PDA

View Full Version : NBA pace is at an all-time high,

DoctorP
11-18-2019, 11:30 AM
The pace of the game is at maybe an all-time high.

Scoring is up, defense is down. This makes for very exciting basketball. But one must remember that since pace and attempts are up, it's again going to be very difficult to compare talents between eras.

A 30 PPG scorer today is perhaps a 18-22 ppg scorer in the slower pace eras.

I don't have the advanced stats to back this up right now. I don't have the time. It does seem like common sense to me that this is the case.

I'm guessing prime scoring Kobe would have averaged around 40-42 ppg today.

red1
11-18-2019, 11:43 AM
players with a skilled hyperathletic perimeter game would definitely score more. harden is the best proof of that. he's quick and a good shooter but nothing truly special all-time for either category.

you can add AI tmac and carter as guys who would score an additional 3-5 points per season.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see kobe average something like 37 points for a season playing at today's pace.

superduper
11-18-2019, 11:46 AM
players with a skilled hyperathletic perimeter game would definitely score more. harden is the best proof of that. he's quick and a good shooter but nothing truly special all-time for either category.

you can add AI tmac and carter as guys who would score an additional 3-5 points per season.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see kobe average something like 37 points for a season playing at today's pace.

In '06 the pace was 90.5 and Kobe averaged 35.4ppg.

Now the pace is 102.

Kobe would literally average 45ppg in this clown era.

red1
11-18-2019, 11:47 AM
In '06 the pace was 90.5.

Now the pace is 102.

:oldlol: no he wouldn't. kobe was already chucking at that slow pace, there's only so many more shots you can chuck when you're already chucking.

FKAri
11-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Turns out not smoking a pack of cigarettes at half time improves player cardio!

superduper
11-18-2019, 11:53 AM
:oldlol: no he wouldn't. kobe was already chucking at that slow pace, there's only so many more shots you can chuck when you're already chucking.

With a wide open paint, zero rim protection, zero perimeter defense allowed, 4 teammates standing 25+ feet from the basket... don't kid yourself.

Hey Yo
11-18-2019, 11:59 AM

Now the pace is 102.

He avg. 27FGA. He is known to try his hardest vs lottery teams in the regular season.

Showtime80'
11-18-2019, 12:01 PM
Try again, at least 5 seasons in the 80's had higher pace than 2020 and that's without all the offensive friendly rules the NBA has put in since the mid 90's!

red1
11-18-2019, 12:02 PM
With a wide open paint, zero rim protection, zero perimeter defense allowed, 4 teammates standing 25+ feet from the basket... don't kid yourself.
the game isn't THAT different...

OP you're an embarrassment to all high-IQ raptors fans. I'm going to need you to hand in your badge before you kill yourself this year.

Xiao Yao You
11-18-2019, 12:11 PM

Scoring is up, defense is down. This makes for very exciting basketball. But one must remember that since pace and attempts are up, it's again going to be very difficult to compare talents between eras.

I don't have the advanced stats to back this up right now. I don't have the time. It does seem like common sense to me that this is the case.

and someone that dominates defensively like Gobert is even more impressive today

superduper
11-18-2019, 12:11 PM
the game isn't THAT different...

OP you're an embarrassment to all high-IQ raptors fans. I'm going to need you to hand in your badge before you kill yourself this year.

:biggums: :coleman:

superduper
11-18-2019, 12:12 PM
and someone that dominates defensively like Gobert is even more impressive today

He would be less impressive in the 80s/90s because there were so many more legit rim protectors than in this era.

red1
11-18-2019, 12:17 PM
:biggums: :coleman:
I'm absolutely correct about that. I think it's reasonable to assume that 06 kobe could average close to 40 but to say that he would do it for sure, and then say he'd average 45 points - you might actually be retarded.

You're acting like kobe was deprived chucking opportunities during his career. :oldlol:

Xiao Yao You
11-18-2019, 12:25 PM
He would be less impressive in the 80s/90s because there were so many more legit rim protectors than in this era.

not sure all of them would be as impressive having to guard out to the 3 point line today though. Robinson and Hakeem I can see. Ewing and Mutumbo not so much. Mark Eaton lol!

superduper
11-18-2019, 12:26 PM
I'm absolutely correct about that. I think it's reasonable to assume that 06 kobe could average close to 40 but to say that he would do it for sure, and then say he'd average 45 points - you might actually be retarded.

