PDA

View Full Version : Who was better at his peak: Curry or Kobe?

CodeBreaker
11-07-2019, 11:19 PM
Who was better at his peak?

https://thunderousintentions.com/files/2016/02/Steph-Game-Winner-vs-OKC.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VengefulPeskyJaguar-size_restricted.gif

Smook A.
11-07-2019, 11:30 PM
2015-16 Curry was one of the best offensive players I've ever seen. The fact that he averaged 30 ppg while sitting out 20 4th quarters is insane itself. Add in his insane efficiency where he shot 50/45/91 and it makes his 2016 season even more unbelievably amazing. He could've easily averaged 35-40 ppg that season if he played in all 4th quarters. That being said, I think Curry was better at his peak.

Kobe, as we all know, is one of the best offensive players of all time. Obviously he's got the skill over Curry, and you can argue that he's the most skilled offensive player ever next to Jordan, but that's another topic. Peak vs peak I'm giving Steph Curry the slight edge mainly because of how efficient he was and the impact he had on the 73-9 Warriors that season.

IllegalD
11-08-2019, 12:16 AM
2015-16 Curry was one of the best offensive players I've ever seen. The fact that he averaged 30 ppg while sitting out 20 4th quarters is insane itself. Add in his insane efficiency where he shot 50/45/91 and it makes his 2016 season even more unbelievably amazing. He could've easily averaged 35-40 ppg that season if he played in all 4th quarters. That being said, I think Curry was better at his peak.

Kobe, as we all know, is one of the best offensive players of all time. Obviously he's got the skill over Curry, and you can argue that he's the most skilled offensive player ever next to Jordan, but that's another topic. Peak vs peak I'm giving Steph Curry the slight edge mainly because of how efficient he was and the impact he had on the 73-9 Warriors that season.

:oldlol: @ giving the edge to a guy who is a defensive liability.

The gap between Kobe and Curry defensively is MUCH wider than the non-existent gap between Curry and Kobe offensively.

What impact exactly did he have on the 73-9 Warriors. Falling down 1-3 vs the Thunder and needing Klay to bail him out? And then blowing a 3-1 lead to LeBron while playing putridly in the Finals?

Dude's only championship as "the man" came with an injured Kyrie/Love and with Iggy stealing the Finals MVP for him. Funny how that vaunted efficiency who displays in the regular season fails to materialize in the Finals and during crunch time of the playoffs...

FromDowntown
11-08-2019, 12:19 AM
Stephen Curry lead a team of guys that cannot dribble to 73 wins, while capturing the only unanimous MVP, made 5 finals in a row and won 3 rings while setting every 3-point record known to basketball

SamuraiSWISH
11-08-2019, 12:38 AM
Kobe, and this shit isn

IllegalD
11-08-2019, 12:48 AM
Stephen Curry lead a team of guys that cannot dribble to 73 wins, while capturing the only unanimous MVP, made 5 finals in a row and won 3 rings while setting every 3-point record known to basketball

- :oldlol: @ citing a media-decided regular season award

- good job completely ignoring the fact that he had Durant for 3 of those 5 finals and 2 of those 3 rings...

tanibanana
11-08-2019, 01:28 AM

Easy

iamgine
11-08-2019, 01:31 AM
Overall I think Kobe but peak wise it's Curry.

CodeBreaker
11-08-2019, 04:28 AM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]Kobe, and this shit isn

CodeBreaker
11-10-2019, 09:56 PM
Overall I think Kobe but peak wise it's Curry.
Peak only

Celtics 1825
11-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Also the fact that he made 402 threes in a single season, breaking the old record by 116 which was set by none other than Steph himself. Oh and let's not forget most of these shots were from 30+ feet away and contested and he STILL made 45% of them.

Round Mound
11-10-2019, 10:29 PM
Kobe

FultzNationRISE
11-10-2019, 10:40 PM
Interesting comparison because both these guys are at their best in the regular season, or against undermanned/underpowered teams in the early rounds of the playoffs.

In terms of who is more valuable? It’s Curry and it isnt particularly close. Plenty of guys like Curry, Dirk, Barkley etc are more valuable in terms of actual winning than Kobe.

