PDA

View Full Version : Yi to demand a trade?

Pages : [1] 2

Put Back Dunk
06-29-2007, 05:44 AM
Yi's handlers did everything they could to keep him away from Milwaukee. The Bucks were not permitted to attend any of Yi's workouts and GM Larry Harris did not travel to China to see Yi play in person. According to league sources, Yi's representatives will ask the Bucks to trade Yi on Friday
LINK (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/chris_mannix/06/29/draft.rehash/1.html)

Heretik32
06-29-2007, 06:05 AM
Way to build yourself an early reputation in the league...

EuJazz
06-29-2007, 06:08 AM
AK for YI!!! :D

bigkingsfan
06-29-2007, 06:26 AM
It's his life, let him do what he wants. He made it clear he didn't want to go to the Bucks.

xtrm
06-29-2007, 06:26 AM
just like kobe who doesn't want to play for the hornets

Kebab Stall
06-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Why doesn't this guy want to play for the small market teams? He said he didn't want to play for Memphis then Phili and now Milwaukee, what's up? Does he think that he's gonna be a great player and deserves to be on a great team?

AtTheDriveIn
06-29-2007, 06:28 AM
just like kobe who doesn't want to play for the hornets

Or maybe the Lakers were clearing room to sign Shaq by getting rid of Vlade. Get your **** straight.

BradMiller52
06-29-2007, 06:30 AM
This is Petrie's chance to redeem himself! COME ON GEOFF DO IT. Hawes+Ron Ron to Milwaukee for Yi+Skinner.

FYI Yi already said he liked the Kings and Sacramento.:)

RoseCity07
06-29-2007, 06:36 AM
I already didn't like this guy, now he is just a douche. He has no right to demand anything because he hasn't done anything. I wish he could get a big BAN stamped on his passport and NBA documents. He deserves to get his ass booted out of the league for that. This is the NBA not that weak **** he played in China you have to prove yourself here.

I hope he gets booed every where he plays. Guy is a troll.

silencespeak
06-29-2007, 06:38 AM
the chinese gov't is ****ed up. they're trying to control moves here too? nuh uh. suck it up and be a man, you're the 6th pick in the NB****ingA. be happy.

lowblok
06-29-2007, 06:48 AM
The Bucks need to send Jack Bauer to talk to Yi and his reps!!

RoseCity07
06-29-2007, 06:54 AM
The Bucks need to send Jack Bauer to talk to Yi and his reps!!

lol

DCL
06-29-2007, 02:23 PM
hope the bucks don't do sh!t and punish his ass by keeping him.

bigboi_baller
06-29-2007, 02:30 PM
This is Petrie's chance to redeem himself! COME ON GEOFF DO IT. Hawes+Ron Ron to Milwaukee for Yi+Skinner.

Do it Geoff. I'd send Miller/Hawes for Yi/Skinner and see if he goes for it. I mean BM could be a great tutor for Bogut.

I don't see how Yi fits on the Bucks at all. I mean his game seems too similar to CV to be effective.

bigboi_baller
06-29-2007, 02:30 PM
They basically punish themselves by doing that.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
06-29-2007, 02:32 PM
What a damn cry baby, just shut up and play for the team who drafted you. Damn the Bucks weren't looking to bad with him.

Moe Williams, Redd, Villanueva, Yi and Bogut.

bigboi_baller
06-29-2007, 02:33 PM
What a damn cry baby, just shut up and play for the team who drafted you. Damn the Bucks weren't looking to bad with him.

Moe Williams, Redd, Villanueva, Yi and Bogut.
They probably would have been a playoff team if it wasn't for injuries last season.

Perezident
06-29-2007, 02:45 PM

this is his chance but we are so unlucky these past couple years

how sweet would this be!....smt its not going to happen

Yi please come to us

GOBB
06-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Or maybe the Lakers were clearing room to sign Shaq by getting rid of Vlade. Get your **** straight.

:roll: What a load of BS!!!!!!!!!! Its a FACT Kobe dictated where he wanted to go. LEt me guess some idiot on a Lakers fan msgboard typed it, you read and bought it? I got a car without an engine to sell you. PM me.

Lebron23
06-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Milwaukee may face obstacles to get top pick Yi on team

Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Bucks said they've made a global impact by selecting Yi Jianlian.

But that's only if they can get Yi, selected with the sixth pick in the NBA draft, to a city his handlers had shunned in the weeks leading up to Thursday night.

Disregarding his desire to play in a city with a heavy Asian influence -- there are only about 27,500 Asian Americans in Milwaukee -- the Bucks picked the 6-foot-11 forward to become the fourth Chinese player to make the NBA.

The question is whether he'll ever wear a Bucks uniform.

"I think so," Yi said. "It's a surprise to me. ... I'm not really familiar with the city as well, but I'm happy to be playing with the team and happy to play in the NBA."

Bucks general manager Larry Harris said Yi was rated third on the Bucks' draft board, and will showcase Milwaukee to China.

"It's global now," Harris said. "Chinese basketball is huge and it's growing and to have one of their countrymen that is actually very, very good and can play and is young and can be here for a long time, I don't know how it's not a windfall for us."

Yi is not scheduled to appear in Milwaukee, but instead will join the Chinese national team and scrimmage on Sunday and Tuesday in Dallas before heading to Las Vegas to play in the NBA summer league.

Harris said he wasn't sure if he'd meet with Yi's representatives in Dallas or Las Vegas, but that playing for the national team is Yi's priority.

"Based on timing, there wasn't any way to get him in here," Harris said. "I don't want anybody to be misled that that's a bad thing. Certainly we would encourage him to come here as soon as he could."

Questions about his defense, strength and age also surround Yi Jianlian (pronounced EE TEE-an-LEE-an), who has been protected by handlers who wanted him in a city like Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia or the Bay area.

Agent Dan Fegan did not allow the Bucks to hold a private workout or see Yi, but did allow teams as low as the Sixers, with the 12th pick, to take a look at one of the draft's most unknown talents during a workout in Los Angeles. Harris said Philadelphia was among several teams that called and tried to trade for the pick.

Harris said Fegan was surprised at the Bucks' pick.

"He was shocked," Harris said. "I told him several weeks ago that we're going to take the best player. ... We think he's one of the best players and if he turns out to be the best one at six, we're going to take him."

Fegan did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Yi said the Bucks never watched him workout in China, either, but Harris said that wasn't accurate.

"We felt comfortable from our standpoint, we did not need to go out there to confirm or deny our own feelings about Yi as a player," Harris said of the Los Angeles workout. "We spent a week in Qatar to see him play. ... We saw him in Japan for the World Championships. We saw him in the Olympics two years ago. We've been to China. We've estimated we've seen him over 20 times in the last four years. Rest assured, we know him."

Fan reaction at the Bradley Center, where the Bucks play, was mixed -- with about half the crowd standing and cheering.

His English is basic, but better than Yao Ming's when he was picked five years ago. Yi has been in the United States for several weeks adjusting, and unlike the three Chinese who played before him -- Yao, Wang Zhizhi and Mengke Bateer, he was on hand to witness his selection.

"I played for a national team for a couple of years, I think I'm ready," Yi said.

Yi has a deft shooting touch from the wing, soft hands and an athletic body in the mold of Pau Gasol of the Memphis Grizzlies. But some teams shied away from him because of the influence to put him in a large Asian market.

"I was really surprised they took Yi, mostly because I was getting the same faxes they were getting," said Kevin McHale, vice president of basketball operations for the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The Chinese Basketball Association lists Yi's birthday as Oct. 27, 1987 -- which would make him 19 at draft time. But he has long been rumored older.

Yi played on China's 2004 Olympic team and 2006 world championship team. In the Chinese league this season, he averaged 25 points and 12 rebounds with the Guangdong Tigers.

In 2004, Del Harris coached the National Team of China and watched Yi develop.

"When my father was coaching him on the Chinese national team, they thought he was going to be a small forward," Larry Harris said. "Now his body has grown. He's 238 pounds, he's a legitimate power forward that not only can score, but can really shoot the ball outside."

Yi appears to fit in well with the Bucks, who stumbled to the third-worst record in the league last season after injuries to four of five starters. If Milwaukee is able to keep free agent guard Mo Williams, Yi would join a rotation that includes Michael Redd, forwards Bobby Simmons and Charlie Villanueva and center Andrew Bogut, the No. 1 pick in the 2005 draft.

The Bucks also picked 6-foot-3 point guard Ronald Sessions in the second round with the 56th overall pick. Sessions was a pass-first point guard at Nevada that they hope to develop.

The team also could make a run at signing free agent Chauncey Billups, a veteran who expressed interest last year in signing with Milwaukee.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2920483

Qwyjibo
06-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Yi should have been ready for the risk of going to such a city. If he wants to be in the NBA then he has to go through the draft process and good thing it doesn't cater to the wants of the incoming players. Beggars can't be choosers.

He can still go play basketball back in China or Europe or wherever if he doesn't like Milwaukee. This isn't stopping him from making a living playing basketball.

cdot11
06-29-2007, 03:37 PM
I dont understand why everyone is bashing this guy. Arent his reps the ones in control of all of this or does HE, himself, actually want a trade? The Bucks are the idiots for taking him and trying to call China's bluff.

thenextgreatbigman
06-29-2007, 03:41 PM
i'd like to see him get traded for a lot of **** and SUCK ASS, look like skita.

Rockets(T-mac)
06-29-2007, 03:45 PM
What a baby suck it up and play for the team that got you or go back to China and play in the CBA.

brantonli
06-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Yi's representatives will ask the Bucks to trade Yi on Friday

I knpow I'm slightly biased, but I'm pretty sure that Yi Jianlian is excited to even get into hte NBA, he's going to play for any old team, but it's the Chinese government that wants him to play for a bigger market team. I'm almost certain of that.

Lebron23
06-29-2007, 03:50 PM

I knpow I'm slightly biased, but I'm pretty sure that Yi Jianlian is excited to even get into hte NBA, he's going to play for any old team, but it's the Chinese government that wants him to play for a bigger market team. I'm almost certain of that.

I hope Yi Jianlian will play for the Dallas Mavericks or Sacramento Kings make it happen Chinese Goverment send Yi to a much worthy team.

Big One
06-29-2007, 03:52 PM
I dont understand why everyone is bashing this guy. Arent his reps the ones in control of all of this or does HE, himself, actually want a trade? The Bucks are the idiots for taking him and trying to call China's bluff.

i agree, i don't think it's actually him calling all the shots. It is the people back home. It's them who we should be blaming.

Rockets(T-mac)

Even if thats true it will still hurt his rep for a while.

dhenk
Why doesn't this guy want to play for the small market teams? He said he didn't want to play for Memphis then Phili and now Milwaukee, what's up? Does he think that he's gonna be a great player and deserves to be on a great team?

I think it`s the chinese gov`t who wants to see him in a big chinese market,not necessarily a big market...it`s much more politics thn you might think...
I

SJellen
06-29-2007, 03:53 PM
so lets say hes on the block, whats his value?

Yi for artest

Yi for 1st and a second rounder?

Lebron23
06-29-2007, 03:55 PM
so lets say hes on the block, whats his value?

Yi for artest

Yi for 1st and a second rounder?

Sacto- Bucks Trade

Yi Jianlian, Brian Skinner, 2nd round pick for Spencer Hawes, Ron Artest and John Salmons. That would be a good and perfectly balance deal.

JalenRawley
06-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Way to build yourself an early reputation in the league...

It's no different than Steve Francis or Kobe Bryant. Exact same thing, except that Francis wanted to be closer to home (as if Houston was) and Bryant would ONLY play for the Lakers.

Yi wants to go to a place with a large Chinese population so that he can ease his assimilation into living in the US. It doesn't have to be a large market, it doesn't have to be a specific market, just a market with enough Chinese people around that he can feel a little taste of home, and who knows, maybe even start a little bit of a fanbase. I don't think that's too much for a player to ask. Before he was drafted, he didn't want any part of the Bucks for this reason. If you're the Bucks, you have to have an IQ of .5 to draft a player who doesn't want to be in your city. "Oh, we'll make him." Yeah? And he can just go stay in China, and you wasted the #6 pick in the deepest draft in a decade. Not only that, but wouldn't you want to help ease the transition of a new player coming in from a completely different country? Wouldn't you take that into account, because it's obviously going to affect how well he plays the game. He's already got to learn a different language and a different game style, and now you're going to make him learn how to live in a completely different culture in Wisconsin? In Wis-****ing-consin? The land of white, fat, ignorant, racist, bigoted cheeseheads? McCarthyLand?

Dumbest pick in the draft, unless they were only picking him as trade bait, then it's a pretty smart move. However, I don't see them shopping him around, do you?

JalenRawley
06-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Sacto- Bucks Trade

Yi Jialian, Brian Skinner, Desmond Mason for Spencer Hawes, Ron Artest and John Salmons. That would be a good and perfectly balance deal.

Brilliant.

It's just a shame Desmond Mason plays the the Hornets. But, maybe they'll let the Bucks borrow him, eh?

VeeCee15
06-29-2007, 04:07 PM
If you look at the grand scheme of things,

Yi going to a large market is good for basketball (i mean the sport of basketball) in a global sense. Not to mention that it is a wise business move. I'm sure Yi's agent and all his backers
want to maximize their cash and popularity cow.

I dont think Yi minds playing anywhere. I mean, the dood has been playing 4+ years in the CBA lol.

Mathius
06-29-2007, 04:08 PM
I already didn't like this guy, now he is just a douche. He has no right to demand anything because he hasn't done anything. I wish he could get a big BAN stamped on his passport and NBA documents. He deserves to get his ass booted out of the league for that. This is the NBA not that weak **** he played in China you have to prove yourself here.

I hope he gets booed every where he plays. Guy is a troll.

This "douche" was dunking all over the US national team that is supposed to be made up of the NBA's BEST players, and the best the US has to offer.

Thank you. The Bucks are the real morons here. They were barred from seeing the guy play because the chinese gov't is obviously involved and didn't want him playing for the Bucks, but the Bucks go and draft him anyways?

How stupid can you be to not see this coming?

And you idiots are insulting this guy? Why? It's not like he's the first player who's ever held out because they didn't like their team, or demanded a trade, etc.

In fact, Glenn Robinson held out his rookie year against the Bucks.... for more money!

This Yi guy has big political ramifications for China, and you guys are *****ing at him, because a team took him that China wouldn't let him play for.

You're lucky to see these guys play at all. When Toni Kukoc and Dina Radja were drafted it was a good 4-5 years before they actually got to play for their respective teams.

[QUOTE=dhenk]I think it`s the chinese gov`t who wants to see him in a big chinese market,not necessarily a big market...it`s much more politics thn you might think...
I

supraman
06-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Yi's reps want some big money, CBA wants money, so they want him in a big city.

Qwyjibo
06-29-2007, 04:16 PM
What the hell is wrong with all these ISH idiots, who think that everything has to be done the way the US does it.

