PDA

View Full Version : Why is the NBA on ESPN so different

tomtucker
12-19-2019, 01:31 PM
And horrible, compared to the other networks?

You got doris burke with the super boring monotone voice, analyzing every play right after it has been made, rattling off boring stats non stop, during actually gameplay !

then we got mike breen with mark jackson and jeff van gundy... just as terrible, instead of gameplay commentary, with have van gundy going on 5 min rants also during actual gameplay......it goes: "bla bla bla (as we see Lebron with the layup) bla bla bla"

Why is the NBA on ESPN so very different than FOX and the other stations, that actually talk about the game at hand, and not like ESPN, turn the game into a talk show, and just have the game as a backdrop.

??

superduper
12-19-2019, 01:40 PM
I think you're comparing national casters to local casters. National casters are there to appeal more to the casual watcher. Not that it's an excuse for what they currently have but it just seems like you're comparing apples to oranges.

90sgoat
12-19-2019, 01:47 PM
It caters to the lowest IQ fans.

Those people are interested in drama and flash over substance.

HoopologyPhD
12-19-2019, 02:10 PM
Fake entertainment news network covering a fake sports league.

Ghost1
12-19-2019, 05:01 PM
LeESPN

tomtucker
02-13-2020, 07:11 AM
notice how ESPN commentators is ALWAYS talking about something different than the game at hand !
very noticeable in this highlight video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JDgJxRtIaA

20 % play calling, 80 % babbling than belong in a sports talkshow on the radio

so boring and annoying to listen too...... why is there not a "arena sound only" option

Trollsmasher
02-13-2020, 07:19 AM
Breen, JVG and Jackson are just plain unlistenable these days

Breen doesn't have the ability to change intensity so he calls every shot like it's G7 of the Finals and those other two clowns rant about everything but basketball

JohnnySic
02-13-2020, 10:03 AM
They suck but I'll take them over Marv Albert every time.

lilteapot
02-13-2020, 10:51 AM
I'm not tolerating any Mike Breen disrespect.

JVG has his moments

Mark Jackson does suck and so do the rest of their color and play by play commentators.

r0drig0lac
02-13-2020, 11:23 AM
Mike Breen is the best

JohnnySic
02-13-2020, 12:22 PM
THEY HAVE TO FOUL!

Yes Mike, we get it, time is running out, and they have to foul.

brooks_thompson
02-13-2020, 06:51 PM
Yeah, Mike Breen seems like the consummate professional and has a great voice, but ultimately he's soulless and takes no liberties with his PbP like the true greats do. He's textbook to a T, and that gets boring after almost 20 years now. He's decent, but not nearly as humorous or playful with his banter, say like Marv and the Czar or Marv and anybody during his heyday. He might be the most competent person at his job in the world, which is both a compliment and criticism.

For nostalgia's sake, shout out to Bill Walton for constantly confounding and exasperating Steve Snapper Jones back in the day. I was never entirely sure Steve was onboard with the act...so many times it seemed like pure frustration bubbling up when he was paired with Walton.

tpols
02-13-2020, 06:53 PM
van gundy gives legit commentary. always playing the devil's advocate to the bullshit.

brooks_thompson
02-13-2020, 06:57 PM
THEY HAVE TO FOUL!

Yes Mike, we get it, time is running out, and they have to foul.

I laughed. Yeah man, we understand!

72-10
02-15-2020, 04:27 PM
I'd say it's mostly the different color coding and charts and graphs.

AngelEyes
02-15-2020, 11:56 PM
Kevin Harlan is the greatest sportscaster in sports currently and I would take him over Mike Breen 100 times out of 100. Marv Albert is terrible and has been terrible for several years but he was fantastic when he was younger and clearly superior to Breen.

FashionIssues
02-16-2020, 12:19 AM
keep the all star weekend out of cable tv.
you get saturday and sunday to showcase your brand and its on cable

eliteballer
02-16-2020, 12:32 AM
I miss NBC..they made it seem like fate of the world depended on NBA games.

Jay-B
02-16-2020, 08:45 PM
Always hated when they switched to espn/abc mike breem is a TERRIBLE lead broadcaster. What they need to do is switch back to NBC and use more turner broadcasting TNT and TBS

Hey Yo
02-17-2020, 03:00 AM
notice how ESPN commentators is ALWAYS talking about something different than the game at hand !
very noticeable in this highlight video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JDgJxRtIaA

20 % play calling, 80 % babbling than belong in a sports talkshow on the radio

so boring and annoying to listen too...... why is there not a "arena sound only" option
Depends on what the score is if they decide to babble or not

Lakers Legend#32
02-17-2020, 03:47 AM
Mike Breen is sooooo boring.

brooks_thompson
02-17-2020, 10:49 AM
I wish they’d unleash Gus Johnson on the NBA. When he gets maniacal and gets that cackling going, it’s pure entertainment, better than the game itself.

kentatm
02-17-2020, 12:37 PM
The only sport ESPN kicks everyones ass in coverage wise is college football and even that is screwed up b/c the playoffs and major bowls should be on ABC over cable.

tomtucker
02-17-2020, 02:16 PM
And van gundy right besides him go on 5 minute rants, that have nothing to do when the game we all are watching......... how the fukk can this be accepted by us, the TV audience ??