PDA

View Full Version : Rank the leagues franchise players by tier.

Kblaze8855
10-21-2019, 07:42 AM
To make it a bit easier with your no doubt copy/pasted answers....

Atlanta Hawks
Boston Celtics
Brooklyn Nets
Charlotte Hornets
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
Dallas Mavericks
Denver Nuggets
Detroit Pistons
Golden State Warriors
Houston Rockets
Indiana Pacers
LA Clippers
Los Angeles Lakers
Memphis Grizzlies
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Timberwolves
New Orleans Pelicans
New York Knicks
Oklahoma City Thunder
Orlando Magic
Philadelphia 76ers
Phoenix Suns
Portland Trail Blazers
Sacramento Kings
San Antonio Spurs
Toronto Raptors
Utah Jazz
Washington Wizards

Bit to work with in order of team in AB order....

Trae Young
Kemba Walker or Tatum
Kevin Durant or Kyrie
Terry Rozier
Lavine or Lauri
Kevin Love
Luka or KP
Jokic
Blake or Drummond
Curry
Harden
Oladipo
Leonard
Lebron or Davis
Morant
Jimmy Butler
Giannis
KAT
Zion
Barrett or Randle I guess
Chris Paul
Vucevic
Embiid
Booker
Lillard
De'Aaron Fox
Derozan or Aldridge
Siakam or Lowry
Gobert or Mitchell
Wall or Beal

Pick ONE player per team. Which means all those guys wont make the list at all. There are some tough ones but....thats the point. Theres always really one franchise player. Even when its close...theres a guy who simply will not be traded for the sake of the other. Thats the guy. It can change as guys age but im talking for right now. Today.

These are the tiers along with brief explanations...

Tier 1 - Sitting fat down south:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/519V5NWZAEL.jpg

By which I mean....a baller. Shot caller...with 20 inch blades on the Impala. For those of you who dont remember the late 90s.....I mean the franchise player search is over. There is no work to be done except finding the right pieces to fit around him. This is the man from here till the casket drop.

Tier 2 - The yellow brick road. He might not be sitting fat down south yet...but the path is clear. Hes on the way and needs no help getting there. Glory awaits at the end of this journey.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SizzlingSlipperyCrayfish-small.gif

^
Not quite there....but we can see it. Being a tier one is just a matter of time.

Tier 3 - A 40 degree day....as explained by Stringer Bell on the Wire to his lackluster minions who once again failed to kill the target he assigned them but brought back excuses claiming they got close:

That's good. That's like a 40-degree day. Ain't nobody got nothing to say about a 40-degree day. Fifty. Bring a smile to your face. Sixty, shit, ****** is damn near barbecuing on that motherf***er. Go down to 20, ****** get their bitch on. Get their blood complaining. But forty? Nobody give a f*** about 40. Nobody remember 40, and y'all ****** is giving me way too many 40-degree days! What the f***?

In other words....barely acceptable and not worth talking about really. Acceptable to shit franchises but fanbases that have expectations are in a panic. Possibly can be salvaged as a star but will take the right GM/coach to believe in them and get the best they can offer. To put it simply...not bad. Not good. But not bad as a potential franchise guy. Just...probably not.

Tier 4 - This is fine.

Teams who think...or give the appearance of thinking....they have their guy. But we all know they dont. AKA...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AngryGoldenIsabellinewheatear-small.gif

The guy may not actually be a bad player...but the franchise is in trouble if they think hes the man. The team has talked itself into thinking hes the man....but you know hes not. And they might secretly know as well but will never say so.

Tier 5 - Blow it up. Start from scratch. This is garbage and not worth fixing. Stop sinking resources into him and move on. Today. Basically....

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RingedTenderBobolink-small.gif

Who fits in which tier?

I'll do mine in a bit.

Kblaze8855
10-21-2019, 07:55 AM
This was harder than I expected. Some of them are in a certain tier due to age and not current talent. Just...arent guys to build around anymore. Some of them I feel like I need an extra tier for.....like Lillard...who may not be sitting fat down south....but is all hes ever gonna be so its not like hes up and coming. And KAT im not sure is ever gonna be a tier 1....hes got the talent...but im not sure hes gonna get there. I dont know. Star player...but a 40 degree day as a franchise guy probably. Did my best....

