PDA

View Full Version : Is Pau Gasol a Top 10 All Time Powerforward?

Round Mound
11-11-2019, 01:50 AM
What's your all time top 10 powerforward list like?

Discuss...

superduper
11-11-2019, 01:51 AM
Would we be saying the same thing about Bosh if he was Kobe's 2nd option?

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-11-2019, 01:57 AM
hell no

KG
Dirk
Timmy (most of his later career was at the 5)
Chuck
Karl
Pettit
Hayes
Mchale
Debusschere
Davis
Bosh

Pau is somewhere in the honorable mentions with Rodman, CWebb, Bobby Jones, Sheed etc

Round Mound
11-11-2019, 02:13 AM

[B]Bosh played 3rd fiddle to Wade and Lebron in his finals run. I don

Smoke117
11-11-2019, 02:15 AM
He certainly has a case, but why even waste your time to ask this question on this worthless board of kobe stans? This shit heel of a board is the last place you should try to start a decent debate. BRAN, KOBE, JORDAN. Stick to that if you want any real attention to your thread.

Smook A.
11-11-2019, 02:29 AM
In no order...

Duncan
KG
Dirk
Malone
Barkley
McHale
Hayes
Pettit
Bosh
AD

He has a case, but I think he's borderline top 10. All those guys above are definitely better than Pau, imo. You can probably add Rodman in there too, although I think Pau has the edge on him because he was way more skilled offensively.

BigShotBob
11-11-2019, 02:40 AM
No. Probably not even the best Gasol in his family.

Andrei89
11-11-2019, 02:59 AM
ONly people that put Bosh in the top 10 are Lebron haters with agenda.

And I like the Boshtrich

iamgine
11-11-2019, 03:13 AM
Gasol is a 'maybe' top 10, along with Webber, Bosh, Schayes, Brand, etc.

After these 'definite' top 8 players:

Duncan
Malone
Barkley
KG
Dirk
McHale
Pettit
AD

FultzNationRISE
11-11-2019, 03:18 AM
Absolutely.

Ofc the box score watchers (aka kobe stans) will try to downplay his impact by pointing to his statistical output.

In reality, he transformed a low-IQ Laker roster into a cohesive championship unit. That’s an achievement of enormous intangible value. How many power forwards have ever had that kind of impact? Very few, frankly.

He’s somewhere between 5-10 and tbh probably closer to 5.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-11-2019, 03:19 AM
ONly people that put Bosh in the top 10 are Lebron haters with agenda.

And I like the Boshtrich

Yeah the dude who was an 11 straight all-star averaging 20/9/3 on 50% in that span definitely had no case over Pau Gasol:roll:

Bosh also reinvented his game to being one of the best defenders and pickandroll defensive bigs in the league. He was the most crucial part of the Heats blitzing defense and traps in their run from 2012 on. Plus took away and sacrificed his numbers as the 3rd guy andevloped a 3pt shot to provide super spacing for Bran/Wade

At least Bosh was able to win playoff games as his team's best player

Pau was 0-12 pre-Kobe in the playoffs, sweep, sweep, sweep
Then Kobe goes down in 2013 and Pau has a chance to show himself as his team's best player......what happens?

0-16 without Kobe,swept yet again

It wasn't until he played with a better player in Jimmy Butler or as a role player on the Spurs when he would win playoff games without Kobe

Kobe literally changed his bum life and Pau did not have to sacrifice his game to play with Kobe and it even got optimized alongside Kobe. He had his best and most efficient years with him, no coincidence. And Pau was never a.good defender either certainly not on the level of Heat Bosh

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-11-2019, 03:21 AM
No. Probably not even the best Gasol in his family.

Good point specially after what Spain did this year without him

Back in the day pre-2011 there were actually Laker and Pau stand that argued Pau > Dirk because of international play:roll: :roll:

SpaceJam
11-11-2019, 03:31 AM
Yeah the dude who was an 11 straight all-star averaging 20/9/3 on 50% in that span definitely had no case over Pau Gasol:roll:

Bosh also reinvented his game to being one of the best defenders and pickandroll defensive bigs in the league. He was the most crucial part of the Heats blitzing defense and traps in their run from 2012 on. Plus took away and sacrificed his numbers as the 3rd guy andevloped a 3pt shot to provide super spacing for Bran/Wade

At least Bosh was able to win playoff games as his team's best player

Pau was 0-12 pre-Kobe in the playoffs, sweep, sweep, sweep
Then Kobe goes down in 2013 and Pau has a chance to show himself as his team's best player......what happens?

