PDA

View Full Version : 5 years from now who will be considered the best athlete ever?

Bronbron23
10-28-2019, 07:36 AM
Right now it's probably mj with Brady, tiger and LeBron not to far behind. You could throw Serena Williams in there if we're talking athlete's who dominate there sport. She couldn't beat the 200 ranked men's player though so that's a tricky one.

So who out of those athlete's is most likely to have enough success in the next few years to catch or pass mj? Is it one of those athlete's mentioned or someone else that I'm missing?

I say it's tiger. I can't see Serena or LeBron ever winning again and I can only see Brady maybe winning one more. I think tiger will win a few more majors and regular tour events to catch jack in majors and pass Sneed in overall events.

Turbo Slayer
10-28-2019, 07:51 AM
LeMao! :rockon: LeGOAT.

STATUTORY
10-28-2019, 07:52 AM
the same person it was 5 years ago: MJ

Bronbron23
10-28-2019, 07:55 AM
the same person it was 5 years ago: MJ
What if LeBron wins 2 more rings or Brady wins 1 more Superbowl or tiger wins 4 more majors? Would any of those scenarios change your mind?

STATUTORY
10-28-2019, 08:00 AM
What if LeBron wins 2 more rings or Brady wins 1 more Superbowl or tiger wins 4 more majors? Would any of those scenarios change your mind?

Brady might have the edge in the US, but internationally I dont think American Football is as popular so MJ wins out.

Lebron invalidated himself in 2011, nothiing he will ever do will change that. and he's not winning 2 more rings

can't comment on tiger, only watch real sports

Bronbron23
10-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Brady might have the edge in the US, but internationally I dont think American Football is as popular so MJ wins out.

Lebron invalidated himself in 2011, nothiing he will ever do will change that. and he's not winning 2 more rings

can't comment on tiger, only watch real sports
I used to think that way about golf until I started playing. I hear u though. when talking greatest athlete ever putting a golfer in there is debatable

Uncle Drew
10-28-2019, 08:22 AM
Messi.

Manny98
10-28-2019, 08:26 AM
LeBron

Bronbron23
10-28-2019, 08:29 AM
LeBron
So you think LeBron's gonna win a couple more chips then? It's highly unlikely with the clippers next door.

Manny98
10-28-2019, 08:32 AM
So you think LeBron's gonna win a couple more chips then? It's highly unlikely with the clippers next door.
Clippers ain't winning shit with Montrezl Harrell protecting the rim :roll:

Mr Feeny
10-28-2019, 08:32 AM

I'm not sure why you're picking 2 rings specifically.

Let's say he wins 2 more rings, as undisputed lead option (which is nearly impossible because he probably isnt even a clear cut lead dog ahead of Davis right now, nevermind next year). But lets say that happens. He would have 5 titles as the man, in 18 seasons.

How on earth would that catapult him above a guy with 6 rings as the undisputed 1st opition of his team, in many less seasons played?

Mr Feeny
10-28-2019, 08:33 AM
LeBron

You already said that Lebron is 11th all time. Sorry bud.

Bronbron23
10-28-2019, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure why you're picking 2 rings specifically.

Let's say he wins 2 more rings, as undisputed lead option (which is nearly impossible because he probably isnt even a clear cut lead dog ahead of Davis right now, nevermind next year). But lets say that happens. He would have 5 titles as the man, in 18 seasons.

How on earth would that catapult him above a guy with 6 rings as the undisputed 1st opition of his team, in many less seasons played?
2 was just the number I threw out there. It seems like half the people say LeBron is the goat now and the other half say he'd need 6 or 7 so I put out a number somewhere in the middle.

Bronbron23
10-28-2019, 09:33 AM
Clippers ain't winning shit with Montrezl Harrell protecting the rim :roll:
Why warriors won many with green protecting the rim. There's been many championship teams that's won without a great rim protector.

Manny98
10-28-2019, 10:41 AM
Why warriors won many with green protecting the rim. There's been many championship teams that's won without a great rim protector.
Except that Draymond is a top 10 defensive player of all time whilst Harrell is arguably the worst defensive bigman in the league :lol

Bronbron23
10-28-2019, 11:25 AM
Except that Draymond is a top 10 defensive player of all time whilst Harrell is arguably the worst defensive bigman in the league :lol
Draymond is not a top 10 all time. Wtf are u smoking? He's not even a top 20 all time

Overdrive
10-28-2019, 11:30 AM
2 was just the number I threw out there. It seems like half the people say LeBron is the goat now and the other half say he'd need 6 or 7 so I put out a number somewhere in the middle.

By half you mean 10% of basketball fans?

colts19
10-28-2019, 01:27 PM
If we are talking about pure athlete only Bo knows. Basketball i would go with Wilt or R. Westbrook.

