PDA

View Full Version : Has any player ever had less help than Dwight Howard?

72-10
12-16-2019, 08:27 PM
I mean, seriously, his best option for a while was a no-defense Rashard Lewis. Howard had pretty much no defensive help with Orlando and had to beast every game for them to win. How many All-Stars or potential Hall of Famers has this man played with?

NBAGOAT
12-16-2019, 08:30 PM
well orlando ranged from mediocre to good. Mainly those 2 years with rashard, hedo, nelson or vince, rashard, nelson. he did also play with kobe and harden however and usually gets most of the blame for the 2013 team failing.

Smoke117
12-16-2019, 08:32 PM
Dwight had plenty of help offensively. When the Magic got to the finals he had Hedo, Lewis, and Jameer Nelson and they were all good players. Back then that was decent help. In general, they just tried to put a bunch of 3pt shooters around him and that seemed to work relatively well.

stalkerforlife
12-16-2019, 08:33 PM
Dwight had plenty of help offensively. When the Magic got to the finals he had Hedo, Lewis, and Jameer Nelson and they were all good players. Back then that was decent help.

:roll:

Bransvestites. :facepalm

Bran loses to Dwight as the favorite and suddenly Turkeyglue is Luka Doncic.

SouBeachTalents
12-16-2019, 08:41 PM
McGrady

HylianNightmare
12-16-2019, 08:43 PM
As a somewhat pessimistic magic fan I have never really faulted Dwight for wanting to leave maybe the way he went about it wasn't the best but the best help he ever had was rashad Lewis to mere Nelson and old Vince Carter or an old Jason Richardson pick which ever one you think it was you're telling me you have a 3 time defensive player of the year holding down the paint like no 1 else in the NBA could at the time and the best wing help you could give him was 1 of those bums I would want to leave to

RRR3
12-16-2019, 08:43 PM
McGrady
His supporting casts in Orlando were a disgrace.

Smoke117
12-16-2019, 08:45 PM
:roll:

Bransvestites. :facepalm

Bran loses to Dwight as the favorite and suddenly Turkeyglue is Luka Doncic.

...right. Howard had better offensive help in 2009 than LeBron did. The difference is, that in general, LeBron just had about 10 times the bigger impact offensively. I'm sure Bran would rather have had Lewis, Hedo, and Nelson instead of Mo, Ilgauskas, and Delonte.

stalkerforlife
12-16-2019, 08:46 PM
...right. Howard had better offensive help in 2009 than LeBron did. The difference is, that in general, LeBron just had about 10 times the bigger impact offensively. I'm sure Bran would have rather have had Lewis, Hedo, and Helson instead of Mo, Ilgauskas, and Delonte.

Lost as the favorite.

You're a liar.

72-10
12-16-2019, 08:48 PM
McGrady

:applause:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
TMac's definitely up there.

I'll throw 1994 Hakeem in there too. I'm not all about "statz!!!" but his second best player was probably...Vernon Maxwell. 14-4-4 on 38% FG - 69% FT in the postseason.

The fact Hakeem led THAT team to a ring is STILL improbable.

stalkerforlife
...right. Howard had better offensive help in 2009 than LeBron did. The difference is, that in general, LeBron just had about 10 times the bigger impact offensively. I'm sure Bran would rather have had Lewis, Hedo, and Nelson instead of Mo, Ilgauskas, and Delonte.

Nelson didn't even play in that series, you pathological liar.

:facepalm

SouBeachTalents
His supporting casts in Orlando were a disgrace.
WOAT level. It

Smoke117
12-16-2019, 08:50 PM
Nelson didn't even play in that series, you pathological liar.

:facepalm

Yeah, and he still got more help in that series than LeBron did.

stalkerforlife
12-16-2019, 08:50 PM
Bran shit the bed with hero ball while Dwight made the simple passes out of doubles that eventually led to open shots.

Bran ball destroyed the Cavs that series.

Kblaze8855
12-16-2019, 08:51 PM
Go read the 02 and 03 Magic rosters and remember grant hill played like 45 minutes.

NBAGOAT
12-16-2019, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=SouBeachTalents]WOAT level. It

72-10
12-16-2019, 08:52 PM

Ilgauskas also actually provided some defensive help unlike some ppl.

FultzNationRISE
Bran shit the bed with hero ball while Dwight made the simple passes out of doubles that eventually led to open shots.

Bran ball destroyed the Cavs that series.

Okay, so he lost a playoff series.

Is there a player we should be aware of who played 17 seasons and never lost a playoff series?

Like... what is the actual point you're making? Is there one? :lol

Smoke117
mcgrady did have yao for awhile however. Orlando was truly awful but it was 4 years. I would throw out KG then who had one pretty good roster out of 10 years in minnesota.

Yeah, KG easily had it worse than Tmac during his youth and prime years.

stalkerforlife
12-16-2019, 08:54 PM
Okay, so he lost a playoff series.

Is there a player we should be aware of who played 17 seasons and never lost a playoff series?

Like... what is the actual point you're making? Is there one? :lol

Lost as the favorite.

Shit the bed.

Hero stat ball destroyed another team.