0-16 without Kobe,swept yet again

It wasn't until he played with a better player in Jimmy Butler or as a role player on the Spurs when he would win playoff games without Kobe

Kobe literally changed his bum life and Pau did not have to sacrifice his game to play with Kobe and it even got optimized alongside Kobe. He had his best and most efficient years with him, no coincidence. And Pau was never a.good defender either certainly not on the level of Heat Bosh

You just typed all that and dude didn't even say he had Gasol over Bosh :roll:

chains5000
11-11-2019, 04:09 AM
Top 10's too much.
Still a better player than Bosh.

Uncle Drew
11-11-2019, 04:22 AM
hell no

KG
Dirk
Chuck
Karl
Pettit
Hayes
Mchale
Debusschere
Davis
Bosh

Pau is somewhere in the honorable mentions with Rodman, CWebb, Bobby Jones, Sheed etc
What about Taj Gibson?

TOUCH MY BODY
11-11-2019, 05:12 AM
Pau was a nobody losing every year with Memphis. It wasn't until he arrived in LA when Kobe turned him into an elite power forward.

ImKobe
11-11-2019, 05:22 AM
In no order...

Duncan
KG
Dirk
Malone
Barkley
McHale
Hayes
Pettit
Bosh
AD

He has a case, but I think he's borderline top 10. All those guys above are definitely better than Pau, imo. You can probably add Rodman in there too, although I think Pau has the edge on him because he was way more skilled offensively.

He has no case... the guy made one all-star team in 7 years and was 0-12 in the Playoffs prior to the Lakers trade.

I agree with the 10, but then you look at guys like Tom Chambers, Shawn Kemp and Horace Grant, is Pau really better than them? What about Draymond Green?

SpaceJam
11-11-2019, 06:02 AM
Technically he should have a FMVP which would have cemented his spot

Nashty
11-11-2019, 06:53 AM
Yes, x2 FMVP is definitely a top 10 PF of all time. Also vastly underrated defensively (same with Odom) to hype up Kobe.

tanibanana
11-11-2019, 09:10 AM
He played Center for most part of his career, like 65% of the time. So I'd say he is a Center.
But for this thread, as a PF, he should be ranked anywhere #9 to #10.

Jay-B
11-11-2019, 01:18 PM
No way

Hey Yo
11-11-2019, 01:31 PM
Kobe was 1A and Pau 1B

superduper
11-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Kobe was 1A and Pau 1B

Oh but 30-7-7 in the playoffs Kobe got carried to rings right?

Durr Yo :roll:

Hey Yo
11-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Oh but 30-7-7 in the playoffs Kobe got carried to rings right?

Durr Yo :roll:
He never averaged that for a postseason.

Try again.

ImKobe
11-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Kobe was 1A and Pau 1B
30/6/6 and 19/11 are pretty close right :rolleyes:

1B players don't put up a single 30+ point game past the 2nd round right :roll:

SouBeachTalents
11-11-2019, 03:02 PM
There's the consensus top 5

Duncan
Malone
KG
Dirk
Barkley

Then I'd assume everyone would have

Pettit
McHale
Hayes

And let's assume AD fulfills his potential, there's 9

You could argue Rodman, Gasol, Bosh etc for that last spot

AirBonner
11-11-2019, 03:04 PM
First post triggered. This is about Pau Gasol :biggums:

RRR3
11-11-2019, 03:06 PM
There's the consensus top 5

Duncan
Malone
KG
Dirk
Barkley

Then I'd assume everyone would have

Pettit
McHale
Hayes

And let's assume AD fulfills his potential, there's 9

You could argue Rodman, Gasol, Bosh etc for that last spot
Chris Webber? Dave DeBusschere? Jerry Lucas?