Because this is how the draft system is set up. If he didn't want to risk going to Milwaukee then he should have stayed in China or gone to Europe to play.

What would happen if all players (or their reps) started doing this crap? Greg Oden says "you know what? I'd rather play for a playoff team, Portland better not pick me". Or Durant does the same thing? There is a reason this draft system with the teams getting the rights to the players is in place. And again, it's not preventing the players from making a living playing basketball either. Playing in the NBA is a privilege, not a right.

Milwaukee took the best talent available and he should be expected to report and play for them. Milwaukee could explore trade options but should feel no pressure to get anything done that screws them over.

reppy
06-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Exactly. China is obviously the ones pulling the strings here. What the hell is wrong with all these ISH idiots, who think that everything has to be done the way the US does it.

Because it completely destroys the integrity of the draft process. Instead of worrying about "is this the best pick for my team or the best talent available", GMs have to worry, "oh no, is he going to whine and cry because it rains too much here or because he doesn't feel like he'll assimilate easily?"

As far as I'm concerned, if that's the game he wants to play then he can stay in China. If you want to make the big bucks, then shut your mouth and suck it up.

"Oh no, I'm making MILLIONS to play a game in a city I don't like! SOMEONE CRY ME A ****ING RIVER, PLEASE!"

We shouldn't be giving into the demands of the Chinese government, anyways. Can you imagine if this was the American government doing something like this? "Oh, the American government is so arrogant! They think they can just do whatever they want!"

JalenRawley
06-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Because this is how the draft system is set up. If he didn't want to risk going to Milwaukee then he should have stayed in China or gone to Europe to play.

What would happen if all players (or their reps) started doing this crap? Greg Oden says "you know what? I'd rather play for a playoff team, Portland better not pick me". Or Durant does the same thing? There is a reason this draft system with the teams getting the rights to the players is in place. And again, it's not preventing the players from making a living playing basketball either. Playing in the NBA is a privilege, not a right.

Milwaukee took the best talent available and he should be expected to report and play for them. Milwaukee could explore trade options but should feel no pressure to get anything done that screws them over.

So look at it like a job interview. You're in HR, trying to hire a full time employee, and you have a little of applicants. One in particular doesn't even show up for the interview. You talk to his previous employers, and they tell you he's looking for something different than what you're offering. He obviously doesn't want to work for you. So, you hire him anyway, he's unhappy, he doesn't give 100%, he calls in sick a lot, and you think he pretends to understand a little less English than he really does, especially at key moments. Is this what you wanted? A half-assed employee? Is this what you're spending your money on?

Now, imagine the CFO looking over the reports, and he sees that this new guy isn't doing a damn thing. Everyone in the company, even the shareholders are complaining about this guy. What idiot would hire someone like this? Looking deeper into the hiring process, you see that the guy didn't even want to be here, and the moron in HR still hired him. So, they end up getting rid of the employee at their own cost, most likely firing the guy from HR, and if the CEO gets wind of it, the CFO might lose his job too.

What does this mean? Pick the right person for the job. Don't pick the wrong person and force them to do the job, you're -NEVER- going to get positive results that way. This is just common sense, but common sense is about as common as skinny Mensan in Wisconsin.

Mathius
06-29-2007, 04:38 PM

Because of two things.

Number one, when you're dealing with an international player, you can't expect to follow the rules of just one country, or just the league. China has its own set of rules and expectations. You have to respect that and work within that.

Number two. There's nothing stopping a player like Oden from holding out. The fact of the matter is, it could happen with every player drafted.

The only source of checks and balances on that, is simply that if you don't play you don't get paid.

So if a guy is ok with not being paid, then that's his choice and he can do whatever he wants.

If you guys as fans are pissed about that, how do you think they feel, being pretty much forced to live and play somewhere they don't want to?

Mathius

reppy
06-29-2007, 04:41 PM
If you guys as fans are pissed about that, how do you think they feel, being pretty much forced to live and play somewhere they don't want to?

It's the draft. You don't have a say in where you go. It's like me being pissed off I didn't win the million dollar jackpot in the lottery. Except in this case, they won millions and they're just whiny because they don't like the city. Oh no! Guess what? I don't like my job either. Get over it, cry baby.

JalenRawley
06-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Because it completely destroys the integrity of the draft process. Instead of worrying about "is this the best pick for my team or the best talent available", GMs have to worry, "oh no, is he going to whine and cry because it rains too much here or because he doesn't feel like he'll assimilate easily?"

As far as I'm concerned, if that's the game he wants to play then he can stay in China. If you want to make the big bucks, then shut your mouth and suck it up.

"Oh no, I'm making MILLIONS to play a game in a city I don't like! SOMEONE CRY ME A ****ING RIVER, PLEASE!"

We shouldn't be giving into the demands of the Chinese government, anyways. Can you imagine if this was the American government doing something like this? "Oh, the American government is so arrogant! They think they can just do whatever they want!"

Um, newsflash: The American government has been doing this in just about every single way you can possibly describe since the late 1800s. Take a look at a few presidential doctrines over the years if you don't believe me.

And again, what you're describing is EXACTLY what Steve Francis and Kobe Bryant did, not what Yi Jianlian is doing right now. He's not whining because he doesn't like Milwaukee. He's not whining because the weather isn't nice. He said FROM THE BEGINNING that he wanted to be in a city with a large Chinese population. That's it. That's -not- too much to ask for someone who has grown up in China, to want to be in a city with people he can relate to.

Did people get this ignorance over Francis and Bryant? No, of course not. They weren't Chinese. They were just arrogant, spoiled Americans, and both were appeased immediately.

eeeeeebro
06-29-2007, 04:42 PM
The Nba is too big and some teams are going to be non competative for a long time. This is a business and some players do not benifit from a non media team. There are jersies and contracts that pay more than NBA salaries pay. That alone makes some teams not wanted by players.

cdot11
06-29-2007, 04:42 PM

The thing is China dosent care what people think and they'll do what they want. Im not taking sides but it is meesed up that China is potentially keeping this guy from playing in the NBA.

Qwyjibo
06-29-2007, 04:43 PM
So look at it like a job interview. You're in HR, trying to hire a full time employee, and you have a little of applicants. One in particular doesn't even show up for the interview. You talk to his previous employers, and they tell you he's looking for something different than what you're offering. He obviously doesn't want to work for you. So, you hire him anyway, he's unhappy, he doesn't give 100%, he calls in sick a lot, and you think he pretends to understand a little less English than he really does, especially at key moments. Is this what you wanted? A half-assed employee? Is this what you're spending your money on?

Now, imagine the CFO looking over the reports, and he sees that this new guy isn't doing a damn thing. Everyone in the company, even the shareholders are complaining about this guy. What idiot would hire someone like this? Looking deeper into the hiring process, you see that the guy didn't even want to be here, and the moron in HR still hired him. So, they end up getting rid of the employee at their own cost, most likely firing the guy from HR, and if the CEO gets wind of it, the CFO might lose his job too.

What does this mean? Pick the right person for the job. Don't pick the wrong person and force them to do the job, you're -NEVER- going to get positive results that way. This is just common sense, but common sense is about as common as skinny Mensan in Wisconsin.

All true but I think everyone assumes that the PLAYER in this case wouldn't dog it as it would seriously hurt his future prospects once his rookie deal is done.

In my naive thinking here, I'm also hoping Milwaukee "bites the bullet" of sorts and shows players/representatives that kind of stuff cannot happen. Similar to what happened in the NHL with Alexei Yashin. He didn't want to play out his contract and his team said it would be a breach of contract.

Yi and his people should have no leverage when it comes to the draft or like the other poster mentioned, it will ruin the integrity of the draft (which IMO is a solid system).

And people did criticize Francis for his moves and still do to this day. Vancouver simply caved into the pressure quickly.

reppy
06-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Did people get this ignorance over Francis and Bryant? No, of course not. They weren't Chinese. They were just arrogant, spoiled Americans, and both were appeased immediately.

Are you ****ing retarded? Yes they did. You don't know anything about the topic you're discussing. People still give those 2 players plenty of **** for demanding a trade.

Quit acting like everything is just American ignorance. Yes, it's ignorant to say someone should do a job where they get paid millions of dollars even though they're pouting because there aren't as many Chinese people living there as they'd like.

Sorry man, but you don't get to hold the draft for ransom. If he wants to live with Chinese people that bad, he can stay in China. Simple solution. Leave the draft out of it.

JalenRawley
06-29-2007, 04:46 PM
It's the draft. You don't have a say in where you go. It's like me being pissed off I didn't win the million dollar jackpot in the lottery. Except in this case, they won millions and they're just whiny because they don't like the city. Oh no! Guess what? I don't like my job either. Get over it, cry baby.

If you think that you don't have a say in where you go, you know absolutely zero about the draft process. About the workouts, about all of the discussions behind closed doors. About all of the handshake, wink-wink-nudge-nudge deals. About all of the manipulation, deceit, and underhanded tactics that go on.

Plenty of players have had the power to choose where they went. Teams can always draft you anyway, but only the dumbest of the dumb draft people that don't want anything to do with them. Yeah, you can still draft 'em, but what happens when they go play elsewhere? What happens when they play half-assed for you? What happens when they force a trade down the line for pennies on the dollar? I'll tell you what happens: YOU get screwed, not the player who didn't want to be there in the first place. You aren't going to punish them, YOU lose.

If Yi Jianlian refused to play in Milwaukee, who loses? It won't be Yi, he'll play elsewhere. Sure, he won't make as much money, but there's always money to be made.

Milwaukee won't suddenly get a "do over" for the 6th pick.

cdot11
06-29-2007, 04:46 PM

Not really, because the lottery is based on luck. Making the NBA is based on talent and hard work.

GOBB
06-29-2007, 04:47 PM

I see the point you tried to make but the example you used isnt similar to getting drafted in the NBA. Players entering the draft should not be allowed to dictate where they want to go. Thats the problem. You're a talented athlete who can help my franchise but I cant pick you because you want to tell me certain teams you will play for? I mean come on...you've proven nothing in your life when it comes to being an NBA player. Bad enough your contract is guranteed. But you want to run the show as well? Sure its easy to say "Well then dont draft him"...well then someone behind me will and get a f*cking GEM. And how is that fair? I have to take a lower rated player hope he pans out and is as good if not BETTER than Yi because this persons "handlers" want to tell the league who he will and wont play for? Its ridiculous. Its a privilege, an honor to be DRAFTED. If we got people wanting to tell you who they play for and who not? Scrap the draft...first come first serve. Hey Al Horford...you wont get drafted so find an NBA team you want to play for. Ask them to sign you. Yo Mike wanna play with Greg? Hey package deal to a team you like. What you're both Cavs fans? Excellant.

I can see the whole idea of "Why would you want someone not on your team then? Skip them", but I can see why people frown on spoiled brats (Eli Manning, Kobe, STeve) or bad counseling (n Yi's case cuz i read he doesnt care about playing for Milw). As reppy mentioned it kills the integrity of the draft process entirely. And this isnt reserved for the NBA. Major sports teams have been victims of a select few pricks. But I'm not gonna spend too much time bashing Yi's peoples or whatever...in the end? Its whatever to me.

Philly wouldnt mind Yi. :D

T-Low
06-29-2007, 04:47 PM
So Steve Francis I mean Yi is lookin for a trade...thats awesome...

reppy
06-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Not really, because the lottery is based on luck. Making the NBA is based on talent and hard work.

But it takes talent and hard work to make money to buy lotto tickets!

If he doesn't like it, he can wait until he's a free agent and then sign elsewhere. Tough break.

T-Low
06-29-2007, 04:49 PM

Yeah, lotto tickets aren't workin for me....But that would be funny if a millionaire won the lottery....

cdot11
06-29-2007, 04:53 PM

If he doesn't like it, he can wait until he's a free agent and then sign elsewhere. Tough break.

:oldlol: yeah it takes alot of talent for some garbageman or gas station cashier (no offense to anyone) to purchase lotto tickets.

JalenRawley
06-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Are you ****ing retarded? Yes they did. You don't know anything about the topic you're discussing. People still give those 2 players plenty of **** for demanding a trade.

Quit acting like everything is just American ignorance. Yes, it's ignorant to say someone should do a job where they get paid millions of dollars even though they're pouting because there aren't as many Chinese people living there as they'd like.

Sorry man, but you don't get to hold the draft for ransom. If he wants to live with Chinese people that bad, he can stay in China. Simple solution. Leave the draft out of it.

Am I retarded? No, I'd say I've got a pretty good grasp on the situation. I'm not the one freaking out here. And, yeah, I'd feel pretty confidant in saying that I know quite a bit about the topic I'm discussing, as well it shows. I'm also not the one calling someone else "retarded" because they differ with a completely uninformed, heavily biased and ignorant opinion. So, I'm just fine here sitting in the non-retarded section.

I'm acting like everything is American arrogance? That's funny, you're the one that brought it up. I'm just pointing out how it can easily go the other way and be just as relevant. My posts are all right here for you to read, but I understand that reading lots of words is hard, so I'm sure you didn't bother getting information before speaking. It's okay though, I'm sure it's standard operating procedure for you.

Nobody held a gun to Milwaukee's heads and said, "YOU MUST DRAFT YI." His camp refused workouts in certain cities because they didn't want to deal with this issue. They handled things the right way. Are they right for doing it? Not necessarily, but it's understandable to see why they want Yi in a city with more of a Chinese presence.

And again, if he decides to refuse to play for Milwaukee, who gets screwed, Yi or Milwaukee? If he can't force a trade, he can always play in another league. The Bucks can't get their pick back. It's like Fran Vasquez or Frederick Weis. And just like those two picks, you blame the moron GM that picked them, not the picky player who'd rather not be in your city, no matter what their reasoning is.

You can hold the draft ransom. Ask Glenn Robinson. Ask Danny Ferry. This isn't a new thing you know, Yi didn't invent the "I don't want to play in your city" stance because of someone's poor draft choices.

GOBB
06-29-2007, 04:58 PM
So Steve Francis I mean Yi is lookin for a trade...thats awesome...

Who knows if Yi is the driving force??? All thats being reported is how his representatives are pushing for this. This crap has gone beyond basketball. Damn shame you cant draft an asian player because his country, peoples might pull this stunt. Damn shame you cant draft a euro because they are locked in a BS deal where buyouts are insane for some (not all). I mean the Spurs have 2 players on the same team and both have ridiculous buyouts.

You cant even see Scola who some say is the best european player right now because the team he plays for has him handcuffed. By time he comes might be the following season if that. Spent numerous years doing what? Da hell i care about his accomplishments, feats overseas for.

Some times its the players, some times is the people who give them advice pushing it. And some times its a lil of both. I dont think Yi is pushing for this...unless he has statements saying otherwise. And that? I dont know.

Philadelphia has a nice asian population and China town is the shyt. Yi in Phil-yi :banana:

Mathius
06-29-2007, 05:08 PM
You can hold the draft ransom. Ask Glenn Robinson. Ask Danny Ferry. This isn't a new thing you know, Yi didn't invent the "I don't want to play in your city" stance because of someone's poor draft choices.

