PDA

View Full Version : The NBA created this load management craze themselves

90sgoat
11-08-2019, 11:01 AM
With their rules.

The NBA today is a 3 point shootout based on "analytics".

Because the NBA season is 82 games long, if you have a team of decent 3 point shooters and rebounders, as the good teams have, you can just up the 3 point shots when you rest your star and let variance do its thing.

A strategy high in 3 point shots has a higher variance, which means that upsets are more likely to happen. So you can just outgun your opponent when the best player is out and go extra hard on the rebounding. More 3 point shots, more rebounds. More hustle, more rebounds, more 3s.

No need for a star.

This is "analytics" for you.

If the NBA had created a league in which defense was actually valuable, you wouldn't be able to cheat the system in such a simple manner.

STATUTORY
11-08-2019, 11:03 AM
good post. modern NBA is more RNG based and less skill reliant

90sgoat
11-08-2019, 11:08 AM
good post. modern NBA is more RNG based and less skill reliant

"Analytics" strategy is like those vids of an AI trying to play a computer game and spamming the same glitch over and over.

STATUTORY
11-08-2019, 11:15 AM
"Analytics" strategy is like those vids of an AI trying to play a computer game and spamming the same glitch over and over.
that's literally how James Harden approaches basketball. straight cheesing

Showtime80'
11-08-2019, 11:25 AM
The NBA HAD a league were defense was viable, at least until 2005.

They SHAT their collective pants when they realized that the generation that came from the mid 90's onward (Aside from Tim Duncan) had deficient fundamentals and basketball IQ thanks to the AAU influence and just wanted to play off their athleticism which resulted in the defenses ALLOWED at the time to completely stifle them as evidenced by most of the "star" perimeter guys shooting in the mid to low 40's on FG% from 1999 to 2005.

Compound that with the championship runs from the defensive oriented Spurs and Pistons from 2003 to 2005 which had some of the lowest Finals ratings in history and you start to get the picture on why the NBA had to alter their rules to make life easier for their golden boy primadonna perimeter offensive players.

Immediately after that, Dwyane Wade wins Finals MVP in 2006 shooting a million free throws, Steve Nash wins back to back MVP's and subsequently guys like Derick Rose, Steph Curry, James Harden and Russell Dumbrook are ALLOWED to happen. LeBron and Durant benefited GREATLY from the rule changes as well.

A HUGE part of the NBA as a true sport died with the retirement of Michael Jordan and the disbanding of the Bulls in 1998 but it got COMPLETELY buried when it took away ANY shred of defensive freedom and physicality in 2005.

Rico2016
11-08-2019, 11:27 AM
The future is now old man

90sgoat
11-08-2019, 11:41 AM
The future is now old man

The future is Luka:bowdown:

Haymaker
11-08-2019, 11:46 AM
The Spurs created Load Management :oldlol: I remember Pop even joked about it once when he listed Duncan as DNP. The reason he gave to the league? Duncan is old. :roll:

90sgoat
11-08-2019, 11:50 AM
The Spurs created Load Management :oldlol: I remember Pop even joked about it once when he listed Duncan as DNP. The reason he gave to the league? Duncan is old. :roll:

I don't think resting 38 year old Duncan is seen as a problem though.

Resting a 28 year old superstar, yes.

AlternativeAcc.
11-08-2019, 11:56 AM
I don't think resting 38 year old Duncan is seen as a problem though.

Resting a 28 year old superstar, yes.
Yes but Kawhi is severely autistic and reclusive.

I think it's a means of keeping him psychologically fresh just as much as it's a physical one.

We've already seen him go haywire and quit on the GOAT coach because the pressure of coming back was too stressful for him. He needed another year, because hes mentally deficient.

I think the Clippers are handling him well. Treat him like the weak-minded hermit that he is.

90sgoat
11-08-2019, 12:35 PM
I think it's a means of keeping him psychologically fresh just as much as it's a physical one.

Now that's a hot take (unique poster) AlternativeAcc.

I think there could be something to that.

I cringed a little when Serge bullied Kawhi into eating horse ****:facepalm