers to illustrate this. Playoffs only. 3pt era only. Q = 100 games played.

Top 5 offensive boards per game.
1. Barkley
2. Shaq
3. Rodman
4. Wallace
5. Oakley

Top 5 defensive boards per game.
1. Barkley
2. Garnett
3. Duncan
4. Malone
5. Bird

Top 5 total boards per game.
1. Barkley - 12.9
2. Shaq - 11.6
3. Duncan - 11.4
4. Hakeem - 11.2
5. Wallace - 11.2

^^^ look at that gap between Barkley and the rest!

Top 5 assists per game for bigs (C/PF)
1. Draymond
2. Barkley
3. Horford
4. Garnett
5. Diaw

Top 5 points per game for bigs (C/PF)
1. Hakeem
2. Dirk
3. Malone
4. Shaq
5. Barkley

Top 5 scoring efficiency (ts%) for 20+ ppg bigs (C/PF)
1. Barkley
2. Kareem
3. Dirk
3. Hakeem
5. Shaq

Based on playoff performance he is in the conversation for
1. GOAT rebounder of 3pt era
2. GOAT play making big of 3pt era
3. GOAT scoring big of 3pt era

madmax
10-08-2019, 04:25 AM
I dunno why people are acting like comparing an unproven rookie to an NBA legend is some sort of insult now:lol Peak Chuck was an offensive monster - much more versatile player than Zion anyway

Kblaze8855
10-08-2019, 05:25 AM

I dont get how people like you even root for players. How many people have won something Barkley didnt in your life? As a teams best player I mean. 14 maybe?

If all the rest are losers.....who are you even repping? The Blazers franchise has not done anything Barkley didnt in the last century 40+ years. Dame a loser who never wins anything?

If Zion is 80% of Barkley hes in the HOF.

ImKobe
10-08-2019, 05:36 AM
He might not quite be the rebounder that Charles is, but he could be even more dynamic scoring the ball.

Yeah, it's as close as we've seen anyone be to Chuck tbh. A bit taller and more athletic, looks like he's trying to add the 3 to his game as well.

Kblaze8855
10-08-2019, 06:41 AM
I think saying he

ILLsmak
10-08-2019, 07:23 AM
watch the knees.

-Smak

90sgoat
10-08-2019, 08:37 AM
He doesn't look to have the appetite for rebounding like Chuck did.

He is more like a rich man's Oliver Miller.

The ultimate small ball center.

AussieSteve
10-08-2019, 08:52 PM
Barkley was a freak athlete, but he also had GOAT skills around the basket.

Zion is obviously a freak athlete, but that alone won't make him a top tier ATG.

Round Mound
10-09-2019, 12:08 AM

Here are some numbers to illustrate this. Playoffs only. 3pt era only. Q = 100 games played.

1. Barkley
2. Shaq
3. Rodman
4. Wallace
5. Oakley

1. Barkley
2. Garnett
3. Duncan
4. Malone
5. Bird

1. Barkley - 12.9
2. Shaq - 11.6
3. Duncan - 11.4
4. Hakeem - 11.2
5. Wallace - 11.2

1. Draymond
2. Barkley
3. Horford
4. Garnett
5. Diaw

1. Hakeem
2. Dirk
3. Malone
4. Shaq
5. Barkley

1. Barkley
2. Kareem
3. Dirk
3. Hakeem
5. Shaq

:applause: :bowdown: :cheers: :rockon: :pimp: :banana:

bizil
10-09-2019, 05:12 PM
If you're going to compare Zion to ANY legend from the past, it's going to be Chuck. Due to the fact he's in that 6'6 280 pound range, a freak athlete, and a marketable phenom, that's the apt comparison. Barkley coming out of Auburn was 270 pounds himself. Of course he eventually dropped some of that weight in the league. And ALL COMPARISONS aren't dead on comparisons. Or a MJ-Kobe type of comparison. It's more about finding the player MOST SIMILAR. And when it comes to legends, the Barkley comparison is the one to make.

