PDA

View Full Version : Why is Embiid so bad against Marc Gasol?

StrongLurk
12-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Embiid averages like 12ppg against Gasol over the last couple years.

Seems strange for Embiid to just be completely owned by Gasol specifically but not really any other bigman.

FKAri
12-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Horford played him well too. Embiid has a lot of "tricks" on offense that if someone actually took the time to study and anticipate would realize they're coming. Actually stopping them is another matter, though. It also doesn't mean you can stop him 1 on 1 but it does mean that if you can match his size/strength you won't get caught with your pants down and help defense will be there in time. And in the modern defensive climate even superstar bigs can be slowed to a crawl if you can play it right.

FireDavidKahn
12-09-2019, 02:45 PM
https://i.imgur.com/VxT8xPM.jpg

brooks_thompson
12-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Embiid is disappointing. I guess he has time to get it together, but I'm not hopeful.

dbugz
12-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Daddy Al's already on his team, need another daddy outside.

sixerfan82
12-09-2019, 03:40 PM
He hasn't really developed a solid low post game just yet. He has 3-4 moves, which aren't reliable or refined and he is largely getting by on size alone.

For example, he's got enough weight on him to lower his shoulder and bang, but he doesn't seem to have the footwork to go up-and-under, the awareness to pass out of the double team or the fundamentals to keep the ball high to avoid the little guys swiping at the ball.

I think he's modeled his game after hakeem, but should honestly spend a summer or two with duncan or shaq, he'd be a totally different player.