There are different kinds of fans tho, obviously. There are fans who would rather watch their team shoot 50% and win 96-94 with no stand out player, and there are fans who would rather watch Kobe score 92 points on 40% in a 94-92 loss.

It’s just like in politics. You can beat people over the head with logic, but for some weird reason you have people who refuse to abandon ideas that to others seem preposterous.

A lot of people think individual point totals, and “degree of difficulty” etc means something. They think it’s valuable because it looks cool on highlights. You can try to argue with them about it but it’s useless. Theyre motivated by something more innate than logic. They want to believe Kobe is some kind of mythical figure. And the “simple” measurements that include no context, hold the most sway with these folks.

Weird shit yo.

BigShotBob
11-10-2019, 10:52 PM
Definitely Kobe. Curry's inbetween game is what holds him back, especially in the Finals and why his shooting percentages take a nosedive sometimes.

CodeBreaker
11-10-2019, 11:01 PM
Definitely Kobe. Curry's inbetween game is what holds him back, especially in the Finals and why his shooting percentages take a nosedive sometimes.
How about Kobe's shooting percentages?

BigShotBob
11-11-2019, 12:27 AM

His shooting percentages stay relatively consistent whereas Curry's always takes a noticeable dip.

Don't forget, Curry once scored 10 points in a Finals game and had to be carried by KD, effectively coughing up his chances of a FMVP.

red1
11-11-2019, 12:32 AM
kobe hands down.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-11-2019, 12:35 AM
the one that was an all-world defensive guard and didnt need protection cuddling from top tier perimeter defenders like Klay/Iggy taking the tough matchups and the best help defender of this generation in Draymond to make up for his constant mistakes

SamuraiSWISH
11-11-2019, 01:11 AM
Different era. More difficult scoring climate. More physicality, perimeter particularly. Much slower pace and less space. Rim defenders. You serious right now? :oldlol:

Gougou
11-11-2019, 01:31 AM
Kobe just because he was elite at offense, also quite good with defense too, but peak Curry very close.

CodeBreaker
11-11-2019, 01:33 AM
Different era. More difficult scoring climate. More physicality, perimeter particularly. Much slower pace and less space. Rim defenders. You serious right now? :oldlol:
Disregarding Kobe's shot selection itself? :lol

Uncle Drew
11-11-2019, 03:50 AM
Despite being a huge fan of the Kobester, Curry is the only right answer here.

ImKobe
11-11-2019, 05:58 AM
Kobe was more consistent on offense and leagues above Curry on defense, it's not even close. Replace Steph with Kobe on those Warriors squads and they win it all from 2014-2019.

Nashty
11-11-2019, 06:56 AM
x2 MVP, one time unanimous vs x1 symphaty MVP. Cmon now, be serious.

Mr Feeny
11-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Kobe just because he was elite at offense, also quite good with defense too, but peak Curry very close.

Except that Kobe was never elite offensively. He's never shot 50% in any season in his career or come close. He's never lead the league in advanced metrics e.g. PER and again, never came close. Shooting a ton of awful shots so that you can get your points doesnt make you elite.

21 Lebron, 3rd year Wade, Dirk, and Nash were all better offensively than prime Kobe.

Mr Feeny
11-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Kobe was more consistent on offense and leagues above Curry on defense, it's not even close. Replace Steph with Kobe on those Warriors squads and they win it all from 2014-2019.

The gap between Curry (who is in the argument for best offensive peak ever) and kobe is much larger than the gap between 2006 Kobe and 2016 Curry defensively.

ImKobe
11-11-2019, 11:07 AM
The gap between Curry (who is in the argument for best offensive peak ever) and kobe is much larger than the gap between 2006 Kobe and 2016 Curry defensively.

Curry is a terrible defensive player while Kobe was elite. 2006 isn't a good comparison because Kobe played with the worst supporting cast while Curry had his best, 2009 Kobe shits on 2016 Curry, just look at the Post-season numbers. Curry is a product of a system while Kobe dominated regardless of his supporting cast. Curry's defensive metrics are a joke, it's all Iguodala, Green and Klay.