But upside wise at his size, I see him being a mix of Charles BUT could potentially have Anthony Mason type of defensive versatility. Being able to defend big swingmen to C's effectively. But able to get 25PPG-12RPG-4-5AST a night like Chuck would get. Not saying he will put that package together right away. BUT when u look at his physicial attributes, freak athletic ability, and motor, Barkley mixed with some Anthony Mason would be a SICK perennial All Star type of player!

If Barkley was an elite and versatile defender like Mase was in that era, he could have POSSIBLY been the best player on the planet FLAT OUT! It would have been close between him and MJ at one point! Only difference is in today's game, u have the guys like AD and Giannis LONG TERM would combine all those elements BUT they are much taller than Zion at the PF spot. Or in Giannis' case PF-SF.

DaHeezy
10-09-2019, 05:29 PM
If you're going to compare Zion to ANY legend from the past, it's going to be Chuck. Due to the fact he's in that 6'6 280 pound range, a freak athlete, and a marketable phenom, that's the apt comparison. Barkley coming out of Auburn was 270 pounds himself. Of course he eventually dropped some of that weight in the league. And ALL COMPARISONS aren't dead on comparisons. Or a MJ-Kobe type of comparison. It's more about finding the player MOST SIMILAR. And when it comes to legends, the Barkley comparison is the one to make.

But upside wise at his size, I see him being a mix of Charles BUT could potentially have Anthony Mason type of defensive versatility. Being able to defend big swingmen to C's effectively. But able to get 25PPG-12RPG-4-5AST a night like Chuck would get. Not saying he will put that package together right away. BUT when u look at his physicial attributes, freak athletic ability, and motor, Barkley mixed with some Anthony Mason would be a SICK perennial All Star type of player!

If Barkley was an elite and versatile defender like Mase was in that era, he could have POSSIBLY been the best player on the planet FLAT OUT! It would have been close between him and MJ at one point! Only difference is in today's game, u have the guys like AD and Giannis LONG TERM would combine all those elements BUT they are much taller than Zion at the PF spot. Or in Giannis' case PF-SF.

That was long winded to say something way off. Chuck has post moves for days which will never be emulated by Zion. In fact no modern day player even comes close to that skillset. And Zion is definitely not the closest.

Zion is a downhill slasher with crazy athleticism. If anything he is more of a early Larry Johnson. Or Amar'e Stoudemire, or Shawn Kemp.

I suspect this will hurt your ego. But like I said, you made such a long winded post I felt the need to correct you.

bizil
10-09-2019, 07:03 PM
That was long winded to say something way off. Chuck has post moves for days which will never be emulated by Zion. In fact no modern day player even comes close to that skillset. And Zion is definitely not the closest.

Zion is a downhill slasher with crazy athleticism. If anything he is more of a early Larry Johnson. Or Amar'e Stoudemire, or Shawn Kemp.

I suspect this will hurt your ego. But like I said, you made such a long winded post I felt the need to correct you.

LMAO!!! Hoops forums don't hurt my ego. It's not THAT SERIOUS! The bigger issue is YOU ARE SLOW!!! And don't know how to comprehend shit! I said earlier in my post that all comparisons AREN'T dead on exact comparisons. Barkley at Auburn was in that 270-275 pound area. THAT right there eliminates guys like Larry Johnson, Amare, or Kemp. Those guys were NEVER that size. Barkley and Zion are TWO OF A KIND for PF's in that 6'5 to 6'6 area who carry that weight. YET are still freakish athletic at the same time! LJ was 25-30 pounds lighter in college in that Chuck and Zion were.

So FOR THOSE REASONS, Zion compares more to Barkley than ANY OTHER legend! I see some LJ in his game somewhat. BUT LJ was NEVER quite the dominant overall force that Barkley was in the NBA. LJ was NEVER a top 5 player in the world. Hell was never a top 10 player in the league. So when it comes size, freak athletic ability, and potential upside, Barkley is the more apt comparison among the LEGENDARY PLAYERS!

