PDA

View Full Version : Will the league ever see a non-center defensive anchor like LeBron?

SpaceJam2
12-01-2019, 12:07 AM
Food for thought: Kobe is a NEGATIVE in playoff DBPM (-0.3) and has a higher DRtg than Jordan and LeBron

Defensive Playoff Statistics (Kobe/MJ fans may want to look away)

DefRtg
LBJ: 102
MJ: 104
Kobe: 106

DBPM
LBJ: 3.2
MJ: 2.1
Kobe: -0.3 :lol

DWS
LBJ: 15.9
MJ: 12.4
Kobe: 7.3

LBJ is ranked 1st in all
Kobe is ranked last in all

LBJ > MJ > Kobe

My god is any non-center even close?

FireDavidKahn
12-01-2019, 12:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zd62MxKXp8

WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ainosterhaspie
12-01-2019, 12:19 AM
You mean like Draymond Green, Kevin Garnett and Scottie Pippen?

AussieSteve
12-01-2019, 12:22 AM
Food for thought: Kobe is a NEGATIVE in playoff DBPM (-0.3) and has a higher DRtg than Jordan and LeBron

Defensive Playoff Statistics (Kobe/MJ fans may want to look away)

DefRtg
LBJ: 102
MJ: 104
Kobe: 106

DBPM
LBJ: 3.2
MJ: 2.1
Kobe: -0.3 :lol

DWS
LBJ: 15.9
MJ: 12.4
Kobe: 7.3

LBJ is ranked 1st in all
Kobe is ranked last in all

LBJ > MJ > Kobe

My god is any non-center even close?

DWS is not a fair comparison as it is cumulative. Try DWS/48

LBJ: 0.076
MJ: 0.080
Kobe: 0.041 :oldlol:

AussieSteve
12-01-2019, 12:27 AM
Literally every single stat, metric and numerical anecdote points to Kobe being several tiers below MJ and LBJ

SpaceJam2
12-01-2019, 12:43 AM
DWS is not a fair comparison as it is cumulative. Try DWS/48

LBJ: 0.076
MJ: 0.080
Kobe: 0.041 :oldlol:

Yes and no. Some players are forced to play LONGER while not fresh, and thus the /48 stats get skewed when forced to play while not as fresh.

AussieSteve
12-01-2019, 01:01 AM
Yes and no. Some players are forced to play LONGER while not fresh, and thus the /48 stats get skewed when forced to play while not as fresh.

The other thing that is not entirely fair about comparing stats like DRtg, DWS and DBPM is that they are affected by team defense.

Look at the Lakers this season, or all of the Spurs players that played with Duncan. All have good to great DRtgs because of how the metric is calculated.

Bird is another example of this. Good defensive metrics despite not being a good defender.

MJ had elite defenders at the 3 and 4 for almost his entire career. Kobe also had a lot of defensive help during all of his championship seasons. Both obviously had an elite defensive coach also. LBJ has rarely had these advantages. Particularly in the last 7-8 years. So for him to have better numbers than the others actually speaks volumes.

TMac&Luther
12-01-2019, 11:57 AM
They're all over the league.. P.J. Tucker is a "non center defensive anchor". Hell the Clippers have two of them. I don't understand the OPs question here.

SpaceJam2
12-01-2019, 12:01 PM
They're all over the league.. P.J. Tucker is a "non center defensive anchor". Hell the Clippers have two of them. I don't understand the OPs question here.

Um...I mean one that wins FMVP...Sorry for not clarifying

SpaceJam2
12-01-2019, 12:03 PM
The other thing that is not entirely fair about comparing stats like DRtg, DWS and DBPM is that they are affected by team defense.

Look at the Lakers this season, or all of the Spurs players that played with Duncan. All have good to great DRtgs because of how the metric is calculated.

Bird is another example of this. Good defensive metrics despite not being a good defender.

MJ had elite defenders at the 3 and 4 for almost his entire career. Kobe also had a lot of defensive help during all of his championship seasons. Both obviously had an elite defensive coach also. LBJ has rarely had these advantages. Particularly in the last 7-8 years. So for him to have better numbers than the others actually speaks volumes.

It's pretty remarkable. Imagine how much BETTER LeBron's numbers would be if he had prime Pippen and Rodman for his entire career :eek:

TMac&Luther
12-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Um...I mean one that wins FMVP...Sorry for not clarifying

You mean like Kawhi Leonard.. it's not that rare.

SpaceJam2
12-01-2019, 12:07 PM

His #s are still tied or lower than LBJ so you concede Kawhi is a better defender than MJ, and almost on par with LBJ.

LBJ
Kawhi
MJ
Kobe

Akeem34TheDream
12-01-2019, 12:15 PM
His #s are still tied or lower than LBJ so you concede Kawhi is a better defender than MJ, and almost on par with LBJ.

LBJ
Kawhi
MJ
Kobe
Kawhi is the best defender among those 4.

Bronbron23
12-01-2019, 12:19 PM

LBJ
Kawhi
MJ
Kobe
What numbers? Mj had more steals and the same amount of blocks. He also had more defensive teams and a dpoy. Mj was also much faster laterally. I know your not talking about drtg which is the same defensive measure that had jj red as one of the best defenders in the league.

superduper
12-01-2019, 12:37 PM
Anyone who tries to quantify defensive impact with stats has no idea what defense truly is. No stat can interpret defensive impact even remotely correctly.