You're acting like kobe was deprived chucking opportunities during his career. :oldlol:

45's a stretch I think it'd be like 42-43. A Kobe vs Harden game would be funny as hell to watch :oldlol:

red1
11-18-2019, 12:28 PM
45's a stretch I think it'd be like 42-43. A Kobe vs Harden game would be funny as hell to watch :oldlol:
I'll give you 40 points as a season average tops.

kobe would shit on harden in a playoff series.

hiphopanonymous
11-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Turns out not smoking a pack of cigarettes at half time improves player cardio!
Players today smoke weed and vape constantly. Still go out and drink, and now have access to more junk food than ever. They grew up on a diet of 7 up and fruity pebbles. They

DoctorP
11-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Try again, at least 5 seasons in the 80's had higher pace than 2020 and that's without all the offensive friendly rules the NBA has put in since the mid 90's!

nice. where are you getting your research? 80's defense was mad overrated. wasn't till the Pistons changed everything that defense began to be emphasized.

egokiller
11-18-2019, 12:30 PM

The NBA has done a horrible job at understanding their own market and customer base. When MJ retired ratings dropped drastically. They fvcking went into full panic mode because they weren't prepared for it. Fast forward to today and they think that their customer base wants to just see all-star style games where no defense is allowed. Eventually regular season games will be worse than the defense played in the all-star game. They have no clue and no idea how to gather customer feedback.

Shogon
11-18-2019, 12:31 PM

Now the pace is 102.

If pace is your argument as to why he'd score 45ppg, you are REALLY bad at math. Then again, I already knew that. You're excessively stupid. :\

Only accounting for league pace in comparison to the league's old pace versus his old ppg, he would score 39.89 ppg, not 45.

superduper
11-18-2019, 12:35 PM
If pace is your argument as to why he'd score 45ppg, you are REALLY bad at math. Then again, I already knew that. You're excessively stupid. :\

Only accounting for league pace in comparison to the league's old pace versus his old ppg, he would score 39.89 ppg, not 45.

I can feel the anguish in your wording, god damn I must trigger you deeply :roll:

It's called exaggerating kid.

DoctorP
11-18-2019, 12:35 PM
The NBA has done a horrible job at understanding their own market and customer base. When MJ retired ratings dropped drastically. They fvcking went into full panic mode because they weren't prepared for it. Fast forward to today and they think that their customer base wants to just see all-star style games where no defense is allowed. Eventually regular season games will be worse than the defense played in the all-star game. They have no clue and no idea how to gather customer feedback.

NBA: "so tell us what you think?"
Fan:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IllinformedShrillAsianpiedstarling-max-1mb.gif

egokiller
11-18-2019, 12:36 PM

90.5 / 35.4 = 2.556497

102 / 2.556497 = 39.89

Good to go. It checks out.

Carry on boys! :oldlol:

Shogon
11-18-2019, 12:37 PM
I can feel the anguish in your wording, god damn I must trigger you deeply :roll:

No, you're just really stupid. And you say so many incredibly stupid and incorrect things with all of the hubris in the world.

Your level of self awareness is somewhere deep beneath the cellar.

bigkingsfan
11-18-2019, 12:39 PM
Lower minutes.
Harden 37, Kobe 41.

egokiller
11-18-2019, 12:39 PM
No, you're just really stupid. And you say so many incredibly stupid and incorrect things with all of the hubris in the world.

I'm going to have to disagree and say that such an individual would have to think Lebron > MJ to be that low. superduper actually understands that MJ > LeBron.

DoctorP
11-18-2019, 12:41 PM
meanwhile, more NBA feedback:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/121iG0YITNozFm/giphy.gif

superduper
11-18-2019, 12:47 PM

You think you're an intellectual on a retarded basketball forum.

Great for you, you know how to divide :oldlol:

DoctorP
11-18-2019, 12:48 PM

:lol

DoctorP
11-18-2019, 01:15 PM
:lol

Sports are pretty silly overall. Why is everyone so mad all the time, arguing nonsense? fukking, fighting , it's all the same. To live with Louie dog is the only way to stay sane.

DoctorP
11-18-2019, 01:16 PM
most basketball players make four or five out of every ten two point shots

and most basketball players make 3 or four out of ten three point shots

the miniscule differences make for so much ridiculous debate, it's so silly

DoctorP
11-18-2019, 01:17 PM
yeah and whos dick is bigger? and whos the best? and...

ughh who cares.

red1
11-18-2019, 01:18 PM

:roll: :roll:

DoctorP
11-18-2019, 01:18 PM
i just want to know who the worst players of all time are.

who are the worst players every year and who were the decades worst players since the golden age??

nobody knows that shit

Shogon
11-18-2019, 01:57 PM

Great for you, you don't know how to divide or multiply or basically do anything that requires above a 1st grade education.

DoctorP
11-18-2019, 01:58 PM
I've been here way too long.

Smook A.
11-18-2019, 02:06 PM

Now the pace is 102.

It's called exaggerating kid.

Great for you, you don't know how to divide or multiply or basically do anything that requires above a 1st grade education.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/UlqLDtI8Qc0j6/giphy.gif