PDA

View Full Version : Just how good was Craig Ehlo?

Vino24
11-19-2019, 03:34 PM
Anybody know?

superduper
11-19-2019, 03:35 PM
How many of these threads before these fa66ots get ban

elementally morale
11-19-2019, 03:36 PM
Your Mom said he was great. Not better than me but much better than you.

SpaceJam2
11-19-2019, 03:36 PM
He was MJs primary defender

Tough era I heard

Him, Starks, and Jeff Hornacek :lol

LAmbruh
11-19-2019, 03:38 PM
not quite as complimentary as Jeff "The Beast" Hornacek

great organic footwork and 2nd quarter clutch hereditary

keep-itreal
11-19-2019, 03:38 PM

Tough era I heard

:roll:

Vino24
11-19-2019, 03:39 PM

Tough era I heard

Thank you for an answer. The previous two posters seem pissed :confusedshrug:

Manny98
11-19-2019, 03:40 PM
Your Mom said he was great. Not better than me but much better than you.
Poor elementally melting in every thread i go into :roll: :roll:

AirBonner
11-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Top 5 NBA defender in the 90

tontoz
11-19-2019, 04:04 PM
He was just ok, a good backup but below average starter. That is probably why he came off the bench most of the time.

Good size for a 2, decent 3 pt shooter. He took a lot of 3s for that era. Defense maybe a little better than average but nothing noteworthy.

Never close to making an All-Star game.

Bronbron23
11-19-2019, 05:16 PM
Anybody know?
He's basically Gordon Hayward. Similar size and athleticism. Hayward seems better just because of the era and the rules. It's the same as Kerr and JJ red. Same player but one guy is role player and the other is mid level star.

tontoz
11-19-2019, 05:23 PM
He's basically Gordon Hayward. Similar size and athleticism. Hayward seems better just because of the era and the rules. It's the same as Kerr and JJ red. Same player but one guy is role player and the other is mid level star.

Roughly the same height, white and can shoot 3s. Other than that completely different.

Hayward is much more skilled and athletic. Ehlo wasn't much off the dribble. His career year he averaged only 13.6 ppg.

3ball
11-19-2019, 05:48 PM
Poor man's Klay Thompson

But he was a bench player in 1989 when the Cavs had the #1 SRS and got beat by the Bulls' #10 SRS

Ron Harper was the starter at 38 mpg (20/4/4 on 57% against MJ in that series), while Ehlo played 25 mpg (12/1/3 on 44%)

egokiller
11-19-2019, 06:25 PM
I remember when people said Ehlo was our MJ stopper because he had the best chance of keeping MJ to less than 30 ppg in the playoffs. MJ went for 40ppg in the 89 playoffs against us and quieted our Cleveland crowd.

3ball
11-19-2019, 07:19 PM
I remember when people said Ehlo was our MJ stopper because he had the best chance of keeping MJ to less than 30 ppg in the playoffs. MJ went for 40ppg in the 89 playoffs against us and quieted our Cleveland crowd.
Ehlo was never called the Jordan stopper

Why would he have a better chance of holding down MJ than Ron Harper

Oh I get it nevermind (ur trolling)

Trollsmasher
11-19-2019, 07:21 PM
when I see this body, I see a perfect defender
https://amicohoops.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/ehlocavs4343-e1496243838395.jpg

Turbo Slayer
11-19-2019, 07:23 PM
Ehlo was never called the Jordan stopper

Why would he have a better chance of holding down MJ than Ron Harper

Oh I get it nevermind (ur trolling)
What's up fool? :rockon: :rant

remember that poll when I tried to ban your ass?

:yaohappy:

Good times!

Bronbron23
11-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Roughly the same height, white and can shoot 3s. Other than that completely different.

Hayward is much more skilled and athletic. Ehlo wasn't much off the dribble. His career year he averaged only 13.6 ppg.
I disagree. Hayward isn't that skilled or athletic. He's just in an era that Caters to perimeter players. If the rules were like this in the 90' he could easily put up Hayward numbers

bison
11-19-2019, 08:02 PM
ehlo would avg 38/11 in today's fast pace watered down league

tontoz
11-19-2019, 08:25 PM
I disagree. Hayward isn't that skilled or athletic. He's just in an era that Caters to perimeter players. If the rules were like this in the 90' he could easily put up Hayward numbers

Nonsense. Hayward was an All-Star in the loaded west and he was on his way to make it this year before the injury. He still might.

Ehlo never sniffed an All-Star game. He had a slow release on his shot which limited him to open catch and shoot looks. He just wasn't that good which is why he played off the bench most of the time.

