PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Lists will soon be purely generational

StrongLurk
11-21-2019, 10:41 AM
I mean, we are pretty much there already...but another 10-15 years and there will have been so many good players that top 10 lists will basically be "who I liked the most when I watched basketball".

I can easily see any guys before the 90s instantly eliminated from top 10 lists because "no one saw them play".

The only guy who will always be there is MJ.

You'll see top 10 lists with MJ, Kobe, AI, Lebron, Curry, Durant, Giannis, Luka, etc. Shaq will probably stay because of his recent enough dominance and he is HUGE in the sports media and media in general.

Bird will just be a non-explosive white guy from the 80's and Magic is already just a MEME among the young kids.

No one cares about Duncan or Olajawon, and people will write-off Russell and Wilt entirely.

This cycle will never stop, and all the people who used to be young stans (i.e Kobe from 15 years ago and Lebron stans) will get older and shit on the new generation just like MJ stans did. They will be one in the same ironically.

BANE?
11-21-2019, 10:51 AM
Guys like MJ, Magic, Kareem, and Lebron will certainly not disappear from future top ten lists. It

FKAri
11-21-2019, 10:51 AM
As long as they keep wheeling out Bill Russell to hand out FMVPs for exposure, he'll retain his spot on the list as well.

Kingwillball
11-21-2019, 10:53 AM
Op has babe Ruth Name disappeared from goat discussion in baseball? Or joe Louis or Muhammad Ali in boxing ? No, the greats are that for a reason.

StrongLurk
11-21-2019, 11:13 AM
Op has babe Ruth Name disappeared from goat discussion in baseball? Or joe Louis or Muhammad Ali in boxing ? No, the greats are that for a reason.

That's like saying has MJ disappeared? And I said in the OP that he would stay.

Plus you can't compare different sports and the fan base "cultures" that go along with them.

I can't tell you the huge amount of people who think AI is a top 5-10 player of all time...TONS of people think that and it's because there are a TON of casual basketball fans.

AI had the swag and culture and scored a lot (doesn't need to be efficient for casuals).

A guy like Curry is so obviously better than AI...but due to the "culture" of a lot of NBA fans...AI will be chosen more often than Curry.

Magic is considered a fukin.g meme at this point and a "goofy" media personality among younger people BEFORE being a great basketball player.

Hell, Tim Duncan is literally never talked about by anyone.

The casual masses lean toward flashy perimeter players.

Lebron23
11-21-2019, 11:15 AM
LeBron with 5th mvp, and 4th finals mvp. He will be the consensus 2nd greatest player of all time

scuzzy
11-21-2019, 11:16 AM
As long as they keep wheeling out Bill Russell to hand out FMVPs for exposure, he'll retain his spot on the list as well.
Bill absolutely dreads the Finals, especially if it extends to game 7

Those 5 hour flights from East to West coast are bad for his calcium

StrongLurk
11-21-2019, 11:25 AM
LeBron with 5th mvp, and 4th finals mvp. He will be the consensus 2nd greatest player of all time

True, but neither of those will happen. Realistically, his greatest Legacy bump left is becoming the all time leading scorer.

He has A LOT left to go on that front considering age/injury possibility...but it would be crazy to see him play 20 seasons and possibly score 40,000 points.

PP34Deuce
11-21-2019, 11:45 AM
I'd say MJ, Magic, Bird, Lebron, Shaq, Kobe, Kareem (due to crazy stats and 6 rings), will not be forgotten.

Tim Duncan may not be a sexy choice but most people will have him in that top 10 as well as Hakeem. Dr. J had a game that was ahead of its time. He's still going to be remembered.

The issue will be for the players in the all time 30-50 range. People like Paul pierce and Tracy Mcgrady will face their impact being minimized all time. James Harden and even potential HOF guys like Luka will be a problem for the Vince Carter, Paul Pierce's of the world.

KD will be a top 20 guy with a peak of top 10. Kawhi needs like 2-3 more years of great play to be remembered and become a top 25 all time.

superduper
11-21-2019, 11:45 AM
Bran will be forgotten in like 3 years.

