PDA

View Full Version : is this the worst generation in cinema history??

diamenz
11-17-2019, 12:46 AM
with the sjw flop of feminator and other classics like ghostbusters, oceans & star wars getting raped (even video games like battlefield), along with the absence of great actors (where's the pacinos, deniros, nicholsons and hopkins of today?), this has to be the shittiest era in film history. i mean, there's some good stuff out there, but this era is just LACKING. it's pretty sad to see.

highwhey
11-17-2019, 01:14 AM
shitty film era for sure. but greatest TV era.

True Detective S1 confirmed film actors could move towards the TV sector and do well.

LAmbruh
11-17-2019, 01:22 AM
vidya games have been great

delivering packages on Death Stranding right na

finna redbox Jedi Fallen Order afterwards :dancin

bladefd
11-17-2019, 03:46 AM
vidya games have been great

delivering packages on Death Stranding right na

finna redbox Jedi Fallen Order afterwards :dancin

It seems the older you get, the more your interest in videogames wanes a bit. I dunno, I just don't have the same interest in videogames in my late 20s as teenage years and early/mid 20s :(

diamenz
11-17-2019, 04:19 AM
It seems the older you get, the more your interest in videogames wanes a bit. I dunno, I just don't have the same interest in videogames in my late 20s as teenage years and early/mid 20s :(

ya. i can't get myself to play any fps game unless its cs, and playing that shit in pubs is nothing but a headache. only a handful of games interest me nowadays - turn based rpg's and strategies like xcom, divinity, civilization etc. plus i love the dark souls series and of course gta5 & rdd2. i'll play some madden if i have company. the typical gimmick shit like cod, batman, etc don't do it for me anymore.

sammichoffate
11-17-2019, 06:07 AM
ya. i can't get myself to play any fps game unless its cs, and playing that shit in pubs is nothing but a headache. only a handful of games interest me nowadays - turn based rpg's and strategies like xcom, divinity, civilization etc. plus i love the dark souls series and of course gta5 & rdd2. i'll play some madden if i have company. the typical gimmick shit like cod, batman, etc don't do it for me anymore.Have you tried indie games or stuff like dmc5?

CelticBaller
11-17-2019, 07:20 AM
There

Nanners
11-17-2019, 08:10 AM
shitty film era for sure. but greatest TV era.

True Detective S1 confirmed film actors could move towards the TV sector and do well.

No doubt the film industry is going through a dark age right now, possibly the darkest period in all of film history... but my guess is that this is mainly because a huge amount of film talent has been going over to television/streaming.

Its not just the actors that have shifted to TV - directors, producers, writers, investors... the entire entertainment industry has shifted focus.

diamenz
11-17-2019, 09:20 AM
Have you tried indie games or stuff like dmc5?

good point - yeah i have played a few indie games and a lot of them r way more entertaining than the mainstream shit. i dunno shit about dmc i'll look it up.

Bimbo Coles
11-17-2019, 09:22 AM
You're doing it wrong. The problem is you, not "cinema".

Vino24
11-17-2019, 10:41 AM
Just saw Ford vs Ferrari and Doctor Sleep

I thought they were pretty good :biggums:

ROCSteady
11-17-2019, 12:27 PM
The answer is 'yes'

DonD13
11-17-2019, 12:39 PM
we live in a new golden age of cinema

but yeah, classic Hollywood is dying, they don't dare to invest unless it's a proven franchise

sammichoffate
11-17-2019, 02:23 PM
good point - yeah i have played a few indie games and a lot of them r way more entertaining than the mainstream shit. i dunno shit about dmc i'll look it up.Indie stuff usually has a lot of passion put into it, a lot of the big names these days are all cash grabs other than Nintendo. It's a hack and slash series by Capcom from back in the day. New one game out this year, it's fun af.

hold this L
11-17-2019, 09:09 PM
There’s Nolan, Tarantino, DiCaprio, Phoenix Bale etc

There’s literally great movies every year. The difference is the volume of movies increased and the ones coming out aren’t ya style

Sounds like a bunch of bitches to me. Whining over movies smh
I think there are less top tier movies being made in Hollywood though, but I agree it's not like they don't exist anymore either. The influx of comic book heroes, aka basic b*tch action movies have made it harder for movie studios to invest as much on the kind of movies Nolan, Tarantino, etc make compared to say 10-15 years ago.

