PDA

View Full Version : Even Ric Bucher has seen through the modern NBA's sham

Showtime80'
11-22-2019, 08:55 PM
In light of the reports of the NBA plummeting ratings it's interesting to finally start listening to people that have worked with the NBA for years calling this modern sh!t that the league is throwing out as a "sport" for what it really is, a rule enhanced manufactured farce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQmfuVRBP50

"It feels as if the NBA is losing site of the importance of the GAME ITSELF, it feels as if the game is being TRICKED UP in a multiple of ways. I gotta tell you, this straight line shooting 50 3's a game for people that have been watching basketball for a long time, IT'S BOOOOOOOORINGGGGG!!!"

LOL!!!!! I feel like I should get royalties off of those comments!!!

It's been the same thing since MJ retried in 1998 with the league desperately trying to change its rules to enhance this dumbed down generation of AAU infested knuckle heads, that's why Kobe, T-Mac, Dumbrook, LeBald, Harden, Curry, Durant and the likes are all MANUFACTURED ILLUSIONS propped up by the league in the attempt to keep selling their crappy brand around the world. After 2005 it became official, NO DEFENSE IS ALLOWED IN THE NBA, perimeter players take over! This is the NBA LeBron has "dominated"?!?! PATHETIC!

Like Whitlock said physicality brought about the most diverse and creative scorers in league history in the 80's and early 90's, you not only needed athleticism, you needed brains and a total dominance of basketball fundamentals to succeed in that NBA as well as balls of steel if you were going to drive down the lane on a consistent basis. That's why MJ ruled supreme.

Bob Costas predicted this sideshow more than 20 years ago after the Bulls won their last title in 1998:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToEH_5OzUcE

The Golden Era of the NBA has come and gone my analytically fixated geeks, you're watching a watered down imitation. Enjoy!

DoctorP
11-22-2019, 09:07 PM
things change.

The world cup showing for USA was not so good :lol

No Sir
11-22-2019, 09:13 PM
tl;dr

https://cdn1.thecomeback.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/94/2017/06/old-man-yells-at-cloud.jpg

3ball
11-22-2019, 09:41 PM
In light of the reports of the NBA plummeting ratings it's interesting to finally start listening to people that have worked with the NBA for years calling this modern sh!t that the league is throwing out as a "sport" for what it really is, a rule enhanced manufactured farce:

"It feels as if the NBA is losing site of the importance of the GAME ITSELF, it feels as if the game is being TRICKED UP in a multiple of ways. I gotta tell you, this straight line shooting 50 3's a game for people that have been watching basketball for a long time, IT'S BOOOOOOOORINGGGGG!!!"

It's been the same thing since MJ retried in 1998 with the league desperately trying to change its rules to enhance this dumbed down generation of AAU infested knuckle heads, that's why Kobe, T-Mac, Dumbrook, LeBald, Harden, Curry, Durant and the likes are all MANUFACTURED ILLUSIONS propped up by the league in the attempt to keep selling their crappy brand around the world. After 2005 it became official, NO DEFENSE IS ALLOWED IN THE NBA, perimeter players take over! This is the NBA LeBron has "dominated"?!?! PATHETIC!

Like Whitlock said physicality brought about the most diverse and creative scorers in league history in the 80's and early 90's, you not only needed athleticism, you needed brains and a total dominance of basketball fundamentals to succeed in that NBA as well as balls of steel if you were going to drive down the lane on a consistent basis. That's why MJ ruled supreme.

Bob Costas predicted this sideshow more than 20 years ago after the Bulls won their last title in 1998:

The Golden Era of the NBA has come and gone my analytically fixated geeks, you're watching a watered down imitation. Enjoy!
Spot on

For people that watched basketball for a long time - this isn't basketball and is super-boring

And I can destroy any poster on this site in basketball, so it's not like I'm some dummy about the game

egokiller
11-22-2019, 09:49 PM
The game of today is a shell of it's former self.

BarberSchool
11-22-2019, 10:06 PM
Truth.

Showtime80'
11-22-2019, 11:29 PM
Honestly the NBA should just go all in and have Vince McMahon as the next commissioner, he would be more entertaining to watch than these boring games.