AirFederer
10-28-2019, 01:36 PM
LeBron
Well you have him 12th but what do you know

Spurs m8
10-28-2019, 02:29 PM
Lebron will be forgotten in 5 years or remembered for PED use

Real Men Wear Green
10-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Right now it's probably mj with Brady, tiger and LeBron not to far behind. You could throw Serena Williams in there if we're talking athlete's who dominate there sport. She couldn't beat the 200 ranked men's player though so that's a tricky one.

So who out of those athlete's is most likely to have enough success in the next few years to catch or pass mj? Is it one of those athlete's mentioned or someone else that I'm missing?

I say it's tiger. I can't see Serena or LeBron ever winning again and I can only see Brady maybe winning one more. I think tiger will win a few more majors and regular tour events to catch jack in majors and pass Sneed in overall events.
Brady is the greatest QB ever, which makes him the greatest football player ever due to the nature of football. But it's hard to say a guy that runs the way he does is the greatest athlete ever. His athleticism begins and ends with his throwing arm, which isn't the best arm in NFL history either. I am possibly being excessively semantic but he isn't particularly athletic so I disagree with him being given this particular title.

Bronbron23
10-28-2019, 03:50 PM
Brady is the greatest QB ever, which makes him the greatest football player ever due to the nature of football. But it's hard to say a guy that runs the way he does is the greatest athlete ever. His athleticism begins and ends with his throwing arm, which isn't the best arm in NFL history either. I am possibly being excessively semantic but he isn't particularly athletic so I disagree with him being given this particular title.
Yeah thats the debate I guess. Do you actually have to be athletic to be considered the greatest athlete ever? The mental aspect in professional sports is as important as the physical. I personally don't think you have to be athletic to be a great athlete as long as you make it up with work ethic and/or intelligence. This would put guys like tiger and Brady in the conversation.

72-10
10-28-2019, 06:20 PM
probably someone who makes the traveling violation gesticulation every time it happens in a game

tpols
10-28-2019, 06:24 PM
you need to separate the word athlete from guys who were just tremendously skilled in their specific sports.

Tom Brady or tiger woods arent even close to GOAT athletes... theyd be a joke in any other professional sports league.

Bronbron23
10-28-2019, 06:41 PM
you need to separate the word athlete from guys who were just tremendously skilled in their specific sports.

Tom Brady or tiger woods arent even close to GOAT athletes... theyd be a joke in any other professional sports league.
Why do you say that? There examples of high iq, high skill guys. Was Larry bird, Steve Nash, Tim Duncan a joke? None of those guys are all that athletic but they were all among the best players in baskeball.

AlternativeAcc.
10-28-2019, 07:00 PM
Brady isn't even close

Mahomes is the answer.

AlternativeAcc.
10-28-2019, 07:01 PM

Athlete is just another term for sportsman. Same shit. Nobody cares about raw athletic attributes unless we're discussing olympic athletes.

tpols
10-28-2019, 07:21 PM
Athlete is just another term for sportsman. Same shit. Nobody cares about raw athletic attributes unless we're discussing olympic athletes.

Athlete imo incorporates skill, IQ, and athleticism... so only those who have ample of of all 3 should be mentioned.

A guy like Michael Jordan is the perfect example of a GOAT athlete.

AlternativeAcc.
10-28-2019, 07:31 PM
Athlete imo incorporates skill, IQ, and athleticism... so only those who have ample of of all 3 should be mentioned.

A guy like Michael Jordan is the perfect example of a GOAT athlete.
But that's not what OP is implying when he says the term athlete. He's asking whose the best at their respective sport. raw athleticism has nothing to do with it

Using your criteria Jordan doesn't hold a candle to Bo Jackson who dominated two sports and had superior athletic traits to Jordan. It's flawed

3ball
10-28-2019, 07:43 PM
If Brady is arguably goat of a many-position sport like football due to 6 rings often NOT as the man, then MJ is the will still be the goat by far due to 6 rings as the man.. no one will ever top that in the modern era because no one can be that good - a 6'6" player with westbrook-level quickness; better than Kawhi-midr-range ability; bird-level smarts, instinct, competitiveness, clutch, and off-ball skill/teamwork; Dr. J sized hands; and Lebron-level athleticism

AlternativeAcc.
10-28-2019, 07:48 PM
If Brady is arguably goat of a many-position sport like football due to 6 rings often NOT as the man, then MJ is the will still be the goat by far due to 6 rings as the man.. no one will ever top that in the modern era because no one can be that good - a 6'6" player with westbrook-level quickness; better than Kawhi-midr-range ability; bird-level smarts, instinct, competitiveness, clutch, and off-ball skill/teamwork; Dr. J sized hands; and Lebron-level athleticism
Jordan didn't play in the modern era though

He dominated pre social media when the rules were totally different and the talent pool was vastly inferior.

