PDA

View Full Version : 28 years ago today, Karl Malone gave Isiah 40 stitches

Patrick Chewing
12-14-2019, 02:24 PM
Saw this today from ESPN on my Twitter feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0RGcMhGMk4

It's hilarious that without the bench-clearing brawl, this was probably going to be just a common foul. :oldlol:

"When you play in the NBA, you get bumped, you get bumped hard."

Malone talking about the toughness of that era's NBA.

FireDavidKahn
12-14-2019, 02:26 PM
This is why I don't understand some people long for those days.

Basketball shouldn't be a sport about using violence as a means for defense. In fact, using violence to defend essentially means you have less skill but have to make up for it by doing shit like that.

Basketball should be about using skill.

Mask the Embiid
12-14-2019, 02:30 PM
Malone couldnt handle Zeke busting Stockton's ass after MJ played politics to get Stockton on the Dream team over Zeke.He wanted everyone to know that its not close between him and Stockton. He proved it with thoses 40 burgers he went out of his way to drop on stockton's neck

Malone had a mental breakdown on the court and if that p.o.s Laimbeer really was a tough guy, he would of dropped malone right there on the spot....but he was a coward deep down as everyone suspected

Patrick Chewing
12-14-2019, 02:34 PM

Basketball shouldn't be a sport about using violence as a means for defense. In fact, using violence to defend essentially means you have less skill but have to make up for it by doing shit like that.

There is a level of violence in all sports. Basketball is probably the least violent sport out of all of them.

Fouling someone and requiring stitches afterwards wasn't the norm back then. But there were less contact fouls than there are now. I think it all started going down hill when they got rid of hand-checking your opponent.

The league is so focused on protecting the shooter that you don't see that physicality anymore on the defensive end. Shooting the ball freely is not a skill.

Xiao Yao You
12-14-2019, 04:04 PM

It got to the point where it was too physical certainly but it's went to far the other way now.

That play would have never happened if it was Gobert up top on Isiah not the stiff Eaton. He wouldn't have needed Malone.