Lebron23
11-23-2019, 03:14 AM

Drinking too much Coffee Grandpa. Go to bed.

ShawkFactory
11-23-2019, 03:27 AM

I agree. But how to we change it? Get rid of the 3 point line? Create an actual salary cap?

Dudes aren’t less talented now. That shit is for certain.

The NFL ebbs and flows but the NBA can’t seem to. What’s your solution?

sportjames23
11-23-2019, 03:36 AM

Real talk. :cheers:

MaxPlayer
11-23-2019, 04:36 AM
Back in mah day...

NBAGOAT
11-23-2019, 04:46 AM
[QUOTE=ShawkFactory]I agree. But how to we change it? Get rid of the 3 point line? Create an actual salary cap?

Dudes aren

Marchesk
11-23-2019, 05:56 AM
Back in mah day...

You didn't have a guy dribbling down the shot clock while the other four players stand around the three point line waiting for him to take a three, drive for a foul, or kick it out to them.

And you didn't have players taking threes for the last shot when it's tied or down by one with time on the clock to do something but chuck one up from distance.

Phoenix
11-23-2019, 07:58 AM
I agree. But how to we change it? Get rid of the 3 point line? Create an actual salary cap?

Dudes aren’t less talented now. That shit is for certain.

The NFL ebbs and flows but the NBA can’t seem to. What’s your solution?

I would maybe look at pre 2004 defensive rules, and try to get a little more physical defence back into the game.

Reverse the 14 second offensive rebound rule and increase the shot clock. 28 seconds?

I would also look at instituting some kind of 'perimeter possession' rule so that one player can't hold or pound the rock for the duration of the shot clock and stall the game. Similar to the back to the basket rule back in the 90s where Barkley would get the ball 15 feet out and methodically back his way down until he was under the rim. Don't know how feasible in terms of officiating.

Cap the number of 3s per game. Don't know how else you're going to reduce the reliance on that shot otherwise beyond getting rid of it entirely or extending the line out, which will also extend out already compromised defenses.

If today's players are 'more talented than ever' as I commonly hear then their modern skill sets should be able to handle more physical defense.

Manny98
11-23-2019, 08:05 AM
tl;dr

https://cdn1.thecomeback.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/94/2017/06/old-man-yells-at-cloud.jpg
This :lol

ShawkFactory
11-23-2019, 10:15 AM
half disagree. dont nearly enjoy the nfl as much as I did like 5 years ago.
The rule changes have certainly made it tougher on defenders. Mainly pass rushers. But 5 years ago the nfl was a borderline spread offense fvck-fest. Like 6 guys threw for 5000 yards or close to it.

Defenses have caught up a bit.

Hey Yo
11-23-2019, 10:40 AM
You didn't have a guy dribbling down the shot clock while the other four players stand around the three point line waiting for him to take a three, drive for a foul, or kick it out to them.

And you didn't have players taking threes for the last shot when it's tied or down by one with time on the clock to do something but chuck one up from distance.
Magic made a career out of it.

Back his man down for 20 seconds, go for the easy layup, wait for a cutter or get it to Kareem.... all while Scott and Cooper waited at the 3pt line.

STATUTORY
11-23-2019, 10:49 AM
the product is absolute trash, and discerning Americans are turning the channel. but third world plebs will continue to watch cause they got no taste so the league will continue to tread water financially

SouBeachTalents
11-23-2019, 10:49 AM
The rule changes have certainly made it tougher on defenders. Mainly pass rushers. But 5 years ago the nfl was a borderline spread offense fvck-fest. Like 6 guys threw for 5000 yards or close to it.

Defenses have caught up a bit.
The early 2010's was when the rules just broke the league. It reminded me of the current NBA, almost every game broke out into a QB shoot out, and it became extremely redundant to watch. Just look at the list for most passing yards in a season, shit looks like the steroid era for baseball

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_single_season.htm

While you're right, defenses have been able to somewhat catch up, there's still a lot of flaws with the game; QB's can't be touched, every big hit gets flagged, and kick returns have been eliminated. The NFL to me truly peaked from around late 90's through the end of the 2000's

Da_Realist
11-23-2019, 11:12 AM
MJ made basketball cool to the casual fan. Attendance and ratings skyrocketed. Money was flowing in hand over fist. The problem is the casual fan never actually cared about basketball. The NBA linked itself to these casual fans and began to do anything to keep their love to the detriment of the quality of sport. The casual fan cares about legacy and witnessing history more than the game. Casual fans understanding of basketball is a mile wide and an inch deep.

