PDA

View Full Version : Luka Doncic: Is He The Next James Harden?

WillyJakk
11-07-2019, 09:50 AM
The title says it all.

I've watched the Mavs sporadically last season after the "Luka Craze" started to see just how good he is and he is amazing. So I made it a point to watch the Mavs this season with a healthy Porzingis who is incredible as well.

I have seen 3 games so far, Mavs vs the Wizards the Lakers and the Magic and my take away is that I don't feel he uses Porzingis to the best of his ability (unless Kristaps is still finding his way back health-wise or mentally after tearing his ACL).

Watching Luka at times is like watching James Harden for better or worse. He controls so much of the ball during DAL possessions where the majority of the time it's him dribble driving or step back 3 with passes to 3pt snipers, cuts to the basket, or alley oops. In fairness I do feel Luka is more apt to lead the Mavs to a championship than Harden can the Rockets.

Is this a fair assessment of Luka as I see him as an MVP type of player but I also think he needs to incorporate Porzingis much more.

Gileraracer
11-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Harden is absolutely awful without the refs (39%/27% from the field but 16 fta per game), Doncic already much more effective if you do not rely on the refs.

WillyJakk
11-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Harden is absolutely awful without the refs (39%/27% from the field but 16 fta per game), Doncic already much more effective if you do not rely on the refs.

I was referring to how ball dominant he is. He isn't a ball movement player. Do you feel he uses Porzingis to the best of his ability?

90sgoat
11-07-2019, 10:16 AM
Luka is Luka, not James Harden or Lebron or Curry.

Jordan was Jordan, not Julius Erving, George Gervin or Jerry West.

Luka is the modern player. There is not really anything from Jordan and Kobe. No fades.

He has grown up watching Lebron, Harden and Curry, and has all those guys style in his game.

He has the drive and kick from Lebron, the stepbacks from Harden, the crazy demoralizing 3s from Curry and also the floater from Curry.

Like I said, he is like all those guys. Just like Jordan took from Erving and Gervin and others to make it his own.

Manny98
11-07-2019, 10:38 AM
Doncic is nothing alike that choking,flopping stat-padding disgrace to basketball

ImKobe
11-07-2019, 10:41 AM
I was referring to how ball dominant he is. He isn't a ball movement player. Do you feel he uses Porzingis to the best of his ability?

He could be but the Mavs don't really have another playmaker for that to work, they're most effective when he has the ball in his hands.

He definitely is in that Harden tier with his ball dominance and the high volume of 3s he takes, though I don't think he's out to bait the refs as much as Harden has the past 5 years.

WillyJakk
11-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Doncic is nothing alike that choking,flopping stat-padding disgrace to basketball

Wait a second... He flopped last night against my Magic looking for a call late in the game. The play where we got the rebound and ran into Isaac, flopped and fell to the floor and he actually hurt his elbow due to the flop.

He flopped against the Lakers a few times also although that gash in his head from Dwight was 100% real. No flop on that one.

Ghost1
11-07-2019, 11:18 AM
Wait a second... He flopped last night against my Magic looking for a call late in the game. The play where we got the rebound and ran into Isaac, flopped and fell to the floor and he actually hurt his elbow due to the flop.

He flopped against the Lakers a few times also although that gash in his head from Dwight was 100% real. No flop on that one.

doncic is a fraud (white harden). I watched 90% of basketball he played in his life

he flops, cries, whines everytime somebody touches him, desperately trying to get to the freethrow line

he travels on his double stepbacks

he palms the ball all the time

when they are losing with the game already out of reach he will go for the quick two in transition. Statpadder!

he cares about triple doubles. he'll pad his assists or steal uncontested defensive rebounds if he needs to

he becomes major douche if he has a good night, or a spoiled brat if he's struggling

is very short answered, same boring short answers every time. he kinda covers that up by saying the same thing twice

Luka Fraudcic :mad::mad:

LoneyROY7
11-07-2019, 11:29 AM
":cry: :cry: Harden is a fraud don't compare anyone to him!"