Sitting fat down south:

Anthony Davis
James Harden
Giannis
Leonard
Durant(assuming hes still Durant.If not he's a 40 degree day as is Kyrie).
Curry

Yellow Brick Road -

Trae Young
Luka
Jokic
Morant
Zion
Embiid
Lillard

40 degree day

Kemba Walker
Lauri
Blake
Oladipo
Jimmy Butler
KAT
Barrett
Booker
De'Aaron Fox
Mitchell
Beal

This is fine

Vucevic
Derozan
Siakam

Blow it up

Rozier
Kevin Love
Chris Paul

Xiao Yao You
10-21-2019, 08:08 AM
When Mitchell is the best player on the team he can be the franchise player until then it's Gobert and has been for almost 5 years now. Mitchell might not even be the 2nd best player on the team

Kblaze8855
10-21-2019, 08:16 AM
I assume you might have a problem with that one but I don

Xiao Yao You
10-21-2019, 08:20 AM
I assume you might have a problem with that one but I don’t feel strongly enough about it to argue. Both of them would be a 40 degree day.

There is no argument. They have been one of the worst teams in the league without Gobert. People want to give Snyder, Mitchell, Hayward and their front office credit but without him they have sucked period. That may change this year but until it does he deserves a lot more respect than he gets

Akeem34TheDream
10-21-2019, 08:30 AM
Lillard belongs to tier 3 imo.

Kblaze8855
10-21-2019, 08:39 AM
There is no argument. They have been one of the worst teams in the league without Gobert. People want to give Snyder, Mitchell, Hayward and their front office credit but without him they have sucked period. That may change this year but until it does he deserves a lot more respect than he gets

So version 60 of you thinking your strong opinion on Rudy makes it a fact?

Look....whatever he is...wherever he ranks...a lot of people would take a dynamic scoring guard over the great defender with very little offensive skill aside from his size for screens....especially when that defender actually gets pulled for defensive reasons in some matchups. Id take Rudy for my Bulls. Id take Mitchell for some other teams....like the Hornets who might actually have Rozier taking 18-20 shots a night. Or the Bucks whos 4 out stlyle benefits more from Lopez playing Splash mountain with Mitchell as Giannis running mate and shot creator than having Gobert slow them down and clog up the middle of the floor. Its a question of need not so obvious it doesnt matter what the team makeup is.

Just how it is. Call the franchise player who you want. Its not clear enough to fight about from my end. Not when its with someone as clearly emotionally invested in other peoples opinion of the guy.

Xiao Yao You
10-21-2019, 08:55 AM
So version 60 of you thinking your strong opinion on Rudy makes it a fact?

Look....whatever he is...wherever he ranks...a lot of people would take a dynamic scoring guard over the great defender with very little offensive skill aside from his size for screens....especially when that defender actually gets pulled for defensive reasons in some matchups. Id take Rudy for my Bulls. Id take Mitchell for some other teams....like the Hornets who might actually have Rozier taking 18-20 shots a night. Its a question of need not so obvious it doesnt matter what the team makeup is.

Just how it is. Call the franchise player who you want. Its not clear enough to fight about from my end. Not when its with someone as clearly emotionally invested in other peoples opinion of the guy.

It's clear to anyone that pays attention. It hasn't even been close. Crappy without him. Very good with him. His impact is huge. Their offense revolves around Gobert too. Without his screens and his threat at the rim they wouldn't have even been the mediocre offense they've been. Obviously people want the dynamic scorer. The fact that anyone thinks Mitchell or Hayward or Snyder or Lindsey are the reason for the success Utah has had the past 5 years tells you they don't want a guy that dominates in an unconventional way. The Jazz have needed Mitchell to take lots of shots too and he still hasn't had close to Gobert's impact. Except for someone that already has a guy carrying them I'm not sure where Mitchell would make more sense?

There was a strong argument for Ingles being more important than Mitchell at least the first part of last year for that matter. Hill was arguably their most important player the first month he was with them before he hurt his toe and Conley is even better than him not to mention Bojan so Mitchell has his work cut out for him even being the top perimeter player for them this year.

sdot_thadon
10-21-2019, 09:25 AM
Tier 1 - Sitting fat down south:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/519V5NWZAEL.jpg

By which I mean....a baller. Shot caller...with 20 inch blades on the Impala. For those of you who dont remember the late 90s.....I mean the franchise player search is over. There is no work to be done except finding the right pieces to fit around him. This is the man from here till the casket drop.