SpaceJam2
12-01-2019, 01:10 PM
What numbers? Mj had more steals and the same amount of blocks. He also had more defensive teams and a dpoy. Mj was also much faster laterally. I know your not talking about drtg which is the same defensive measure that had jj red as one of the best defenders in the league.

Which stats? :lol

Uhh the ones listed

DRtg
DWS
DBPM

And Reddick claim is a dumb false claim only 3ball says...So yes, you are a 3ball alt. 3balt.

Ainosterhaspie
12-01-2019, 01:14 PM
No, he wasn't defensive anchor either year his team won.

SpaceJam2
12-01-2019, 01:18 PM
No, he wasn't defensive anchor either year his team won.

Right?

I guess that random poster forgot all about Duncan and Gasol/Siakam

Sheeshkabob

SpaceJam2
12-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Anyone who tries to quantify defensive impact with stats has no idea what defense truly is. No stat can interpret defensive impact even remotely correctly.

Playoff
DRtg
DWS
DBPM

Has the 4 defenders ranked as follows

LBJ
Kawhi
MJ
Kobe

I see nothing wrong with that ranking...

Bronbron23
12-01-2019, 01:58 PM
Playoff
DRtg
DWS
DBPM

Has the 4 defenders ranked as follows

LBJ
Kawhi
MJ
Kobe

I see nothing wrong with that ranking...
Im telling u dude you and other bron stans on here are setting yourselves up for greek to pass lebron on the atg list. Hes gonna be better than lebron in almost every stat there is including all the ones mentioned above. All he'll need is one chip to go along with them and it will be a forgone conclusion.

SpaceJam2
12-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Im telling u dude you and other bron stans on here are setting yourselves up for greek to pass lebron on the atg list. Hes gonna be better than lebron in almost every stat there is including all the ones mentioned above. All he'll need is one chip to go along with them and it will be a forgone conclusion.

On the contrary, I bet any amount of money he will not pass LeBron in any of his Playoff records, such as: playoff points, game winners, steals, 8 consecutive finals...

Bronbron23
12-01-2019, 02:27 PM
On the contrary, I but any amount of money he will not pass LeBron in any of his Playoff records, such as: playoff points, game winners, steals, 8 consecutive finals...
He wont beat bron in playoff assists or steals but he might in pts. As far as everything else he most likely will. The defensive stats you mentioned in the op he will. He'll have more blocks and rebounds also. Not sure about runner ups but i could easily see greek having more chips and fmvps than bron.

SpaceJam2
12-01-2019, 07:23 PM
He wont beat bron in playoff assists or steals but he might in pts. As far as everything else he most likely will. The defensive stats you mentioned in the op he will. He'll have more blocks and rebounds also. Not sure about runner ups but i could easily see greek having more chips and fmvps than bron.

He might beat Bron in playoff points?

LeBron = 6,911 (and counting)
Giannis = 781

If Giannis makes the next 10 finals, scoring 550 points per run he would still be nearly 1,000 points shy.

You have NO IDEA how great LeBron's playoff point total record is. It's nearly unbreakable

AirFederer
12-01-2019, 07:25 PM
-16 tonight vs Mavs

Ouch.

LeAnchor :eek:

Bronbron23
12-01-2019, 07:30 PM
He might beat Bron in playoff points?

LeBron = 6,911 (and counting)
Giannis = 781

If Giannis makes the next 10 finals, scoring 550 points per run he would still be nearly 1,000 points shy.

You have NO IDEA how great LeBron's playoff point total record is. It's nearly unbreakable
No i have an idea its obviously sick. Greek will probably dominate the next 12 years or so though and the way the hame is going who knows how much players will score

ImKobe
12-01-2019, 07:32 PM
-16 tonight vs Mavs

Ouch.

LeAnchor :eek:

Defensive anchor :roll: haven't guys been shooting like 60% against him in the last two Finals en route to him going 1 - 8? :facepalm

Bronbron23
12-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Which stats? :lol

Uhh the ones listed

DRtg
DWS
DBPM

And Reddick claim is a dumb false claim only 3ball says...So yes, you are a 3ball alt. 3balt.
Ahhh try agsin dude. In the ladt 5 years jj red had 3 sessons of a drtg of 102 or less snd hes easily one of the worst defenders in the league so that shows u how accurate drtg is.

SpaceJam2
12-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Ahhh try agsin dude. In the ladt 5 years jj red had 3 sessons of a drtg of 102 or less snd hes easily one of the worst defenders in the league so that shows u how accurate drtg is.

You're clearly 3ball because only he would reference a stat that is a blatant lie multiple times.

J.J. Reddick's DRTg

Reg season
19: 115
18: 110
17: 112
16: 111
15: 109

(2020: 119)

Playoffs
19:114
18:111
17:115
16:112
15:113

Why are you lying?

Pacquiao
12-01-2019, 07:55 PM
It's funny how this Leflop fans are excited about this regular season when in playoff time everyone will lock Leflop and play passive in the 4TH Quater with his horrible defense

Passing the ball when he has smaller defender on him
Leaving his man behind the 3
Passive and Disappearsd in the 4TH Quarter

SpaceJam2
12-01-2019, 11:15 PM
It's funny how this Leflop fans are excited about this regular season when in playoff time everyone will lock Leflop and play passive in the 4TH Quater with his horrible defense

Passing the ball when he has smaller defender on him
Leaving his man behind the 3
Passive and Disappearsd in the 4TH Quarter

HOL UP

He did all that and STILL dropped a thousand more post season points than any player in league history?

Yall not serious are you?!