The subject is Zion the next Charles Barkley. So i responded to the subject of the thread. NEVER said it was an exact match to begin with SLOWPOKE! But among the legends, Barkley would be the closest comparison. Guys like Kemp and Amare are two TOTALLY different players than Zion. Freak athletic ability they have in common. But Barkley was a more COMPLETE PLAYER than those two. Zion SHOULD BE a more complete player than those two!

bizil
10-09-2019, 09:22 PM

1. Barkley
2. Shaq
3. Rodman
4. Wallace
5. Oakley

1. Barkley
2. Garnett
3. Duncan
4. Malone
5. Bird

1. Barkley - 12.9
2. Shaq - 11.6
3. Duncan - 11.4
4. Hakeem - 11.2
5. Wallace - 11.2

1. Draymond
2. Barkley
3. Horford
4. Garnett
5. Diaw

1. Hakeem
2. Dirk
3. Malone
4. Shaq
5. Barkley

1. Barkley
2. Kareem
3. Dirk
3. Hakeem
5. Shaq

To this day, no PF combined scoring-passing-rebounding like Barkley. Even better than guys like Webber, Duncan, KG, Malone, etc. If Giannis is considered a PF, he's in that group too. But even in the case of Giannis, Barkley had a more complete scoring skillset.

So when people compare Zion to Barkley, that's not SAYING he will combine those elements just as good OR better than Chuck. Or he plays exactly like Barkley. BUT I still think Zion's size compares most favorably to young Chuck BEFORE Chuck lost some weight.

And at Duke, he did shit that reminded me of a new age Barkley type of player. And ultimately, I think Zion has the goods to be a great scoring, passing, and rebounding PF as a 6'6 burly PF. WHILE exhibiting the freak athletic ability and handles that a SF would have. Those are elements from the Barkley blueprint!

StrongLurk
10-09-2019, 10:07 PM
I'm telling you, Zion will be another Charles Barkley. Maybe not as good...or maybe just as good.

The underrated aspect of Zion is how quick and high of a TWO-FOOTED leaper he is...which is a very important part of basketball athleticism. Charles has the same capabilities, but Zion is even more athletic.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
10-09-2019, 10:29 PM
He's a combo of all the guys mentioned here.

Or most of them anyway.

I see a lot of 80s Barkley in Zion. Full court terror who bulldozes to the cup. GREAT athlete. Aesthetic power dunker like Kemp too.

Larry Johnson though? Not seeing it. I was never high on LJ's game so its probably bias.

ClipperRevival
10-09-2019, 11:56 PM
Zion is just a tier above Chuck as an athlete. Chuck was mostly a 1 foot leaper who needed a head of steam to get up. Zion is GOAT tier at both 1 or 2 feet. So he can go over the top of people off 2 feet or beat people to the basket with his speed via 1 feet.

Many "experts" say this and it's true: There has never been a guy quite like him. Dude can jump off 2 feet and get his head at rim level (something only a few players could ever do) and do FT line dunks with ease off 1 feet. The other guy who was GOAT tier at both was MJ.

ClipperRevival
10-10-2019, 12:04 AM
I would say in terms of pure explosiveness of the floor, Zion resembles me of Kemp. People forget how EXPLOSIVE Kemp was. Dude was a freak. And Kemp was also explosive off both feet. He had the speed to run like a deer but also the deep knee bend to get in a crouch and go over the top of people near the basket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHb875YbbrA

305Baller
10-10-2019, 12:08 AM
he got an ass like Barkley

:lol

scuzzy
10-10-2019, 12:11 AM
He'll be better than Barkley

He's a generational talent similar to Lebron, you can compare him to the likes of past players but come mid career he'll have surpassed those comparisons and become his own genre to be compared to.

There's simply nobody with handles, speed, size and hops we've ever seen in the NBA before. At least not anybody that can put the ball in the basket

ClipperRevival
10-10-2019, 12:56 AM
Check these clips out.