AlternativeAcc.
10-28-2019, 07:56 PM
2003 was the real beginning of the modern era, some could argue 2006 is the cutoff

Either way 80's and 90's aren't the modern era. 80's and 90's are closer to 60's and 70's than Current ball is to 80's and 90's

DoctorP
10-28-2019, 07:59 PM
2003 was the real beginning of the modern era, some could argue 2006 is the cutoff

Either way 80's and 90's aren't the modern era. 80's and 90's are closer to 60's and 70's than Current ball is to 80's and 90's
https://i.imgur.com/GM6z5f2.gif

3ball
10-28-2019, 08:18 PM
when the rules were totally different

Right - MJ played in a much tougher era for offense - there was no spacing because teams didn't have the spacing strategy of today's game, and defense was hands-ON with physicality allowed.

So don't say that the rules were totally different as if that hurts MJ - that's a benefit to MJ's skillset and legacy that he could get 37 ppg with no spacing and hands-on defense and physicality, with a suboptimal/tougher shot allocation (all contested two's as opposed to today's open layups and threes allocation that the spacing allows)

Jordan didn't play in the modern era though

He played in the 3-pointer basketball era, which is the modern era... :hammerhead:... he has the most rings in 3-pointer basketball (6), while 2nd place has 3.

He also has the most rings in the modern era as "the man" (6), while 2nd place has 3 - this matters because all 40 MVP's since the 3-point line was invented were dominant offensive players - so we know that Russell wouldn't have MVP of the modern era, and therefore his 11 rings mean nothing.. MJ's 6 rings as "the man" are king of the modern era, by far..

So MJ won as "the man" twice as much as anyone in the modern era, while being the PPG and efficiency rating kingpin, while winning 2 three-peats with just one all-star teammate, while his peers failed with 3 HOF teammates (Curry in 19' and Lebron in 14').. That's the strongest argument for goat that there is.. :confusedshrug:

Thanks for playing though.

CONTINUED BELOW.....

3ball
10-28-2019, 08:19 PM
....CONTINUTED...

and the talent pool was vastly inferior.

^^^ Except MJ played much better/dominated the best guys Lebron ever faced:

1) SHAQ

Top Lebron moments:

2004-2006 were the only years of Lebron's career where Shaq had some prime left - during those years, Lebron finished behind Shaq in MVP voting (2004 and 2005), and lost the conference to him (2005 and 2006).. Lebron never dunked on him.

Top Jordan moments:

Jordan won MVP over prime Shaq in 1996 and 1998 and swept Shaq in 1996 ECF.. He also dunked on him, shown here (http://i.makeagif.com/media/7-10-2015/LfHlds.gif).

2. KOBE:

Top Lebron moments:

- Lebron watched Kobe win more championships during the time that both were in their prime, and also watched Kobe save the team in the 2008 Olympics.

- He missed the much-anticipated, Kobe/Lebron matchup in 2009 and 2010 Finals, because his top-seeded team underachieved by losing to lower seeds in earlier rounds.

Top Jordan moments:

- MJ dunked on Kobe in their first ever possession vs. each other, shown here (http://i.makeagif.com/media/12-13-2015/Q3fm0o.gif)

- MJ showed his protege how it's done by hitting the game-winner in the first game of the 1997 Finals, after Kobe had airballed 4 straight game-winner attempts against the same team earlier in the playoffs.

- MJ passed the torch to his protoge in the 1998 all-star game by scoring on him at will (5 times in head-to-head possessions, shown here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3sto7KGQs&t=0m16s)).

3. DUNCAN

Top Lebron moments:

- Lebron missed the infamous game-tying 3-pointer and needed Ray Allen to save him

Top Jordan moments:

- Jordan MADE his game-tying 3-pointer from the exact same spot during his first meeting with Duncan/Popovich in 1998 (the shot is shown here (http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/10-05-2015/rP-QUs.gif))... Then he dominated the OT, including 2 dunks over Duncan, shown here (https://media.giphy.com/media/26FPq7nUqs2V8LyNO/giphy.gif)..

Later in that 1998 season, Jordan won the Finals against the team (Jazz) that destroyed Duncan's Spurs in WCF 2nd Round (Duncan/Robinson/Popovich's Spurs won 56 games in RS).