Kobe's numbers would be far different in this era, Curry's "offensive peak" is putting up 22 ppg in the Finals and choking a 3 - 1 lead against an inferior opponent. That Warriors squad beat the Rockets without him and were up 2 - 1 in the WCSF before his return, imagine Kobe having a team that could potentially make the Finals without him.

SwayDizzle
11-11-2019, 01:28 PM
Loooool at kobe not being elite offensively. Must be a Celtics fan

superduper
11-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Curry had one of the greatest offensive seasons in history but this is easily Kobe.

Hey Yo
11-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Also the fact that he made 402 threes in a single season, breaking the old record by 116 which was set by none other than Steph himself. Oh and let's not forget most of these shots were from 30+ feet away and contested and he STILL made 45% of them.
:oldlol:

:rolleyes:

Hey Yo
11-11-2019, 01:39 PM
:roll:

6 straight Finals???

Mr Feeny
11-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Curry is a terrible defensive player while Kobe was elite. 2006 isn't a good comparison because Kobe played with the worst supporting cast while Curry had his best, 2009 Kobe shits on 2016 Curry, just look at the Post-season numbers. Curry is a product of a system while Kobe dominated regardless of his supporting cast. Curry's defensive metrics are a joke, it's all Iguodala, Green and Klay.

Kobe's numbers would be far different in this era, Curry's "offensive peak" is putting up 22 ppg in the Finals and choking a 3 - 1 lead against an inferior opponent. That Warriors squad beat the Rockets without him and were up 2 - 1 in the WCSF before his return, imagine Kobe having a team that could potentially make the Finals without him.

Kobe was a horrible defender by 2006. And he wasnt a tenth of the offensive player that peak Steph was.

As I said, the chasm between Steph and Kobe offensively was greater than defensive advantage that Kobe had over Curry

zeerghit
11-11-2019, 02:10 PM
here is your answer
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1904484

superduper
11-11-2019, 02:13 PM
"Kobe was never elite offensively because he never shot 50%"

LMAOO how fking dense do you have to be :facepalm

ForumNerdFeeny knows more than players who have spent 15 year careers in the NBA guarding Kobe night in and night out and say Kobe was easily the hardest person to guard in their careers.

This person was "not elite offensively" because he never shot 50%......:roll:

ImKobe
11-11-2019, 02:50 PM
Kobe was a horrible defender by 2006. And he wasnt a tenth of the offensive player that peak Steph was.

As I said, the chasm between Steph and Kobe offensively was greater than defensive advantage that Kobe had over Curry

I can't take you seriously tbh, you pull this shit on everyone. "horrible defender" "wasn't a tenth of offensive player".

6 straight Finals???

Five. I think it's pretty reasonable tbh. They made four straight with Curry, replacing him with Kobe doesn't change that, I think they would have also made it in 2014, I'm fairly confident that Kobe would own the Spurs like he always did.

NBASTATMAN
11-11-2019, 03:18 PM
PEAK WISE EASILY CURRY .. But career wise Kobe .. :rockon:

Vino24
11-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Curry

SouBeachTalents
11-11-2019, 03:27 PM
Curry's 2016 was legitimately one of the greatest regular seasons ever, but I'd pretty easily take 06-08 Kobe over peak Curry, especially come playoff time

Hey Yo
11-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Five. I think it's pretty reasonable tbh. They made four straight with Curry, replacing him with Kobe doesn't change that, I think they would have also made it in 2014, I'm fairly confident that Kobe would own the Spurs like he always did.
Sorry but, I'm going to take a little time to educate you on how the seasons are worded. Thought you needed earlier in another thread but above confirms it.

This morning in the "Kobe clear cut best player" thread you said from 05-10. A dude quoted you and his opinion was 06-10. You quoted him back and said "yeah, From the start of the 05-06 season to the end of the 09-10 one.
The start of the 05-06 season is just called "the 2006 season." There is no start of 05. The start of the 05 season would be in 2004.

Then in this thread you say Kobe would have titles from 14-19 with Steph's cast. I quoted you and asked "6 straight titles" while laughing. You quoted back above and said Five.

When you say 05-10 that 6 seasons. When you say 2014-2019 that's 6 seasons.

