PDA

View Full Version : If Wilt played today would we marginalize his stats

AirBonner
11-14-2019, 10:23 AM
Like we do with Harden

Marchesk
11-14-2019, 10:27 AM
Depends on whether he was hated. I could see Warriors Wilt being criticized. 76ers Wilt would be more respected overall. Lakers wilt would be like recent Lebron.

Biggest issue would be Russell winning on those rings. At least West, Baylor and Oscar had that problem as well.

Bronbron23
11-14-2019, 11:36 AM
Didn't wilt win a chip?

And you guys can't actually think that hardens would get the same stats in other eras do you? Or that he'd get these stats if he was playing within a system that emphasis team ball movement?

What he's doing is still crazy I'll admit that but the playoffs alone prove that he wouldn't do this in more physical era's. Now take him out of Dantoni's system and put him in a system that uses more ball movement and stats would go down even more. Nothing crazy or anything. He's still average 25-28 but he'd be nowhere near where he is now. This isn't hating it's just common sense

Marchesk
11-14-2019, 11:42 AM
Didn't wilt win a chip?

Yeah one on the 76ers and one on the Lakers, but not when he was putting up the crazy scoring stats on the Warriors.

His 50 pint season was part gimmick to put people in the stands, and part strategy by the head coach thinking that was the only way to compete with the Celtics. And they did only lose by two in a seven game series in the playoffs, but Wilt didn't average quite as much.

Also, Wilt was playing every minute early in his career because he signed the biggest contract in history at the time, so they didn't want to pay for a backup. Which is just all kinds of crazy compared to today. Luckily Wilt was an iron man.

hiphopanonymous
11-14-2019, 11:44 AM
If Wilt played today he'd have different stats, with a different context

Doubtful anyone here has a thought educated enough to share on this topic

Bronbron23
11-14-2019, 12:16 PM
Yeah one on the 76ers and one on the Lakers, but not when he was putting up the crazy scoring stats on the Warriors.

His 50 pint season was part gimmick to put people in the stands, and part strategy by the head coach thinking that was the only way to compete with the Celtics. And they did only lose by two in a seven game series in the playoffs, but Wilt didn't average quite as much.

Also, Wilt was playing every minute early in his career because he signed the biggest contract in history at the time, so they didn't want to pay for a backup. Which is just all kinds of crazy compared to today. Luckily Wilt was an iron man.
Yeah I get all of that. My point was harden dosnt belong in the conversation with other scoring greats like wilt, mj, Kobe, bird, LeBron or even steph. They've all put up big stats while winning. And who know maybe harden will. I don't see it personally but if he does than we can have the discussion. Until he does that or at least gets close while being more efficient in the playoffs we gotta stop this foolishness.

AlternativeAcc.
11-14-2019, 12:23 PM
Wilt couldn't play in todays era on a high school team.

He lacks the coordination and fluidity that all players today have.

If he was born in the 90's he might've developed the capacity to play, but Wilt as we know him couldn't make an elementary school team, let alone play in the NBA.

Bronbron23
11-14-2019, 12:29 PM
If Wilt played today he'd have different stats, with a different context

Doubtful anyone here has a thought educated enough to share on this topic
I pretty much agree. It's very hard to compare era's to begin with. The problem with most people assessing wilt is they think if wilt played now he's be the same player. He wouldn't he'd have 50 years of evolution. Well more like 20 or 30. The game came along way from the 60 and 70's to the 90's. From the 90's and on not a whole has evolved other than the use of the 3 ball. It's kind of like rap. Rap came a long way from the 80's to the 90's and then it kind of leveled out. There's only so much room for growth with anything new. Eventually it's gonna level out somewhat.

Wilt was a crazy athlete. He was by far the best athlete the game has ever seen. You put his athleticism, size and length with today's skills and and he'd be ridiculous. He'd be way more athletic than embid and he puts up 25 and 13 easily. Based on that I'd say wilt would realistically put up 32-35 a game with 15-20 boards. He could score more than that but this is a gaurd three ball era so the ball wouldn't go through him as much as it did when he played.

Wally450
11-14-2019, 12:36 PM
Yeah I get all of that. My point was harden dosnt belong in the conversation with other scoring greats like wilt, mj, Kobe, bird, LeBron or even steph. They've all put up big stats while winning. And who know maybe harden will. I don't see it personally but if he does than we can have the discussion. Until he does that or at least gets close while being more efficient in the playoffs we gotta stop this foolishness.

