PDA

View Full Version : With TV deals and merch sales, the NBA could give away every ticket to every game...

FultzNationRISE
10-16-2019, 01:44 PM
And still be hugely profitable. Like, everyone from the players to the owners would still be rolling in dough. Ticket sales are chump change to the league's overall revenue.

Yet you've still got people in every city who make like 100k a year, shelling out $10k on season tickets. 10% of their income to watch dudes throw the ball around.

I mean to each their own, but I find this pretty wacky. Obviously it ensures that they get to go to all the games, whereas if tickets were 5 bucks a pop they'd sell out crazy fast and you might barely see a game or two a year.

But if everyone refused to buy tickets, the NBA would eagerly give them out for free just to make sure the product on television looks good.

Muh****erz are THROWING their own money at these billionairez, while complaining that budgeting 300 bucks a month for their own health care is an insult to their rights as an American :lol

The whole thing is cray.

Your thoughts?

warriorfan
10-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Do you want Bernie Sanders as the next NBA commissioner?

bison
10-16-2019, 02:01 PM
They should triple WNBA player salaries first.

FultzNationRISE
10-16-2019, 02:07 PM
Do you want Bernie Sanders as the next NBA commissioner?

No, Playboy, I just want people to think about why theyre paying so much for something the league WOULD give away for free if they had to.

If it's still worth it for some people, that's perfectly cool. But it seems like the average fan allows themselves to be ripped off tbh.

warriorfan
10-16-2019, 02:10 PM
No, Playboy, I just want people to think about why theyre paying so much for something the league WOULD give away for free if they had to.

If it's still worth it for some people, that's perfectly cool. But it seems like the average fan allows themselves to be ripped off tbh.

Dont buy tickets and make your own league then

Kblaze8855
10-16-2019, 02:11 PM
I

bison
10-16-2019, 02:22 PM

Team owners should be abolished. They literally do nothing. Owning land and capital isn

Kblaze8855
10-16-2019, 02:26 PM
The fans own the packers but they still have normal ticket prices and charge 11 dollars for a hotdog and soda....

bullettooth
10-16-2019, 02:29 PM
They should triple WNBA player salaries first.

Why?

FultzNationRISE
10-16-2019, 02:37 PM
There seems to be some confusion here. Let me clear that up, because I dont think you're understanding the knowledge that is with my brain at the moment.

I'm not blaming the owners for anything.

I'm just saying fans are willfully overpaying for something that WOULD be free, if they simply held out for a minute and chose not to pay for it.

Consumers in America tend to not really think too carefully about... anything. They just get their paycheck, buy what the rest of society is buying, at whatever price others are paying, then complain that they never have enough. There's never any real thinking or discipline involved.

:confusedshrug:

sammichoffate
10-16-2019, 03:00 PM
If fans actually cared, they would boycott the league. Obviously that's not reality so people end up throwing issues under the rug.

FultzNationRISE
10-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Even without relating it to any particular issue... the NBA is absolutely SWIMMING in cash. Owners are paying billions for teams. Players are signing $100,000,000+ playing contracts, and deals equally big for endorsements.

Yet average Joe is lining up to throw a few thousand of his own hard earned cash at these guys each year, when they'd be giving away tickets for free if they had to.

This is where wealth imbalance comes from in capitalism. People's own decisions. It's not some evil nefarious scheme. It's freedom. People just choose to needlessly throw their money away to people who are already caked up and may not even have their interests in mind.

People just don't care. They line up and pay the fare.

Prometheus
10-16-2019, 03:46 PM
The problem is, and always has been, the impossibility of getting everyone on the same page at the same time. If you were able to simultaneously pitch this idea to every last consumer of NBA tickets in such a way that they all knew everyone was in it together, the change you're imagining would happen within a few days. But that's not reality... and it never will be. Everyone is out there making their own choices. No one has the ability to grab the attention of the entire herd at once.

I am betting that this whole spiel grew out of your inability to afford Lakers' season tickets :lol

Spurs m8
10-16-2019, 03:59 PM
I mean, look at the commissioner and his background...

That is never happening....

CelticBaller
10-16-2019, 04:23 PM
Free market baby

DoctorP
10-16-2019, 04:28 PM
thanks for chiming in, Bernie.

honestly, it would be cool if they lowered the tix to somethin crazy cheap once in a while. i guess you have to find the deals

HoopologyPhD
10-16-2019, 06:17 PM
Jeff could also update ISH to beyond early 2000's capabilities but that would take $ out of his pockets.