These guys seem to conveniently overlook that, based on the fact that MOST guys actually don't mind going where they're selected, at least not that much that they want to create waves.

But if more players started doing it, what's the NBA going to do? Say, "well you can't do that because you violate the integrity of the draft?" They can't make people sign a contract. That's the point of a contract.

Free agency was based on one guy deciding he didn't want to play somewhere he wanted to go to another team for more money.

Mathius

Mathius
06-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Who knows if Yi is the driving force??? All thats being reported is how his representatives are pushing for this. This crap has gone beyond basketball. Damn shame you cant draft an asian player because his country, peoples might pull this stunt. Damn shame you cant draft a euro because they are locked in a BS deal where buyouts are insane for some (not all). I mean the Spurs have 2 players on the same team and both have ridiculous buyouts.

Exactly. It's like I said earlier in the thread. It used to take YEARS before an overseas player could be cleared to come to the US and these guys are *****ing because a country won't let some guy play for one team?

How long did it take Toni Kukoc to get his contract cleared to come play for the Bulls? Wasn't he drafted in like 88 and didn't play a pro game until like 94?

Mathius

JalenRawley
06-29-2007, 05:15 PM
I see the point you tried to make but the example you used isnt similar to getting drafted in the NBA.

I agree, it's definitely not a very good translation, but the military draft really didn't apply, and I couldn't really think of anything off the top of my head that wasn't a sports reference.

Players entering the draft should not be allowed to dictate where they want to go. Thats the problem. You're a talented athlete who can help my franchise but I cant pick you because you want to tell me certain teams you will play for? I mean come on...you've proven nothing in your life when it comes to being an NBA player. Bad enough your contract is guranteed. But you want to run the show as well?

But that's just it, they -always- dictate where they go. Shoe companies, endorsement deals, agents, "advisers", "handlers", friends who already work in franchise or friends who are current NBA players, and who knows how many other people out there have an effect on where a player ends up? Hell, according to many David Stern himself is responsible for where a player ends up. And, not only that, but this year has brought the tanking issue back into the media. I only mention that because by tanking, teams are able to dictate where they pick, and therefore who they pick. So there's plenty of people everywhere manipulating and massaging the system. You'll never have a black and white system where nobody determines the outcome in any way, you'll always have that gray area.

Sure its easy to say "Well then dont draft him"...well then someone behind me will and get a f*cking GEM. And how is that fair? I have to take a lower rated player hope he pans out and is as good if not BETTER than Yi because this persons "handlers" want to tell the league who he will and wont play for? Its ridiculous. Its a privilege, an honor to be DRAFTED. If we got people wanting to tell you who they play for and who not? Scrap the draft...first come first serve. Hey Al Horford...you wont get drafted so find an NBA team you want to play for. Ask them to sign you. Yo Mike wanna play with Greg? Hey package deal to a team you like. What you're both Cavs fans? Excellant.

Well, it's not like Yi is going to be the next Jordan. And it's not like there were only six good players in the draft, and if Milwaukee didn't pick Yi they were only going to get the next Serge Zwikker or something.

It's easy to say that it's an honor and a privilege to be drafted, if you can turn your back on all of the people who piss all over that honor and privilege on an annual basis. These days, it's not an honor to be drafted, it's a burden. You've got to jump through a billion hoops, to go through the highly bull**** scouting process, only to have scouts come up with things that have NOTHING to do with reality when compared to you. They gush over crap while they ignore diamonds in the rough. And that also influences who is picked where.

I can see the whole idea of "Why would you want someone not on your team then? Skip them", but I can see why people frown on spoiled brats (Eli Manning, Kobe, STeve) or bad counseling (n Yi's case cuz i read he doesnt care about playing for Milw). As reppy mentioned it kills the integrity of the draft process entirely. And this isnt reserved for the NBA. Major sports teams have been victims of a select few pricks. But I'm not gonna spend too much time bashing Yi's peoples or whatever...in the end? Its whatever to me.

Philly wouldnt mind Yi. :D

That's really the only feasible choice you can make; not to draft them. If you draft them, you're only going to have to deal with bull****. If you don't draft them, you don't have to deal with the bull****. Problem solved. And there are plenty of people they could've picked in his place. And, who knows, maybe Milwaukee only drafted him so they could trade him at a later date, and they're keeping it -really- under wraps. Yeah, I don't think it's likely either, but ya never know.

It's hard to kill the integrity of something that really doesn't have integrity to begin with. Tanking, conspiracy theories, bribery, manipulation, deception.. the NBA draft has as much integrity as dealing drugs.

And yeah, I'm with ya. I really couldn't care less about Yi. The only thing that was of any interest to me about it, was Bill Simmons busting on him for working out against a chair. And, I couldn't care less about Milwaukee either. But it's just funny to see all of the *****ies get their panties in a bunch over something like this, when it's so cut and dried.

If a player doesn't want to come to your city for whatever reason, don't draft him.

Any possible reason that you can come up with for why you should draft him anyway and force him to come to your city will NOT result in a positive outcome, so why bother? Make the intelligent choice and either set up a deal for someone who wants said player, or pick someone else. It's smart, it's safe, and most of all, it makes sense.

FireMcFailPlease
06-29-2007, 05:17 PM
what a *****, i hope he busts

Targus
06-29-2007, 05:22 PM
why WOULD you want to play for the Milwaukee Bucks?

Admiral
06-29-2007, 05:24 PM

co-signed! :cheers:

JalenRawley
06-29-2007, 05:30 PM
All true but I think everyone assumes that the PLAYER in this case wouldn't dog it as it would seriously hurt his future prospects once his rookie deal is done.

In my naive thinking here, I'm also hoping Milwaukee "bites the bullet" of sorts and shows players/representatives that kind of stuff cannot happen. Similar to what happened in the NHL with Alexei Yashin. He didn't want to play out his contract and his team said it would be a breach of contract.

Yi and his people should have no leverage when it comes to the draft or like the other poster mentioned, it will ruin the integrity of the draft (which IMO is a solid system).

And people did criticize Francis for his moves and still do to this day. Vancouver simply caved into the pressure quickly.

It's real tough for a team to to stick to their guns when they're the ones who ultimately lose out by getting little to nothing for their draft pick. At least by caving into their demands you can try and salvage something out of a bad situation. But again, you wouldn't be in a bad situation if you didn't select a player who was going to pull this sort of thing with your team. It's not it's a surprise. It's not like they drafted him, got into training camp, and all of the sudden the players say, "Um, I don't want to be here." Teams know WELL in advance, and they pick 'em anyway. I have zero sympathy for a team that picks against all common sense, unless you're doing it for trade bait of course.

People did criticize Francis, but not to the degree that we're seeing right now. Maybe it's just that there's more of an internet presence now, or maybe it's just that with Milwaukee really close to me, I'm hearing a lot more about it than I did about Francis. But people here worship Kobe to the point of tears, he can do no wrong in so many people's eyes around here, but some of those same people are pointing accusingly at Yi, even though their little hero did WAY WORSE when he was drafted.

Targus
06-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Skinner is garbage but I wouldn't mind Yi if he can play a little bit of the 5.

JalenRawley
06-29-2007, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=Targus

Qwyjibo
06-29-2007, 05:32 PM
It's real tough for a team to to stick to their guns when they're the ones who ultimately lose out by getting little to nothing for their draft pick. At least by caving into their demands you can try and salvage something out of a bad situation. But again, you wouldn't be in a bad situation if you didn't select a player who was going to pull this sort of thing with your team. It's not it's a surprise. It's not like they drafted him, got into training camp, and all of the sudden the players say, "Um, I don't want to be here." Teams know WELL in advance, and they pick 'em anyway. I have zero sympathy for a team that picks against all common sense, unless you're doing it for trade bait of course.

Exactly why I called it my naive hope. As a fan it's easy to say but if I was running the Bucks then I'd definitely be looking for a trade. I wouldn't be in a rush though, I'd want fair value in return.

JalenRawley
06-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Exactly why I called it my naive hope. As a fan it's easy to say but if I was running the Bucks then I'd definitely be looking for a trade. I wouldn't be in a rush though, I'd want fair value in return.

Exactly. There's got to be someone out there who wants a big Chinese guy who can shoot, and can break the ankles right off of a recliner.

Targus
06-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Beer?
got me on that one :cheers:

JalenRawley
06-29-2007, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=Targus

GOBB
06-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Milw is dumb tho....they didnt see the kid, was told Yi wasnt gonna play there, they were offered trades for the pick and yi...they denied them all and went and took Yi. :roll:

Mathius
06-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Exactly. There's got to be someone out there who wants a big Chinese guy who can shoot, and can break the ankles right off of a recliner.

I'm sure there's lots of teams that want him, but when every team in the league knows that he won't play for the Bucks and their hands are tied (if that's really the case), then his trade value automatically drops.

Kind've like the whole Allen Iverson trade.

Mathius

BlackMoses
06-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Milwaukee is the one to blame here. Sure, Yi's representatives are rather arrogant, but it isn't like the Bucks didn't know this going in.

JalenRawley
06-29-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm sure there's lots of teams that want him, but when every team in the league knows that he won't play for the Bucks and their hands are tied (if that's really the case), then his trade value automatically drops.

Kind've like the whole Allen Iverson trade.

Mathius

So then you keep him and screw everyone. You screw Yi, you screw everyone who wants him, and you screw yourself because you made a completely inept move in drafting someone who didn't want to be there.

Then, like with Danny Ferry, a couple seasons will go by and the team will realize "okay, he's not falling for the bluff", and they trade him for pennies on the dollar.

Then Yi can go to another team, and he probably won't be as good, especially after a couple years of playing in inferior leagues, if at all, and when he's a disappointment he can blame it all on the Bucks picking him when he didn't want to be there in the first place. And I'll smile, because Yi has truly learned the American way: How to redirect blame from yourself. :D

kenuffff
06-29-2007, 06:25 PM
this just speeds up his eventual retirement now he might have 2 years in the league instead of 4 before everyone realizes he sucks.

beau_boy04
06-29-2007, 06:35 PM

they do that and the Chinese Government will keep him over there.

Book it! :cheers:

beau_boy04
06-29-2007, 06:39 PM

he didn't look so happy when Milwaukkee selected him yesterday :cheers:

beau_boy04
06-29-2007, 06:40 PM

they already screweed themsleves by selecting Yi. dumbasses :cheers: :applause:

Jasper
06-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Milw is dumb tho....they didnt see the kid, was told Yi wasnt gonna play there, they were offered trades for the pick and yi...they denied them all and went and took Yi. :roll:

Harris interview stated they saw him 20 times over 4 years ... does that count ?
My initial thought was that a trade was happening and it may already be set.
But harris's interview smelled like , he was going to give this guy time , see how it plays out , and maybe use him down the road , coming off the bench.
Yi in his two second interview said he was happy to be drafted and looking forward to seeing Milwaukee.... I think the slant eye rep's were behind the 'no milwaukee thing'
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2920483

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/article/2007/200706/20070630/article_321549.htm

ripthekik
06-29-2007, 07:18 PM
I hope Yi's managers decide to screw the Bucks by not playing for them, or asking Yi to play **** as hell when he gets there. Bucks #6 pick = wasted!
and they can't do anything about it.

that'll teach them for forcing a player who doesn't want to play for them to play for them just for their business profits. they are just jealous of houston's success. milwaukee the city will never make it big on the international stage.

beau_boy04
06-29-2007, 07:35 PM
I hope Yi's managers decide to screw the Bucks by not playing for them, or asking Yi to play **** as hell when he gets there. Bucks #6 pick = wasted!

that'll teach them for forcing a player who doesn't want to play for them to play for them just for their business profits. they are just jealous of houston's success. milwaukee the city will never make it big on the international stage.

:cheers:

L.Kizzle
06-29-2007, 07:40 PM
The guys a damn rookie tryin' to get what he wants.

Pay some got damned due's first!!!

Perezident
06-29-2007, 07:46 PM
The guys a damn rookie tryin' to get what he wants.

Pay some got damned due's first!!!
thats his rights

he is only following the trend around the league now!
if u dnt wanna play for someone u voice your opinnion and you ask for a trade to where u feel comfortable!

i dnt blame him at all..he showed and told the bucks he doesnt wanna play for them AT ALL!!....He cancelled his work outs and what not for them

L.Kizzle
06-29-2007, 07:49 PM
thats his rights

he is only following the trend around the league now!
if u dnt wanna play for someone u voice your opinnion and you ask for a trade to where u feel comfortable!

i dnt blame him at all..he showed and told the bucks he doesnt wanna play for them AT ALL!!....He cancelled his work outs and what not for them
Well Kobe has been in the league 11 years and won titles, Pierce a 5 time All-Star.

What has he down to demand a trade after getting drafted yesterday?

ripthekik
06-29-2007, 07:50 PM
woa woa woa.. he is an employee is he not?
like all of us, if your company asks you to move to some place u don't wanna go.. would u do it?
or would u tell him hell no and demand some other place?

"ain't no chinese man wanna be stuck in milwaukee"
:roll:

adamcz
06-29-2007, 09:00 PM
I can't believe how dumb most of you are being about this. Well, yes I can, but anyway...

Milwaukee did the right thing here. The reason there is a draft in the NBA is so that the teams can pick the players that they want. No fan of parity in sports should want a system where sometimes the team picks the player, and in other cases the player picks the team. There are about 10 teams in the league that players would pick if they all got the choice.

This year Noah and Yi were both top-10 prospects and both said they don't want Milwaukee. What if Milwaukee listens to their requests and then next year half of the top ten picks decide that they'll do the same thing. Pretty soon you've got half of the players in the draft announcing lists of the teams they'll consider.

It is not the player's choice where they get to play. If you want to play in our league you gotta play by our rules. That's the deal. Don't like it, and want to play in a large city with a big asian population? Stay in Bejing, *******.

I'll certainly be sending Larry Harris an email congratulating him on showing the commies who really holds the cards here, and encouraging him to stick it out. If Yi doesn't want to play in the NBA, he doesn't have to. He can stay in China playing for peanuts, and we'll make the playoffs without him.

If Yi wants to play against the best players in the world, make millions of dollars, and live his dream of making the NBA, he can accept reality and do it in Milwaukee. If he'd rather stick to filming soap opera milk commercials in China and matching up against ZhiZhi ten times a year, that's his choice. I'll happily "waste" the draft pick before announcing to the league that now players and agents get to pick their own destinations. Fegan will represent plenty of rookies in the future if he gets his way here, and there's nothing to stop him from doing this over and over again.

And don't give me any bull**** about "employees should get to choose the city they work in." No employee in the world gets to make choices like that. You want a job, you show up to the office where it's located. If you don't like the location, start thinking about a new line of work. If he likes LA so much, maybe he can apply for a job at a movie theater there.

cdot11
06-29-2007, 09:05 PM
I can't believe how dumb most of you are being about this. Well, yes I can, but anyway...

