PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird takes a dump on Portland, 49 pts/14 reb/12 ast/4 stl, on national TV

72-10
10-26-2019, 01:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woAK1i-o2wI

end of career with back injuries

bigkingsfan
10-26-2019, 01:23 PM
That Bird shot at 6:50, never seen anything like it.

72-10
10-26-2019, 02:06 PM
Clyde Drexler was peaking then, second best player in the world

of course this isn't Bird's 47-14-11 wherein he played completely with his left hand

bison
10-26-2019, 02:11 PM
Anyone else a big fan of the 80s Boston garden acoustics? It sounds so rubbery and stiff. Like playing on your grandmas kitchen floor. I used to hate it but now that I’m old I’m nostalgic for it.

72-10
10-26-2019, 03:19 PM
by the way, this is the only known time this stat line has happened in the NBA

Matppak
10-26-2019, 03:39 PM
Sad to watch the beginning of this game when he was laboring due to back issues he looked like 40 year old Tim Duncan

Hes my #2 behide Jordan

If he was given lebron's physical ability he would have never lost a game

ShawkFactory
10-26-2019, 05:52 PM
Sad to watch the beginning of this game when he was laboring due to back issues he looked like 40 year old Tim Duncan

Hes my #2 behide Jordan

If he was given lebron's physical ability he would have never lost a game
If he was given lebrons physical ability he wouldn

FromDowntown
10-26-2019, 05:59 PM
Larry Legend; a top 10 all-time great. What a helluva a player and thanks for posting the link.

ArbitraryWater
10-26-2019, 06:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm-ISatLDG0

90sgoat
10-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Seeing how Luka dominates the game today, I shudder to think what Larry Bird would look like. Luka gives you a solid "wow how he do that" 3 times a game, but Larry would be a non-stop headshaker.

72-10
11-26-2019, 06:49 PM
here's the box: https://web.archive.org/web/20150404092307/http://www.nba.com/celtics/media/boxscore_031592_PORBOS.pdf

HoopologyPhD
11-26-2019, 06:50 PM
Legend has it that the city of Portland still smells like poo to this day.

Marchesk
11-26-2019, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=ShawkFactory]If he was given lebrons physical ability he wouldn

colts19
11-26-2019, 07:48 PM
When Larry Bird was a red shirt transfer to ISU, I went to a practice they were having and came away telling everyone that Bird was the best player I had ever seen and that was the year before he started playing. I saw him do things in that one practice that I had never seen before. It was just mind blowing.

MaxPlayer
11-26-2019, 07:50 PM
Seeing how Luka dominates the game today, I shudder to think what Larry Bird would look like. Luka gives you a solid "wow how he do that" 3 times a game, but Larry would be a non-stop headshaker.

He would die of whiplash from players driving past him so fast.

3ball
11-26-2019, 07:52 PM
That's a fake video

Surely that isn't Bird destroying elite athletes like Drexler, Kersey and perennial all-defender Buck Williams

Those guys compare well to today's athletes, and there's no way Bird could play today... So it's fake

And I know there's zero spacing and the paint looks like a crowded nightclub, but surely Bird would be lost in today's spaced-out, hands-off, beginner format of the game.. oh wait..

mr4speed
11-26-2019, 08:37 PM
When Larry Bird was a red shirt transfer to ISU, I went to a practice they were having and came away telling everyone that Bird was the best player I had ever seen and that was the year before he started playing. I saw him do things in that one practice that I had never seen before. It was just mind blowing.
You probably already know this, but the ISU coach asked Bird - who played with the 2nd unit every day in practice- to let the 5 starters he was playing against win a scrimmage once in awhile. Bird's talent with the 2nd string was beating the starters every day every time. Bird refused to do so, saying they would just have to get better or take their whipping every day like grown men. The coach was trying to build confidence in the starters, but Bird was not having any part of it. His refusal to compromise his game or the game itself, shows how much he loved the game and loved to compete. Bird was rewarded years later when some of those 2nd stringers became his teammates and took part in the 33 and 1 unbelievable run in Bird's senior season.

Haymaker
11-26-2019, 09:20 PM
Bird could barely run by then, let alone jump. The man was ridiculously skilled and intelligent.

Marchesk
11-26-2019, 10:02 PM
That's a fake video

Surely that isn't Bird destroying elite athletes like Drexler, Kersey and perennial all-defender Buck Williams

Those guys compare well to today's athletes, and there's no way Bird could play today... So it's fake

And I know there's zero spacing and the paint looks like a crowded nightclub, but surely Bird would be lost in today's spaced-out, hands-off, beginner format of the game.. oh wait..

Any arguments people had against Bird not being able to compete with athletes today has gone completely out the window with Luka Doncic's dominance. And Bird was actually a slightly better athlete than Doncic.

warriorfan
11-26-2019, 10:04 PM

Damn that

FKAri
11-26-2019, 10:27 PM
Real talk: I actually remember this game. Thanks for posting :cheers:

SpaceJam2
11-26-2019, 10:47 PM
Real talk: I actually remember this game. Thanks for posting :cheers:

:cheers:

You got it

SpaceJam2
11-26-2019, 10:48 PM
That's a fake video

Made MJ go 0-6

Bird held him winless in the playoffs.

Duncan21formvp
11-27-2019, 12:26 AM
Greatest SF in NBA History. Lebron still not close.