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

AirTupac
11-07-2019, 11:34 AM

Doncic does flop and cry a lot like Harden which sucks cause I like the kid. But there was a sequence vs Lakers where he complained every...single... trip that didnt go his way. At the END of the game, he legit complained to the ref while Lakers scored an easy bucket. That shit is so aids / harden-like

juju151111
11-07-2019, 11:40 AM
Doncic does flop and cry a lot like Harden which sucks cause I like the kid. But there was a sequence vs Lakers where he complained every...single... trip that didnt go his way. At the END of the game, he legit complained to the ref while Lakers scored an easy bucket. That shit is so aids / harden-like
Complaining doesn't make you like Harden. Harden flops on every play and tries trick refs on 90% of his drivess and chokes in high pressure situation and wasnt nearly has good hass Luka at 20 years old. He barley better than him now. Luka was leading his team to Euro championship at like 18. Stop comparing them

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-07-2019, 11:40 AM
One of the best players in the league already.

It'll be more validating if Luka does it in the playoffs, but he's young.

We'll see.

Yup.

Said that in the GT too. Doncic had that face like someone just yoinked his happy meal. Not even saying he does it every game. I don't watch all his games. But if that one vs LA was any indication, it can get old fast. Its like watching Chris Paul on a loop.

r0drig0lac
11-07-2019, 11:42 AM
yep

AirTupac
11-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Complaining doesn't make you like Harden. Harden flops on every play and tries trick refs on 90% of his drivess and chokes in high pressure situation and wasnt nearly has good hass Luka at 20 years old. He barley better than him now. Luka was leading his team to Euro championship at like 18. Stop comparing them

Lmao who the **** are you to tell me who I can compare them too. What does Luka at 18 have to do with anything about my comment. Harden cries to the refs a lot. So does Doncic. Harden flops a lot. Doncic has been doing that. These are comparisons one is able to make. Get off his dick. The kid is 20 you fking loser :oldlol:

One of the best players in the league already.

It'll be more validating if Luka does it in the playoffs, but he's young.

We'll see.

Yup.

Said that in the GT too. Doncic had that face like someone just yoinked his happy meal. Not even saying he does it every game. I don't watch all his games. But if that one vs LA was any indication, it can get old fast. Its like watching Chris Paul on a loop.

AHH thats it. I was always annoyed at CP3 for the same reason. God I hope Luka doesnt continue this.

juju151111
11-07-2019, 12:06 PM
Lmao who the **** are you to tell me who I can compare them too. What does Luka at 18 have to do with anything about my comment. Harden cries to the refs a lot. So does Doncic. Harden flops a lot. Doncic has been doing that. These are comparisons one is able to make. Get off his dick. The kid is 20 you fking loser :oldlol:

AHH thats it. I was always annoyed at CP3 for the same reason. God I hope Luka doesnt continue this.
No Harden Flops wayy more than Luka. Alot pf people flop in the nba that doesn't make them JH. He flops to a ridiculous degree and tries to manipulate refs. Thsts his goal all game. JH is thrash don't compare Luka to him.

LoneyROY7
11-07-2019, 12:11 PM
No Harden Flops wayy more than Luka. Alot pf people flop in the nba that doesn't make them JH. He flops to a ridiculous degree and tries to manipulate refs. Thsts his goal all game. JH is thrash don't compare Luka to him.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Don't compare my Luka to trash Harden!!!

:oldlol: :oldlol:

I agree though, can't compare the two. Harden is quicker, more athletic, and can breakdown a defense from the top of the key at different level than Luka. Luka's still a good kid though. :applause:

juju151111
11-07-2019, 12:23 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Don't compare my Luka to trash Harden!!!

:oldlol: :oldlol:

I agree though, can't compare the two. Harden is quicker, more athletic, and can breakdown a defense from the top of the key at different level than Luka. Luka's still a good kid though. :applause:
Yea Harden is better at flopping, choking, diving into players. I mean Luka probably will never get to Harden level of choking and flopping. Refs only thing make Harden better then 2nd year Luka. Harden currently in his prime.

LoneyROY7
11-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Yea Harden is better at flopping, choking, diving into players. I mean Luka probably will never get to Harden level of choking and flopping. Refs only thing make Harden better then 2nd year Luka. Harden currently in his prime.