Also, everybody needs to watch Parasite. That movie is ****ing money. Quick before it goes away from theaters. Will be watching the Lighthouse which I heard is really good, starring our new Bruce Wayne.

hold this L
11-17-2019, 09:13 PM
Just saw Ford vs Ferrari and Doctor Sleep

I thought they were pretty good :biggums:
Yeah I gotta watch FvF for Bale. :bowdown:

scuzzy
11-17-2019, 09:19 PM
2020 looking better than last :confusedshrug:

Dune
Bond ( Ana De Armas :pimp: )
Tenet
Top Gun
Quiet Place 2
Bad Boys 3

on deep horizon: Matrix, Sicario 3, BladeRunner

https://streamable.com/kzbjz

https://media.giphy.com/media/UTAFr2uxQYnYH3Viu8/giphy.gif

highwhey
11-17-2019, 09:23 PM

Dune
Tenet
Top Gun
Quiet Place 2
Bad Boys 3

https://media.giphy.com/media/UTAFr2uxQYnYH3Viu8/giphy.gifdamn I can't wait for Tenet :eek:

scuzzy
11-17-2019, 09:24 PM
damn I can't wait for Tenet :eek:
oh you already know :pimp:

https://media.tenor.com/images/bc53b20c98aec71d02014aab24ffcb6c/tenor.gif

egokiller
11-17-2019, 09:25 PM
It's definitely the worst generation for good quality shows that contain a good moral message or have some educational value to teach kids. This article goes into detail on it:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/21/health/sitcoms-parenting-lessons-history-of-comedy/index.html

highwhey
11-17-2019, 09:30 PM
oh you already know :pimp:

https://media.tenor.com/images/bc53b20c98aec71d02014aab24ffcb6c/tenor.gif
:lol

nathanjizzle
11-17-2019, 09:31 PM
youre what millennials call "nostalgia fa@@". The content of entertainment that is watchable today is at the highest peak its ever been, and here you are listing some original movies from the 90s expecting sequels to be good and claiming that this generation sucks for it. go take a break old timer.

scuzzy
11-17-2019, 09:43 PM
I have a feeling Dune is going to be the 2020 hit. Directed by Villeneuve, soundtrack by Zimmer.

Anything starring big dick Brolin seems to be a smash

A lot of hype behind this film. The Novel is a classic, the 80's film was underwhelming

Shogon
11-17-2019, 09:59 PM
The production value and overall appearance in your average movie today >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the production value in your average movie even from 20 years ago, never mind 30 or 40 years ago.

That being said, the movies themselves are mostly shit today... especially compared to previous eras. It's undeniable. Hollywood doesn't produce many new films that are genuinely well done with great stories any longer. There are a few ever year, but they aren't every week or two like they used to be. I mean Hollywood has dropped off HARD in terms of original content.

Hell, how many sequels do they turn out just to milk a franchise's name? It's unreal. And the new franchises that come out just suck major ass, usually.

Comedies are at an all time low. They've never been less funny. Action movies have never been worse. We've had a few bright spots, such as John Wick... but mostly complete whiffs.

It really says a lot about the state of Hollywood when the best franchise running is the MCU and even then, almost every single movie they release feels just like the previous one except with different characters. Hell, the characters themselves have even blended together in terms of personality traits, over the years. Lots of Tony Stark imitators, basically.