SouBeachTalents
11-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Chris Webber? Dave DeBusschere? Jerry Lucas?
That's why I said etc bro :lol They'd be included too

Kiddlovesnets
11-11-2019, 04:55 PM

We wouldn

superduper
11-11-2019, 04:57 PM
We wouldn’t, ‘Cause with Chris Bosh there was no way Kobe would have gotten dat 2 FMVP rings. Even when he ain’t scoring, Gasol was an excellent passer and his existence altered the game. There was a reason why Gasol had the highest win-share in 2010.

So why is Gasol 0-16 in the first round of the playoffs as the first option without Kobe? 4 of those Ls being with Dwight Howard and Steve Nash as his 2nd/3rd options?

Kobe with Bosh would be at least 2 if not 3.

Kiddlovesnets
11-11-2019, 05:16 PM
So why is Gasol 0-16 in the first round of the playoffs as the first option without Kobe? 4 of those Ls being with Dwight Howard and Steve Nash as his 2nd/3rd options?

Kobe with Bosh would be at least 2 if not 3.

So why was prime Kobe never past the 1st round of playoffs without Gasol? Also there is a thing called team chemistry, and Gasol was by far the best fit with Kobe, its a match made in heaven. Replace Gasol by Bosh will definitely not have the same effect, and guaranteed to make the team worse off.

Nashty
11-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Gasol was losing against a big 3 Spurs who also had one of the GOAT role players and clutch shooters Horry, against the Suns with MVP Steve Nash, Amare, young Joe Johnson, Marion, against one of the GOAT PFs Nowitzki. And Gasols best teammates were Battier, James Posey, Jason Williams, Mike Miller. Kobe could not get out of the 1st round with a teammate who averaged 19-12-4 with pretty good defense and was a walking miss match.

Round Mound
11-11-2019, 06:32 PM
Pau Gasol Saves Kobe Bryant's Legacy - Game 7 2010 NBA Finals (Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4lTmal6JFQ

SpaceJam2
11-11-2019, 06:38 PM
hell no

KG
Dirk
Chuck
Karl
Pettit
Hayes
Mchale
Debusschere
Davis
Bosh

Could be the worst live I've ever seen, Congrats to you :lol

tpols
11-11-2019, 06:49 PM
Pau never even made an all NBA team at his position til he went to LA and you're asking if he's top 10 ALL TIME ??

:roll:

RRR3
11-11-2019, 06:51 PM
Pau never even made an all NBA team at his position til he went to LA and you're asking if he's top 10 ALL TIME ??

:roll:
Bosh made one his entire career :eek:

Pau made one in Chicago too btw

ImKobe
11-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Gasol was losing against a big 3 Spurs who also had one of the GOAT role players and clutch shooters Horry, against the Suns with MVP Steve Nash, Amare, young Joe Johnson, Marion, against one of the GOAT PFs Nowitzki. And Gasols best teammates were Battier, James Posey, Jason Williams, Mike Miller. Kobe could not get out of the 1st round with a teammate who averaged 19-12-4 with pretty good defense and was a walking miss match.

Pau lost 12 straight games :roll: 0 - 12, he also got swept in 2013 with Dwight Howard and Steve Nash.

Jason Williams is better than any PG Kobe played with from 00-12, Mike Miller was one of the best shooters in his time and won rings with Lebron, Shane Battier is one of the better perimeter defenders of his era and also won 2 rings with the Heat. You can't win ONE GAME out of 12 with those guys?

RRR3
11-11-2019, 06:58 PM
Pau lost 12 straight games :roll: 0 - 12, he also got swept in 2013 with Dwight Howard and Steve Nash.

Jason Williams is better than any PG Kobe played with from 00-12, Mike Miller was one of the best shooters in his time and won rings with Lebron, Shane Battier is one of the better perimeter defenders of his era and also won 2 rings with the Heat. You can't win ONE GAME out of 12 with those guys?
This is why no one takes you seriously. Sure Nashty is a useless troll, but just call him a retard and move on.

ImKobe
11-11-2019, 07:00 PM
This is why no one takes you seriously. Sure Nashty is a useless troll, but just call him a retard and move on.

So name me a better PG than Jason Williams that Kobe played with from 00-12?

