Oscar
Dr. J
Jerry West

these guys would rip a 2-3 to shreds

let me know if you want my long list

Hey Yo
12-13-2019, 11:03 AM
April 1st, 2001

"The subject was defense in the NBA, and Michael Jordan was speaking, although more about offense, especially his. We know few defenses could do anything about that.

But there was one that might be bothersome, the zone defense. It was the topic du jour at last month's All-Star Game, and Jordan was making an impassioned plea before the competition committee that had gathered to consider rules changes to enliven the NBA game. Jordan spoke passionately. If teams were able to play zone defenses, he said, he never would have had the career he did.

72-10
12-13-2019, 11:04 AM
stop being pedantic and moronic

proof's in the pudding

72-10
12-13-2019, 11:06 AM
y'know, like, Jason Williams would have a little more trouble getting some of his passes off, but he'd still get most of his passes to work

Hey Yo
12-13-2019, 11:07 AM
stop being pedantic and moronic

proof's in the pudding
Yes it is......

Jordan spoke passionately. If teams were able to play zone defenses, he said, he never would have had the career he did.

MoBe1Kanobi
12-13-2019, 11:15 AM
I've never seen a player tear up a zone better than kobe in 2010 against the Suns in the WCF.

They threw a zone at the jumpshot less Lakers but alas... Kobe turned into Klay Thompson 3.0 for that series and straight raped their zone coverage

Overdrive
12-13-2019, 11:40 AM
this is my short list

MJ
Bird
Magic
Oscar
Dr. J
Jerry West

Jordan and Oscar would get raped by a 3-2 matchup zone without a defensive 3s rule if they don't have a big like Ewing who can shoot the mid and force one of the bigs out. You need a reliable 3 point shot for that. Kobe would even fare better than them.

Bird is the archetype for that defense. 1v1 nightmare, can shoot the 3, doesn't need to dribble to create.

SomeBlackDude
12-13-2019, 11:45 AM
this is my short list

MJ
Bird
Magic
Oscar
Dr. J
Jerry West

why the hypothetical? Everyone of those guys played and dominated against actual zones for like 2-3 years in college.

Jordan spoke passionately. If teams were able to play zone defenses, he said, he never would have had the career he did.

how would the goat ever deal with this kind of impenetrable defense?

This season, the Wizards have placed trust in the zone, in which defenders are assigned an area to cover instead of a player. Although zone defense is rare in the NBA because the defensive three-second rule dissuades big men from camping in the paint, the Wizards have used it 12.5 percent of the time under new defensive coordinator Michael Longabardi, according to Synergy Sports.

That is by far the most in the league, with the Toronto Raptors and Golden State Warriors at 4.5 percent and 4.3 percent, respectively. In contrast, the Los Angeles Lakers have faced zone defenses more than any team: 4.6 percent of the time.

Why are the Wizards using zone defense more than any other team? ‘It works for us.’ (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/14/why-are-wizards-using-zone-defense-more-than-any-other-team-it-works-us/)

2019-2020 Washington Wizards

Def Rtg: 117.2 (30th of 30)*

Opp PTS/G: 122.1 (30th of 30)

*2nd worst defensive rating in nba history

https://media3.giphy.com/media/gRI82qIDbHZPW/source.gif

ArbitraryWater
12-13-2019, 12:00 PM
Yes it is......

:oldlol:

OP such a doofus

ImKobe
12-13-2019, 12:18 PM
Kobe scored 81 against Zone..

oh and this is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDwJPY-Nneg

72-10
12-13-2019, 12:57 PM
Yes it is......

I meant the footage you broken record rummy. His mid-range is sufficiently deep that he'd shoot over the top of a zone, and he's too quick with drives and thinking before the defense reacts to beat a zone on drives. He had all kinds of ridiculous footwork, including lightning quick jab steps to throw the defense off before moving with the ball, and one of the quickest first steps in the game's history.

His fadeaway would beat any zone because he can resort to it when a hard double or triple comes his way.

72-10
12-13-2019, 12:59 PM
Jordan and Oscar would get raped by a 3-2 matchup zone without a defensive 3s rule if they don't have a big like Ewing who can shoot the mid and force one of the bigs out. You need a reliable 3 point shot for that. Kobe would even fare better than them.

Bird is the archetype for that defense. 1v1 nightmare, can shoot the 3, doesn't need to dribble to create.

https://pics.onsizzle.com/how-about-a-warm-cup-of-stfu-demolitionboris-50124575.png

what do you mean by a 3-2 zone - a trap? Because that's basically what it is. You can only run 3-2 so long because the perimeter players are the primary ballhandlers on offense.

KD7
12-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Kevin Durant

3ball
12-13-2019, 01:16 PM
this is my short list

MJ
Bird
Magic
Oscar
Dr. J
Jerry West

between mj and lebron, only mj has ripped a 2-3 to shreds when he was Player of the Year in college over Hakeem and Ewing

otoh, there's no 2-3 in today's NBA because of defensive 3, so the best 2-3 that lebron ever beat was high school!!.. :oldlol:

Smoke117
12-13-2019, 01:34 PM
April 1st, 2001

"The subject was defense in the NBA, and Michael Jordan was speaking, although more about offense, especially his. We know few defenses could do anything about that.

But there was one that might be bothersome, the zone defense. It was the topic du jour at last month's All-Star Game, and Jordan was making an impassioned plea before the competition committee that had gathered to consider rules changes to enliven the NBA game. Jordan spoke passionately. If teams were able to play zone defenses, he said, he never would have had the career he did.

/thread

bigkingsfan
12-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Kobe scored 81 against Zone..

oh and this is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDwJPY-Nneg
He shot 45% that season. :oldlol:

superduper
12-13-2019, 02:01 PM
He shot 45% that season. :oldlol:

Which was above average for a SG in his era.

Next?

zeerghit
12-13-2019, 02:05 PM
Which was above average for a SG in his era.

Next?
so kobe is only above average player aswell?

bigkingsfan
12-13-2019, 02:11 PM
Too ez :dancin

superduper
12-13-2019, 02:12 PM

Sorry I forgot FG% (the most flawed and outdated current stat) is the only aspect of basketball.

2ez :violin:

LAmbruh
12-13-2019, 02:13 PM
:yaohappy:

SomeBlackDude
12-13-2019, 02:17 PM
'zone' is a gimmick used by coaches who understand they don't have the personnel to play real, man to man defense. if you see a coach playing 'zone', that's basically him admitting defeat.

wizards play the most 'zone' in the nba right now, about 4x as much as the 2nd place squad... and they're just about the worst defensive team basketball has ever seen. at any level. the globetrotters would drop 150 in regulation on them.

123 ppg allowed, 2nd worst drtg of all time.

that's not an accident.

KD7
12-13-2019, 02:35 PM
:roll:

LostCause
12-13-2019, 02:39 PM
April 1st, 2001

And thus Defensive 3 Seconds was instituted to prevent the zone Jordan described from being played .

You kids gotta learn context matters

Overdrive
12-13-2019, 02:49 PM
https://pics.onsizzle.com/how-about-a-warm-cup-of-stfu-demolitionboris-50124575.png

what do you mean by a 3-2 zone - a trap? Because that's basically what it is. You can only run 3-2 so long because the perimeter players are the primary ballhandlers on offense.

Against a team like the 1st threepeat Bulls xou wouldn't defend with 3 players low. You need to defend Pippennon ball and Jordan at zhe triple threat. There's no real threat from weak side cuts. So two low three top is better. You can switch it up anyway.

Jordan just isn't made to play against zones. 2-3 is great to deny the low post, 3-2 to defend the triple threat at the perimeter. Both deny slashing. You need good shooters at any position to keep the defenders honest and the Bulls didn't have that.

Rico2016
12-13-2019, 02:50 PM
April 1st, 2001

Wow I am speechless.