:oldlol: Lil Troy sighting! Brings back Kappa Beach party memories....

Lebron or Davis- tricky one, should by all accounts be Davis due to age and career value going forward, it's probably Lebron based on politics and the fact he's locked up for a few years and Davis only this season.
Leonard
Duant
Harden
Curry
Giannis

Tier 2 - The yellow brick road. He might not be sitting fat down south yet...but the path is clear. Hes on the way and needs no help getting there. Glory awaits at the end of this journey.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SizzlingSlipperyCrayfish-small.gif

^
Not quite there....but we can see it. Being a tier one is just a matter of time.

KAT
Embiid
Lillard
Zion?
Luka
Jokic?
Young?

Tier 3 - A 40 degree day....as explained by Stringer Bell on the Wire to his lackluster minions who once again failed to kill the target he assigned them but brought back excuses claiming they got close:

In other words....barely acceptable and not worth talking about really. Acceptable to shit franchises but fanbases that have expectations are in a panic. Possibly can be salvaged as a star but will take the right GM/coach to believe in them and get the best they can offer. To put it simply...not bad. Not good. But not bad as a potential franchise guy. Just...probably not.

Buter
Kemba
Blake
Oladipo
Beal
Mitchell
Booker

Tier 4 - This is fine.

Teams who think...or give the appearance of thinking....they have their guy. But we all know they dont. AKA...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AngryGoldenIsabellinewheatear-small.gif

The guy may not actually be a bad player...but the franchise is in trouble if they think hes the man. The team has talked itself into thinking hes the man....but you know hes not. And they might secretly know as well but will never say so.

Siakam
Mitchell
Derozan
Paul -due to age
Lavine
Fox
Barrett?
Morant?

Tier 5 - Blow it up. Start from scratch. This is garbage and not worth fixing. Stop sinking resources into him and move on. Today. Basically....

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RingedTenderBobolink-small.gif

Love
Rozier
Vucevic

I've got question marks next to guys I either struggled between 2 tiers with or are young and I haven't seen enough of just yet.

Real14
10-21-2019, 09:31 AM
Kawhi and AD top 2.

DoctorP
10-21-2019, 09:33 AM
I'm ignoring this thread cuz everyone ignored my old school vs new jax thread :lol

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oKIPimGyqPkbHAaxG/giphy.gif

Kblaze8855
10-21-2019, 11:28 AM
It's clear to anyone that pays attention.

Just like its clear Rudy is top 5 I guess. You are a good but painfully biased fan so there is little use engaging with you on these subjects. Youre to Gobert what 3ball is to Jordan or the guy who was saying Giannis>Hakeem is to him.

Youre too close to it. Cant be reasoned with. You arent stupid or anything.....you just arent gonna see what the rest of the earth sees so its best to leave you alone.

Im biased towards Lauri Markkanen....but I can admit it. I know that his size and skillset means he can be special....but I drop him from a 2 to a 3 because I cant let my bias get in the way. For all I know Bargnani would look like Lauri given a league with more possessions and less defense like we have now. Sure....I know more about him than most of you would because I watch him play and care to see how he develops. But my increased info comes with increased attachment that makes me biased. So I try to be reasonable. You dont seem to have that in you.

You think hes the franchise player? Fine. Like I said...its close enough not to fight about it. But you simply arent gonna look at it like an unbiased observer.

Xiao Yao You
10-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Just like its clear Rudy is top 5 I guess. You are a good but painfully biased fan so there is little use engaging with you on these subjects. Youre to Gobert what 3ball is to Jordan or the guy who was saying Giannis>Hakeem is to him.

Youre too close to it. Cant be reasoned with. You arent stupid or anything.....you just arent gonna see what the rest of the earth sees so its best to leave you alone.

Im biased towards Lauri Markkanen....but I can admit it. I know that his size and skillset means he can be special....but I drop him from a 2 to a 3 because I cant let my bias get in the way. For all I know Bargnani would look like Lauri given a league with more possessions and less defense like we have now. Sure....I know more about him than most of you would because I watch him play and care to see how he develops. But my increased info comes with increased attachment that makes me biased. So I try to be reasonable. You dont seem to have that in you.

You think hes the franchise player? Fine. Like I said...its close enough not to fight about it. But you simply arent gonna look at it like an unbiased observer.