Milwaukee did the right thing here. The reason there is a draft in the NBA is so that the teams can pick the players that they want. No fan of parity in sports should want a system where sometimes the team picks the player, and in other cases the player picks the team. There are about 10 teams in the league that players would pick if they all got the choice.

This year Noah and Yi were both top-10 prospects and both said they don't want Milwaukee. What if Milwaukee listens to their requests and then next year half of the top ten picks decide that they'll do the same thing. Pretty soon you've got half of the players in the draft announcing lists of the teams they'll consider.

It is not the player's choice where they get to play. If you want to play in our league you gotta play by our rules. That's the deal. Don't like it, and want to play in a large city with a big asian population? Stay in Bejing, *******.

I'll certainly be sending Larry Harris an email congratulating him on showing the commies who really holds the cards here, and encouraging him to stick it out. If Yi doesn't want to play in the NBA, he doesn't have to. He can stay in China playing for peanuts, and we'll make the playoffs without him.

If Yi wants to play against the best players in the world, make millions of dollars, and live his dream of making the NBA, he can accept reality and do it in Milwaukee. If he'd rather stick to filming soap opera milk commercials in China and matching up against ZhiZhi ten times a year, that's his choice. I'll happily "waste" the draft pick before announcing to the league that now players and agents get to pick their own destinations. Fegan will represent plenty of rookies in the future if he gets his way here, and there's nothing to stop him from doing this over and over again.

And don't give me any bull**** about "employees should get to choose the city they work in." No employee in the world gets to make choices like that. You want a job, you show up to the office where it's located. If you don't like the location, start thinking about a new line of work. If he likes LA so much, maybe he can apply for a job at a movie theater there.

dosent change the fact that the buck potentially wasted the 6th pick in one of the deepest drafts ever, after China told them not to pick him. dumb pick by mil., unless they deal him.

adamcz
06-29-2007, 09:15 PM
dosent change the fact that the buck potentially wasted the 6th pick in one of the deepest drafts ever, after China told them not to pick him. dumb pick by mil., unless they deal him.
They didn't waste anything - they picked the best player available. Wasting the pick would have been drafting Alando Tucker, or whoever else you think would've really liked playing for Milwaukee.

TyCobbFan1
06-29-2007, 09:16 PM
i think i could see a trade with boston happening if they dont get shard lewis so he could be a back up for Jefferson or the starting center. It would work out in Boston cuz they have a huge Asian population with Dice-K.

What do u think post back.

cdot11
06-29-2007, 09:19 PM
They didn't waste anything - they picked the best player available. Wasting the pick would have been drafting Alando Tucker, or whoever else you think would've really liked playing for Milwaukee.

ok say he dosent play.. then what?.. do the bucks get to pick from everyone they passed on? just wondering you know?

adamcz
06-29-2007, 09:22 PM
ok say he dosent play.. then what?.. do the bucks get to pick from everyone they passed on? just wondering you know?
Then the Bucks make the playoffs without him, and he stays in China filming milk commercials with his sister. He needs the Bucks a hell of a lot more than they need him.

boozehound
06-29-2007, 09:29 PM

you are a fool. Why is he any different than any other player (who do sometimes refuse to work out for teams)? If he doesnt want to play stay in china or go to europe.

boozehound
06-29-2007, 09:32 PM

:applause: :applause:
very nice post, adam

Perezident
06-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Well Kobe has been in the league 11 years and won titles, Pierce a 5 time All-Star.

:roll:

came allllll the way from china????

iggy_needs_help
06-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Yi and his reps. need to shut the hell up. You cannot pick and choose where you are going to play. There would be no parity in the league. Thewhole point of the draft is to make the s**t teams better.:)

VeeCee15
06-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Kobe got to pick and choose where he plays.

Kobe gets to pick and choose which teammates he plays with.

Kobe gets to pick and choose which teammates he wants to kick out of town.

cdot11
06-29-2007, 10:22 PM

and?

InfiniteBaskets
06-29-2007, 10:33 PM

I agree with you on one thing. Milwaukee did make the right choice (if they really wanted Yi). Because Yi is going to stay in Milwaukee unless THEY trade him. Yi himself is not going to demand a trade. He came out and said he would play for them. Who do you think has more control over where Yi plays right now? Him or his greedy agents? ALOT of people have been talking trash about Yi because they think he doesn't want to play for the Bucks.

I bet Yi could go on sports center ten times and say nothing but "I will play for the Bucks" yet one statement by his agent "My client Yi would like to be traded now to a bigger city" would get everyone to start bagging Yi. Yi really needs to fire his reps/agents.

Bottom line, Milwaukee is going to add a nice athletic 4 to their roster.

Richie2k6
06-29-2007, 10:34 PM

Problem is, Kobe isn't a Chinese rookie demanding a trade now is he.

DCL
06-29-2007, 10:38 PM
it would really be hilarious if he did turn out to be huge bust.

eeeeeebro
06-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Milwaukee needs to lose the bucks logo and change their uniform......................... milwaukee bucks sounds like a damn deer hunting sports team not a basketball team (other than that im fine with yi playing for bucks)

-primetime-
06-29-2007, 11:06 PM
dallas will end up with Yi

Wonder Bread Kid
06-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Yi's going to Golden State, bank on that.

ripthekik
06-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Yi is going to the Kings. put money on that.

el_locoteee
06-30-2007, 12:06 AM

Kobe didnt want to play for the Charlotte and he was only a high school player.

saKf
06-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Milwaukee should trade Yi even if he isn't demanding a trade.

sux0rz.

ripthekik
06-30-2007, 01:04 AM
I got to be honest though.
Before the Bucks drafted Yi, this past year I completed forgotten that such a NBA team existed.

No news of them, No star players, no national TV appearance, not a big market city.

Even the other losing teams have more life to them than the Bucks.:oldlol:

gts
06-30-2007, 01:06 AM
who's yi's agent?

brantonli
06-30-2007, 01:11 AM

I always thought that international players were 'automatically' allowed to be in the draft, when they've gotten over the age of 22. I always thought this was rather stupid, as in if players overseas don't want to play in the NBA but are a top ten pick and they will have to play in the NBA. Didn't Sabonis stay overseas for most of his prime until his 30s?

Yi really needs to fire his reps/agents

It's going to be easy firing the government :oldlol:

Put Back Dunk
06-30-2007, 01:14 AM
If I remember correctly the 'approved teams' were Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, and Golden State.

Atlanta and Chicago have plenty of young pieces to offer for Yi, Golden State I'm sure could put together a good package but apparently Brandan Wright was their guy. Boston has zero chance (Gerald Green isn't landing us Yi).

gts
06-30-2007, 01:19 AM
well yi doesn't have to go to the bucks, thing is he can stay in china, play for the national team or what ever team he chooses and reenter the draft in 2 years correct?

reppy
06-30-2007, 02:50 AM
Am I retarded? No, I'd say I've got a pretty good grasp on the situation. I'm not the one freaking out here. And, yeah, I'd feel pretty confidant in saying that I know quite a bit about the topic I'm discussing, as well it shows. I'm also not the one calling someone else "retarded" because they differ with a completely uninformed, heavily biased and ignorant opinion. So, I'm just fine here sitting in the non-retarded section.

Biased? Why would I be biased? I've given Steve Francis and Kobe Bryant tons of **** for refusing to play for the team they were drafted for. Are you accusing me of being racist towards Chinese? :oldlol:

And I never called you retarded; I asked if you were.

I'm acting like everything is American arrogance? That's funny, you're the one that brought it up. I'm just pointing out how it can easily go the other way and be just as relevant. My posts are all right here for you to read, but I understand that reading lots of words is hard, so I'm sure you didn't bother getting information before speaking. It's okay though, I'm sure it's standard operating procedure for you.

"Did people get this ignorance over Francis and Bryant? No, of course not. They weren't Chinese. They were just arrogant, spoiled Americans, and both were appeased immediately." - JalenRawley

"Wisconsin? In Wis-****ing-consin? The land of white, fat, ignorant, racist, bigoted cheeseheads? McCarthyLand?" - JalenRawley

I brought up the point that if America was telling someone else which team we wanted our player to play on we would be getting called "arrogant" and all kinds of nasty things. I also never said America was innocent of ever having done anything wrong. I was merely stating the facts.

And what information didn't I get before reading? Yi doesn't want to play for the team that drafted him. This pisses me off. Yet, because I'm not also *****ing about Steve Francis and Kobe Bryant at this current moment, I must be biased? Brilliant logic, my friend. Might as well ***** at me for not complaining about the Vietnam war right now. "You complain about Iraq, but not Vietnam! You must be biased!"

Nobody held a gun to Milwaukee's heads and said, "YOU MUST DRAFT YI." His camp refused workouts in certain cities because they didn't want to deal with this issue. They handled things the right way. Are they right for doing it? Not necessarily, but it's understandable to see why they want Yi in a city with more of a Chinese presence.

Nobody held a gun to Yi's head and said, "YOU MUST ENTER THE NBA DRAFT." He made a choice and fully understood that any team could draft him.

And again, if he decides to refuse to play for Milwaukee, who gets screwed, Yi or Milwaukee? If he can't force a trade, he can always play in another league. The Bucks can't get their pick back. It's like Fran Vasquez or Frederick Weis. And just like those two picks, you blame the moron GM that picked them, not the picky player who'd rather not be in your city, no matter what their reasoning is.

And this completely destroys the integrity of the draft. Woohoo. Way to go.

All pieces of **** for doing so.

loot
06-30-2007, 05:41 AM
Yi Jianlian-C-Bucks Jun. 29 - 11:44 pm et

Bucks first-round draft pick Yi Jianlian did not travel to Milwaukee on Friday to be formally introduced to the fans and apparently has no plans to even visit the city that drafted him.

He really doesn't have time to visit right now, with responsibilities playing for the Chinese national team starting this weekend in Dallas and then the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, although those are also convenient excuses. Agent Dan Fegan pushed for Yi to go to a city with a heavy Asian influence, and GM Larry Harris said Fegan was shocked that the Bucks selected him with the sixth pick in the draft. It's very possible that Yi will never step into the city of Milwaukee, let alone play for their team.

wanker.

reppy
06-30-2007, 05:42 AM
wanker.

Be careful, loot. You might get called a biased hypocrite and arrogant American.

TMan
06-30-2007, 05:48 AM
This reminds me of Steve Francis when Vancouver drafted him back then.

artest 93
06-30-2007, 05:52 AM
Be careful, loot. You might get called a biased hypocrite and arrogant American.

and it would be wrong, how?

reppy
06-30-2007, 05:54 AM
This reminds me of Steve Francis when Vancouver drafted him back then.

No, Steve Francis was a spoiled thug. Yi is a Chinese hero and Milwaukee was stupid to draft him. Forbid the thought that someone should live up to their end of the deal! How uniquely American! :D

loot
06-30-2007, 06:00 AM
and it would be wrong, how?

It would be wrong b/c I'm not an American. :roll:

reppy
06-30-2007, 06:09 AM
Canadians should know how it feels and respect the anger that fans have over players refusing to show up.

loot
06-30-2007, 06:10 AM
nm

Sharas
06-30-2007, 06:57 AM
anyone who refuses to play for team that drafted him is an *********. whetever his skin color or nationality is.

i'm sick of today's players acting like spoiled 12-year olds. being drafted, and being drafted that high is supposed to be a honor.

i'd trade him away and make ruben patterson break some bones of his when milwaukee meets with that team.

dafunkphenom
06-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Who does this guy think he is. He'll be a poor man's Yao. Which is not saying much since Yao is mega overrated. The guy is getting killed on the boards by average PF's in the league.

InfiniteBaskets
06-30-2007, 09:26 AM
I always thought that international players were 'automatically' allowed to be in the draft, when they've gotten over the age of 22. I always thought this was rather stupid, as in if players overseas don't want to play in the NBA but are a top ten pick and they will have to play in the NBA. Didn't Sabonis stay overseas for most of his prime until his 30s?

It's going to be easy firing the government :oldlol:

In one of loots' posts, it said Yi's agent's name was Dan Fegan I think. That doesn't sound very Chinese. I'm a bit confused on how Yi's management works... The Chinese govt are acting as his agents? That just doesn't seem to make sense.

I feel as though Yi's agent is an American who is familiar with bringing international players to the NBA and helping them make a transition. His agent knows USA pretty well, probably grew up here, and knows how to take advantage of a markatable player when he sees one. He sees alot of cash in bringing Yi to a metro city with high asian influence.

InfiniteBaskets
06-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Who does this guy think he is. He'll be a poor man's Yao. Which is not saying much since Yao is mega overrated. The guy is getting killed on the boards by average PF's in the league.
C'mon now, let's not trash Yao. He never trash talks himself, nor whines about playing for Houston.

Oh yeah, and he was the leading scorer last season among centers, in fact he put up more ppg than McGrady did. And he was the only scorer among the top ten that shot over .500. His shoots free throws at 86 percent, better than alot of other centers, and was top 20 in rebounding and shot blocking. What more do you want from the guy? I'm not saying he's a super-star like Kobe or Garnett but the guy can play. Yi will be lucky if he can put up Yao like stats.

TheOne
06-30-2007, 09:51 AM

I agree. Yi should play for the Bucks. Get the playtime and dollar then screw them after rookie contract. Do it!

ripthekik
06-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Bucks first-round draft pick Yi Jianlian did not travel to Milwaukee on Friday to be formally introduced to the fans and apparently has no plans to even visit the city that drafted him.
:roll: :roll:
in ur face, bucks!

FPower
06-30-2007, 11:42 AM
:roll: :roll:
in ur face, bucks!

If he doesn't come over this year, the Bucks will have his rights whevener he does decide he wants to play in the NBA. Then he'll be forced to play on his rookie deal when he's in his prime.

The Bucks can play hardball with him, there's no reason to cave.

Mathius
06-30-2007, 12:00 PM
woa woa woa.. he is an employee is he not?
like all of us, if your company asks you to move to some place u don't wanna go.. would u do it?

No he's not. He entered the draft, he did not sign a contract. The only affiliate he has with the NBA right now is that based on the league's rules, Stern won't allow anyone but Milwaukee to have him unless the rights are traded. Basically, the NBA is so arrogant, they they have claimed his ownership before they even have him under contract.

Then the Bucks make the playoffs without him, and he stays in China filming milk commercials with his sister. He needs the Bucks a hell of a lot more than they need him.

Doubtful. This guy is a Chinese hero. He has all of China backing him. Milwaukee is trying to play hardball with the government of China. How long do you think that will last before Stern steps in and forces something? Stern WANTS this guy to play.

Mathius

Mathius
06-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Nobody held a gun to Yi's head and said, "YOU MUST ENTER THE NBA DRAFT."

Assuming you're speaking metaphorically and you're not stupid enough to think this is life or death, they basically did put a gun to his head.