RRR3
11-11-2019, 07:08 PM
So name me a better PG than Jason Williams that Kobe played with from 00-12?
Gee, I dunno, maybe GARY PAYTON.

And let’s not act like Fisher wasn’t anywhere close in terms of value. Jason Williams....wasn’t good. Sure he was better than Fisher in vacuum but with Kobe he’d be a worse fit.

ImKobe
11-11-2019, 07:13 PM
Gee, I dunno, maybe GARY PAYTON.

And let’s not act like Fisher wasn’t arguably more valuable. Jason Williams....wasn’t good.

Jason Williams was so bad he started over Gary Payton on the 2006 Heat :rolleyes:

Gary Payton was a failure for us in the Playoffs, he struggled in the triangle. We would have probably been better with Jason Williams that year.

RRR3
11-11-2019, 07:16 PM
Jason Williams was so bad he started over Gary Payton on the 2006 Heat :rolleyes:

Gary Payton was a failure for us in the Playoffs, he struggled in the triangle. We would have probably been better with Jason Williams that year.
06 Payton=/=04 Payton.

He was coming off of an all star season in 2003. Kobe didn’t do well playing next to other high usage ballhandlers, look at how Nash started playing off ball a lot with Kobe.

ImKobe
11-11-2019, 07:17 PM
06 Payton=/=04 Payton.

But how does that happen if Williams is.....not that good?

Steve Nash got injured his 2nd game with Kobe so that's unfair to say tbh.

RRR3
11-11-2019, 07:18 PM
But how does that happen if Williams is.....not that good?
Good enough to be better in his prime than the corpse of Gary Payton. MVP. MVP.

Read the rest of my post.

tpols
11-11-2019, 07:24 PM
Bosh made one his entire career :eek:

Pau made one in Chicago too btw

Yea... Bosh made his before he team hopped... when he had his own team just like pau and even worse teammates, he was All NBA.

Thats the funny thing... on their own as first options, Bosh was considered better and we have the all NBA voting as undeniable proof.

Even Carlos Boozer was voted to the team over Pau lmao.

ArbitraryWater
11-11-2019, 07:36 PM
Crazy to think Nash still averaged 13/7 on 50% in limited minutes for the Kobe Lakers, and Kobe fans like to act like he was just some bum.

Like he wasnt coming off an AS season and kept his scoring average

RRR3
11-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Yea... Bosh made his before he team hopped... when he had his own team just like pau and even worse teammates, he was All NBA.

Thats the funny thing... on their own as first options, Bosh was considered better and we have the all NBA voting as undeniable proof.

Who led their teams to the playoffs more in a tougher conference doe?

Boozer? Really? So were the 11 Bulls a super team then?

SouBeachTalents
11-11-2019, 07:38 PM

So by your own admission Bosh wasn't even a top 6 big man in the game his last 3 years in Toronto. We have the All-NBA voting as undeniable proof.

Even Carlos Boozer was voted to the team over Bosh lmao.

RRR3
11-11-2019, 07:40 PM
So by your own admission Bosh wasn't even a top 6 big man in the game his last 3 years in Toronto. We have the All-NBA voting as undeniable proof.

supastahhhh Boozer :bowdown:

tpols
11-11-2019, 07:52 PM

1 all NBA team is still better than 0...

Yes Utah Jazz Carlos Boozer was considered on the level of pau and bosh back then.

The difference is he didnt play with Lebron or Kobe. If he had, and won rings his name would likewise be shown in a totally different light.

ImKobe
11-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Crazy to think Nash still averaged 13/7 on 50% in limited minutes for the Kobe Lakers, and Kobe fans like to act like he was just some bum.

Like he wasnt coming off an AS season and kept his scoring average

?

I said 00-12 for a reason. Didn't Pau get swept with Nash and Howard btw? Any info on that?

Nashty
11-11-2019, 08:21 PM
Why are you comparing PGs, Kobe never worked good with a good PG, same like LeBron, they worked best with a 3&D PG, and Fisher was way better in that role than Williams. And Odom was way better player than Williams who was the best player Gasol played in Memphis.

superduper
11-11-2019, 08:21 PM
?