Why am I not biased towards Mitchell? I can be reasoned with but there is no argument for Mitchell over Gobert until he proves otherwise. He can score more points with more shots that is it and without Rudy setting screens he would do it even less efficiently. The Jazz would suck if Gobert wasn't on the team the past 5 years that has been proven time and time again when he hasn't been on the court. I'm about results not hype. Rudy helps you win games as he's more than proven unlike all stars like Towns and Cousins who get the hype but not the results. Mitchell helps you sell shoes. I'll take the former any time. It's not close. He be like Booker on the Suns without Rudy. That may change but until it does there is no argument

Manny98
10-21-2019, 11:57 AM
Siakam = blow it up tier

Kblaze8855
10-21-2019, 12:01 PM
Why am I not biased towards Mitchell?

The same reason other crazy biased fans tend to downplay the other stars on teams. You

FKAri
10-21-2019, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]The same reason other crazy biased fans tend to downplay the other stars on teams. You

tontoz
10-21-2019, 12:16 PM
I can't see Trae in Tier 2. He hasn't accomplished anything and is a defensive sieve.

I would move Siakam up at least 1 tier, maybe 2. He was the 2nd best player on a championship team and a 2 way player.

Kblaze8855
10-21-2019, 01:38 PM
I suspect that every team in tier two would hang up on you if you called and offered Siakam for any of those guys. Under those circumstances it

tontoz
10-21-2019, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]I suspect that every team in tier two would hang up on you if you called and offered Siakam for any of those guys. Under those circumstances it

DoctorP
10-21-2019, 01:59 PM
I bet many, if not most, teams would take Siakam over Trae.

i wouldnt

tontoz
10-21-2019, 02:04 PM
i wouldnt

Who is your teams starting pg?

There are a lot of quality pgs in the league. There aren't that many 4s who can score effectively from 3 and inside who also play strong D.

DoctorP
10-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Who is your teams starting pg?

There are a lot of quality pgs in the league. There aren't that many 4s who can score effectively from 3 and inside who also play strong D.

trae is a franchise player. young, fun, full of kum.

hes exciting and he sells tix.

Siakam was last years Clint Capela.

these guys shake loose. i, myself, wouldnt max them.

Kblaze8855
10-21-2019, 02:22 PM
I bet many, if not most, teams would take Siakam over Trae.

4 years younger closest thing To a new Steph Curry in today

Kblaze8855
10-21-2019, 02:24 PM
In fact I

tontoz
10-21-2019, 02:37 PM
Curry? :rolleyes:

Nobody shooting 32% from 3 should be compared to Curry. Curry's worst season from 3 is 41%.

He is like Rauf though.

Kblaze8855
10-21-2019, 03:04 PM
I accept that you arent generally in favor of context but he went to one year of college not 3 like Steph. And 32 games removed from high school he had a pretty good year. In over 20 games after the All-Star break he put up 25/9/5 on much better shooting despite some

egokiller
10-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Swisha rolled tight got sprayed by Ike.

tontoz
10-21-2019, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]I accept that you arent generally in favor of context but he went to one year of college not 3 like Steph. And 32 games removed from high school he had a pretty good year. In over 20 games after the All-Star break he put up 25/9/5 on much better shooting despite some

Kblaze8855
10-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Of course he isn

tontoz
10-21-2019, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]Of course he isn

Kblaze8855
10-21-2019, 04:56 PM
Zion isn

SouBeachTalents
10-21-2019, 05:56 PM
Tier 1
Jokic
Curry
Harden
Kawhi
LeBron
Giannis
Embiid

Tier 2
Durant (Can't put him tier 1 until we see him post injury)
Luka
Oladipo
Butler
KAT
Zion
Lillard
Gobert
Wall (If healthy)

Tier 3
Trae
Kemba
Blake
Morant
Barrett
Booker
Fox
Aldridge
Siakam

Tier 4
Love
CP3
Vucevic

Tier 5
Rozier
Lavine

tontoz
10-21-2019, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]Zion isn

Kblaze8855
10-21-2019, 08:31 PM
Are you really trying to pretend you only know the difference between best player and more valuable franchise piece when it

DMAVS41
10-21-2019, 08:45 PM
No I am well aware these are the best players on the team, ranked in tiers. I don't see how Trae is better than any of the guys a tier below him.

Sure he could improve but it looks like your ranking is based on a large dose of hopium.

But that isn't what the list is...