The NBA says you cannot play in the NBA unless you enter the draft. So yes, basically, they did dictate that he had to enter the draft. Now he is dictating where he wants to go.
[/QUOTE]

And this completely destroys the integrity of the draft. Woohoo. Way to go.

I got news for you morons who keep saying this... the draft isn't that great a system to begin with.

anyone who refuses to play for team that drafted him is an *********. whetever his skin color or nationality is.

i'm sick of today's players acting like spoiled 12-year olds. being drafted, and being drafted that high is supposed to be a honor.

An honor? *laugh* Now you're cracking me up. Did Candy man, or Kwame Brown make that an honor?

It's about money, fool. Not honor.

Mathius

Qwyjibo
06-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Doubtful. This guy is a Chinese hero. He has all of China backing him. Milwaukee is trying to play hardball with the government of China. How long do you think that will last before Stern steps in and forces something? Stern WANTS this guy to play.

What's he going to do? Circumvent the whole draft system and cause a HUGE controversy? He can't do anything... anything that is legal I think.

This was a risk Yi and his people should have known about upon entering the draft.

The NBA says you cannot play in the NBA unless you enter the draft. So yes, basically, they did dictate that he had to enter the draft. Now he is dictating where he wants to go.
And in the NBA he has no power with that. Once he entered the NBA draft he opened himself up to be part of ANY team whether he likes it or not. If he really wants to choose his pro team then he should pack his bags and look for a Euro league team.

Mathius
06-30-2007, 12:31 PM
What's he going to do? Circumvent the whole draft system and cause a HUGE controversy? He can't do anything... anything that is legal I think.

This was a risk Yi and his people should have known about upon entering the draft.

If you don't think Stern will do something behind the scenes to make sure that Yi plays, then you don't know anything about the Toni Kukoc situation and how hard Stern worked in Croatia to make that happen.

And in the NBA he has no power with that. Once he entered the NBA draft he opened himself up to be part of ANY team whether he likes it or not. If he really wants to choose his pro team then he should pack his bags and look for a Euro league team.

Oh really? Seems to me we've said this whole thread that it's worked several times now for several people. Ferry, Kobe, Francis. Now Yi is holding out.

It's a universal law in life. You can do whatever you want to as long as you are willing to suffer the consequences of your actions. Remember it. It's an important life lesson. Write it down somewhere.

Mathius

Sharas
06-30-2007, 01:03 PM
An honor? *laugh* Now you're cracking me up. Did Candy man, or Kwame Brown make that an honor?

It's about money, fool. Not honor.

Mathius

actually, i happen to know that. no need to call me a fool.

but do i think that's good? no.

and no matter how much of a busts these two were, they showed up for teams that chose them. as someone said, point of draft is that teams get to choose, not the players. you don't like it? don't enter the draft. simple as that. those are the rules. rules should be bent in some cases, but not for a rookie that hasn't proven anything. it's not like kevin garnett not wanting to go to boston.

again, do i think that bucks made a smart decision by drafting a guy that doesn't want to play for them? no.
but it's their legal right.

Mathius
06-30-2007, 01:06 PM
actually, i happen to know that. no need to call me a fool.

but do i think that's good? no.

and no matter how much of a busts these two were, they showed up for teams that chose them. as someone said, point of draft is that teams get to choose, not the players. you don't like it? don't enter the draft. simple as that. those are the rules. rules should be bent in some cases, but not for a rookie that hasn't proven anything. it's not like kevin garnett not wanting to go to boston.

again, do i think that bucks made a smart decision by drafting a guy that doesn't want to play for them? no.
but it's their legal right.

Well then why don't all you guys stop spouting nonsense about how he's a "douche" and "he can't do that" and "that's not allowed", and just admit the real reason:

You don't like it.

Because obviously he CAN do it. He IS doing it, and it will probably even work out for him, unless Milwaukee is in a hurry to lose that draft pick by having him just go back overseas.

Once again, a guy doesn't conform to the NBA norm, or the celebrity norm, and you guys want to jump all over him for it.

He's doing what he thinks is best for him, and I'm ok with that. If I was in his position, I'd probably do the same thing.

What does he owe to the US fans? Not a damn thing, that's what. He's thinking of his country back home, and what are good markets for him back there.

Mathius

ripthekik
06-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Well then why don't all you guys stop spouting nonsense about how he's a "douche" and "he can't do that" and "that's not allowed", and just admit the real reason:

You don't like it.

Because obviously he CAN do it. He IS doing it, and it will probably even work out for him, unless Milwaukee is in a hurry to lose that draft pick by having him just go back overseas.

Once again, a guy doesn't conform to the NBA norm, or the celebrity norm, and you guys want to jump all over him for it.

He's doing what he thinks is best for him, and I'm ok with that. If I was in his position, I'd probably do the same thing.

What does he owe to the US fans? Not a damn thing, that's what. He's thinking of his country back home, and what are good markets for him back there.

Mathius
:applause: :applause:
i like.

adamcz
06-30-2007, 01:09 PM

Mathius
"All of China"? People in China don't give a rat's ass where Yi plays. If your favorite American player went to play for a Chinese team, would you care one bit if it was in Bejing or Hong Kong, or some other city you've never heard of? Why would anyone care about that? This is just about Fegan trying to increase his 20% endorsement take.

If Stern forced something here, it would be the last move he ever made as NBA commishioner. Stern only works as an employee of the NBA as long as the owners want him in that position. He doesn't own the league or whatever else you guys imagine about him.

But let's just pretend that Stern really wants to get behind the scenes and have Yi traded... I'm totally fine with that. He can have LA offer Kobe Bryant, or he can have Atlanta offer Al Horford straight up. Maybe Phoenix can offer Amare for Simmons and Yi.

Your ideas that Milwaukee just shouldn't get a good player beacuse they don't "deserve" one is ridiculous. If Yi really wants to void this draft pick, he can take a year off from basketball altogether (including in China), and enter the draft again next year. That would probably lead to the NBA barring foreign players from entering the draft at all going forward.

TheHonestTruth
06-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Yi got so much hate because he's chinese. If he's black and from the hood, he won't get hated for doing this.

Qwyjibo
06-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Oh really? Seems to me we've said this whole thread that it's worked several times now for several people. Ferry, Kobe, Francis. Now Yi is holding out.

That's only a couple examples out of how many? That's 3 players in 3 different drafts. In general, players don't have a say and that's a fact.

Milwaukee has no reason to cave into Yi's demands here (if these rumours are true) unless they get blown away with a trade offer. The Bucks now own him in the NBA and unless shady dealings happen behind the scenes, they are the only ones who can change that. I don't see Milwaukee quickly accepting a garbage "Michael Dickerson, Othella Harrington + other garbage" trade either.

The thing I hate about this is how people are putting the blame on Milwaukee in all this. That's ridiculous. They took the best talent available and expect him to show up as nearly all players do each year. That's not unreasonable.

adamcz
06-30-2007, 01:13 PM
What does he owe to the US fans?
He owes US fans a hell of a lot more than we owe him. He's coming to our country as a guest to play in our league, earning our money. If he wants to do this, he can play by our rules. Playing in the NBA, just like working for any company on earth is not a god given right. You either accept how things are, or you go home.

Sharas
06-30-2007, 01:14 PM

You don't like it.

Mathius

and what's the exact difference between "he's douche", and "i don't like it"?

yes, i don't like it. and what else did i say? it's obvious that he's doing what he considers is best for him.

you seem to take this personally for some weird reason.

Sharas
06-30-2007, 01:16 PM
He owes US fans a hell of a lot more than we owe him. He's coming to our country as a guest to play in our league, earning our money. If he wants to do this, he can play by our rules. Playing in the NBA, just like working for any company on earth is not a god given right. You either accept how things are, or you go home.

yes, exactly.

by accepting to work for a company, you also accept its rules. it's only bucks goodwill if they fulfill his request, but he can't force them to do so. not without losing a lot of money.

Mathius
06-30-2007, 01:21 PM
That's only a couple examples out of how many? That's 3 players in 3 different drafts. In general, players don't have a say and that's a fact.

Doesn't matter, it CAN be done. And like I said, MOST of the players that are drafted are fine playing for where ever they go.

Milwaukee has no reason to cave into Yi's demands here (if these rumours are true) unless they get blown away with a trade offer.

No reason except that they blew the #6 pick in the draft. When all the successful players AFTER 6 start running around the league, you think the Bucks fans will be happy with their franchise? You think Milwaukee doesn't look stupid?

The thing I hate about this is how people are putting the blame on Milwaukee in all this. That's ridiculous. They took the best talent available and expect him to show up as nearly all players do each year. That's not unreasonable.

They're putting the blame on Milwaukee because this was a blatantly stupid move. Yi's people made it clear they weren't going to allow him to sign there, and they drafted him anyways.

You can throw all the lines out you want about how he's destroying the integrity of the draft, and "he can't do that", etc. but at the end of the day, Milwaukee was warned, and they ignored it.

Uhm. No, he owes the US fans, ziltch. He isn't under contract, he hasn't played a single game here. He isn't making any money here. He hasn't taken anything yet, so he doesn't owe anyone squat.

and what's the exact difference between "he's douche", and "i don't like it"?

yes, i don't like it. and what else did i say? it's obvious that he's doing what he considers is best for him.

you seem to take this personally for some weird reason.

Actually you have this backwards. If you look at my response to you a little closer, I wasn't addressing just what you said, I was addressing most of the guys b*tching in this thread.

THEY seem to take it personally, because the guy isn't conforming to THEIR standards.

He has every right as a person to not sign a contract, and decide to hold out for a better offer. That's basic job economics.

Just like when the ABA and NBA existed, if you didn't like the contract offered by the NBA you could go to the ABA.

That's how life works. Right now there is no competition in the US, so he chooses not to play in the US at this moment. He could change his mind, or Milwaukee could trade him. It call comes down to who caves in first.

Mathius

Mathius
06-30-2007, 01:22 PM
yes, exactly.

by accepting to work for a company, you also accept its rules. it's only bucks goodwill if they fulfill his request, but he can't force them to do so. not without losing a lot of money.

He doesn't work for anyone. He hasn't signed a contract, so he isn't a member of the NBA. Why is this so hard for you guys to understand?

Milwaukee owns his "rights". All he did was enter the draft. It's like signing an application at a job.

His application was accepted, but he didn't accept a position. He isn't getting paid.

He can do whatever he wants. He doesn't owe anyone anything. He hasn't taken any money.

Mathius

Qwyjibo
06-30-2007, 01:28 PM
He can do whatever he wants.

He can... just not in the NBA. If he wants to earn money playing basketball then Milwaukee is his only option in the NBA. If he doesn't like that then yea, he is free to do what he wants in Europe or maybe back in the CBA.

Mathius
06-30-2007, 01:33 PM
He can... just not in the NBA. If he wants to earn money playing basketball then Milwaukee is his only option in the NBA. If he doesn't like that then yea, he is free to do what he wants in Europe or maybe back in the CBA.

God, you must be the most stubborn Milwaukee fan on the board. Don't you see that he CAN?

Milwaukee is not going to sit on the #6 draft pick for the rest of the year when guys who are picked after him are starting to show their potential in the league and they have nothing to show for it.

They'll make a trade.

All he has to do is wait. Draft picks that high are too valuable to sit on.

Mathius

Qwyjibo
06-30-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm not even a Milwaukee fan.

And I do think Milwaukee can afford to sit and wait on him. They would've easily been a playoff team last year but they had a ridiculous amount of injuries. They will be a playoff team this year with or without Yi.

reppy
06-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Assuming you're speaking metaphorically and you're not stupid enough to think this is life or death, they basically did put a gun to his head.

Someone was "stupid enough" to say that no one stuck a gun to Milwaukee's head and forced them to draft Yi. Well, no one stuck a gun to Yi's head and forced him into the draft. If he doesn't want to go into the draft, he doesn't have to. You don't know if China did or didn't threaten him.

And that's exactly how it should be. Every team gets a fair shake. Otherwise, every person that decided they wanted to join the NBA would choose a big market team with the best players where they could make the most marketing dollars. Think anyone would "dictate" that they wanted to goto a place like Utah?

What if Milwaukee had the #1 pick and the player most likely to be picked #1 said they didn't want to play in Milwaukee? What if LeBron decided he had had enough of Cleveland and wanted to be drafted by the Pistons? Then refused to play for Cavs when drafted by him? How would you feel?

I got news for you morons who keep saying this... the draft isn't that great a system to begin with.

No one ever said it was perfect. But at this point, the GMs choose who goes where, not the players. If this is how it's going to be, why even let small market teams have a high number in the draft? The player is just going to pout.

Seriously, Yi should be absolutely ****ing thrilled to just be leaving China; I know I would!

People are acting like they're such proponents of personal choice and all that bull**** when in reality they are ****ing themselves. No one ever looks at the big picture. "Wahh! He wants to go somewhere else, so he should be able to! Wahhh! Who cares if someone might do this to my team in the future and **** over my franchise! Wahhh!"

I think if a team drafts a player and that player refuses to suit up for that team, the league should be able to ban them for several years.

iggy_needs_help
06-30-2007, 04:42 PM

:wtf:

And Kobe has also won 3 championships and is already a franchise player

kobeisgod
06-30-2007, 04:55 PM
"All of China"? People in China don't give a rat's ass where Yi plays. If your favorite American player went to play for a Chinese team, would you care one bit if it was in Bejing or Hong Kong, or some other city you've never heard of? Why would anyone care about that? This is just about Fegan trying to increase his 20% endorsement take.

If Stern forced something here, it would be the last move he ever made as NBA commishioner. Stern only works as an employee of the NBA as long as the owners want him in that position. He doesn't own the league or whatever else you guys imagine about him.

But let's just pretend that Stern really wants to get behind the scenes and have Yi traded... I'm totally fine with that. He can have LA offer Kobe Bryant, or he can have Atlanta offer Al Horford straight up. Maybe Phoenix can offer Amare for Simmons and Yi.

Your ideas that Milwaukee just shouldn't get a good player beacuse they don't "deserve" one is ridiculous. If Yi really wants to void this draft pick, he can take a year off from basketball altogether (including in China), and enter the draft again next year. That would probably lead to the NBA barring foreign players from entering the draft at all going forward.

would u rather play for hong kong or some sucky chinese village in the middle of mongolia?

Mathius
06-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Someone was "stupid enough" to say that no one stuck a gun to Milwaukee's head and forced them to draft Yi. Well, no one stuck a gun to Yi's head and forced him into the draft. If he doesn't want to go into the draft, he doesn't have to. You don't know if China did or didn't threaten him.

WTF tangent are you on now? I never said China threatened him. I said it wasn't a life or death situation. I said that metaphorically speaking, the NBA did put a gun to his head.

They said enter the draft or you don't play in the NBA.

YOU were the one who said, "They didn't put a gun to his head and make him enter the draft."

Guess what? They basically did MAKE him enter the draft.