As for the guy saying that video games have never been better, that's also bullshit. It's the exact same thing going on in Hollywood. Yes, the GRAPHICS themselves have never been better. That's undeniable. But the game play itself is complete and utter dog shit today. Each game gets dumbed down further and further for the masses. Look at Fortnite... arguably the most popular online video game ever, and it's complete and utter trash made for completely naive children that have no idea what skill based games look like and no understanding that the outcomes they're being fed from one match to the next are damn near lottery based, lol. Such is the outcome with all battle royales.

Video games peaked in the 90s/early 2000s. Every thing since then has basically just been rehashed bullshit with massively inferior game play and way better graphics.

TV? I don't know. I will say Mr. Robot is the only show I'm aware of currently running that I have personally seen(I know there are a lot I haven't actually seen.. like a lot a lot) that I just HAVE to see. The Sopranos and Breaking Bad are by far and away my favorite two TV series ever and they were in different eras. TV probably is at an all time high both in story telling and production value. There has never been a TV era where it was high quality content all over the place... except arguably now.

Summary...

Hollywood today? Dog shit.
Video games today? Dog shit.
TV today? All time high.

LAmbruh
11-17-2019, 10:09 PM
nah Vidyas are always peaking and stay consistently at an all time high based on technical limitations and constant advancements

story
mechanics
visuals
soundtracs
AI
PvP (online)
length

todays >>>>>> yesterdays

and will continue to break barriers with every generation and so on

childhood nostalgia won't change that, neither will using a childrens game like Fortnite as an example is comparable to saying Barney reflected 90's television

Shogon
11-17-2019, 10:21 PM
nah Vidyas are always peaking and stay consistently at an all time high based on technical limitations and constant advancements

story
mechanics
visuals
soundtracs
AI
PvP (online)
length

todays >>>>>> yesterdays

childhood nostalgia won't change that, neither will using a childrens game like Fortnite as an example is comparable to saying Barney reflected 90's television

First person shooters are undeniably worse than the 90s and early 2000s and by that I mean Quake. Quake 1 and Quake3 aka QuakeLive are the pinnacle of FPS. Hell I played Quake Champions today and while it’s way prettier with more bells and whistles... the gameplay is dumbed down (not much because it is Quake after all but still).

It’s not nostalgia... John Carmack is the smartest person ever involved in the history of video games and it’s not a coincidence that when he basically stopped programming that iD started to go down hill pretty rapidly even when he was involved in other ways.

highwhey
11-17-2019, 10:22 PM

story
mechanics
visuals
soundtracs
AI
PvP (online)
length

todays >>>>>> yesterdays

childhood nostalgia won't change that, neither will using a childrens game like Fortnite as an example is comparable to saying Barney reflected 90's televisionyeah video games are insanely superior. Battlefield even incorporates bullet drop into every weapon to make them realistic. Takes skill to snipe or use a rifle at a long distance.

I haven't played many of the newer titles, but i can confidently say video games are much superior now.

LAmbruh
11-17-2019, 10:29 PM
First person shooters are undeniably worse than the 90s and early 2000s and by that I mean Quake. Quake 1 and Quake3 aka QuakeLive are the pinnacle of FPS. Hell I played Quake Champions today and while it’s way prettier with more bells and whistles... the gameplay is dumbed down (not much because it is Quake after all but still).

It’s not nostalgia... John Carmack is the smartest person ever involved in the history of video games and it’s not a coincidence that when he basically stopped programming that iD started to go down hill pretty rapidly even when he was involved in other ways.

still on this Quake shtick?

:biggums: :yaohappy:

(and I loved Quake Arena) :lol

as someone who grew up on NES/SNES:

loved Ken Griffey BBAll but it's not better than The Show

loved Super Tecmo Bowl but it's not better than modern Maddens

loved Punch Out but it's not better than Fight Night

loved Mario/Donkey Kong but it's not better than The Witcher 3/God of War/Uncharted 4/Bloodbourne

You can BREEEEEEZE through 90's games in under a couple hours, nowadays you'll be lucky to get past the tutorial and cutscenes in that timeframe.