First one is a FT line dunk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deu4GZaYFiM

2nd, gets his head at rim level with EASE off 2 feet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWgP4u8ovFg

These are the 2 greatest measures of pure athleticism. Jump and cover horizontal ground off 1 feet and explode off 2 feet and get your head at rim level. Next level athlete. We are lucky to watch this guy going forward. :bowdown:

ClipperRevival
10-10-2019, 01:03 AM
And this is where Zion even separates himself from Bron. Bron is primarily a 1 foot leaper, perhaps the GOAT at it but Zion is GOAT tier at both. Only MJ was GOAT tier at both.

scuzzy
10-10-2019, 01:11 AM
And this is where Zion even separates himself from Bron. Bron is primarily a 1 foot leaper, perhaps the GOAT at it but Zion is GOAT tier at both. Only MJ was GOAT tier at both.
Lebron and Zion's leaping ability separate themselves from Jordan at the weight of 70-100 pounds heavier

Apples n Oranges

Round Mound
10-10-2019, 01:53 AM
You people are forgeting underrating young Barkley in terms of athleticism. Zion is more acrobatic in his dunks and a better leaper but Barkley was still one of the most athletic players ever.

- Barkley was stronger.
- Barkley at 6'4 and 5/8 ft could stand right under the rim and dunk off one leg at 285 lbs
- Barkley would dunk while jumping off two legs under the rim most of his career. He actually had the strongest legs in the NBA prior to Shaq.
- He could move at near to 300 lbs and touch the square of the backboard and dunk
- Barkley had an outside shot all the way up to 18 ft in his peak and he was the most dangerous post player with McHale and Shaq in his era.
- Barkley averaged 12.9 RPG in his play-off career
- Barkley also had better vision for off post passes, around the back passes and had great hands too

LAmbruh
10-10-2019, 02:06 AM
You people are forgeting underrating young Barkley in terms of athleticism.

- Barkley was stronger.

:biggums:

https://i.postimg.cc/6QWD327P/804f2a1525551747deadef9992048482.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/cLMp0MJY/ffgjfgjfgfg.png (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/59SL5Xjg/ghkjghkjghjk.png (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/pXV8sPFH/Dh1-Zom2-Xc-AAC2vc.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

RoseCity07
10-10-2019, 02:15 AM
-13 tonight. All his baskets in the paint against a team with literally no interior defense.

His looks very good against that defense.

I think he's going to struggle against legit NBA bigs.

DaHeezy
10-10-2019, 02:40 AM
LMAO!!! Hoops forums don't hurt my ego. It's not THAT SERIOUS!

Stopped reading right there. The fact you tl;dnr wall of text shows your insecurity. "I'm not hurt, but I'll right an essay on why I'm totally right!" You're worse than Kblaze

Like I said, Barkley was a post monster you dumped the ball into and let him go to work and offensively controlled the paint. Like Shaq, McHale, Dantley, Hakeem. Zion in no way has that type of skillset. You immediately went to physical compatibles and said yup! They're the same. You read things on a messagboard and glorify it. No actual eye test.

Zion is a downhill slasher. You telling me you're gonna post up Zion and isolate him in the post? And he's gonna dominate the guy defending him? Lol.

*** outta here with that! Or better yet, start a new wall of text on why you're not hurt :lol

DaHeezy
10-10-2019, 02:59 AM
He's a combo of all the guys mentioned here.

Or most of them anyway.

I see a lot of 80s Barkley in Zion. Full court terror who bulldozes to the cup. GREAT athlete. Aesthetic power dunker like Kemp too.

Larry Johnson though? Not seeing it. I was never high on LJ's game so its probably bias.

I mentioned that. Open court transition he's unstoppable. But that's where the Barkley comparison starts and ends. The same thing can be said about Lebron. All 3 of them are freight trains from one end to the other.

I like the Kemp comparison a lot more. You got a freakish athlete completely bouncy. You set screens off the ball and let him jump over people. Or have him stand around the basket and dump off and finish. Same thing with early athletic LJ before his knees broke him down and resorted to being a jump shooter.

Barkley was ungaurdable in the post, with the ball IN HIS HANDS and let him operate. Which is why I don't like the Zion comparison because Zion is not a throwback. Having said all that Zion is a physical freak. If we say he's Barkley because of that might as well say he's Shaq or Lebron. In terms of skillet he's not the same isolate in the paint as a McHale, Barkley, or Dantley which is the comparisons I use. Zion is a unique specimen.

