PDA

View Full Version : Better athlete in their prime relative to their size... LeBron or Dwight?

Shogon
12-09-2019, 05:54 PM
Now of course LeBron was better at basketball but the question is, relative to their size, who was more impressive as an athlete?

https://media.giphy.com/media/l46CaTLJi63yCJ224/giphy.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/InfamousUnacceptableIcelandichorse-size_restricted.gif

Dr Hawk
12-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Lebron by far, since he was way faster.

superduper
12-09-2019, 05:56 PM
The one who mollywhopped the other one on the way to the NBA finals.

72-10
12-09-2019, 06:54 PM
Dwight's probably the most athletic person ever at his size

Dwight can get up higher

and defense is about effort, which means a lot of energy is exerted - Dwight was able to guard both his man and play off him a bit and guard the guy with the ball as well once there was lane penetration without committing to either of them and be effective at guarding both of them - that uses up an insane amount of energy and effort

later in his career Dwight started running out to defend players on the wing and then he'd run back into the paint to contest

so I'd actually say defense has athleticism as a large factor in it

AirFederer
12-09-2019, 07:11 PM
The dunk champ

dirkdiggler41
12-09-2019, 08:02 PM
LeBron - It's not all about jumping high. Body control, balance, and coordination is an athletic ability in my opinion.

ShawkFactory
12-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Lebron has more attributes athletically.

And when you consider that the size difference really isn

eliteballer
12-09-2019, 08:08 PM
Both are juicers, doesn't matter.

AlternativeAcc.
12-09-2019, 08:08 PM
S0... Dwight can jump really high

So does LeBron. And LeBron beats him in every other athletic category. Not even a debate.

Dray n Klay
12-09-2019, 08:15 PM

Do you have proof?

72-10
12-09-2019, 11:21 PM
S0... Dwight can jump really high

So does LeBron. And LeBron beats him in every other athletic category. Not even a debate.

yeah but Dwight, I mean, wow, this guy can jump really fvkin high

dunk two basketballs high

we're talkin higher than James Brown on national TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSz5rwkvKkA

might be teh highest we've seen

Mr Exlax
12-09-2019, 11:32 PM
It could have been D-12 if he didn't bulk up so much. He was a lot more fluid when we first got to the league.

Smoke117
12-09-2019, 11:32 PM
yeah but Dwight, I mean, wow, this guy can jump really fvkin high

dunk two basketballs high

we're talkin higher than James Brown on national TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSz5rwkvKkA

might be teh highest we've seen

How high you can jump isn't even that important. What's important is how quickly you can explode up and Dwight had all time great explosion. Before his back injury if he was anywhere near the rim it was an automatic dunk or foul.

72-10
12-09-2019, 11:36 PM
calisthenics

AngelEyes
12-10-2019, 12:15 AM
LeBron is way more athletic than Dwight Howard, it's not even remotely close. And they're pretty similar in size, Howard is only 6'9" barefoot. To me peak LeBron and current Giannis are far, far more athletic than Dwight Howard ever was. Their combination of size, length, strength, speed, leaping ability, body control and fluidity far exceeds what someone like Dwight could do.

72-10
12-10-2019, 11:07 PM
How high you can jump isn't even that important. What's important is how quickly you can explode up and Dwight had all time great explosion. Before his back injury if he was anywhere near the rim it was an automatic dunk or foul.

also, Dwight's the strongest player to play

he can out-bench and out-squat anyone

PP34Deuce
12-11-2019, 11:35 AM
LOL...

Lebron James in his physical prime (23-29) was more athletic than Dwight.

When I look at athleticism I look at,

Speed
Quickness
Strength
Explosion
Athleticism that adapts to other sports.

I'm willing to bet Lebron has/had more arm strength to throw a football than Dwight. Willing to bet Lebron throws a fast ball better too. There was a play in 2009 where Dwight went up for the dunk, lebron blocked it, caught it and ran the break and then got a layup on the other end weaving in and out of traffic.

Dwight's not doing that....

Jameerthefear
12-11-2019, 12:27 PM
I have legit never seen you actually discuss basketball on this board

JEFFERSON MONEY
12-11-2019, 12:49 PM
Strength and 2 footed Vert Explosiveness: Dwight

Hand-Eye Coord, Agility, Speed, First Step Acceleration, Balance, Endurance, Flexibility, Ability to take a Beating: LBJ