It's not even close

LAmbruh
11-17-2019, 10:40 PM
yeah video games are insanely superior. Battlefield even incorporates bullet drop into every weapon to make them realistic. Takes skill to snipe or use a rifle at a long distance.

I haven't played many of the newer titles, but i can confidently say video games are much superior now.

The timeframe it takes to make games now is insane, up to a year just for a single level/chapter.

GTAV took 7 years to make :eek:

Some of those early Playstation games entire data could be stored on a single cosmetic skin of a modern DLC

The manpower + brainpower of todays titles >>>>>> yesteryears

1 megabite

https://i.postimg.cc/9QMwCKFX/Special-Offer-White-1-MB-1-M-Memory-Save-Saver-Card-For-Sony-Perfo.jpg

1 terabite

https://i.postimg.cc/prRYZCQ9/Sony-PS4-Pro-Replacing-The-Hard-Drive-680x356.jpg

Shogon
11-17-2019, 10:41 PM

loved Mario/Donkey Kong but it's not better than The Witcher 3/God of War/Uncharted 4/Bloodbourne

You can BREEEEEEZE through 90's games in under a couple hours, nowadays you'll be lucky to get past the tutorial and cutscenes in that timeframe.

It's not even close

You’re conflating graphics/amount of content with fun gameplay. They’re not the same thing. Not to me. Maybe to your prototypical user I guess, I don’t know.

Again... back to shooters... where are the first person shooters that offer better single player experience than Duke Nukem 3D and HalfLife 1 and 2? They don’t exist.

egokiller
11-17-2019, 10:41 PM
As for the guy saying that video games have never been better, that's also bullshit. It's the exact same thing going on in Hollywood. Yes, the GRAPHICS themselves have never been better. That's undeniable. But the game play itself is complete and utter dog shit today. Each game gets dumbed down further and further for the masses. Look at Fortnite... arguably the most popular online video game ever, and it's complete and utter trash made for completely naive children that have no idea what skill based games look like and no understanding that the outcomes they're being fed from one match to the next are damn near lottery based, lol. Such is the outcome with all battle royales.

Video games peaked in the 90s/early 2000s. Every thing since then has basically just been rehashed bullshit with massively inferior game play and way better graphics.

Would you say that this is largely due to the fact that these developers know that they can patch games after their release date or the fact that a majority of the competition you play against is such shit coddled snowflakes or both? Back in the day, what was released was the final product. It had to be correct. You couldn't just patch that shit after the fact. Back then if you didn't practice a game for hours on end, you got your fvcking ass kicked at it. Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, killer instinct you show up to an arcade and put your quarter up you better know some shit or you'll get laughed right the fvck out of the place. Show up to a game of TMNT arcade with 4 player co op arcade and drag your squad down, be ready to get your ass kicked. That's when gaming actually mattered, not this watered down shit.

These days the games are created so that you don't have to put in as much time and a majority can still do well. The skill curves are shit. Complete pussification.

FPS games now are a joke with no skill. You've got white collar workers that were born in 85 or before dominating their jobs during the day, coming home to play for an hour, and shitting on everyone and everything. Boring. They turn the shit off, yawn, and shake their head. Dominating at life making bank hoping that maybe a youngin with more time on their hands can get the better of them so that they can at least finish off the day feeling a little humbled. Unfortunately that feeling of humility never comes. Why? Because 75% the people these days are rage quitting out of games and are living in their moms basement working part time or not working. How the fvck do people get their shit pushed in when they have more time to play and have 10x the playtime as you do? It's because they have no concept of skill. Soft. Charmin. Games aren't enjoyable because the competition sucks. You shouldn't have to seek out good players, they should be rampant like they were back in the day. Shit who am I kidding, forget video games....I can't even find decent competition at real bball unless I go to a college and try to play with the intramural players there. Look outside and no one's playing outdoor ball in the summer. Why should they when they live vicariously playing NBA 2k or live? :oldlol:

Sucks that what once was a good hobby is now shit because of all the soft snowflakes that play for instant gratification and quit the moment they are losing. You pull off 4 kills using a sniper rifle that only has 4 bullets and you get messages saying you are hacking or a try hard. Bitch, I just got the game! How is going 30+ kills and less than 5 deaths when you fire up a game for the first time and don't even know the maps fun? You've already broken the skill curve and you haven't even played more than a single game because the gamers of today are just that..... fvcking....... bad. :lol

This is your gaming generation of today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4jN2NmQn9c

:roll: :roll: :roll:

LAmbruh
11-17-2019, 10:48 PM
You’re conflating graphics/amount of content with fun gameplay. They’re not the same thing. Not to me. Maybe to your prototypical user I guess, I don’t know.

Again... back to shooters... where are the first person shooters that offer better single player experience than Duke Nukem 3D and HalfLife 1 and 2? They don’t exist.

That's the thing, first person shooters are also a thing of the past

Over the shoulder 3rd person gameplay dominates now

That said, 2016 Doom also >>> 1994 Doom

Shogon
11-17-2019, 10:52 PM
EK I think you

scuzzy
what's crazy about Video games is despite the 30 year inflation, they have all typically stayed the same price throughout

consoles are about $50-$100 more, but games are still $50-$60 like they were in the 90's

controllers about $20 more, but far more sensor advanced

thank god Apple never got it's claws in the video game monarchy

Shogon
That's the thing, first person shooters are also a thing of the past

Over the shoulder 3rd person gameplay dominates now

That said, 2016 Doom also >>> 1994 Doom

Over the shoulder shooters are absolute dog shit. It

highwhey
11-17-2019, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=Shogon]You

egokiller
11-17-2019, 10:53 PM

It's not even close

Now you can because you've got online to help you through any part of the game that is hard. :lol There wasn't a single kid in the late 80s or early 90's beating Ninja Gaiden, Ghost n Goblins, Battletoads, or any other game of similar difficulty in a couple of hours. Kids played that shit for MONTHS some even YEARS before they beat those games. But at least they stuck with them and didn't quit like those of today who quit the "moment their not having fun" :lol

How many people even have the platinum trophy for Bloodborne? 95% of the people that played that shit couldn't even get past the first level without running to youtube. Amazing game once you get into it much like the GOW and witcher 3 (go collect all them gwent cards baby boi), but a metroid for NES or Ninja Gaiden for NES they will never be. I've played all that shit. I compare games to the feeling I had when I played them to the feeling I had now. Maybe my viewpoint is skewed because I know wtf it's like to wait in line to play fvcking Q-Bert at the arcade, but all this demon souls/dark souls shit is also a cake walk. A guy even beat it using a rock band guitar. Come on now.

egokiller
11-17-2019, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=Shogon]EK I think you

egokiller
11-17-2019, 10:59 PM
as someone who's played CS 1.6 and Half Life 2, I can say you're talking out of your ass.

CS 1.6 is amazing. Watch a kid try to fire that shit up and get his ass handed to him. So used to playing shit games of today with instant gratification that he won't know wtf hit him.

"No fair, these guys been playing since 2003... it will take me years playing non stop to be as good! These guys are TRY HARDS!" :oldlol:

LAmbruh
11-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Now you can because you've got online to help you through any part of the game that is hard. :lol There wasn't a single kid in the late 80s or early 90's beating Ninja Gaiden, Ghost n Goblins, Battletoads, or any other game of similar difficulty in a couple of hours. Kids played that shit for MONTHS some even YEARS before they beat those games. But at least they stuck with them and didn't quit like those of today who quit the "moment their not having fun" :lol