And that's exactly how it should be. Every team gets a fair shake. Otherwise, every person that decided they wanted to join the NBA would choose a big market team with the best players where they could make the most marketing dollars. Think anyone would "dictate" that they wanted to goto a place like Utah?

Ok, but that's why there are penalties. Yi isn't getting paid as long as he holds out. Like I said. TWICE now. Most players are happy going where they are picked.

If they're not, they can choose to hold out. It's an option. Nobody forces you to sign with anyone, period.

What if Milwaukee had the #1 pick and the player most likely to be picked #1 said they didn't want to play in Milwaukee? What if LeBron decided he had had enough of Cleveland and wanted to be drafted by the Pistons? Then refused to play for Cavs when drafted by him? How would you feel?

You might as well just put a sign out that says, "I am an idiot with no argument."

Whenever someone around here is talking out their ass and getting backed into a corner, they attack the other person's team.

I don't give a damn if Cleveland drafted Lebron or not, or if he signed with us. He's here now, so you don't have a point.

Lebron could have held out if he wanted to. MOST players are happy to play for the team they are drafted for (4th time I've said it. GET IT YET?)

No one ever said it was perfect. But at this point, the GMs choose who goes where, not the players. If this is how it's going to be, why even let small market teams have a high number in the draft? The player is just going to pout.

The GM's don't _choose_ crap. If you believe that, you're naive. You go into the draft with a list of players you want, and you pick what's left. You don't choose what pick you get. It isn't solely based on record. And yes, the player can hold out if he wants to. He doesn't have to agree to your terms. The GM's really have very little control over anything until their number is up on the clock, and even then, nothing is guaranteed.

And let me let you in on a little secret. If players could sign with whoever they want? They still wouldn't all flock to one team, because that would defeat the purpose. Nobody would get enough playing time, and eventually, you'd have 4 teams of all stars instead of 30 teams in the league.

It just wouldn't work. So there's no reason to start pulling that card, because it's stupid to begin with.

Seriously, Yi should be absolutely ****ing thrilled to just be leaving China; I know I would!

Have you ever lived in China? No? Then just HOW THE F DO YOU KNOW THAT?

People are acting like they're such proponents of personal choice and all that bull**** when in reality they are ****ing themselves. No one ever looks at the big picture. "Wahh! He wants to go somewhere else, so he should be able to! Wahhh! Who cares if someone might do this to my team in the future and **** over my franchise! Wahhh!"

I think if a team drafts a player and that player refuses to suit up for that team, the league should be able to ban them for several years.

Which is exactly what this comes down to. YOU don't think what he's doing is ok, so it shouldn't be.

People have a choice in this league. If that wasn't the case, then anyone who entered the draft would already be under contract with the NBA and the NBA would decide where people go.

Is that what you really want? An NBA dictatorship? Because that's what it would be. There would be no contracts with a team, all the players would belong to the NBA. So if the NBA said they don't want Milwaukee to have a team anymore, they could pull all the players and put them somewhere else.

There would be no team unity.

Get a life, kid. Go read a book or something and learn what the hell you're talking about.

Mathius

VeeCee15
06-30-2007, 05:26 PM
"And Kobe has also won 3 championships and is already a franchise player"

good you prove my point. A player who got to choose where he went won NBA championships.

ripthekik
06-30-2007, 06:58 PM
And let me let you in on a little secret. If players could sign with whoever they want? They still wouldn't all flock to one team, because that would defeat the purpose. Nobody would get enough playing time, and eventually, you'd have 4 teams of all stars instead of 30 teams in the league.

this is true, but not because of that. It doesn't work even though everyone is free to choose their own team a.k.a free agency is because of: money.

smaller team that doesnt have stars have the money to throw at players who need them. at that point player A's needs will sent him to that team and he will be happy playing there. the big market team won't have money to sign everyone, and most NBA playings dont sign up with teams to play for the championship until the end of their career.

qwerty
06-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Wait, did he actually demand a trade yet?

NugzFan
06-30-2007, 07:35 PM
screw yi. take your millions, shut up and play for milwaukee. you are lucky to even be in the best league in the world and already whining about it?!

Mathius
06-30-2007, 07:45 PM
screw yi. take your millions, shut up and play for milwaukee. you are lucky to even be in the best league in the world and already whining about it?!

Yeah. He's "lucky".

Did it ever occur to you geniuses that if Milwaukee had the advantage here, they wouldn't have wanted Yi so badly that they selected him even after it was clear he wouldn't play?

If he wasn't a damn good player, they wouldn't even have taken the chance.

Mathius

PureElement
06-30-2007, 07:47 PM
I still blame Nike. Its always Nike's fault.

My point is, I don't think Yi is completely in control of the situation unless he wants to face the consequences of being expelled from the Chinese National Team or some shyt.

NugzFan
06-30-2007, 07:48 PM
it doesnt matter what yi wants. he should shut up and play for the team that drafts him. he hasnt even played one minute in the nba and is already complaining about it.

he should be grateful for being drafted by milwaukee and go earn him millions of dollars playing a freaking game.

PureElement
06-30-2007, 07:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft...tory?id=2920483

...Disregarding his desire to play in a city with a heavy Asian influence -- there are only about 27,500 Asian Americans in Milwaukee -- the Bucks picked the 6-foot-11 forward to become the fourth Chinese player to make the NBA.

The question is whether he'll ever wear a Bucks uniform.

"I think so," Yi said. "It's a surprise to me. ... I'm not really familiar with the city as well, but I'm happy to be playing with the team and happy to play in the NBA."

...Yi is not scheduled to appear in Milwaukee, but instead will join the Chinese national team and scrimmage on Sunday and Tuesday in Dallas before heading to Las Vegas to play in the NBA summer league.

Harris said he wasn't sure if he'd meet with Yi's representatives in Dallas or Las Vegas, but that playing for the national team is Yi's priority.

"Based on timing, there wasn't any way to get him in here," Harris said. "I don't want anybody to be misled that that's a bad thing. Certainly we would encourage him to come here as soon as he could."

...Agent Dan Fegan did not allow the Bucks to hold a private workout or see Yi, but did allow teams as low as the Sixers, with the 12th pick, to take a look at one of the draft's most unknown talents during a workout in Los Angeles. Harris said Philadelphia was among several teams that called and tried to trade for the pick.

Harris said Fegan was surprised at the Bucks' pick.

"He was shocked," Harris said. "I told him several weeks ago that we're going to take the best player. ... We think he's one of the best players and if he turns out to be the best one at six, we're going to take him."

Fegan did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Yi said the Bucks never watched him workout in China, either, but Harris said that wasn't accurate.

"We felt comfortable from our standpoint, we did not need to go out there to confirm or deny our own feelings about Yi as a player," Harris said of the Los Angeles workout. "We spent a week in Qatar to see him play. ... We saw him in Japan for the World Championships. We saw him in the Olympics two years ago. We've been to China. We've estimated we've seen him over 20 times in the last four years. Rest assured, we know him."

..."When my father was coaching him on the Chinese national team, they thought he was going to be a small forward," Larry Harris said. "Now his body has grown. He's 238 pounds, he's a legitimate power forward that not only can score, but can really shoot the ball outside."

Yi appears to fit in well with the Bucks, who stumbled to the third-worst record in the league last season after injuries to four of five starters. If Milwaukee is able to keep free agent guard Mo Williams, Yi would join a rotation that includes Michael Redd, forwards Bobby Simmons and Charlie Villanueva and center Andrew Bogut, the No. 1 pick in the 2005 draft.

iggy_needs_help
06-30-2007, 08:38 PM
"
good you prove my point. A player who got to choose where he went won NBA championships.

Kobe won championships BEFORE he told the busses who to get in, etc.:no:

Mathius
06-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Kobe won championships BEFORE he told the busses who to get in, etc.:no:

Uhm. No. Get your facts straight. Reports state that Kobe demanded a trade when drafted by Charlotte.

Mathius

Kiddlovesnets
06-30-2007, 08:52 PM
What an awkward idea! He should have known that as a rookie, there's by no means to choose a team he wants. What he ought to do is to prove himself and make the fans believe he deserve playing in a better place.

InfiniteBaskets
06-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Yi got so much hate because he's chinese. If he's black and from the hood, he won't get hated for doing this.
Well actually, I think any player, black, white, asian, latin, whatever, will recieve tons of hate for entering a draft and then discussing with certain teams about not playing for them if they were to be drafted.

But I feel as though a lot of people posting under this thread is assuming one thing that I haven't seen full proof of. Yi never ACTUALLY stated himself that he would refuse to play for Milwaukee and that he wants to be traded

Some posters are criticizing Yi for entering the NBA draft and then being picky.
Others are saying it's his given right to do what he pleases if he is willing to suffer the consequences.

But I haven't seen any proof of Yi wanting a trade. I've only seen quotes from his agent Dan Fegan. And like AdamCZ said, it's about Dan Fegan getting an extra bonus for signing Yi to a more marketable place. Can you blame him? It's his job as an agent to generate the most money for himself and his clients.

So if people want to argue whether players have the option of refusing to play for a team or not, that's complete fine. But don't include Yi's name as a part of this until he himself says he wants to be traded or that he wno't play for Milwaukee.

I personally think Milwaukee knows that deep down Yi can't wait to play for them and compete with the eastern conf.

Mathius
06-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Well actually, I think any player, black, white, asian, latin, whatever, will recieve tons of hate for entering a draft and then discussing with certain teams about not playing for them if they were to be drafted.

But I feel as though a lot of people posting under this thread is assuming one thing that I haven't seen full proof of. Yi never ACTUALLY stated himself that he would refuse to play for Milwaukee and that he wants to be traded

Some posters are criticizing Yi for entering the NBA draft and then being picky.
Others are saying it's his given right to do what he pleases if he is willing to suffer the consequences.

But I haven't seen any proof of Yi wanting a trade. I've only seen quotes from his agent Dan Fegan. And like AdamCZ said, it's about Dan Fegan getting an extra bonus for signing Yi to a more marketable place. Can you blame him? It's his job as an agent to generate the most money for himself and his clients.

So if people want to argue whether players have the option of refusing to play for a team or not, that's complete fine. But don't include Yi's name as a part of this until he himself says he wants to be traded or that he wno't play for Milwaukee.

I personally think Milwaukee knows that deep down Yi can't wait to play for them and compete with the eastern conf.

This is probably the most intelligent response in this entire thread. I've just been throwing Yi's name around because its easier than to continue saying "Yi's people" or "Yi's agent", etc. etc. Because in all honesty, nobody is sure if it is Feagan, or someone else, there have even been reports that some Chinese officials have been involved.

That's part of what I've been defending here, is that all these posters act like Yi owes the NBA something, and they are continually bashing his character, when the fact is, he seems to have very little control over what's going on right now.

Right now, it's about money and business. But I still think Milwaukee was dumb for taking him.

Mathius

2LeTTeRS KD
06-30-2007, 10:09 PM
The Bucks made a basketball-related move and now are being faced with politics. Sucks to see something that many of us junkies hold sacred like the draft process demeaned like this but we all saw it coming. When The Bucks drafted Yi me and manphib where chatting and both thought what the hell are they doing picking a guy that doesn't want to play there. Creates an ugly situation that I wouldnt want to be a part of unless I feel a guy is head and shoulders above the rest of the pack and from what I've heard of Yi I don't see him as being that much of a stand-out. Personally I see this as a bad move by the Bucks and by Yi.

Make It Rain
06-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Trade him to the Knicks. We'll give you Z-BO!

eeeeeebro
07-01-2007, 12:23 AM
word is that yi's agents arnt even answering the phone for bucks when the management calls. hes gonna just ignore them lol

reppy
07-01-2007, 02:43 AM
WTF tangent are you on now? I never said China threatened him. I said it wasn't a life or death situation. I said that metaphorically speaking, the NBA did put a gun to his head.

You injected yourself into a conversation when nothing had been said to you. Go back and read what was said and then come to the logical conclusion: I wasn't talking to you when I originally said it. If you need context, find it yourself. I'm not going to hold your hand and explain everything for you.

They said enter the draft or you don't play in the NBA.

Sounds fair to me.

YOU were the one who said, "They didn't put a gun to his head and make him enter the draft."

Exactly. It was a choice he made. He was not forced to enter the draft. He could have stayed in China and played basketball.

Guess what? They basically did MAKE him enter the draft.

"I'm applying for this job, and they're forcing me to fill out an application! O, woe is me!"

Ok, but that's why there are penalties. Yi isn't getting paid as long as he holds out. Like I said. TWICE now. Most players are happy going where they are picked.

If they're not, they can choose to hold out. It's an option. Nobody forces you to sign with anyone, period.

That's fine by me. I've said he can go back to China and forfeit his money. I'm completely fine with that. Never said it wasn't an option, so don't act like I haven't.

You might as well just put a sign out that says, "I am an idiot with no argument."

Sorry, I lost mine. Can I borrow yours? I'm sure you have several of them around from all the stupid arguments you choose to defend.

Whenever someone around here is talking out their ass and getting backed into a corner, they attack the other person's team.

I didn't attack your team: I provided something called "perspective". If this happened to your team, you might not be so nonchalant about the entire thing.

I don't give a damn if Cleveland drafted Lebron or not, or if he signed with us. He's here now, so you don't have a point.

Brilliant point. How could I overlook the fact that LeBron signed with your team therefore you're happy? Hm, maybe it's because if things had turned out differently you might not be singing the same tune.

Lebron could have held out if he wanted to. MOST players are happy to play for the team they are drafted for (4th time I've said it. GET IT YET?)

When have I ever said that anyone besides Yi was not happy to be drafted by the team that chose them? Please point out the number of times in this thread that I said "MOST players are" NOT "happy to play for the team they are drafted for" in this particular draft.

Frankly, I've seen you say something for the 4th time that I never disagreed with. It's getting a little bothersome.

The GM's don't _choose_ crap. If you believe that, you're naive. You go into the draft with a list of players you want, and you pick what's left. You don't choose what pick you get. It isn't solely based on record. And yes, the player can hold out if he wants to. He doesn't have to agree to your terms. The GM's really have very little control over anything until their number is up on the clock, and even then, nothing is guaranteed.

I'm naive? Last time I checked, they were the ones that made the decisions. Do certain players hold out? Yes. Wait, let me guess, the players draft themselves, sign themselves to contracts and then engineer blockbuster trades? Man, GMs got it made: just sit on their asses all day and let everything happen while they get all the credit.

Players can sign wherever they want. They cannot get drafted to the team they choose, though. If they don't like the team that drafted them? They can 1) take it like a man, play out the terms they agreed to and then sign elsewhere 2) act like a baby.

It just wouldn't work. So there's no reason to start pulling that card, because it's stupid to begin with.

I agree, it's stupid to think that free agents could sign wherever they wanted.

Have you ever lived in China? No? Then just HOW THE F DO YOU KNOW THAT?