Physical comparisons don't necessarily translate to on court. Take the total package and you get a better description

Andrei89
10-10-2019, 04:07 AM

Loser? The guy is one of the NBA all time great players.

You keyboard warriors throw the word "loser" around so often on forums :lol

What have you achieved better than Sir Charles?

StrongLurk
10-10-2019, 10:55 AM
I mentioned that. Open court transition he's unstoppable. But that's where the Barkley comparison starts and ends. The same thing can be said about Lebron. All 3 of them are freight trains from one end to the other.

I like the Kemp comparison a lot more. You got a freakish athlete completely bouncy. You set screens off the ball and let him jump over people. Or have him stand around the basket and dump off and finish. Same thing with early athletic LJ before his knees broke him down and resorted to being a jump shooter.

Barkley was ungaurdable in the post, with the ball IN HIS HANDS and let him operate. Which is why I don't like the Zion comparison because Zion is not a throwback. Having said all that Zion is a physical freak. If we say he's Barkley because of that might as well say he's Shaq or Lebron. In terms of skillet he's not the same isolate in the paint as a McHale, Barkley, or Dantley which is the comparisons I use. Zion is a unique specimen.

Physical comparisons don't necessarily translate to on court. Take the total package and you get a better description

Zion IS good in the post though at this stage of his career...did you see him at Duke?

You are exaggerating by throwing in the Shaq/Lebron comparisons...

I think Zion can be very similar to Barkley by his 3rd season. Both Zion and Barkley aren't great long range shooters either but have underrated handles.

DaHeezy
10-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Zion IS good in the post though at this stage of his career...did you see him at Duke?

You are exaggerating by throwing in the Shaq/Lebron comparisons...

I think Zion can be very similar to Barkley by his 3rd season. Both Zion and Barkley aren't great long range shooters either but have underrated handles.

Yes I did watch Zion. A lot. And the majority of his game like I said is slashing downhill. He gets his points with off the ball movement. Backdoor cuts, off ball screens and dump offs. Not by posting up and creating his own shot. Zion does not have Barkley's back you down bang'em style post move. Makes me wonder if you ever watched Barkley.

This comparison reminds me of when everyone said Porzingis was a Kirilenko clone. This is just as off. Barkley and Zion is like saying Embiid plays like Hakeem. In fact that's a parallel comparison. Hakeem had footwork in the post where Embiid used nimble feet driving to the basket. But because they are africans using footwork they are clones. Trust me. My eye test is very accurate on this

superduper
10-10-2019, 12:10 PM

Are Bran stans so stupid they can't even fathom that Barkley would have at least one chip if it wasn't for the GOAT. Jordan ain't like Bran handing out chips and FMVPs left and right :oldlol:

Haymaker
10-10-2019, 12:44 PM
He's the next Shawn Kemp.

DaHeezy
10-10-2019, 01:13 PM
He's the next Shawn Kemp.

Thank you. Someone who has watched 90's basketball

RRR3
10-10-2019, 01:37 PM
He probably won't develop the post game and the touch around the basket Sir Charles had.

21.6 PPG on 58.13% FG on only 12.9 FGAs PG for 16 seasons (including those passed his prime in Houston as 3rd option)

22.5 PPG on 55.13% FG on only 14.5 FGAs PG for Play-Off Runs (including those passed his prime in Houston as 3rd option)
Where the hell are you getting those stats?

bizil
10-10-2019, 02:09 PM
I would say in terms of pure explosiveness of the floor, Zion resembles me of Kemp. People forget how EXPLOSIVE Kemp was. Dude was a freak. And Kemp was also explosive off both feet. He had the speed to run like a deer but also the deep knee bend to get in a crouch and go over the top of people near the basket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHb875YbbrA

I'm on board with Kemp in terms of the explosive part. Kemp had the great combo of one foot and two foot hops as well. Among PF's, he had the best blend of the two. BUT Zion could be the one who supercedes him in that regard!

90sgoat
10-10-2019, 03:48 PM

I agree with that as well.

Kemp had a midrange shot tho.