No, what makes Harden better than Luka is his ability to blow-by opponents at will.

https://media.giphy.com/media/XgBa8FepVkYhUCpOQA/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/QBjq17NrHpqCqdQpqU/giphy.gif

No fancy size-ups there, no hesitations...just straight I'm too quick for you to guard me. And these are just a couple of clips of him this season before he's even in mid-season form yet. :applause:

fourkicks44
11-07-2019, 12:41 PM
Ahh remember a simpler time when people said Markelle Fultz was the next Harden?

juju151111
11-07-2019, 12:48 PM
No, what makes Harden better than Luka is his ability to blow-by opponents at will.

https://media.giphy.com/media/XgBa8FepVkYhUCpOQA/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/QBjq17NrHpqCqdQpqU/giphy.gif

No fancy size-ups there, no hesitations...just straight I'm too quick for you to guard me. And these are just a couple of clips of him this season before he's even in mid-season form yet. :applause:
Wow are those games where he goes 5-20 with like 17 FTA? Get that thrash choking bum out of here. Call when he stop being a choker. Luka already winner since 17-18. While Harden choking his life away in 2012 finals.:roll:

LoneyROY7
11-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Wow are those games where he goes 5-20 with like 17 FTA? Get that thrash choking bum out of here. Call when he stop being a choker. Luka already winner since 17-18. While Harden choking his life away in 2012 finals.:roll:

He had 44 points in the game of the first clip. He had 59 points in the game of the 2nd clip.

:lol :lol :lol

Do you enjoy getting owned?

DoctorP
11-07-2019, 12:55 PM
Interesting assessment. From the sample size I have watched, Lucky Luka (unlucky vs the Lord) seemed to control the ball less than Harden and played "in the flow" as someone else mentioned (stalker).

In the game they lost (technically won) to Lord Brando he did have a much higher usage but that was a marquee showcase, apparently.

Thanks for your post, good stuff.

stalkerforlife
11-07-2019, 01:05 PM
That's an insult to Luka.

Marchesk
11-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Harden is the Iverson of the 3 point era.

DoctorP
11-07-2019, 01:52 PM
Harden is the Iverson of the 3 point era.

Caca is the pee pee of the anus.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3og0IMJcSI8p6hYQXS/giphy.gif

RRR3
11-07-2019, 01:56 PM
That's an insult to Luka.
Yep. Luka is the white LeBron.

FultzNationRISE
11-07-2019, 02:04 PM
Luka reminds me of a prime Tony Parker with a better three ball. Plus the court awareness of LeHung.

red1
11-07-2019, 02:40 PM
he's obviously gonna have a better career than harden. his size will be huge for the playoffs. that's how he gets his passes off and his shots off, he'll be harder to guard.

Bronbron23
11-07-2019, 02:52 PM
The title says it all.

I've watched the Mavs sporadically last season after the "Luka Craze" started to see just how good he is and he is amazing. So I made it a point to watch the Mavs this season with a healthy Porzingis who is incredible as well.

I have seen 3 games so far, Mavs vs the Wizards the Lakers and the Magic and my take away is that I don't feel he uses Porzingis to the best of his ability (unless Kristaps is still finding his way back health-wise or mentally after tearing his ACL).

Watching Luka at times is like watching James Harden for better or worse. He controls so much of the ball during DAL possessions where the majority of the time it's him dribble driving or step back 3 with passes to 3pt snipers, cuts to the basket, or alley oops. In fairness I do feel Luka is more apt to lead the Mavs to a championship than Harden can the Rockets.

Is this a fair assessment of Luka as I see him as an MVP type of player but I also think he needs to incorporate Porzingis much more.
Yes it's a fair comparison. They both will never win a chip as the man and they both have fat potential.

stalkerforlife
11-07-2019, 03:01 PM
Yes it's a fair comparison. They both will never win a chip as the man and they both have fat potential.

Stupid.

20 years old and he'll never win a ring as the man.

Just a stupid statement.

Salty ass hater.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-07-2019, 03:04 PM

How would you know that?

Luka is 20 years old, and in his second year :oldlol:

Bronbron23
11-07-2019, 03:18 PM
How would you know that?