Could only win with super teams.

72-10
12-16-2019, 08:54 PM
it was 1 in, 4 out for Orlando, and it was predicated on the notion that Dwight would draw a double team, and it practically won them the chip

RRR3
12-16-2019, 08:58 PM

I'll throw 1994 Hakeem in there too. I'm not all about "statz!!!" but his second best player was probably...Vernon Maxwell. 14-4-4 on 38% FG - 69% FT in the postseason.

Pretty sure Otis Thorpe, Kenny Smith and Robert Horry were better than Maxwell.

FireDavidKahn
12-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Huh?

His supporting casts in Orlando were pretty good.

RRR3
12-16-2019, 08:59 PM
mcgrady did have yao for awhile however. Orlando was truly awful but it was 4 years. I would throw out KG then who had one pretty good roster out of 10 years in minnesota.
McGrady’s prime was over after 05 though.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-16-2019, 09:03 PM
Pretty sure Otis Thorpe, Kenny Smith and Robert Horry were better than Maxwell.

I'm not.

11-2-4 on 46% FG - 81% FT - Kenny Smith
12-6-4 on 43% FG - 77% FT - Robert Horry
11-10-2 on 57% FG - 57% FT - Otis Thorpe

You could argue Otis Thrope because of his rebounding and defense. Mad Max was also a good defender though.

Historically? That's still a rough "supporting cast".

RRR3
12-16-2019, 09:06 PM

Maxwell was inefficient and his advanced stats are bad.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Maxwell was inefficient and his advanced stats are bad.

Most of Hakeem's help was bad.

Clyde
12-16-2019, 09:11 PM

Drexler, Cassel, Ellie, The Jet

...come on dude

FKAri
12-16-2019, 09:11 PM
That 09 Magic team was anomalous. All the shooters on that team had a noticeable drop off after that season. They were all major disappointments on their next contracts (Jameer and Hedo especially). Makes one wonder how much of their season and especially their playoff run was sustainable. The team ran on the dynamic of Dwight + 4 red hot shooters which is the perfect fit for him. It made everyone look better than they were individually. I guess the league was still in its infancy of figuring out the 3pt bonanza.

Shogon
12-16-2019, 09:13 PM
Tracy McGrady had less help than probably anyone at their peak/true prime. The Orlando casts were absolutely putrid. Dwight had way more help than McGrady ever thought of, all the way from the coach down to the bench.

Doc Rivers was absolute ass.

Doc, to me, has always done best with guys that are natural hustlers... he gets the most out of them usually. He's never had defensive and offensive strategy that was just something to be marveled at.

Yeah, McGrady had Yao but they were both breaking down together by the time they teamed up, and Yao was playing in a time before bigs were constantly camped out on the perimeter... yet he shot a decent amount of jumpers.

Smoke117
12-16-2019, 09:14 PM
Most of Hakeem's help was bad.

Not really. Thorpe, Horry, Smith, Cassell were solid players. They weren't stars, but they weren't bad players. His help wasn't really any worse than the Bulls or Knicks. Those teams are all pretty similar in how they were defensive teams with one star and then a bunch of role players.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-16-2019, 09:15 PM
Drexler, Cassel, Ellie, The Jet

...come on dude

Drexler wasn't on the 94 team.

Those other guys were decent. Cassell was a rookie and definitely better the following year. 1995.

FireDavidKahn
12-16-2019, 09:27 PM
Tracy McGrady had less help than probably anyone at their peak/true prime. The Orlando casts were absolutely putrid. Dwight had way more help than McGrady ever thought of, all the way from the coach down to the bench.

Doc Rivers was absolute ass.

Doc, to me, has always done best with guys that are natural hustlers... he gets the most out of them usually. He's never had defensive and offensive strategy that was just something to be marveled at.

Yeah, McGrady had Yao but they were both breaking down together by the time they teamed up, and Yao was playing in a time before bigs were constantly camped out on the perimeter... yet he shot a decent amount of jumpers.
KG.

FireDavidKahn
12-16-2019, 09:31 PM
That 09 Magic team was anomalous. All the shooters on that team had a noticeable drop off after that season. They were all major disappointments on their next contracts (Jameer and Hedo especially). Makes one wonder how much of their season and especially their playoff run was sustainable. The team ran on the dynamic of Dwight + 4 red hot shooters which is the perfect fit for him. It made everyone look better than they were individually. I guess the league was still in its infancy of figuring out the 3pt bonanza.
Good post. That 09 team was so stacked when you take depth into account. He didn't have a "star" next to him but he probably had the deepest team in the league.

Just look at this roster.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/2010.html

DMAVS41
12-16-2019, 09:48 PM
Good post. That 09 team was so stacked when you take depth into account. He didn't have a "star" next to him but he probably had the deepest team in the league.

Just look at this roster.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/2010.html

Didn't Lewis and Hedo...or at least one of them...get busted for PED's after that run as well?

FireDavidKahn
12-16-2019, 09:55 PM
Didn't Lewis and Hedo...or at least one of them...get busted for PED's after that run as well?
I don't remember when that happened I but remember hearing the nickname Roidshard Lewis a few times:lol