PDA

View Full Version : MJ won his first 3-peat with less help on both sides of the ball than Giannis

3ball
12-16-2019, 06:57 PM
He had a similar 2nd option to Middleton offensively (minus the spacing), and a worse team-defense than the Bucks have - so Jordan 3-peated with less help on both sides of the ball than Giannis has now

that's why I say that Pippen's defense isn't something that boosts Jordan's "help" compared to other 2nd options, because defense is a team effort and the Bulls had less defensive help overall, hence their lesser-ranked defenses.

the only thing that matters when we talk about the "help" of a 2nd option is their offense, while defensive help is a team thing... Ultimately, MJ had weak offensive help and only "decent" defensive help (7th ranked defense during 1st three-peat)

Uncle Drew
12-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Congratulations to Giannis on officially becoming a threat to Jordan.

RRR3
12-16-2019, 07:02 PM
List of players 3ball has been spooked by:

LeBron (duh)
Curry
Westbrook (in his MVP season)
Harden
Giannis
Luka

Zion next?

FKAri
12-16-2019, 07:03 PM
I see. Interesting. But this is largely due to MJ's incredible efficiency. How is it that despite this efficiency, LeGOAT blows him out of the water? I've always been curious.

SouBeachTalents
12-16-2019, 07:08 PM
Giannis has officially made it :applause:

3ball
12-16-2019, 07:14 PM
I see. Interesting. But this is largely due to MJ's incredible efficiency. How is it that despite this efficiency, LeGOAT blows him out of the water? I've always been curious.
Lebron can't even shoot 40% anytime he takes 30 shots or more.. heck, he can barely do it shooting 25 shots or more.

it's because he sucks at the additional jumpshooting (much of it midrange) required of high volume shooting/true carry-jobs.

otoh, MJ shot 50% while taking 30+ shots, and infact shot 49% for his playoff career on 25 shot attempts per game.. his whole playoff career was a carry-job

Lebron is nowhere near Jordan

and unlike MJ, he will be forgotten similar to Kobe once he retires and the Giannis' and Kuminga's of the world exceed his exploits (Giannis already is)

FKAri
12-16-2019, 07:17 PM
Lebron can't even shoot 40% anytime he takes 30 shots or more.. heck, he can barely do it shooting 25 shots or more.

it's because he sucks at the additional jumpshooting (much of it midrange) required of high volume shooting/true carry-jobs.

otoh, MJ shot 50% while taking 30+ shots, and infact shot 49% for his playoff career on 25 shot attempts per game.. his whole playoff career was a carry-job

and unlike MJ, he will be forgotten similar to Kobe once he retires and the Giannis' and Kuminga's of the world exceed his exploits (Giannis already is)
Well, right. I acknowledged MJ's efficiency. My question is that despite that why does LeMongous blow him out of the water doe?

RRR3
12-16-2019, 07:18 PM

55.3% against the Raptors in the 2018 playoffs averaging 25.8 shots a game. Whoops.

Manny98
12-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Pippen > Middleton and it's not particularly close

Giannis is more dominant than peak MJ, better defensively and harder to stop offensively :applause:

3ball
12-16-2019, 07:20 PM
55.3% against the Raptors in the 2018 playoffs averaging 25.8 shots a game. Whoops.
like I said, he can barely do it when he takes 25+ shots.. he needed to play the raptors in a horrible conference and also needed the year 2018, when the game has opened up like never before.

now post his stats when he takes 30+ shots and lets compare to Jordan.

3ball
12-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Pippen > Middleton and it's not particularly close

Not offensively, where Middleton probably has the edge because of the spacing he provides

and offense is all that matters when comparing 2nd options, since defense is a team thing, and the Bucks have more defensive help.

Ultimately, MJ won with weak offensive help and only "decent" defensive help (7th ranked defense during 1st three-peat).. So Jordan 3-peated with less help on both sides of the ball than Giannis, and is therefore far better.

Heck, Giannis lost as the favorite to a poor man's Jordan (Kawhi).. MJ would destroy Giannis

RRR3
12-16-2019, 07:27 PM
like I said, he can barely do it when he takes 25+ shots.. he needed to play the raptors in a horrible conference and also needed the year 2018, when the game has opened up like never before.

now post his stats when he takes 30+ shots and lets compare to Jordan.
Why the hell would any player be taking 30+ shots a game? That’s next level chucking.

Manny98
12-16-2019, 07:31 PM
Not offensively, where Middleton probably has the edge because of the spacing he provides

and offense is all that matters when comparing 2nd options, since defense is a team thing, and the Bucks have more defensive help.

Ultimately, MJ won with weak offensive help and only "decent" defensive help (7th ranked defense during 1st three-peat).. So Jordan 3-peated with less help on both sides of the ball than Giannis, and is therefore far better.

Heck, Giannis lost as the favorite to a poor man's Jordan (Kawhi).. MJ would destroy Giannis
Offense is a team thing as well then and the Bulls wouldn't be elite defensively if not for Pippen

RRR3
12-16-2019, 07:34 PM
Remember when 3ball said he would retire from ISH?

Dude is such a liar.

3ball
12-16-2019, 07:36 PM
:rolleyes:

3ball
12-16-2019, 07:39 PM
the Bulls wouldn't be elite defensively if not for Pippen

Bulls were elite defensively in 1988 (3rd) when MJ won DPOY

Otoh, the Bulls were only 6th when Pippen had the reigns in 1994

wow... did i just destroy you? it felt like you were destroyed.. let me know if you're still breathing.

Offense is a team thing as well then

it's hard to find 20-point scorers - there's usually only like 10-15 in the whole league, sometimes less..

so 2nd option offense is harder to replace than good defense..

good defenders abound everywhere, even the G-league or overseas.. you don't even need NBA players to find good defenders.. andre roberson is a good defender... defense isn't a "skill" aspect of the game, similar to defensive positions in football.. it's just hustle..

RRR3
12-16-2019, 07:39 PM
:rolleyes:
Why did you lie about retiring from ISH?

3ball
12-16-2019, 07:44 PM
Why did you lie about retiring from ISH?
I reached new levels of enlightenment and felt I had to share

I think my threads get to the heart of the matter quicker and better than before.. tbh, i took a little bit from space jam's style of posting subconscious thoughts (what we're all thinking at a visceral level, even if ridiculous) and added it to my posting game - i think it's done wonders.. look at you - pissed af

knicksman
12-16-2019, 07:47 PM
3ball with another gem.

Manny98
12-16-2019, 07:56 PM
Bulls were elite defensively in 1988 (3rd) when MJ won DPOY

Otoh, the Bulls were only 6th when Pippen had the reigns in 1994

wow... did i just destroy you? it felt like you were destroyed.. let me know if you're still breathing.

it's hard to find 20-point scorers - there's usually only like 10-15 in the whole league, sometimes less..

so 2nd option offense is harder to replace than good defense..

good defenders abound everywhere, even the G-league or overseas.. you don't even need NBA players to find good defenders.. andre roberson is a good defender... defense isn't a "skill" aspect of the game, similar to defensive positions in football.. it's just hustle..
So Pippens first season the bulls jump from 11th to 3rd defensively, Interesting

Defenders like Pippen are once in a generation.

3ball
12-16-2019, 08:15 PM
So Pippens first season the bulls jump from 11th to 3rd defensively, Interesting

Due to MJ's improvement to the best defender in basketball (DPOY) - that's why he won DPOY - peak MJ made the Bulls an elite defensive team (#3 in 1988), while peak pippen only made the Bulls a good defensive team (#6 in 1994)

88' Pippen averaged 7 ppg in 20 minutes off the bench (0.7 bpg versus Jordan's 1.4..... 1.2 spg vs Jordan's 2.8).. his impact was minimal.

AirBonner
12-16-2019, 08:22 PM
Giannis just needs a teammate now that is equal to or better than him defensively like MJ had with Pippen

MaxPlayer
12-16-2019, 09:16 PM
Wake me when Middleton makes a top 50 list

Smoke117
12-16-2019, 09:17 PM
Congratulations to Giannis on officially becoming a threat to Jordan.

:roll: :roll: That's exactly what I thought when I read the title of this thread. 3ball is such a nutcase. I bet in 10 years he'll still be doing this shit on ish.

Rico2016
12-16-2019, 10:29 PM

Doesn't LeBron have a higher career FG%, eFG, and TS% than Joran in regular season and playoffs? :lol

tanibanana
12-16-2019, 10:47 PM
Coach Phil outweighs Giannis 2nd-4th support.

3ball
12-16-2019, 11:18 PM
Coach Phil outweighs Giannis 2nd-4th support.
Really?

because MJ was the goat candidate in 1990 and 91' when he won his first championship, while Phil was the 1st-time nobody coach

MJ put Phil on the map and the rest is history.. MJ made Phil, not the other way around.. Phil is lucky he wasn't coaching Lebron instead, who would've shown Phil and his no-point-guard, equal-opportunity offense the door

btw, Budenholzer (or whatever his name is) is kicking ass as a coach, so you're even more wrong than originally thought.

AirBonner
12-17-2019, 12:01 AM
Really?

because MJ was the goat candidate in 1990 and 91' when he won his first championship, while Phil was the 1st-time nobody coach

MJ put Phil on the map and the rest is history.. MJ made Phil, not the other way around.. Phil is lucky he wasn't coaching Lebron instead, who would've shown Phil and his no-point-guard, equal-opportunity offense the door

btw, Budenholzer (or whatever his name is) is kicking ass as a coach, so you're even more wrong than originally thought.
MJ chips without Phil: 0
Phil chips without MJ: 5

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

tanibanana
12-17-2019, 09:55 AM
Really?

You needed to type all this sh!t to reply on my one sentence argument.
And you still got beaten. :roll:

Vino24
12-17-2019, 03:39 PM
MJ chips without Phil: 0
Phil chips without MJ: 5

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Yikes! 3ball any response? :lol