The league started catering to these fans because of the money but lost it's soul in the process. The fans only cared about who is GOAT and only concerned themselves with stats and number of championships. Context has no significance to fans that only care about narratives.

The league and the media noticed the fans didn't care about rule changes that significantly dumbed down the game and made it easier for players to get stats because this is what truly interested the fans and sparked the daily water cooler talk. In fact, these fans cared about nothing but legacy so the league/media saw that it's ok, for instance, to make it an annual thing to keep propping LeBron up with sufficient talent to challenge for a championship in order to keep drawing water from that GOAT well.

No one cared that the game is trash, only 2 or 3 teams have a shot at winning. No one mourned the loss of natural team rivalries like 90's Bulls Pistons and Knicks Pacers or 00's Lakers Spurs that came out of nowhere and was established in real time by the players themselves. How can team rivalries be established now when your best players go from team to team looking for legacy points? LeBron's on his fourth team, Durant and Kawhi now are on their 3rd.

The league is trash. 2 or 3 teams are hogging all the good players. Only one game a week is worth watching. Now even the casual fans have tuned out. The NBA made a deal with the devil and now has come to collect.

Hey Yo
11-23-2019, 11:54 AM
MJ made basketball cool to the casual fan. Attendance and ratings skyrocketed. Money was flowing in hand over fist. The problem is the casual fan never actually cared about basketball. The NBA linked itself to these casual fans and began to do anything to keep their love to the detriment of the quality of sport. The casual fan cares about legacy and witnessing history more than the game. Casual fans understanding of basketball is a mile wide and an inch deep.

The league started catering to these fans because of the money but lost it's soul in the process. The fans only cared about who is GOAT and only concerned themselves with stats and number of championships. Context has no significance to fans that only care about narratives.

The league and the media noticed the fans didn't care about rule changes that significantly dumbed down the game and made it easier for players to get stats because this is what truly interested the fans and sparked the daily water cooler talk. In fact, these fans cared about nothing but legacy so the league/media saw that it's ok, for instance, to make it an annual thing to keep propping LeBron up with sufficient talent to challenge for a championship in order to keep drawing water from that GOAT well.

No one cared that the game is trash, only 2 or 3 teams have a shot at winning. No one mourned the loss of natural team rivalries like 90's Bulls Pistons and Knicks Pacers or 00's Lakers Spurs that came out of nowhere and was established in real time by the players themselves. How can team rivalries be established now when your best players go from team to team looking for legacy points? LeBron's on his fourth team, Durant and Kawhi now are on their 3rd.

The league is trash. 2 or 3 teams are hogging all the good players. Only one game a week is worth watching. Now even the casual fans have tuned out. The NBA made a deal with the devil and now has come to collect.
You mean like moving in the 3pt line cause nobody could shoot further than 20ft and people also got tired of watching the 74-68 snooze fests all the time?

We already know why ratings are down. It was the same as last year.... LeBron's in the West. The league even said that was the reason and that's why they moved LA tip-off times earlier. People want to see LeBron.

LostCause
11-23-2019, 12:05 PM
You mean like moving in the 3pt line cause nobody could shoot further than 20ft and people also got tired of watching the 74-68 snooze fests all the time?

We already know why ratings are down. It was the same as last year.... LeBron's in the West. The league even said that was the reason and that's why they moved LA tip-off times earlier. People want to see LeBron.

LeBron is obviously a huge factor in ratings but that doesn't say anything about the actual product on the floor. Very few actually enjoy the way the game is played in its current form. I really don't see it getting as bad as it is currently, so chances are when LeBron does retire things will start going the other way (As far as rules) and defense will be impactful again

MaxPlayer
11-23-2019, 12:28 PM
IMO the biggest problem with the NBA is largely structural rather than stylistic. I get that people miss the hard-nosed defensive era, and I do to an extent, but I also enjoy that scorers are given more latitude to be creative and do their thing. There's both pros and cons.