He's already an afterthought to Luka and dude is still in the league...

PP34Deuce
11-21-2019, 11:49 AM
Bran will be forgotten in like 3 years.

He's already an afterthought to Luka and dude is still in the league...

lol

SouBeachTalents
11-21-2019, 03:41 PM

Plus you can't compare different sports and the fan base "cultures" that go along with them.

I can't tell you the huge amount of people who think AI is a top 5-10 player of all time...TONS of people think that and it's because there are a TON of casual basketball fans.

AI had the swag and culture and scored a lot (doesn't need to be efficient for casuals).

A guy like Curry is so obviously better than AI...but due to the "culture" of a lot of NBA fans...AI will be chosen more often than Curry.

Magic is considered a fukin.g meme at this point and a "goofy" media personality among younger people BEFORE being a great basketball player.

Can you show me even 2-3 rankings that have Iverson in the top 10?

Hey Yo
11-21-2019, 03:50 PM

At shooting 3's

SouBeachTalents
11-21-2019, 03:54 PM
At shooting 3's
You seriously dispute Curry's a better player than Iverson?

RRR3
11-21-2019, 03:56 PM
At shooting 3's
Stop posting.

Hey Yo
11-21-2019, 03:59 PM
You seriously dispute Curry's a better player than Iverson?
If I need a 3, I'd take Curry.

If I need a 2, take AI. He'd get his hands dirty if need be to try to get that 2, Curry would either pass or dribble back out to the 3pt line and shoot the 3.

LostCause
11-21-2019, 04:32 PM
If I need a 3, I'd take Curry.

If I need a 2, take AI. He'd get his hands dirty if need be to try to get that 2, Curry would either pass or dribble back out to the 3pt line and shoot the 3.

This is a very "safe" answer that doesn't really answer anything. So how about this

You're down 1 point. So either a 2 or a 3 will win the game. Who do you want taking the last shot. Curry shooting a 3 (or 2) or Iverson shooting a 2 (or 3)?

Hey Yo
11-21-2019, 04:48 PM
This is a very "safe" answer that doesn't really answer anything. So how about this

You're down 1 point. So either a 2 or a 3 will win the game. Who do you want taking the last shot. Curry shooting a 3 (or 2) or Iverson shooting a 2 (or 3)?
Curry's going to be hovering around the 3pt line with heavy coverage. He's not even going to attempt to come into long 2 range or closer cause he doesn't have the confidence.

AI is going to see coverage, but even at his height, he's going to get his shot off from just about anywhere inside the arc. He made a living out of being the underdog short guy inside the arc and paint against guys much taller than him. Like I said, he was never afraid to mix it up inside the arc to where Curry is seen to be very timid to shoot from anywhere inside the arc.

I'll take the guy who has more confidence in his shot.

StrongLurk
11-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Curry's going to be hovering around the 3pt line with heavy coverage. He's not even going to attempt to come into long 2 range or closer cause he doesn't have the confidence.

AI is going to see coverage, but even at his height, he's going to get his shot off from just about anywhere inside the arc. He made a living out of being the underdog short guy inside the arc and paint against guys much taller than him. Like I said, he was never afraid to mix it up inside the arc to where Curry is seen to be very timid to shoot from anywhere inside the arc.

I'll take the guy who has more confidence in his shot.

You are retarded. Curry is more efficient than AI from ALL parts of the court.

At the rim, paint, midrange, free throws, 3's...EVERYWHERE.

I just don't know why posters try to talk about things they don't know about.

Hey Yo
11-21-2019, 05:31 PM
You are retarded. Curry is more efficient than AI from ALL parts of the court.

At the rim, paint, midrange, free throws, 3's...EVERYWHERE.

I just don't know why posters try to talk about things they don't know about.
I don't why you ignore that if it's not at the rim or a 3....... Curry barely takes the shot.

Last 4 seasons, the percentage of Curry's FGA from mid-range are
5%
5%
7%
4%
For his career it's 7%. Not even close to enough mid-range attempts to be compared with others.

Kiddlovesnets
11-21-2019, 06:23 PM
This is why only experts from major media