Because I've known people that have lived in China and I'm very familiar with China's human rights records. Can you imagine living in America and not being able to research "slavery" on Google? That's China.

Let's see, what would you rather have:

An overcrowded country with the highest disparity between rich and poor, no free speech, censored media, censored Internet, human rights abuses against political dissidents..

OR..

the opportunity to make money exponentially and work for the world's best basketball league?

Tough choice. What the hell was I thinking?!

Which is exactly what this comes down to. YOU don't think what he's doing is ok, so it shouldn't be.

No, it's a violation of his agreement.

People have a choice in this league. If that wasn't the case, then anyone who entered the draft would already be under contract with the NBA and the NBA would decide where people go.

They have a choice to enter the draft. If you are drafted, you are an employee of the NBA. You have the opportunity to work at an NBA franchise. In this case, the franchise is the Milwaukee Bucks.

Is that what you really want? An NBA dictatorship? Because that's what it would be. There would be no contracts with a team, all the players would belong to the NBA. So if the NBA said they don't want Milwaukee to have a team anymore, they could pull all the players and put them somewhere else.

I have no ****ing clue where you're going with this. Are you seriously this dense? I am absolutely stunned.

The next time an NBA player gets suspended by the league office, they should tell them, "Hey! What is this, a dictatorship?! I work for the Milwaukee Bucks, not the NBA!"

Get a life, kid. Go read a book or something and learn what the hell you're talking about.

I suggest you do the same, kid.

I'm not going to argue this point any further. Everything that could be said has been said. You are free to respond to me, but I won't read it. If a new thread comes around, I'll be there.

wally_world
07-01-2007, 02:51 AM
btw... what's wrong with Milwaukee?

Mathius
07-01-2007, 09:58 AM
You injected yourself into a conversation when nothing had been said to you. Go back and read what was said and then come to the logical conclusion: I wasn't talking to you when I originally said it. If you need context, find it yourself. I'm not going to hold your hand and explain everything for you.

Last I checked this was a public forum, moron. If you wanted to respond to someone directly look up something called a PM.

I didn't attack your team: I provided something called "perspective". If this happened to your team, you might not be so nonchalant about the entire thing.

Brilliant point. How could I overlook the fact that LeBron signed with your team therefore you're happy? Hm, maybe it's because if things had turned out differently you might not be singing the same tune.

You didn't provide any "perspective" because you don't have an argument. You can't go back 3 years and try to play what if. Not to mention your argument has no basis anyways. Lebron was born and raised in Akron and wanted to play for the Cavs since he was little. How the hell does that even compare?

You basically are losing this argument, so you attacked my team. Period. Perspective my ass. As if coming after the Cavaliers changes the argument.

When have I ever said that anyone besides Yi was not happy to be drafted by the team that chose them? Please point out the number of times in this thread that I said "MOST players are" NOT "happy to play for the team they are drafted for" in this particular draft.

Frankly, I've seen you say something for the 4th time that I never disagreed with. It's getting a little bothersome.

Uhm. How about when you said, "What if Lebron had held out?"

I agree, it's stupid to think that free agents could sign wherever they wanted.

Nobody is talking about free agents. You sir, are an idiot.

Because I've known people that have lived in China and I'm very familiar with China's human rights records. Can you imagine living in America and not being able to research "slavery" on Google? That's China.

OH, ok. You know people. Gotcha. That makes it different then. Reppy knows people who don't like China, so China is bad!

They have a choice to enter the draft. If you are drafted, you are an employee of the NBA.

NO HE IS NOT. ARE YOU RETARDED? DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ENGLISH? He is not an employee of the NBA if that were the case, they would sign contracts first, and then have the draft second!

I'm not going to argue this point any further. Everything that could be said has been said. You are free to respond to me, but I won't read it. If a new thread comes around, I'll be there.

Either way I win, I guess. You never had a leg to stand on. But somehow I think you'll read this.

Mathius

Spike Spiegel
07-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Read carefully, as I'm helping to educate the masses in this one post. This concerns Yi's situation with the Bucks obviously.

1) Yi never said he did not want to play here.

The Manevolent Dan Fegan doesn;t want him to play for the Bucks. Why? Because he stands to make 20% of Yi's earnings from outside endorsements. It is of course assumed that being in Milwaukee would hurt his marketability. He is taking advantage of Yi's limited knowledge of NBA processes, and using it to his own advantage.

From Del Harris, who was on Milwaukee radio the other day and has coached Yi on the Chinese National Team over the past couple of years:

Yi is a good kid and is not behind the jostling to play in a bigger market.

From Yi himself in an interview with the Chinese media (in response to a question asking why Yi looked uneasy/unhappy when the Bucks selected him:

No, it's not that I was unhappy, it's just I was very nervous at that moment. Plus I was a bit surprised too! Actually it's doesn't matter which team pickes me, my only dream is just to play in the NBA. (For being able to realize this deram) I'd like to thank CBA, they allowed me two months extra time to prepare for the draft ...

For the entire interview, go here: http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2007-06-29/10243008548.shtml

OR

Asked if he would ever wear a Bucks uniform?

"I think so. It's a surprise to me. ... I'm not really familiar with the city as well, but I'm happy to be playing with the team and happy to play in the NBA."

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/jun/29/nba-draft-bucks-defend-surprise-pick-chinas-yi-jia/

Conclusion? The kid is being controlled and used by Dan Fegan. He wants as much money as possible.

2) The Bucks have seen Yi play plenty of times and know a lot about him, despite what the idiotic Stephen A Smith reported.

From GM of the Bucks, Larry Harris:

We felt comfortable from our standpoint, we did not need to go out there to confirm or deny our own feelings about Yi as a player. We spent a week in Qatar to see him play. ... We saw him in Japan for the World Championships. We saw him in the Olympics two years ago. We've been to China. We've estimated we've seen him over 20 times in the last four years. Rest assured, we know him.

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/jun/29/nba-draft-bucks-defend-surprise-pick-chinas-yi-jia/

So, uh, yeah...stfu SAS, you uninformed piece of sh!t.

3) The Bucks have the upper hand in this situation

The ONLY way Dan Fegan could persuade Yi to get away from the Bucks would be to have him sit out of any and all organized basketball (except for playing for the National team) for an entire year. In theory, Fegan would probably stand to lose even more money if Yi decided to do that. And from all accounts, Yi wants to play in the NBA next year.

Bottom Line: Larry Harris sent out a message that the city of Milwaukee will NOT be *****ed around by greedy agents. Yi entered his name into the NBA draft, not the "Teams with big markets" draft. Deal with it. The Bucks have absolutely no plans on trading him according to Larry Harris, unless a team wants to completely knock our socks off. I defend his decision and appreciate the stand he's taking for the Bucks.

I will eat my words if Yi comes out and says he doesn't want to play here, but he hasn't. Not once.

EricForman
07-01-2007, 04:35 PM
what's with all the Yi topics beings tarted? He's not that interesting nor is he one of the top 3 or 4 stories of this year's draft....

reppy
07-01-2007, 04:39 PM
what's with all the Yi topics beings tarted? He's not that interesting nor is he one of the top 3 or 4 stories of this year's draft....

Controversy. Was Benoit the world's best wrestler? Is Paris Hilton the world's greatest socialite? Was Anna Nicole the world's hottest woman? Naw.

Spike Spiegel
07-01-2007, 04:40 PM

To me at least, in the overall scheme of things, this has less to do with Yi and more to do with agents trying to control where a player goes for their own benefits. It's the NBA for God's sake. That type of practice absolutely KILLS the concept of the draft.

And I don't see many Yi topics at all beides the one littered with BS on the second page...so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

beau_boy04
07-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Let me say a few words. Yi will not play for the Bucks! Book it! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Spike Spiegel
07-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Let me say a few words. Yi will not play for the Bucks! Book it! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Based on...what exactly?

Move along.

I've edited the original post to include something that was just made public...the Guangdong Tigers apparently only get 20% of the money Yi makes within China, and therefore don't care where he plays in the NBA. They have said Yi will certainly not be holding out of the NBA to come back and play in the CBA.

The first part was taken from the Chinese media, the second part was taken from here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19534023/

dantin003
07-02-2007, 05:46 AM
and let him sit on the bench the whole next season, just for being such a**!!!

bigkingsfan
07-02-2007, 05:50 AM
That will help their franchise...huh.

reppy
07-02-2007, 06:24 AM
Me too. I'd rather see him rot on the bench than play for another team.

Lebron23
07-02-2007, 06:30 AM
Yi will play for the Bucks and turn this $hitty franchise into an eastern conference contender.

chains5000
07-02-2007, 06:33 AM
Yi will play for the Bucks and turn this $hitty franchise into an eastern conference contender.
I doubt he gets much playing time, specially this year.

Lebron23
07-02-2007, 06:42 AM
I doubt he gets much playing time, specially this year.

If you are a lottery pick you will at least get 25-30 minutes the guy is only 19 yrs.old and a better athlete than most player in the Bucks lineup.

chains5000
07-02-2007, 06:45 AM
If you are a lottery pick you will at least get 25-30 minutes the guy is only 19 yrs.old and a better athlete than most player in the Bucks lineup.
The bucks aren't the typical lottery team, they just had a lot of injuries last year. That means less playing time for Yi, specially considering they already got a nice frontcourt.
Besides, is Yi ready to play in the NBA? He looks like he needs to be locked in the gym for a long time...

And being a lottery pick doesn't always mean more playing time, ask Darko...

wang4three
07-02-2007, 06:49 AM
Only lottery picks to get the amount of minutes you said last year were Rudy Gay, Bargnani, Adam Morrison, and Brandon Roy. That's 4 out of 14 lottery picks. You're way off.

AtTheDriveIn
07-02-2007, 06:59 AM

If by some miracle, Bucks do become contenders even if the Eastern Conference, it wont be because of Yi. It'll be because all their players aren't injured and they're playing great basketball. Yi has no chance to even start on the team. He's too thin and only in the developmental stages of his career.

Fluffy Bird
07-02-2007, 07:07 AM

is this a clause in their contracts that was added this season (to perhaps compensate for the new age limit)?

MOST lottery picks dont play that much.

beau_boy04
07-02-2007, 07:19 AM
and let him sit on the bench the whole next season, just for being such a**!!!

then you can keep dreaming, coz he won't even suit a bucks uniform :cheers:

jerky10
07-02-2007, 07:23 AM
I wanna see Yi play in Chi-town.

Kebab Stall
07-02-2007, 07:31 AM
This dude pissed me off when he demanded a trade from the Bucks. The Bucks are pretty good team when all are healthy, with the addition of Yi they could possible do better, but when he demanded a trade it pissed me off.

Lebron23
07-02-2007, 07:33 AM
This dude pissed me off when he demanded a trade from the Bucks. The Bucks are pretty good team when all are healthy, with the addition of Yi they could possible do better, but when he demanded a trade it pissed me off.

This concerns Yi's situation with the Bucks obviously.

1) Yi never said he did not want to play here.

The Manevolent Dan Fegan doesn;t want him to play for the Bucks. Why? Because he stands to make 20% of Yi's earnings from outside endorsements. It is of course assumed that being in Milwaukee would hurt his marketability. He is taking advantage of Yi's limited knowledge of NBA processes, and using it to his own advantage.

From Del Harris, who was on Milwaukee radio the other day and has coached Yi on the Chinese National Team over the past couple of years:

From Yi himself in an interview with the Chinese media (in response to a question asking why Yi looked uneasy/unhappy when the Bucks selected him:

For the entire interview, go here: http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2007-06-29/10243008548.shtml (http://"http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2007-06-29/10243008548.shtml")

OR

Asked if he would ever wear a Bucks uniform?

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/jun/29/nba-draft-bucks-defend-surprise-pick-chinas-yi-jia/ (http://"http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/jun/29/nba-draft-bucks-defend-surprise-pick-chinas-yi-jia/")

Conclusion? The kid is being controlled and used by Dan Fegan. He wants as much money as possible.

2) The Bucks have seen Yi play plenty of times and know a lot about him, despite what the idiotic Stephen A Smith reported.

From GM of the Bucks, Larry Harris:

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/jun/29/nba-draft-bucks-defend-surprise-pick-chinas-yi-jia/ (http://"http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/jun/29/nba-draft-bucks-defend-surprise-pick-chinas-yi-jia/")

3) The Bucks have the upper hand in this situation

The ONLY way Dan Fegan could persuade Yi to get away from the Bucks would be to have him sit out of any and all organized basketball (except for playing for the National team) for an entire year. In theory, Fegan would probably stand to lose even more money if Yi decided to do that. And from all accounts, Yi wants to play in the NBA next year.

Bottom Line: Larry Harris sent out a message that the city of Milwaukee will NOT be Screw around by greedy agents. Yi entered his name into the NBA draft, not the "Teams with big markets" draft. Deal with it. The Bucks have absolutely no plans on trading him according to Larry Harris, unless a team wants to completely knock our socks off. I defend his decision and appreciate the stand he's taking for the Bucks.

RoseCity07
07-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I'm a little about who wants Yi out of Milwaukee, his handlers, Yi himself, or both. It's not right to enter the draft and then dictate the place you are going to go. He should get banned from the league and never allowed to enter it unless he signs with the Bucks.

TheOne
07-02-2007, 10:55 AM
why such a small town like Milwaukee has an NBA team?

adamcz
07-02-2007, 10:59 AM
It's many times bigger than Green Bay, which has no trouble selling out football games.

Rameek
07-02-2007, 11:00 AM
If I remember correctly he doesnt have to sign a contract sit out the year and re enter the draft next year

adamcz
07-02-2007, 11:02 AM
If I remember correctly he doesnt have to sign a contract sit out the year and re enter the draft next year
You make it sound easy, but it isn't. He'd have to some how get out of his contract with his Chinese team first, and that's the last thing they (the Tigers) want, because then they won't get paid a cent when Yi joins the NBA.

cdub1591
07-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I couldn't believe when I heard Yi saying he wanted out...Who is this kid?? He is a rookie..Where does he get off asking 4 a trade b4 he even try the team out...This kid is too cocky...Maybe Milwaulkee isn't the best market place for him but does this give him the right to want out already...Well if Milwaulkee does decide to trade him they should get something good in return. But im trying to understand why they drafted him with Villanueva and Bogut in the starting lineup..And im pretty sure Yi doesnt want to come off the bench...SO we will see what happens...:confusedshrug:

-Chris
ESPN GET AT ME

-primetime-
07-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I couldn't believe when I heard Yi saying he wanted out...Who is this kid?? He is a rookie..Where does he get off asking 4 a trade b4 he even try the team out...This kid is too cocky...Maybe Milwaulkee isn't the best market place for him but does this give him the right to want out already...Well if Milwaulkee does decide to trade him they should get something good in return. But im trying to understand why they drafted him with Villanueva and Bogut in the starting lineup..And im pretty sure Yi doesnt want to come off the bench...SO we will see what happens...:confusedshrug:

-Chris
ESPN GET AT ME
they don't have an asian population....he wants to go somewhere that he fits in

and he plays good ball...it is his life, he can do what he wants...kinda like Eli Manning refusing to play in San Diego.