I said 00-12 for a reason. Didn't Pau get swept with Nash and Howard btw? Any info on that?

Pau? Is that the guy who's 0-16 as the first option in the first round without Kobe in his career?

RRR3
11-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Why are you comparing PGs, Kobe never played worked good with a good PG, same like LeBron, they worked best with a 3&D PG, and Fisher was way better in that role than Williams. And Odom was way better player than Williams who was the best player Gasol played in Memphis.
Trololololol

Nashty
11-11-2019, 08:27 PM
?

I have some info on that. First of all that team should not even be in the playoffs how bad they played, and I know that because I'm a Nash fan and I watched every single Lakers game that season. They got in to the playoffs because of the referees in like the last 15 games of the season. Second, Nash played only 2 games in the playoffs, and he was not healthy in those 2 games, and they was also without their backup point guard. That team would get swept even if all them were healthy including Kobe, because the team sucked ass.

Nashty
11-11-2019, 08:29 PM
Trololololol

So, you are saying that the guy who averaged 12 and 5 with bad defense was better than the guy that averaged 19,12,4 with elite defense, and I am troll?

houston
11-11-2019, 09:29 PM
no he aint better than webber

ClipperRevival
11-11-2019, 11:56 PM
Outside of the obvious, how about guys like Weber and Kemp? Weber, at his peak, was just better than Gasol imo. And you can also argue Kemp too.

There are probably others that I can't think of right now. Gasol is clearly a tier below some of the best ever at PF. He's probably closer to the 15ish range than top 10.

1987_Lakers
11-12-2019, 12:08 AM
People need to educate themselves on Elvin Hayes, dude was an absolute cancer.

LAmbruh
11-12-2019, 02:59 AM
easily

not to mention his teams have had favorable success his whole career outside of Lakers, great impact

far better than those said to be 'iconic' 90's power forwards :lol

superduper
11-12-2019, 09:30 AM
easily

not to mention his teams have had favorable success his whole career outside of Lakers, great impact

far better than those said to be 'iconic' 90's power forwards :lol

Why is Pau Gawdsol 0-16 in the first round as the first option of his own team without Kobe?

Any thoughts on this?

Great impact.

ImKobe
11-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Why are you comparing PGs, Kobe never worked good with a good PG, same like LeBron, they worked best with a 3&D PG, and Fisher was way better in that role than Williams. And Odom was way better player than Williams who was the best player Gasol played in Memphis.

Ok, how did Gasol get swept with Dwight Howard and Steve Nash? Didn't the Lakers have a top 5 record post-ASB that season? Heck, even the Mavs took the Spurs to 7 games the following year in the first round, why couldn't Pau win a single Playoff game without Kobe from 00-13?

Odom might have been a bit better than Jason Williams but you look at the overall rosters. Gasol had great 3&D guys who were key pieces on championship rosters down the line and are we going to look at the 2007-08 season prior to the Gasol trade? They were 11-28 in the 39 games Gasol played and had Mike Conley, Rudy Gay, Mike Miller, Kyle Lowry, Navarro...

chains5000
11-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Why is Pau Gawdsol 0-16 in the first round as the first option of his own team without Kobe?

Any thoughts on this?

Great impact.
He had a shitty team when he was young, and played in the West.
You'd know if you hadn't started watching the NBA a year ago.

stalkerforlife
11-12-2019, 09:49 AM
If he never played with Kobe, this would never be a topic.

Never.

PickernRoller
11-12-2019, 10:44 AM
No.

You could make a case for a low Top 15.

ImKobe
11-12-2019, 11:15 AM
He had a shitty team when he was young, and played in the West.
You'd know if you hadn't started watching the NBA a year ago.