4. GARNETT:

Top Lebron moments:

- Lebron got his shit pushed in during 2008 and 2010 ECSF

Top Jordan moments:

- Jordan schooled Garnett in the 1998 all-star game (shown here (http://i.makeagif.com/media/10-30-2015/q8-1iR.gif)) and during the regular season (shown here (http://i.makeagif.com/media/12-12-2015/6agjm-.gif), here (http://i.makeagif.com/media/12-12-2015/EfFINb.gif) and here (http://i.makeagif.com/media/12-12-2015/Jp9ACT.gif)).

- The only time where MJ and Garnett were matched up defensively for an entire game was during a 2002 contest - both were matched up at SF, and 38-year old Jordan scored 35 on Garnett in every way imagineable, including various blow-by dunks and layups, shown here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmngcHYnfN0).

5. SHAWN MARION:

Top Lebron moments:

- Lebron got locked down by OLD Shawn Marion during the 2011 Finals, which was one of the greatest chokes ever by a star in the Finals.

Top Jordan moments:

- 38-year old Jordan hit the game-winner in PRIME Shawn Marion's face during a contest in 2002 (shown here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjo06p5zchg&t=0m09s)), and then destroyed him for 41 points in another contest (shown here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9ayPlqCMg)).

6. 2003-2004 seasons

JORDAN 2003: 19.3 PER.. 20.0 ppg.. 44.5 fg
LEBRON 2004: 18.3 PER.. 20.9 ppg.. 41.7 fg

and the talent pool was vastly inferior.[/I]

Lebron's best comp this year is Kawhi/PG, but MJ defeated better Big 2's, such as Magic/Worthy and Shaq/Penny for starters.

Then Barkley/KJ, Stockton/Malone and many others compare as well.

Lebron's big 3's mean that he only faced actual talent deficits in 07', 15', 17' and 18' Finals (losing mostly via sweep or record amount, so the worst anyone could do)..

the only time he overcame an actual talent deficit was the 07' ECF, and MJ overcame bigger ones then that (see response below)

Overcoming talent deficits

2007 Cavs:. #7 SRS.. 50 wins.. 2 seed
2007 tDET:. #6 SRS.. 53 wins.. 1 seed

1989 Bulls:. #10 SRS.. 47 wins.. 6 seed
1989 Cavs:. n#1 SRS.. 57 wins.. 3 seed

MJ played in a 2-star vs 2-star format, so those teams can't be compared to the 3-star vs. 3 star format that Lebron played in.. But if we gave MJ and his opponents a 3rd star, they would blow today's big 3's away

hiphopanonymous
10-28-2019, 08:32 PM
Collective fan memories are very short term and most of that eras fans are elderly or gone at this point so he probably won't be mentioned but I still don't think anyone - as an athlete - has touched Wilt, at least not answering this question through the lens of NBA basketball players

sammichoffate
10-28-2019, 08:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caNVWoHLejE

ImKobe
10-28-2019, 08:39 PM
Same answer as 5 years ago - Kobe.

Mr Feeny
10-29-2019, 02:23 AM
Why do you say that? There examples of high iq, high skill guys. Was Larry bird, Steve Nash, Tim Duncan a joke? None of those guys are all that athletic but they were all among the best players in baskeball.

You're answering your own question, I think. If you can separate skill from athleticism -as you currently are - it should be easy to understand why Brady isn't the most athletic NFL player ever. His dominance is predicated on skill, not athleticism.

He isn't in the discussion for most athletic player ever.

Bronbron23
10-29-2019, 02:42 PM
You're answering your own question, I think. If you can separate skill from athleticism -as you currently are - it should be easy to understand why Brady isn't the most athletic NFL player ever. His dominance is predicated on skill, not athleticism.

He isn't in the discussion for most athletic player ever.
I'm not necessarily separating them. I'm just saying that the skill and intelligence of an athlete are just as important as the athleticism of the athlete. I think we're just looking at the word differently. Some times the word is used to encompass individuals from all sports and sometimes It's used strictly when referring to individuals who are extremely athletic.

If you look at any athlete of the year award you'll see several people who arnt anywhere close to being one of the most athletic athlete's out there. Take ESPN's for example. Ovechkin, tiger, curry, dirk, Steve young, Cal ripkin and Drew breeze all won the award.

superduper
10-29-2019, 03:24 PM
The one who didn't need to run away to multiple superteams and multiple HOFs/allstars in order to be remotely relevant...

DoctorP
10-29-2019, 03:27 PM
in 5 years GAnus will be the best athlete of all times

colts19
10-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Collective fan memories are very short term and most of that eras fans are elderly or gone at this point so he probably won't be mentioned but I still don't think anyone - as an athlete - has touched Wilt, at least not answering this question through the lens of NBA basketball players
If we are talking about pure athlete only Bo knows. Basketball i would go with Wilt or R. Westbrook.I was the first to mention Wilt. I am elderly.