How many people even have the platinum trophy for Bloodborne? 95% of the people that played that shit couldn't even get past the first level without running to youtube. Amazing game once you get into it much like the GOW and witcher 3 (go collect all them gwent cards baby boi), but a metroid for NES or Ninja Gaiden for NES they will never be. I've played all that shit. I compare games to the feeling I had when I played them to the feeling I had now. Maybe my viewpoint is skewed because I know wtf it's like to wait in line to play fvcking Q-Bert at the arcade, but all this demon souls/dark souls shit is also a cake walk. A guy even beat it using a rock band guitar. Come on now.
The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was hard too

But it wasn't hard exciting because of the challenge, it was difficult because the mechanics and obstacles were trash

https://i.postimg.cc/VLRg6xq3/hqdefault.jpg

Smoke117
11-17-2019, 11:01 PM
I think there are less top tier movies being made in Hollywood though, but I agree it's not like they don't exist anymore either. The influx of comic book heroes, aka basic b*tch action movies have made it harder for movie studios to invest as much on the kind of movies Nolan, Tarantino, etc make compared to say 10-15 years ago.

Also, everybody needs to watch Parasite. That movie is ****ing money. Quick before it goes away from theaters. Will be watching the Lighthouse which I heard is really good, starring our new Bruce Wayne.

The Lighthouse is great. Saw it back on Halloween.

LAmbruh
11-17-2019, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=Shogon]Over the shoulder shooters are absolute dog shit. It

egokiller
11-17-2019, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE=Shogon]Over the shoulder shooters are absolute dog shit. It

LAmbruh
11-17-2019, 11:09 PM
There hasn't been a single FPS on console that has a decent skill curve since Halo CE. Fortnite, Apex legends, COD, Halo 5, PubG, Destiny, Gears... it's all easy instant gratification shit with no skill. Boring as shit with no desire to get better since you're literally firing this shit up on your first or 2nd play through and coming in 1st or 2nd those games.

When I played golden eye for the first time, I got my ass handed to me for weeks by those that had played the game for awhile. Same thing with halo CE. Haven't experienced that since. It's a complete joke.

"back when I was a kid it seemed tough"

"now that i'm an adult it seems easier"

https://i.postimg.cc/Bv8R2SN8/57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.jpg

egokiller
11-17-2019, 11:10 PM
The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was hard too

But it wasn't hard exciting because of the challenge, it was difficult because the mechanics and obstacles were trash

https://i.postimg.cc/VLRg6xq3/hqdefault.jpg

It was exciting because you learned how to get through that water level while still having 2 of the turtles with full health. The swimming was finicky, which made mastering it all that more gratifying. The very next stage has a full pizza so you just would grab it, then leave, switch to a different turtle, and grab it again.:lol

Now that final level.... that was a royal PITA. By the time you got to Shredder you didn't have any life left. Damn that game brings back some memories.

egokiller
11-17-2019, 11:14 PM

What I'm saying is if you take an adult that has never played an FPS or 3rd person shooter in their life, it will take much longer for them to get good at a game that came out in the early 2000 than it will any of this newer shit.

Quake, CS 1.6, Halo CE, Half life.... those games have such a higher skill curve than any of this newer shit. The games these days are dumbed down so that junior doesn't take the shit back to gamestop since he's not getting any kills. Back then, you just accepted you sucked, and kept playing it until you got good. It's a different mindset today.

highwhey
11-17-2019, 11:19 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/Bv8R2SN8/57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.jpg
:oldlol:

egokiller
11-17-2019, 11:23 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/98/98b4320a6d0c934a97236535042be786ccbec64692f38c34a8 bb1b0680f59745.jpg

andgar923
11-17-2019, 11:31 PM
with the sjw flop of feminator and other classics like ghostbusters, oceans & star wars getting raped (even video games like battlefield), along with the absence of great actors (where's the pacinos, deniros, nicholsons and hopkins of today?), this has to be the shittiest era in film history. i mean, there's some good stuff out there, but this era is just LACKING. it's pretty sad to see.
Disagree

It

egokiller
11-17-2019, 11:50 PM
[QUOTE=andgar923]Disagree

It

Shogon
11-18-2019, 12:06 AM
Which sjw feminist incels have you been talking to? Feminator and other classics like ghostbusters, and star wars automatically disqualify this as being the GOAT era for film. The majority never asked for any of this.