Was his team shitty when he had Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Ron Artest in the first round in 2013 while losing by a historic margin at the time? Was his team shitty when they were 11 - 28 with Rudy Gay, Mike Conley, Mike Miller and Kyle Lowry in 2008 before he got bailed out by a trade to the Lakers?

chains5000
11-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Was his team shitty when he had Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Ron Artest in the first round in 2013 while losing by a historic margin at the time? Was his team shitty when they were 11 - 28 with Rudy Gay, Mike Conley, Mike Miller and Kyle Lowry in 2008 before he got bailed out by a trade to the Lakers?
Howard and him in the same team were a bad fit, Gasol wasn't suited to play as a D'Antoni PF.
Nash played 2 games and was obviously too old and not the same player anymore.
Artest played really and I think he missed a game too.
How can name their PG and SG rotation outside Nash?:oldlol:

As for the Grizzlies, by season start they had already decided Gay was their future and Pau wasn't playing as hard, Memphis were thinking about rebuilding, not winning.
Conley was a rookie and Lowry a second year player, c'mon...

BTW, a Knicks vs Grizzlies game during that season is the only live NBA game I've been too. Miller and Navarro were the best players (Gasol had already been traded). Knicks were even worse:oldlol:

Rico2016
11-12-2019, 11:35 AM
Nope. Close though, prob Gasol at 11 and Bosh around 15

ImKobe
11-12-2019, 11:38 AM
Howard and him in the same team were a bad fit, Gasol wasn't suited to play as a D'Antoni PF.
Nash played 2 games and was obviously too old and not the same player anymore.
Artest played really and I think he missed a game too.
How can name their PG and SG rotation outside Nash?:oldlol:

As for the Grizzlies, by season start they had already decided Gay was their future and Pau wasn't playing as hard, Memphis were thinking about rebuilding, not winning.
Conley was a rookie and Lowry a second year player, c'mon...

BTW, a Knicks vs Grizzlies game during that season is the only live NBA game I've been too. Miller and Navarro were the best players (Gasol had already been traded). Knicks were even worse:oldlol:

I remember this gem from back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaVa6NHwUUg

"We got ZACH RANDOLPH" :lol they had a 20-win season and ended up cleaning house.

They got rid of everyone, but Zach did become a beast in Memphis and upset a #1 seeded Spurs team and later took them to the WCF.

chains5000
11-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Gasol isn't top 10 all time, only retards would say that to make Kobe look worse, but he was a great player who shouldn't be considered a bad one just to make Kobe look better.

chains5000
11-12-2019, 11:42 AM
It's a shame Gasol being traded prevented Navarro from staying in the league longer.

superduper
11-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Gasol isn't top 10 all time, only retards would say that to make Kobe look worse, but he was a great player who shouldn't be considered a bad one just to make Kobe look better.

I agree just like saying "Kobe stole Paus 2 FMVPs" is equally as retarded if not more.

chains5000
11-12-2019, 11:49 AM
I agree just like saying "Kobe stole Paus 2 FMVPs" is equally as retarded if not more.
Gasol was in the talks for one, but that's far from saying kobe stole the FMVP.

SpaceJam2
11-12-2019, 04:52 PM

Gasol was a monster 19-12-4 48% fg and 2.6 bpg with a 18.6 GmSc (Kobe had 18.7)

bizil
11-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Going by GOAT status, these guys are locks:

Timmy
Mailman
Dirk
KG
Barkley
Petitt
McHale
Hayes

Now after these guys, u got guys like Rodman, Bosh, C Webb, Dave D, Schayes, Lucas, and Pau. And AD is a beast on the comeup who's gonna rise up the PF charts are a rapid pace IF he can stay healthy. U even got guys like an Amare and K Love who put up tremendous stats and were All Star type players for a very good amount of time.

I think what could hurt Pau could be his ACTUAL peak-prime status.
While he was FOR SURE a true All Star type of PF, he was never quite the SUPERSTAR or alpha dog type like the PF's in that top 10 area. Personally, I'm inclined to put Rodman in my top 10 GOAT PF's. 5 rings, 8 time all defense, 7 rebounding titles, and 2 DPOY is some MAJOR SHIT!!! Should have made more All Star games and All NBA teams than he did.

Nashty
11-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Gasol should have been x2 FMVP.

In 2009 he was most valuable because he destroyed best center in the league, while Kobe was stat padding vs role players like Pietrus. In 2010 he again destroyed one of the best defenders in the league, and one of the greatest PFs of all time, while Kobe was trying his best to chuck away another championship like in 2004, but Gasol was just too good and didn't let him do it.