:cheers:

SpaceJam2
11-11-2019, 03:49 PM
Sorry but, I'm going to take a little time to educate you on how the seasons are worded. Thought you needed earlier in another thread but above confirms it.

This morning in the "Kobe clear cut best player" thread you said from 05-10. A dude quoted you and his opinion was 06-10. You quoted him back and said "yeah, From the start of the 05-06 season to the end of the 09-10 one.
The start of the 05-06 season is just called "the 2006 season." There is no start of 05. The start of the 05 season would be in 2004.

Then in this thread you say Kobe would have titles from 14-19 with Steph's cast. I quoted you and asked "6 straight titles" while laughing. You quoted back above and said Five.

Schooled

CodeBreaker
11-11-2019, 10:07 PM

Someone got taken to basketball school

LAmbruh
12-06-2019, 02:01 AM
strong debates on both sides

ThiccBoi
12-06-2019, 11:48 AM
First of all, that retarded Kobe stan got ****ing schooled

And secondly, how is this even a debate? Curry peaked way higher than Kobe, who only has longevity and counting stats going for him.

G0ATbe
12-06-2019, 11:59 AM
You could rely on peak Curry to be more efficient from 3pt range than Kobe's FG% so I'm going with curry.

FKAri
12-06-2019, 12:02 PM
The answer comes down to how you evaluate their teams and their eras more than them as players.

StrongLurk
12-06-2019, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]Kobe, and this shit isn

SouBeachTalents
12-06-2019, 12:21 PM

Wade was great that year, but come on. We've seen better.
'09 Wade was absolutely, at minimum, as good as '06 Kobe was. And I bet you'd find a good amount of people who would argue he was better

sammichoffate
12-06-2019, 12:32 PM
'09 Wade was absolutely, at minimum, as good as '06 Kobe was. And I bet you'd find a good amount of people who would argue he was betterThe advanced stats support Wade, but Kobe had higher win shares. Wade was a better help defender while Kobe was lockdown 1v1. Wade had a slightly better cast so he had higher assist %'s, Kobe was playing with literal trash outside of Lamar Odom.

SouBeachTalents
12-06-2019, 12:33 PM
The advanced stats support Wade, but Kobe had higher win shares. Wade was a better help defender while Kobe was lockdown 1v1. Wade had a slightly better cast so he had higher assist %'s, Kobe was playing with literal trash outside of Lamar Odom.
And it's fine if you say '06 Kobe was better, I wouldn't even disagree with you. But to laugh at '09 Wade being compared to him is where I draw the line, they're absolutely on the same tier imo

sammichoffate
12-06-2019, 12:38 PM
And it's fine if you say '06 Kobe was better, I wouldn't even disagree with you. But to laugh at '09 Wade being compared to him is where I draw the line, they're absolutely on the same tier imoTbf, that was a shitty post. Wade was definitely in the same tier w/ LeBron and Kobe that year. It's a shame he had old Marion and rookie Beasley as his best players during his best year lol.

superduper
12-06-2019, 12:55 PM

Wade was great that year, but come on. We've seen better.

Wade that year was incredible....he was a one man show on both ends.

Unstoppable.

FireDavidKahn
12-06-2019, 12:59 PM
:oldlol: @ giving the edge to a guy who is a defensive liability.

The gap between Kobe and Curry defensively is MUCH wider than the non-existent gap between Curry and Kobe offensively.

What impact exactly did he have on the 73-9 Warriors. Falling down 1-3 vs the Thunder and needing Klay to bail him out? And then blowing a 3-1 lead to LeBron while playing putridly in the Finals?

Dude's only championship as "the man" came with an injured Kyrie/Love and with Iggy stealing the Finals MVP for him. Funny how that vaunted efficiency who displays in the regular season fails to materialize in the Finals and during crunch time of the playoffs...
Preposterous statement of the year nominee.

At least Curry was able to make the play offs in his prime.

Kobe?:roll: :roll: :roll:

72-10
12-07-2019, 12:14 AM
Curry in a snow flurry.

Stanley Kobrick
06-23-2020, 12:27 PM
2 fmvps beats 0 fmvps