Terminator is going to have a 200-300 million dollar LOSS at the box office, LMAO.

Our wallets might be the only thing that ends this nonsense.

Just checked... female ghostbusters lost $125 million. LMFAO.

Celtics 1825
11-18-2019, 01:06 AM
What I'm saying is if you take an adult that has never played an FPS or 3rd person shooter in their life, it will take much longer for them to get good at a game that came out in the early 2000 than it will any of this newer shit.

Quake, CS 1.6, Halo CE, Half life.... those games have such a higher skill curve than any of this newer shit. The games these days are dumbed down so that junior doesn't take the shit back to gamestop since he's not getting any kills. Back then, you just accepted you sucked, and kept playing it until you got good. It's a different mindset today.
Try playing Dark Souls and you'll completely change your mind

egokiller
11-18-2019, 01:07 AM
Try playing Dark Souls and you'll completely change your mind

I’ve played bloodborne and demon souls and completed them 100%. Dark Souls is easier than both I’m told. I was also told that since I shitted on those games, that Sekiro may peak my interest.

MrFonzworth
11-18-2019, 01:16 AM
Video games are for sure better now than ever before. OoT was highly regarded as the GOAT game at one point. Seeing modern open world games today there really isn't a comparison.

coin24
11-18-2019, 01:20 AM
Terminator is going to have a 200-300 million dollar LOSS at the box office, LMAO.

Our wallets might be the only thing that ends this nonsense.

Just checked... female ghostbusters lost $125 million. LMFAO.

This needs to happen to Star Wars next month :cheers:

egokiller
11-18-2019, 01:21 AM
Video games are for sure better now than ever before. OoT was highly regarded as the GOAT game at one point. Seeing modern open world games today there really isn't a comparison.

In BoTW I enjoyed solving the puzzles much more than climbing mountains and towers to unlock new areas. Game was broke after farming dragon scales and selling for $$$.

MrFonzworth
11-18-2019, 01:25 AM
In BoTW I enjoyed solving the puzzles much more than climbing mountains and towers to unlock new areas. Game was broke after farming dragon scales and selling for $$$.
I've never played BotW. Haven't touched a Nintendo in years.

egokiller
11-18-2019, 01:28 AM
I've never played BotW. Haven't touched a Nintendo in years.

It had been some time since I touched one (never played Wii or Wii U) but after hearing all the fuss about botw, I had to try it. I didn

highwhey
11-18-2019, 06:09 PM
Last night's episode of Mr Robot was phenomenal. :eek:

andgar923
11-20-2019, 10:28 AM
Which sjw feminist incels have you been talking to? Feminator and other classics like ghostbusters, and star wars automatically disqualify this as being the GOAT era for film. The majority never asked for any of this.

So just because you dislike some films it automatically disqualifies it from this being the best era?

Sorry but even crappy films from today are objectively better compared to their counterparts from past eras.

As shitty as some of these films today may be, many of them still have objectively better qualities than past era's. Production quality, cinematography techniques, acting has improved on what their predecessors pioneered. And I still haven't even touched on how special effects (not the blockbuster multi million dollar ones) have transformed films.

Im normally the old geezer stating shit like "back in my day!!!".

But I sincerely try to be open and keep an open mind (even though it may not seem like it to most).

Yet objectively and subjectively speaking tv and film has improved and taken what their predecessors made to the next level.

An average actor today is better.
An average director today is better.
An average writer today is better.
An average film today is better.
An average cinematographer today is better.

They've all learned from the past and improved on it. To top it off, the audience (gulp... can't believe I'm gonna say this) has become more sophisticated in many ways as they're exposed to behind the scenes and making off films. The exposure to the creative process and advances in technology along with availability has made the entertainment industry better (well... at least film and tv). We're exposed to more today and we've built on what we've learned both as content creators and consumers (too bad it's the opposite for music).

I see YouTube videos that take inspiration from past major films and tv shows. The production values, writing, editing by some YouTubers is equivalent and at times better than a good portion of past era's major output, and NO Im not exaggerating.

As consumers we've demanded more, we've learned more, we've studied more and the entertainment industry has followed.

So yeah, there's tons and tons of crappy shit out today. But guess what? there was tons of crappier shit out back then as well, worse than today's crappy shit.

egokiller
11-20-2019, 12:18 PM
Relative to what they had to work with back then, they did much better relative to what the industry of today has to work with. Improving on something when someone else already wrote the blueprint for it and claiming that it’s some innovative idea or process (that already existed but to a lesser degree) doesn’t really impress me.

andgar923
11-20-2019, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=egokiller]Relative to what they had to work with back then, they did much better relative to what the industry of today has to work with. Improving on something when someone else already wrote the blueprint for it and claiming that it

BarberSchool
11-22-2019, 09:19 PM
Yes.
Studio owners are hiring using nepotism, not talent.
Draining the hollywood swamp of the influence of "the gay mafia" and "the russian (jewish) mafia" will be needed to make film great again.

Shogon
11-22-2019, 09:34 PM
This needs to happen to Star Wars next month :cheers:

I wouldn't bank on it... it's Disney, it's Christmas... and it's Star Wars... pretty deadly combo for the box office... no way they don't kill the $.

Andrei89
11-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Like some poster said: the volume of movie making has increased but the quality is not down.

You got Irishman, Joker, Ford v Ferrari ( pretty damn great movie), Endgame, Once upon a Time in Hollywood all come out in the same year.

Television has been great with The Crown season 3 each episode seems like a standalone great movie, The Mandalorian, Cernobyl ( oh damn) etc on TV.

I found this year to be pretty good for movies and series

hold this L
11-24-2019, 12:30 PM

Dune
Tenet
Top Gun
Quiet Place 2
Bad Boys 3

Tenet ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

hold this L
11-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Like some poster said: the volume of movie making has increased but the quality is not down.

You got Irishman, Joker, Ford v Ferrari ( pretty damn great movie), Endgame, Once upon a Time in Hollywood all come out in the same year.

Television has been great with The Crown season 3 each episode seems like a standalone great movie, The Mandalorian, Cernobyl ( oh damn) etc on TV.

I found this year to be pretty good for movies and series
Watch Parasite before it's out of theaters, one of the best movies in the last few years. It's Korean with ENG subtitles though.

Andrei89
11-24-2019, 03:48 PM

Dune
Tenet
Top Gun
Quiet Place 2
Bad Boys 3

I give you Tenet and maybe Bond. The rest though?

Better than 2019? No way. Once Upon a Time, Irishman, Ford v Ferrari, Endgame, Joker, John Wick 3 they shit on upcoming 2020 films. Hell in 2019 we were lucky to witness a top 20 movie of all time in Joker. How many times does that happEn? Once a decade?

egokiller
11-24-2019, 03:53 PM
The problem is that although there's been good films this year, overall it's watered down by all the flops like ferminator, ghostbusters reboot, and the like.

1987_Lakers
11-25-2019, 12:48 PM
It's funny that we are talking about this the same time when you have movies like The Irishman, Ford vs Ferrari, Beautiful Day, The Lighthouse, The Joker, all coming out in the last 2 months or so.

FKAri
11-25-2019, 02:31 PM
1. Due to improvements in home theatre systems, people are increasingly unlikely to watch a film in theatres unless it's a big budget special FX film.

2. The foreign market % for Hollywood films is higher than before so studios want to make films that will have a broad appeal to a non-English native speaker. Cue simpler dialogue and eye candy in your big budget special FX film.

3. Since these films are expensive to make, studios are hesitant to try something that deviates from established film making formulas

= Predictable mediocre popcorn flicks