PDA

View Full Version : True or false: A 30 point triple double today is ~on par with 27-7-7 in the 90s-'00's

hiphopanonymous
11-24-2019, 06:29 PM
I don't know an exact formula of course so we could split hairs about the exact stat exchange rate but does it seem reasonable to suggest 30 point triple doubles these days are turning into something as routine as 25+ 5+ 5+ games used to be? Like a 27-7-7 statline perhaps? Just seems like this number is so routinely passed these past few seasons to the extent that it isn't even special anymore. We've had "record young" guys doing it for the past several seasons on "record low" minutes. From Westbrook to Giannis to Doncic and many more. Seems like it isn't as challenging to achieve anymore?

Marchesk
11-24-2019, 06:31 PM
Yeah, pace, scoring and efficiency are all up, with the rules and spacing favoring offensive performances.

So something like 27-7-7.

FireDavidKahn
11-24-2019, 06:32 PM
A stat exchange rate?

Jesus tap dancing christ.:facepalm

NBAGOAT
11-24-2019, 06:32 PM
no rebounds are not that much easier to come by. a few guys getting triple doubles doesnt mean that applies across the league. 30/10 is roughly 27/7 sounds okay as an estimate but really the best way to do the points part is just points per 100. It applies not only across eras but across teams too. I really dont know about assists

hiphopanonymous
11-24-2019, 06:33 PM
A stat exchange rate?

Jesus tap dancing christ.:facepalm
Well then, do you feel stats are equal across all eras?

Marchesk
11-24-2019, 06:33 PM
no rebounds are not that much easier to come by.

They're easier to come by for perimeter players with the increase in long range shots and less bigs camping out in the paint.

hiphopanonymous
11-24-2019, 06:36 PM
no rebounds are not that much easier to come by. a few guys getting triple doubles doesnt mean that applies across the league. 30/10 is roughly 27/7 sounds okay as an estimate but really the best way to do the points part is just points per 100. It applies not only across eras but across teams too. I really dont know about assists
Per 100 possessions might not be fool proof though, as that doesn't account for any rule changes whatsoever.

For example, a player might legitimately be more capable of doing more per possession when they have rules going one way over another alternate way. I also think superstar players could tend to feel pressured to do more per possession if they know they'll play on less minutes than when minutes are high for energy purposes. (like if a player will expect to play 32 minutes they'll know they have to be more active per possession than if they expect to play 41 minutes)

I don't necessarily think my own scenario is foolproof either I just don't think per possession is airtight either

NBAGOAT
11-24-2019, 06:39 PM
They're easier to come by for perimeter players with the increase in long range shots and less bigs camping out in the paint.

what if a big like jokic gets a triple double then? Also you're going need some statistical backing to convince me. Like data with the top perimeter rebounders each year and there being an obvious increase in average rpg. I see your point but dont think it's nearly enough to make up 3rpg.

I'll point to lebron as an example since he's played so long. His rebound rate in the rs has stayed pretty consistent since his 2nd year which was 2005. Pretty sure you would consider him a perimeter player.

STATUTORY
11-24-2019, 06:40 PM
I would say closer to 25-5-5 tbh

NBAGOAT
11-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Per 100 possessions might not be fool proof though, as that doesn't account for any rule changes whatsoever.

For example, a player might legitimately be more capable of doing more per possession when they have rules going one way over another alternate way. I also think superstar players could tend to feel pressured to do more per possession if they know they'll play on less minutes than when minutes are high for energy purposes. (like if a player will expect to play 32 minutes they'll know they have to be more active per possession than if they expect to play 41 minutes)

I don't necessarily think my own scenario is foolproof either I just don't think per possession is airtight either

it's definitely not airtight but best as a default. I agree with rule changes but dont know as much about the pressure to do more since they're playing less minutes. Feels like conjecture and case dependent. Some stars coast even if they're playing 32mpg.

bigkingsfan
11-24-2019, 06:43 PM
If Luka time of possession is 9.3 minutes a game, he would be doing the same thing.

warriorfan
11-24-2019, 06:44 PM
25 to 27 sounds right

In the 90’s there no freedom of movement rules and most importantly, less possessions.

Less possessions = less opportunities to score/rebound/assist

= lower ppg/rpg/apg

andgar923
11-24-2019, 07:18 PM
What constitutes an assist today changed from the past (for the most part).

Giving offensive players more freedom and restricting defenders probably gives them 2-4 extra ppg.

The ton of 3pt shots create more rebounding opportunities, specially with bigs on the perimeter more than before.

No doubt today's stats are inflated and skewed due to today's rules and style of play.

There's also more ball dominant players than before. Players back then didn't really control the ball as much (outside of PGs).

90sgoat
11-24-2019, 07:46 PM
It's easier to just compare what 10 rebounds ranks today vs in the past and so on.

Luka is 4th in scoring, 11th in rebound and 2nd in assists.

In 2005, that translates to:

26ppg 9.5rpg 9apg

So any way you slice it, that's a pretty cool statline.

In 1995 that statline would be:

27ppg 10.4rpg 9.4apg

That's what makes Luka unique.

In comparison say, we transplant 05-06 Lebron to today?

Lebron ranked 3rd in scoring, 30th in rebounding, 13th in assists

This translates to:

30ppg 7.6rpg 7.1apg

Lebron has never been an outstanding rebounder or passer. He was always a scorer first, who passed to give himself space.

Rico2016
11-24-2019, 08:13 PM
You forgot to add the 1.4 "non-plummer/mechanic" multiplier that modern players are awarded, while 90s players are not

So 25-7-7 becomes 35-10-10

elementally morale
11-25-2019, 01:03 AM
Points would drop more. Pace, more three pointers and more free throws. 30/10/10 is more like 24/8/8.

Mr Feeny
11-25-2019, 01:18 AM
I think it depends on the rule changes in a big way.
Are we talking prior or after handchecking was removed?
If its 2006, then it wouldn't be as special because everyone's stata had already skyrocketed by then. Go back 2 years though, to 2004. And offenses were stagnant.

hiphopanonymous
11-25-2019, 01:28 AM
I think it depends on the rule changes in a big way.
Are we talking prior or after handchecking was removed?
If its 2006, then it wouldn't be as special because everyone's stata had already skyrocketed by then. Go back 2 years though, to 2004. And offenses were stagnant.
Let's say, pre 2006 I do agree 2006 was the first waive of banned defensive play (handchecking on ball)

Mr Feeny
11-25-2019, 03:05 AM
Let's say, pre 2006 I do agree 2006 was the first waive of banned defensive play (handchecking on ball)

Then I'd agree. 40 point games were special back then. Triple doubles were so special that you had certain players (cough, cough....Ricky Davis) shooting at their own baskets so that they could get the triple double after collecting the rebounds from their own misses.

Everything has been inflated. 40 point triple doubles used to be something extremely noteworthy. At the moment, we dont even bat our eyelids when stuff like that happens. 30 point triple doubles are a 25-5-5 from 15 years ago.

SpaceJam2
11-25-2019, 03:14 AM
You forgot to add the 1.4 "non-plummer/mechanic" multiplier that modern players are awarded, while 90s players are not

So 25-7-7 becomes 35-10-10

:lol

Get. His. Ass.