It is about which franchise players essentially hold the most trade value...and while a guy like Siakam is currently better than Trae imo, he doesn't have more trade value.

tontoz
10-21-2019, 09:08 PM
But that isn't what the list is...

It is about which franchise players essentially hold the most trade value...and while a guy like Siakam is currently better than Trae imo, he doesn't have more trade value.

Depends on whether a team is trying to sell tickets or win games. I have seen flashy offense no defense players before. They dont help winning that much.

I would argue that Trae doesnt even belong on this list in the first place. Collins was easily better on both ends and is only 22. What makes Trae the franchise player? Style points?

DMAVS41
10-21-2019, 09:20 PM
Depends on whether a team is trying to sell tickets or win games. I have seen flashy offense no defense players before. They dont help winning that much.

I would argue that Trae doesnt even belong on this list in the first place. Collins was easily better on both ends and is only 22. What makes Trae the franchise player? Style points?

I think a franchise is trying to do both and it isn't one or the other.

I'm actually not super high on Trae, but I probably think he was better than you do last year. However, it is about expected value and potential of these players...

And not listing Trae Young on this list seems silly considering where the league is and where it is clearly headed, but that is just my opinion.

warriorfan
10-21-2019, 09:28 PM
This was harder than I expected. Some of them are in a certain tier due to age and not current talent. Just...arent guys to build around anymore. Some of them I feel like I need an extra tier for.....like Lillard...who may not be sitting fat down south....but is all hes ever gonna be so its not like hes up and coming. And KAT im not sure is ever gonna be a tier 1....hes got the talent...but im not sure hes gonna get there. I dont know. Star player...but a 40 degree day as a franchise guy probably. Did my best....

Sitting fat down south:

Anthony Davis
James Harden
Giannis
Leonard
Curry

Yellow Brick Road -

Trae Young
Luka
Jokic
Morant
Zion
Embiid
Lillard

40 degree day

Kemba Walker
Lauri
Blake
Oladipo
Jimmy Butler
KAT
Barrett
Booker
De'Aaron Fox
Mitchell
Beal

This is fine

Vucevic
Derozan
Siakam

Blow it up

Rozier
Kevin Love
Chris Paul

This list looks pretty legit but to be real...the 40 degrees is nothin to write home about, these days are death in the current nba. For realistic purposes you are in a no better situation chilling at 40 degrees than you are blowing it up. That being said I would merge the two bottom lists and maybe group embiid into it. Tbh I don

warriorfan
10-21-2019, 09:28 PM

Sitting fat down south:

Anthony Davis
James Harden
Giannis
Leonard
Curry

Yellow Brick Road -

Trae Young
Luka
Jokic
Morant
Zion
Embiid
Lillard

40 degree day

Kemba Walker
Lauri
Blake
Oladipo
Jimmy Butler
KAT
Barrett
Booker
De'Aaron Fox
Mitchell
Beal

This is fine

Vucevic
Derozan
Siakam

Blow it up

Rozier
Kevin Love
Chris Paul

This list looks pretty legit but to be real...the 40 degrees is nothin to write home about, these days are death in the current nba. For realistic purposes you are in a no better situation chilling at 40 degrees than you are blowing it up. That being said I would merge the two bottom lists and maybe group embiid into it. Tbh I don

warriorfan
10-21-2019, 10:39 PM
Will also add Siakam to the yellow brick road. Hes not a number one but he

Kblaze8855
10-22-2019, 06:17 AM
I dont know...

I like him. I like defense....post moves....that is well known. Hes a good all around player. But this isnt the old days where people gradually arrive.

How many hall of famers in this era didnt already look like it at 25?

Steph Curry is about the latest blooming true superstar in the NBA.

He can make it....especially production wise if a team wants to play through him. But its easy to be the productive guy people mock when you dont win.

People decided KAT is empty stats a long time ago and hes been doing HOF numbers for 3 years.

eliteballer
10-23-2019, 07:10 PM
Doncic is rated ridiculously high by some of you.

Dude's ceiling isn't that high.

Kblaze8855
10-14-2020, 11:52 PM
Lauri obviously fell apart and Paul had a great year but you still wouldn’t build around him at his age so I guess he’s still a blow it up option. Especially since the Thunder are probably gonna....blow it up.

But this was never a straight basketball ability thing. Age has to be a factor.

Carbine
10-14-2020, 11:59 PM
Doncic is rated ridiculously high by some of you.

Dude's ceiling isn't that high.

You still stickin with that?