The much larger issue, for me, is the meaninglessness of the regular season. It just feels like so many exhibition games. It's very rare that a team that seems like it would have a chance to contend for a title fails to make the playoffs, and it doesn't seem very difficult for a good team to win a series without having home-court advantage, so what exactly are the stakes?

Bosnian Sajo
11-23-2019, 01:00 PM
Honestly it's not even that bad, you guys are being extremely dramatic.

sammichoffate
11-23-2019, 01:26 PM
There's a couple of issues here:

-Three Point Shot Spamming and homogenizing teams so everyone is the same
-Lack of Defense Allowed
-Huge amount of Player movement every few years
-League is more player-based now, so everyone is buddies with each other even if you punched them in the playoffs last year
-No interesting stars, save for a few. Say something on your mind and you risk losing a ****ton of $$$
-Media talks about offseason while season is going, making it seem irrelevant on who gets to the playoffs, gets awards, etc.
-Taking games off while you're in your prime(Kawhi even said regular season is practice for the PO's last year)
-Pandering to wokeness and China

Showtime80'
11-23-2019, 01:40 PM
"People want to watch LeBron"

LOL Hey Yo!!! So much to unpack in that statement.

First of all LeBald may be a ratings draw in the NBA post 1998 but he has NEVER BEEN in the stratosphere of MJ, hell not even Larry or Magic. He has been involved in some woefully rated NBA Finals highlighted by the LOWEST RATED FINALS in history in 2007:

LOL, MJ carried the backwater market Utah frigging Jazz lead by old Malone and Stockton to the third highest and HIGHEST RATED Finals in NBA history in 1997and 1998. No contest.

The reality is that the little relevance the NBA still has is thanks to Twitter, Barkley on TNT and the after effects of the Michael Jeffrey Jordan phenomenon. Had Michael stayed retired in 1993 the NBA would be competing with the NHL and MLS for numbers (which with the crap their trotting out shortly they will be).

Like the Realist said the NBA has been in a reactionary money grabbing mode since the mid 90's and they went into a rule altering binge in order to keep the flow going. It all started in the mid-90's when the league had it's highest rated Finals in 1993 up to that point and then what happens?!?!? PANIC MODE!!!

MJ retires, the NBA had its first season without him, Magic or Bird since 1979, offenses plummeted, the pace was slowing drastically and it all culminated with the 1994 Finals which had the lowest rating since tape delay in 1981!!! The league immediately goes into action and shortens the 3-point line while also allowing 3 FT's for a foul while shooting a 3 along with the first true guidelines to eliminate hand checking. VOILA!!!!

That's where the genesis of all this madness started folks, 1994 and it has led us all they way to today and the abomination the sport has become.

Fun fact for Hey No, the 1993 all-star game had a 14.3 rating and watched by 23 million people, better numbers THAN EVERY FINALS AFTER 1998!!!

The Golden Generation was real and it came and went, too bad for those who missed it and have to settle for LeBald and the gang!

ElPigto
11-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Let's respect our elders kids. Remember, one day it will be us bitching about the good ole days (present).

This happens every generation, the old guys think they know better and hate the way things are done currently.

bigkingsfan
11-23-2019, 02:10 PM
"People want to watch LeBron"

LOL Hey Yo!!! So much to unpack in that statement.

First of all LeBald may be a ratings draw in the NBA post 1998 but he has NEVER BEEN in the stratosphere of MJ, hell not even Larry or Magic. He has been involved in some woefully rated NBA Finals highlighted by the LOWEST RATED FINALS in history in 2007:
The NBA playoffs were tape delayed back then. :oldlol:

egokiller
11-23-2019, 02:13 PM
This isn't even a debate.

Fan "A" sees current era and past eras and says current era is shit.

Fan "B" sees current era has no basis to compare to.

:roll:

G0ATbe
11-23-2019, 02:19 PM
tl;dr

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/ec/ec7e9fd14c73ab522dd56668bd155962c5408aa05fb4fd2022 9b29bce328b683.jpg