Luka is 20 years old, and in his second year :oldlol:
It's called a prediction bruh. I think he's gonna be one of those early peak guys who won't have the best longevity due to his fat potential and for certain weight gain.

Hes also very skilled and smart for his age so I don't see that part getting much better because it's already maxed out. I just don't see him getting much better than he already is

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-07-2019, 03:24 PM
It's called a prediction bruh. I think he's gonna be one of those early peak guys who won't have the best longevity due to his fat potential and for certain weight gain.

Hes also very skilled and smart for his age so I don't see that part getting much better because it's already maxed out. I just don't see him getting much better than he already is

Your "prediction" sounds like wishful thinking.

Kid is already one of the best players in the league. And no, you don't max out at 20 :oldlol: Unless your game is only athleticism and you have poor work ethic. That's not Luka though. He will continue to grow and get better. A LOT better assuming he stays healthy.

WillyJakk
11-07-2019, 03:27 PM

Suppose your prediction about him peaking is correct, do you think if he uses Porzingis more does DAL win a championship?

Because I feel DAL is a very dangerous team, that was evident vs LAL as they went toe to toe with them and it took Luka getting his head cracked by Dwight AND a Danny Green 3pt shot at the buzzer along with LeBron's triple double to get the W vs DAL.

I'm just observing the hero ball elements I saw from him in the 3 games I watched him completely not some hate shit.

Ghost1
11-07-2019, 03:37 PM

35.9 8.9-19.0 46.6 2.9-8.7 32.8 6.1-7.6 81.1 1.7 8.1 9.9 9.1 0.1 1.3 2.6 4.9 26.7

da room for improvment

Bronbron23
11-07-2019, 03:40 PM

Kid is already one of the best players in the league. And no, you don't max out at 20 :oldlol: Unless your game is only athleticism and you have poor work ethic. That's not Luka though. He will continue to grow and get better. A LOT better assuming he stays healthy.
Ummm lots of players maxed out at 20. What do you mean?

Bronbron23
11-07-2019, 03:42 PM

And I like Luka alot. It's just what I can see happening with him. I won't be mad if I'm wrong

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Ummm lots of players maxed out at 20. What do you mean?

And how many on this kids level?

Injuries aside, most of them were probably lazy and had poor work ethic. Nothing from Luka gives you that impression.

And I like Luka alot. It's just what I can see happening with him. I won't be mad if I'm wrong

I wont either. Hell most fans wont.

Bronbron23
11-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Suppose your prediction about him peaking is correct, do you think if he uses Porzingis more does DAL win a championship?

Because I feel DAL is a very dangerous team, that was evident vs LAL as they went toe to toe with them and it took Luka getting his head cracked by Dwight AND a Danny Green 3pt shot at the buzzer along with LeBron's triple double to get the W vs DAL.

I'm just observing the hero ball elements I saw from him in the 3 games I watched him completely not some hate shit.
I don't know about a chip. They'd definitely be a little better though although I'm not totally sold on porz tbh. He's very good I just don't know if those 2 are gonna be better say a kawhi and pg or LeBron and Davis or even steph and Klay when Klay gets back. And when those duo's get older and Luka is only 25 or 26 Greek will be in the way. I could be wrong. I actually like Luka alot so I'd be fine if I was.

3ba11
03-11-2022, 11:21 PM
It's funny that people think guys like Harden, Luka or Lebron are well-rounded players due to high ppg, apg and rpg

But they're actually 1-dimensional ball-dominators that tie the coach's hands... There's an entire branch of basketball that they can't play - ball movement, off-ball, system, movement)

When these guys don't have the ball in their hands, their teams literally play 4 on 5 offensively, so the team is forced to put the ball in their hands and play suboptimal ball-dominant brand... Ball-dominators like CP3, Nash, Luka, and Harden are career losers, while Magic/Lebron lucked out with super-teams but still get exposed on the Finals level (9-10 in Finals).. Otoh, guys with elite jumpshooting skill that can play off-ball win far more and have amazing Finals records (Bird, MJ, Kobe, Kawhi, Curry, KD, Dirk)