PDA

View Full Version : Article in 1989: UN predicts disaster if Global Warming not checked

keep-itreal
12-15-2019, 03:57 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EFeNIVDXUAUJ6sC.png

article posted in June 29, 1989. Says by the year 2000 this whole planet earth will be completely destroyed.

It's 2019 and seems pretty fine to me :roll: :roll:

keep-itreal
12-15-2019, 04:01 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/jan/18/jim-hansen-obama

President 'has four years to save Earth'
Barack Obama has only four years to save the world. That is the stark assessment of Nasa scientist and leading climate expert Jim Hansen who last week warned only urgent action by the new president could halt the devastating climate change that now threatens Earth. Crucially, that action will have to be taken within Obama's first administration, he added.

Article was in 2009. According to that scientist, there will be complete global disaster by 2013 if climate change is not fixed :roll:

Again we're almost at 2020 now and Earth seems pretty fine to me :roll:

FultzNationRISE
12-15-2019, 04:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EFeNIVDXUAUJ6sC.png

article posted in June 29, 1989. Says by the year 2000 this whole planet earth will be completely destroyed.

It's 2019 and seems pretty fine to me :roll: :roll:

AOC just said the same thing recently, didnt she? I think she put the timeline at 12 years from now as well.

Scaremongering is a helluva drug.

FultzNationRISE
12-15-2019, 04:07 PM
@Loco
@Nanners
@ItsMillerTard
@bladefd
@tRRR3nny
@MaxFly
@Scalsfan

Paging all of ISH’s most profound geniuses.

Come in, geniuses. Do you copy?

Shogon
12-15-2019, 04:11 PM
To be fair what it actually says is that it will be irreversible if we don't do something by 2000, not that we'd be wiped out by 2000.

In any event, let's say that our current climate change is almost exclusively human activity influenced... I don't care. I worry about this not one bit.

Why? Because IF it is, we will engineer our way out of it. If we can **** it up, we can un**** it up. I guarantee it.

The point is... if human beings are facing extinction, they will find a way.

Norcaliblunt
12-15-2019, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=FultzNationRISE]@Loco
@Nanners
@ItsMillerTard
@bladefd
@tRRR3nny
@MaxFly
@Scalsfan
@Norcaliblunt

Paging all of ISH

FultzNationRISE
12-15-2019, 04:24 PM
To be fair what it actually says is that it will be irreversible if we don't do something by 2000, not that we'd be wiped out by 2000.

In any event, let's say that our current climate change is almost exclusively human activity influenced... I don't care. I worry about this not one bit.

Why? Because IF it is, we will engineer our way out of it. If we can **** it up, we can un**** it up. I guarantee it.

Yeah but we cant engineer extinct species back into existence. That’s the main tragedy of environmental destruction.

Unfortunately tho we’ve decided to help the developing world destroy all their own natural species and habitats the way we destroyed ours in the developed world.

If anybody wants to do something to help reverse that situation, Im totally on board. Like, stop providing food and weapons and medicine to people in areas that were basically primitive tribes until 100 years ago. Stop overfishing the sea just so we can feed open border America (hispanic birth rate of like 7 kids per mother) and export what’s left around the world?

That’s too daring for average beta cucks in America to hitch their wagons to. The safer position to become hysterical about is vehicle emissions standards that only apply to the 4% of the world living in the US. That’s the level of resolution every “activist” (follower) is confident to support publicly without having to worry about someone else calling him a meanie wittle wacist.

Take meek and modest positions, get meek and modest results.

The cucks always want big results and big social credit for making tiny, safe, politically correct contributions. Just like they always want financial benefits for more than theyre actually worth.

Babybirds stay cryin for momma to feed em.

FultzNationRISE
12-15-2019, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=Norcaliblunt]I

Shogon
12-15-2019, 04:29 PM
That’s too daring for average beta cucks in America to hitch their wagons to. The safer position to become hysterical about is vehicle emissions standards that only apply to the 4% of the world living in the US. That’s the level of resolution every “activist” (follower) is confident to support publicly without having to worry about someone else calling him a meanie wittle wacist.

Take meek and modest positions, get meek and modest results.

The cucks always want big results and big social credit for making tiny, safe, politically correct contributions. Just like they always want financial benefits for more than theyre actually worth.

Babybirds stay cryin for momma to feed em.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's funny because it's true.

HitandRun Reggie
12-15-2019, 04:32 PM
Alarmists going to alarm

The Earth was supposed to already be nearly out of these things by now

Oil
Food
Water
Ozone Layer
Etc
Etc.

I'm not saying an obvious problem should be ignored but making a religion out of doomsday scenarios seems like it's a human trait for those with nothing better to worry about or those who have found a way to profit out of it.

I don't think anyone disagrees that human overpopulation is the single biggest threat to the Earth but that's the one thing everyone, outside of China at least, is doing nothing about.

bladefd
12-15-2019, 07:52 PM
Posting this again (post has never been refuted):

Global warming/climate change in a nutshell:
The more greenhouse gases enter the atmosphere, the more energy gets trapped from escaping our atmosphere. The more energy gets trapped, the warmer the land/oceans/etc get as they absorb the excess heat. The warmer it gets, the more evaporation you get (ice caps/glaciers melt more too so water level rises too). The more evaporation you get, the more precipitation you get. More precipitation means more and stronger hurricanes/typhoons. More hurricanes means more destruction of people/infrastructure/forests/wildlife/etc.

^ All of those things are positive amplifications, making matters worse for us as time passes. Some of them also help contribute to forest fires, deforestation and desertification, which further amplifies climate change/global warming.

We humans are mostly responsible for the excess greenhouse gases entering the atmosphere without a doubt. It's mainly two gases causing misery due to the extreme amounts.. CO2 from coal/oil/gas and methane from excess animal breeding (cattle) for our consumption. Other lesser amounts include NO2 from agriculture waste and other fluorides.

Fewer ice caps/glacier coverage also means there is less sunlight being reflected back into space, which means more energy gets absorbed into the land/water rather than reflected back into space (look up 'albedo effect')... This is yet more positive amplification.

As far as the point of return goes, we will never truly know. No climate scientist or computer prediction model can tell you "Year x is the point of no-return" with 100% certainty. It could be 2020 or 2220. It will also never end the Earth. Having said that, it still does not disprove any of the facts posted above, and it certainly does not disprove climate change/global warming/whatever synonym you want to use. It also does not dispute the fact that we need to focus on expanding clean renewable energy (and nuclear energy).. We must resist coal, oil and natural gas. Coal should have been gone this decade.

Shogon
12-15-2019, 07:56 PM
As far as the point of return goes, we will never truly know. No climate scientist or computer prediction model can tell you "Year x is the point of no-return" with 100% certainty. It could be 2020 or 2220. It will also never end the Earth. Having said that, it still does not disprove any of the facts posted above, and it certainly does not disprove climate change/global warming/whatever synonym you want to use. It also does not dispute the fact that we need to focus on expanding clean renewable energy (and nuclear energy).. We must resist coal, oil and natural gas. Coal should have been gone this decade.

The sun is all the energy we need. Nevertheless, we will fix our coal/gas created problems with engineering. Worry not.

bladefd
12-15-2019, 08:34 PM
The sun is all the energy we need. Nevertheless, we will fix our coal/gas created problems with engineering. Worry not.

Technology won't bring back extinct animals (yes, I know about Jurassic Park but you can never bring back pure breeds - only hybrids and you can't know about unintended consequences like in Jurassic Park) and won't bring back ancient forests/rain-forests we are burning down. Technology alone isn't the answer but technology + behavior shift together.

Behavior change examples:
-We need to eat much less meat and breed less farm animals for our consumption. They take up too much land for grazing and release too much methane.
-We need to get population growth under control.
-Stop overfishing. Eat less fish.
-Switch to biodegradable plastic across the board. No plastic bags and no plastic water bottles.
-Retraining for those doing jobs in coal, oil, and eventually natural gas sectors into solar, nuclear, wind, hydro, etc.
etcetc

nathanjizzle
12-15-2019, 08:49 PM
i wonder why morons argue against global warming. people predicted we would have self driving cars by the year 2000. we didnt by 2000, but now we do. :confusedshrug: just because a timeline from one person isnt satisfied doesnt invalidate the problem or solution thats being presented. And i suspect the morons that argue against global warming dont halfway understand the greenhouse effect.

sammichoffate
12-15-2019, 11:12 PM
Technology won't bring back extinct animals (yes, I know about Jurassic Park but you can never bring back pure breeds - only hybrids and you can't know about unintended consequences like in Jurassic Park) and won't bring back ancient forests/rain-forests we are burning down. Technology alone isn't the answer but technology + behavior shift together.

Behavior change examples:
-Wait till all the boomer officials die off.Ftfy

Hawker
12-16-2019, 12:31 AM
Climate talks was an absolute disaster at Madrid. :lol