I was living in Atlanta when he played with the Hawks. I know his game. Hayward is easily more athletic than Ehlo.

andgar923
11-19-2019, 08:54 PM
Ehlo was a good defender.

All time great? No
All Defensive caliber? No

But he was tough, smart, knew angles and how to use his body and was supported by big men in the middle.

People continuously fail to understand that 'defence' isn't solely dependent on athleticism. Some of the best defenders of all time weren't great athletes. They weren't the fastest, jump the highest, the strongest, the tallest, etc.

The best defenders played hard, were tough, knew angles and simply wanted to play hard.

This is a 'troll' thread but people still need to understand context and myths have to be debunked.

Let's be real here... although not explicitly stated, this thread is meant to diminish MJ. MJ made every defender look foolish and weak. And plain and simple, MJ was usually defended by 2 or 3 defenders every chance the defense got and that's how the Cavs and every team usually defended him.

What Ehlo did was cut off angles, ball denial and force MJ to spots where the help is and would be. The same way Battier, Bowen, GP, Beverly, Kidd and every other defender did. MJ was simply too good for anyone regardless of how athletic or how great of an individual defender they were.

Bronbron23
11-19-2019, 09:02 PM
Nonsense. Hayward was an All-Star in the loaded west and he was on his way to make it this year before the injury. He still might.

Ehlo never sniffed an All-Star game. He had a slow release on his shot which limited him to open catch and shoot looks. He just wasn't that good which is why he played off the bench most of the time.

I was living in Atlanta when he played with the Hawks. I know his game. Hayward is easily more athletic than Ehlo.
You must of not been watching very close because there's no difference between ehlos release and Haywards. Ehlo's release is actually probably a little faster. Hayward is a little more athletic though I will concede that. Overall though there's not much difference between the two.

andgar923
11-19-2019, 09:08 PM

Ehlo was never athletic, but he was good at sliding his feet and anticipating. He had good timing and had a high IQ so he knew when and where to move and used his body to reroute offensive players into the help.

Ehlo wasn't athletic but knew how to use his body offensively, moreover his release wasn't as slow as you make it out to be (the Hawks? he was older). He was however good at coming off screens, playing off the ball and using angles to cut off defenders for quick drives or pull-ups and could shoot.

He wasn't all star caliber but he was a very dependent and capable player that was a great addition to any team. Which is obvious by seeing how he lasted in the league for so long.

It's a joke to also attempt to diminish someone because they're white when one of the best players today is a slow white dude from Europe.

SpaceJam2
11-19-2019, 09:17 PM
Thank you for an answer. The previous two posters seem pissed :confusedshrug:

You're welcome brother.

Just some shook azz hoes

SpaceJam2
11-19-2019, 09:18 PM
when I see this body, I see a perfect defender
https://amicohoops.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/ehlocavs4343-e1496243838395.jpg

MJ.Era Andre Igoudala

tontoz
11-19-2019, 09:24 PM
You must of not been watching very close because there's no difference between ehlos release and Haywards. Ehlo's release is actually probably a little faster. Hayward is a little more athletic though I will concede that. Overall though there's not much difference between the two.

Sure no difference, other than one being an All-Star and the other being a bench player. :rolleyes:

In his prime at age 27 he played all 82 games but started only 4. He was playing behind Ron Harper who never made an All-Star game either.

Ehlo averaged double figures for the first time at age 28. For his career he averaged 8.6 ppg. Hayward averaged 22 before going to Boston and getting hurt. Playing in this era isn't going to turn an 8.6 ppg player into a 15 ppg player.

andgar923
11-19-2019, 09:25 PM
MJ.Era Andre Igoudala
Clearly missed Wilkins and Harper being the primary defenders on MJ on the Cavs. Both could take off from the FT line and were great defenders in any era. Let alone they were allowed to play defends and be physical, unlike Iggy.

Duncan21formvp
11-19-2019, 09:54 PM
Better than JJ Barea and Deshawn Stevenson guys who locked up Lebron.

Lebron23
05-21-2020, 03:39 PM
He was just ok, a good backup but below average starter. That is probably why he came off the bench most of the time.

Good size for a 2, decent 3 pt shooter. He took a lot of 3s for that era. Defense maybe a little better than average but nothing noteworthy.

Never close to making an All-Star game.

He was a terrible defender. Just watched Jordan vs 1990's defense. MJ was running circles around him. And that 1992 Cavaliers didn't even double or triple team MJ. And force Jordan to take an outside shots.