But yes, Kemp is the closest comparison. On offense and defense.

Round Mound
10-10-2019, 03:48 PM
:biggums:

https://i.postimg.cc/6QWD327P/804f2a1525551747deadef9992048482.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/cLMp0MJY/ffgjfgjfgfg.png (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/59SL5Xjg/ghkjghkjghjk.png (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/pXV8sPFH/Dh1-Zom2-Xc-AAC2vc.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Muscle Tone Does Not = Strenght

But Added Strenght to Your Natural Strenght

Round Mound
10-10-2019, 03:50 PM
Where the hell are you getting those stats?

Take Away 3-Pointers Made and Shot From Chuck Stats and They Equal That.

He Was A Monster Scorer Inside The Three Point Line Per Shot Taken.

Haymaker
10-10-2019, 04:07 PM

Even the Lonzo pairing brings back memories of Payton/Kemp. Those two knew how to bring a crowd to its feet.

sammichoffate
10-10-2019, 05:45 PM
He's the next Shawn Kemp.I see a little Julius Randle in him too, gonna be good watching them play each other this year.

eliteballer
10-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Completely different player.

tpols
10-10-2019, 08:28 PM
You people are forgeting underrating young Barkley in terms of athleticism. Zion is more acrobatic in his dunks and a better leaper but Barkley was still one of the most athletic players ever.

- Barkley was stronger.
- Barkley at 6'4 and 5/8 ft could stand right under the rim and dunk off one leg at 285 lbs
- Barkley would dunk while jumping off two legs under the rim most of his career. He actually had the strongest legs in the NBA prior to Shaq.
- He could move at near to 300 lbs and touch the square of the backboard and dunk
- Barkley had an outside shot all the way up to 18 ft in his peak and he was the most dangerous post player with McHale and Shaq in his era.
- Barkley averaged 12.9 RPG in his play-off career
- Barkley also had better vision for off post passes, around the back passes and had great hands too

but could he play defense?

bizil
10-10-2019, 09:05 PM
I gotta admit for some posters to say they see more Kemp in Zion than Charles, they are looking TOO MUCH at the freak athletic ability shit. Freak athletic ability wise, I totally get the Kemp thing. So I see a mix of the two in Zion.

But his body type is more line with guys like a Barkley. His potential of being a great scorer-passer-rebounder for a PF is more in line with Barkley. Kemp NEVER PROVED he could be a dominant scorer like Barkley and Malone in that era. Let alone an elite passing PF like Barkley.

I can tell that some posters are UNDERRATING Zion's potential all around ability. He potentially could give u the all around numbers of Barkley BUT elite defense to go with it. IF he becomes a superstar, I think that's the type of player he will be. His POTENTIAL OVERALL game in more like Barkley BUT with much better defense. Doesn't mean he will be the next Barkley. HE will be the FIRST ZION! Kemp was more of a true PF. Zion to me seems like he has more POSITIONLESS (in his own way) type of potential in his game.

DoctorP
10-10-2019, 09:05 PM
yes. could be very Barkley

Carbine
10-10-2019, 09:19 PM
He has a LONG ways to go in the skill department to be like Barkley.

superduper
10-10-2019, 10:22 PM

Lol obviously but he has that similar undersized unstoppable in the paint mold.

DaHeezy
10-10-2019, 11:37 PM
I gotta admit for some posters to say they see more Kemp in Zion than Charles, they are looking TOO MUCH at the freak athletic ability shit. Freak athletic ability wise, I totally get the Kemp thing. So I see a mix of the two in Zion.

As opposed to your comparison of body type? Because everything else you compare is far from accurate

Again. Your post reeks of ego. You fail to see the distinct difference of a isolation post scorer and a slasher. You lack that knowledge to have any sort of validity in your comparison.

StrongLurk
10-10-2019, 11:54 PM
As opposed to your comparison of body type? Because everything else you compare is far from accurate

Again. Your post reeks of ego. You fail to see the distinct difference of a isolation post scorer and a slasher. You lack that knowledge to have any sort of validity in your comparison.

Barkley iso-ing in the midrange/post and backing down defenders for 10-12 seconds before shooting wouldn't be effective in this era anyways. Hell, it's actually not even allowed.

I think Barkley is an all time great, but I also think you are overrating his skill some. He was highly effective in the paint, but a lot of that had to do with his size, power, and athleticism.

AussieSteve
10-11-2019, 12:58 AM
but could he play defense?

Yeah. He could.

Round Mound
10-11-2019, 01:05 AM
Barkley iso-ing in the midrange/post and backing down defenders for 10-12 seconds before shooting wouldn't be effective in this era anyways. Hell, it's actually not even allowed.

I think Barkley is an all time great, but I also think you are overrating his skill some. He was highly effective in the paint, but a lot of that had to do with his size, power, and athleticism.

Wouldn't be effective? The rules wen't against Barkley and before he was in his 30s he would go passed al PFs Off The Dribble. In today's cant touch any one rules Barkley would feast. His game extended From Inside the Paint To 18 Feet Jumpers. Barkley's agressive style of play would demolish today's defenders. Today's game is the softest game i've seen in the NBA. Barkley was a mix of Shaq and Wade. That's how good he was.

FultzNationRISE
10-11-2019, 01:13 AM

True, but Barkley also played 3 years of college ball.

Zion looks like he has a good ceiling for skill development. Some guys like a Deandre Jordan or Dwight Howard you can tell from the start will never be consistent shooters and will need to rely on athleticism.

Zion has room to develop skill and shooting with practice. I could definitely see him with a Charles-esque game (by today’s standards) in a couple years.

AussieSteve
10-11-2019, 02:00 AM

The thing with Barkley is that his presence in a team elevated otherwise awful teams to top tier offences.

In 1989 and 1990, Philly's offence was 2nd only to the Lakers. Look at their roster and you see that this is completely ridiculous. At the suns he led the #1 offence in the league 3 straight years, even though he was definitely past his best and had lost most of his Philly athleticism.

His effect on his team's offense was so great for 2 reasons
1. because whenever he got the ball anywhere within 15ft of the basket, he drew a near immediate double team. If he didn't, he'd get to the rack. If he did, he'd find the open man.
2. Because he was so great on the offensive boards, and gave his team so many 2nd chance opportunities.

Zion is an athletic freak. He's a more impressive athlete than Barkley was. And he's undersized. And he's very solidly built. That's a very good base for a comparison, but I don't think he will end up being a similar style of player.

bizil
10-11-2019, 09:06 AM
The thing with Barkley is that his presence in a team elevated otherwise awful teams to top tier offences.

In 1989 and 1990, Philly's offence was 2nd only to the Lakers. Look at their roster and you see that this is completely ridiculous. At the suns he led the #1 offence in the league 3 straight years, even though he was definitely past his best and had lost most of his Philly athleticism.

His effect on his team's offense was so great for 2 reasons
1. because whenever he got the ball anywhere within 15ft of the basket, he drew a near immediate double team. If he didn't, he'd get to the rack. If he did, he'd find the open man.
2. Because he was so great on the offensive boards, and gave his team so many 2nd chance opportunities.

Zion is an athletic freak. He's a more impressive athlete than Barkley was. And he's undersized. And he's very solidly built. That's a very good base for a comparison, but I don't think he will end up being a similar style of player.

Exactly! For me the comparison is more about both being undersized height wise, their weight coming out of college in that 270-280 range, being freak athletes (Zion evenmore athletic), and the potential for Zion to be a great scoring-passing-rebounding PF like Barkley. However, the way he ACTUALLY puts all that together will be different from Charles in certain respects

BUT the huge difference in defense as well. I think Zion could possibly be like an Anthony Mason type defender. Mase was a brickhouse 6'7 250+ pound defender who could defend all three frontcourt positions effectively. And even some swingmen. I think Zion (if needed) could do the same thing at a heavier size. Athletic ability wise, I see the Kemp and Nique comparisons. U put all that together, u get Zion's potential. Which is a player we've NEVER seen before in the league!

KingMambaFan
10-11-2019, 09:27 AM
yeah a fat loser like you with no money