The supporting casts for most of the guys you mention were great. Greater than what Harden had (except 2018). That's the reason Steph gets mentioned in conversations like you're talking about, but really, Steph doesn't belong in the same conversation as the MJs, the Birds, and the LeBrons.

AlternativeAcc.
11-14-2019, 12:39 PM
I pretty much agree. It's very hard to compare era's to begin with. The problem with most people assessing wilt is they think if wilt played now he's be the same player. He wouldn't he'd have 50 years of evolution. Well more like 20 or 30. The game came along way from the 60 and 70's to the 90's. From the 90's and on not a whole has evolved other than the use of the 3 ball. It's kind of like rap. Rap came a long way from the 80's to the 90's and then it kind of leveled out. There's only so much room for growth with anything new. Eventually it's gonna level out somewhat.

Wilt was a crazy athlete. He was by far the best athlete the game has ever seen. You put his athleticism, size and length with today's skills and and he'd be ridiculous. He'd be way more athletic than embid and he puts up 25 and 13 easily. Based on that I'd say wilt would realistically put up 32-35 a game with 15-20 boards. He could score more than that but this is a gaurd three ball era so the ball wouldn't go through him as much as it did when he played.
You just assume Wilt has the capacity to develop the skills needed to play in today's NBA?

Wilt never showcased the coordination, dexterity, or fluidity so there's no point in assuming he would've magically developed that stuff if he was born 30 years later

Growing up in todays era would've given him a better chance to develop those skills, but there's no guarantee

Being that big usually comes at a cost, and that cost is fluidity and coordination (which Wilt didn't have)

It's why guys like Shaq and LeBron are so rare and could dominate in ANY era.

We can't just assume Wilt could've been in that same category.

In reality he was lucky to be born in the era he was, a time before skills and coordination were needed

Bronbron23
11-14-2019, 12:42 PM
The supporting casts for most of the guys you mention were great. Greater than what Harden had (except 2018). That's the reason Steph gets mentioned in conversations like you're talking about, but really, Steph doesn't belong in the same conversation as the MJs, the Birds, and the LeBrons.
I don't know man and I'm not a Steph fan. The one thing that people miss about Steph is his off ball movement and his willingness to sacrifice stats for team success. It's tough because him and harden are different players. You couldn't put either in each other's roles and have any kind of success. Hardens on ball dominance wouldnt work in the warriors system and Steph can't create his own shot as good as harden can so he wouldn't be as successful in a ball dominant role.

That said I generally agree that Steph dosnt belong with the guys you mentioned.

Bronbron23
11-14-2019, 12:47 PM
You just assume Wilt has the capacity to develop the skills needed to play in today's NBA?

Wilt never showcased the coordination, dexterity, or fluidity so there's no point in assuming he would've magically developed that stuff if he was born 30 years later

Growing up in todays era would've given him a better chance to develop those skills, but there's no guarantee

Being that big usually comes at a cost, and that cost is fluidity and coordination (which Wilt didn't have)

It's why guys like Shaq and LeBron are so rare and could dominate in ANY era.

We can't just assume Wilt could've been in that same category.

In reality he was lucky to be born in the era he was, a time before skills and coordination were needed I totally disagree. I don't think you know enough about wilt to make that coordination comment. Wilt was a crazy athlete. He was an elite volleyball player and track star.

You can't be serious?

hiphopanonymous
11-14-2019, 12:58 PM
I totally disagree. I don't think you know enough about wilt to make that coordination comment. Wilt was a crazy athlete. He was an elite volleyball player and track star.

You can't be serious?
He's not serious - look at his name (alt account) :oldlol:

hiphopanonymous
11-14-2019, 01:04 PM

Wilt plucked from high school or college age and dropped into the NBA would likely drive more, and post-up less. He'd play a little more like Giannis and it'd be terrifying. Wilt plucked from the NBA as a veteran would likely still post-up a ton but still recognize the lax ball handling rules and capitalize with mid range drives.

What his stats would be is anybodies guess, but recognizing he'd be completely unstoppable and smart and charismatic enough to lead the league in several areas, perhaps with as much bravado as he did in his own time, is a comfortable conclusion. He's got that it factor no matter how his playstyle would adjust due to rules.

Bronbron23
11-14-2019, 01:33 PM
He's not serious - look at his name (alt account) :oldlol:
Fair enough. It all makes sense now lol