Richie2k6
07-02-2007, 11:41 AM
they don't have an asian population....he wants to go somewhere that he fits in
That's a very stupid reason. :oldlol:

he can do what he wants...
True, but it's not neccessarily good for his image.

loot
07-02-2007, 11:45 AM
ship his ass to toronto. enough asians there

bk33
07-02-2007, 12:35 PM
I'd wanna know that's actually Yi's personal wish before I bash him.

adamcz
07-02-2007, 12:36 PM
it is his life, he can do what he wants
True, he can stay in China his whole life if he doesn't like the rules of the NBA. Nobody has to join the NBA if they don't want to.

Lebron23
07-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Yi must play in the NBA seriously if the rumor are true that the Dallas Mavericks are trading Devin Harris for Yi Jianlian (6th pick overall in the 2007 NBA Draft). That would be an amazing frontcourt for the Dallas Mavericks Dirr and Yi Jianlian, beside i could not see Yi Jianlian backing out and going back to China sort of a Fran Vasquez effect when he does not sign with the Orlando Magic and play in the Europe Instead.

Tarik One
07-02-2007, 12:40 PM

It's many times bigger than Green Bay, which has no trouble selling out football games.

There is absolutely no comparison to interest in the Packers versus that of the Bucks. None at all. Milwaukee is and always had been a dead town.

adamcz
07-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Why would the Bucks consider a horrible offer like Devin Harris for Yi? You must be joking.

jerky10
07-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Many players have done this in the past. I remember Steve Francis doesn't wanna play for the Grizzles. He wasn't drafted by the team but still he publicly stated that.

Chrono90
07-02-2007, 12:50 PM
I dont see Yi fitting in the Buck's roster. I'm sure Yi doesnt want to come off the bench. He wants playing time.

adamcz
07-02-2007, 12:51 PM
So you're saying the Bucks should move to the lively town of Green Bay?

Young HkM
07-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Yi wants out...Who does this kid thinks he is???

A victim of China's communist government.

Rasheed1
07-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Sixers are said to be still seriously pursuing Yi... Considering what we got in the draft, I'd love for Yi to come here...We got plenty of Asians for him....

adamcz
07-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I dont see Yi fitting in the Buck's roster. I'm sure Yi doesnt want to come off the bench. He wants playing time.
All bench players wish they had more playing time. They should try and get better so that the coach will be more inclined to give it to them.

dejordan
07-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Many players have done this in the past. I remember Steve Francis doesn't wanna play for the Grizzles. He wasn't drafted by the team but still he publicly stated that.
yes he was drafted by the grizzlies, but they traded him to the rockets for a big pile of crap because he threw a fit. i don't even recall what was involved anymore. erik dickerson i think. maybe kevin willis (who was already old) or othella harrington. possibly shandon anderson? i really don't remember anymore.

adamcz
07-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Sixers are said to be still seriously pursuing Yi... Considering what we got in the draft, I'd love for Yi to come here...We got plenty of Asians for him....
Outside of Iggy, the Sixers don't have much I would want. I know that AI is off limits, so that would mean no deal.

dejordan
07-02-2007, 12:55 PM
what trade pieces are being mentioned?

Kujo
07-02-2007, 12:59 PM
This was a high risk pick for the Bucks that could turn out to be disastrous. It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. Let's see if the Bucks remain firm in their stance of not trading him.

Rasheed1
07-02-2007, 01:05 PM
what trade pieces are being mentioned?

King wont be specific, but he claims they are still trying to get Yi here..

"We're busy working the phones still" - hope its more than just talk

Rockets(T-mac)
07-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Bucks didn't even see him in the pre draft work outs and they go and draft him stupid move. Then Yi say he doesn't want to play for them if he doesn't want to face the risks of the draft then he shouldn't have entered if he doesn't want to live with what he has then go back to the CBA.

Tarik One
07-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Not at all. My reply seems a little misleading. Fact is that the Packers have always had this worshipping fan base since pro football began regardless of what the town had to offer. Lambeau has been selling out for years, long before they started winning. Actually, the entire state of Wisconsin is full of cheeseheads. They don't give 2 shts about pro basketball up there. If the Bucks were to move to GB, it wouldn't make the slightest bit of a difference.

dejordan
07-02-2007, 01:10 PM
King wont be specific, but he claims they are still trying to get Yi here..

"We're busy working the phones still" - hope its more than just talk
yeah, you guys could use an athletic 4 with a j. i haven't seen much of the kid, but if he's as talented as they say he could be a real coup. or he could be darko depending on his confidence and work ethic.

JalenRawley
07-02-2007, 01:15 PM
yes he was drafted by the grizzlies, but they traded him to the rockets for a big pile of crap because he threw a fit. i don't even recall what was involved anymore. erik dickerson i think. maybe kevin willis (who was already old) or othella harrington. possibly shandon anderson? i really don't remember anymore.

Eric Dickerson? Wasn't he on the Rams?

I think you mean Michael Dickerson :D

adamcz
07-02-2007, 01:17 PM
If the Bucks were to move to GB, it wouldn't make the slightest bit of a difference.So in other words the size of the city isn't really all that important. Drawing the fans in is.

Bucks didn't even see him in the pre draft work outs and they go and draft him stupid move.Drafting the best player is hardly a stupid move. Caving in to hollow threats to draft a lesser guy is how you define stupid.

ChuckOakley
07-02-2007, 01:23 PM
What about

Simmons
Yi

for

Korver
Ollie
T.Young
J.Smith
2008 #2
?

Bucks get the #12 and #21 pick basically for the #6, plus they get a back-up PG (which they may need) as well as Korver, all the while giving up Yi and Simmons' contract and injuries.

BUCKS

M.Williams / Greer / Ollie
Redd / Bell
Korver / T.Young / Noel
Villaneuva / J.Smith / Markota
Bogut / Gadzuric

PHILLY

Miller / Williams
AI2 / Green
Simmons / Byars / Carney
Yi / Randolph
Dalembert / Hunter

Kblaze8855
07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Francis, Danny Ferry(when he was supposed to be great), Kobe, John Elway, Eli Manning, Bo Jackson, Kiki Vandawhatever, and Tony Dorsett did the same thing.

It happens. If you get good enough nobody gives a damn in the end.

dejordan
07-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Eric Dickerson? Wasn't he on the Rams?

I think you mean Michael Dickerson :D
my bad! :hammerhead:

Odenorbust
07-02-2007, 02:10 PM
What about

Simmons
Yi

for

Korver
Ollie
T.Young
J.Smith
2008 #2
?

Bucks get the #12 and #21 pick basically for the #6, plus they get a back-up PG (which they may need) as well as Korver, all the while giving up Yi and Simmons' contract and injuries.

BUCKS

Redd / Bell
Korver / T.Young / Noel
Bogut / Gadzuric

PHILLY

Miller / Williams
AI2 / Green
Simmons / Byars / Carney
Yi / Randolph
Dalembert / Hunter
Lol no. How about Jason Smith and Thad Young. That was the original deal and that might be it.

Odenorbust
07-02-2007, 02:10 PM
What about

Simmons
Yi

for

Korver
Ollie
T.Young
J.Smith
2008 #2
?

BUCKS

Redd / Bell
Korver / T.Young / Noel
Bogut / Gadzuric

PHILLY

Miller / Williams
AI2 / Green
Simmons / Byars / Carney
Yi / Randolph
Dalembert / Hunter
Lol no. How about Jason Smith and Thad Young. That was the original deal and that might be it.

BullRaps
07-02-2007, 02:21 PM
ship his ass to toronto. enough asians there

Yi for Calderon...Toronto needs a small forward anyways...how about a frontcourt of Bosh, Bargs and Yi...

ChuckOakley
07-02-2007, 02:25 PM

Well if you look at the trade then

Yi => T.Young and J.Smith
Simmons => Korver, Ollie, #2

Not far off, but I think Yi is worth more than Young and Smith (on and off the court), and depending on Simmons' health and production the second half could go either way, though it would appear to favor the Bucks now.

Lebron23
07-02-2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WivFuMlXCxA

Yi Jianlian NBA Draft Video

The 6th pick overall in the 2007 NBA Draft the Milwaukee Bucks select Yi Jianlian.

DCL
07-02-2007, 03:03 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48070

chains5000
07-02-2007, 03:27 PM
15 pages of posts about Yi?:confusedshrug:
ISH offseason...

Mathius
07-02-2007, 03:48 PM
15 pages of posts about Yi?:confusedshrug:
ISH offseason...

I don't think that's it. It's just that you get the typical ISH immaturity, where they want to start bashing the guy personally and making assumptions about his personality because he's a hold out.

Mathius

gts
07-02-2007, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE]Monday, July 2, 2007
Yi and the CBA

In looking through some of the posts I have seen today pertaining to the Yi Jianlian situation I feel that a clarification of Yi's bargaining position is needed. The first point that needs to be dealt with is the simple question of "How long does Milwaukee have Yi's rights?" To answer that question, here are a pair of excerpts from the NBA's collective bargaining agreement:

Section 4. Negotiating Rights to Draft Rookies.
(a) A Team that drafts a player shall, during the period from the date of such NBA Draft (hereinafter, the

adamcz
07-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Yi for Calderon
You're lucky I'm not the mod of this board, because you'd be banned right now. The value of this pick was very clearly outlined with the Allen and Richardson trades. Calderon isn't exactly that type of player.

Bucks have made it perfectly clear that they prefer to just keep Yi for themselves, so stop wondering if they secretly want to trade him.

Yi is a future allstar, and has to return a future or current allstar in trade, or no deal. End of debate.

Oden, Durant, Horford, Conley, J.Green, D.Williams, Paul, Iguadala, Bosh, Howard, Amare, Jefferson, Okafor, Smith, etc. If your offer isn't one of those guys, then no deal. Bucks have way too much to gain by simply keeping Yi on the roster.

TheOne
07-02-2007, 11:44 PM
True, he can stay in China his whole life if he doesn't like the rules of the NBA. Nobody has to join the NBA if they don't want to.

The rule is he can demand a trade. Live with it.

TheHonestTruth
07-02-2007, 11:44 PM
If I was McHale, I'd trade KG with Yi straight up.

supraman
07-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Now before we get into this thread,i'd jut like to point out that Yi has not publicly said he wants to leave Milwaukee or has demanded a trade. However but im sure he would've endedup in maybe CHicago or Golden State? but nonetheless his agents and representatives including Nike and the CBA are asking for a trade. This could damage his image and reputation in the NBA and also of his country.

Maybe its not his fault, but the CBA and Nike want more money sothey want him in a bigger market. I'd say just let him play ball.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/01/yis-agent-please-trade-him-milwaukee/

"Our agent team had meetings to study this case immediately after the draft," said Yi's Chinese agent Zhao Gang. [...] "We feel that the Bucks are not the best fit for Yi Jianlian. Our team will make contact with other teams who have watched Yi's training and games to see if there is any possibility of a trade."

qwerty
07-03-2007, 12:12 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47612

EricForman
07-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Maybe its not his fault, but the CBA and Nike want more money sothey want him in a bigger market. I'd say just let him play ball.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/01/yis-agent-please-trade-him-milwaukee/

Um no... I say don't just let him ball. I say David Stern gives him the ultimatum "SHOW YOUR ASS IN MILWAUKEE OR YOU AIN'T PLAYING BALL IN THE NBA, you ain't nobodya nd the L doens't need you"

EricForman
07-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Man forget this clown.

Stern should just look him dead in the face and say "show your ass up in Milwaukee or you ain't playing in the NBA. We don't need you"

el_locoteee
07-03-2007, 12:20 AM
His image can get damaged from this

http://www.asianreporter.com/stories/national/2006/47-p09-Jialin.jpg

to this

http://www.americansuperstarmag.com/sports/Mar06/gregoden1.jpg

gts
07-03-2007, 01:29 AM
Man forget this clown.

Stern should just look him dead in the face and say "show your ass up in Milwaukee or you ain't playing in the NBA. We don't need you" it's not that easy, if i remember right, when yao came to the rockets there was some hoops to jump through because of demands by the chinese goverment... mainland china is not like the usa when it comes to rights for their citizens and such... yi's agent is effectivley working for yi and the goveremnt at this point in time... so it may seem yi or his agent are playing hard to get but in all actuality theres a real good chance there's someone behind the scenes manipulating the situation...

Clutch_City
07-03-2007, 01:35 AM
230+ posts on Yi's trade demand? I don't think the kobe rumor didn't reach out this far. :oldlol:

TheOne
07-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Man forget this clown.

Stern should just look him dead in the face and say "show your ass up in Milwaukee or you ain't playing in the NBA. We don't need you"

How is he a clown?

Chairman Hu should look Sterm dead in the face and say "get Yi out of Milwaukee or you ain't selling anything in China." haha

td21spurs
07-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Now before we get into this thread,i'd jut like to point out that Yi has not publicly said he wants to leave Milwaukee or has demanded a trade.

Well he has to appear nice to the public. his agents and him are saying the opposite. how is that possible? do u really think that Yi really wants to play for the bucks like he said? :rollingeyes:

adamcz
07-03-2007, 10:39 AM
The rule is he can demand a trade. Live with it.
There is of course no rule that says you can do that. Only a rule that says you have to play for the team that holds your rights, or for no team at all.

cdub1591
07-03-2007, 12:16 PM
A deal has been layed down dat could perhaps send Yi Jianlian to team up in da front court with the other chinese phenom Yao...This alliance could bring damage in the west and possibly a ring to McGrady and the rest of the rockets...We will see what happens....

:banana:

-Chris Williams
ESPN COME ON GET AT ME:lol:

Fudge
07-03-2007, 12:17 PM
ok..link.

Collie
07-03-2007, 12:18 PM
That's pretty horrible for the Rockets.

Qwyjibo
07-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Rockets get raped in this deal. The Bucks should include AT LEAST either Redd or Villanueva as well, possibly more.

brantonli
07-03-2007, 12:20 PM
It would be a low blow to Bonzi afer he decided to return for 2 million, literally a bargain. Also, we will only have Yi and Novak as PFs, not my most reassuring PF options for any team.

saKf
07-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Chuck Hayes > Yi.

ThaKid
07-03-2007, 12:25 PM
U guys are kidding right???.....Rockets would rape in this deal because Wells' value dropped and they werent even using him and they did pretty good without him AND Hayes value isnt even that high anyways....and the Rockets finally get the PF they need

PG James/Alston
SG McGrady
SF Battier
PF Yi
C Yao

lineup is dirty and they will finally reach second round and maybe even West Finals...and I could see Yao and TMac both averaging around 25 with Yi averaging 15 with the new Aldeman system

A-MATT
07-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Hell no!!

Fudge
07-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Also, we will only have Yi and Novak as PFs
Don't forget our latest addition. Carl Landry. :party: