PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Timberwolves

Marchesk
12-19-2019, 08:58 PM
Three years ago, they were the Pelicans, with everyone excited about their future with KAT, Wiggins, Lavine, etc. This was the next OKC. And they were starting to look like it when Butler was healthy, but of course that didn't work out. So now they seem stuck, having lost 8 in a row, and not looking like they've improved since last season.

So where does Minny go from here? They're not bad enough to really tank, and they're not good enough to be a pretender, but they could still make a playoff push in the West for the 7th or 8th spot.

What does the future look like with the Wiggins/KAT core? Should try to trade for Holiday?

Clyde
12-19-2019, 09:29 PM
I laughed last week when the line up was KAT and 4 Small Forwards (Wiggins, Covington, Okogie, Culver).

I'd say blow it up, but there's nothing there

bobopenguin
12-19-2019, 09:33 PM
will trade kuzma for covington.

BigKAT
12-19-2019, 09:53 PM
Not gonna lie.

It's been tough this year. Last year too.

Karl Anthony Towns is a transcendent player. However, watching Anthony Davis thrives in LA makes me wonder if it's just not meant to be.

It's really hard to build around a Big-Man.

Supersized Do-it-all Wings are the bread and butter of Playoff contention and Championships.

Look at the last few Champions

2019 Kawhi
2018 Durant
2017 Durant
2016 Lebron
2015 the best player is Curry, but Iggy got FMVP for a reason (And cavs were ruined by injuries)
2014 again, you could argue the best player is either tony parker or Duncan, but the FMVP is a supersized wing
2013 Lebron
2012 Lebron
2011 Dirk.

You have to go all the way to 2011 to find a big man FMVP.

Don't get me wrong. All-NBA Big men are still monsters. But you just can't win unless you have an Elite Wing or Superstar Pointguard. You just don't win games.

Examples of that are:

Boogie in Sacramento putting Shaq numbers and still no playoffs
AD in New Orleans, monster numbers, no playoffs
even KG in Minnesota in the previous decade
Pau Gasol in Memphis just didn't get them all that far
Toronto with Chris Bosh never won a playoff series
Shit, even Yao Ming at the Houston Rockets underachieved.

TLDR,

This core doesn't work. I'm still going to support it. Halleluka.

Marchesk
12-19-2019, 10:09 PM
It's really hard to build around a Big-Man.

That seems to be the reality in the modern game. Embiid being the exception?

BigKAT
12-19-2019, 10:17 PM
That seems to be the reality in the modern game. Embiid being the exception?

Embiid does feel like the exception.

But then again,

Eastern Conference + Supersized Wing. (Simmons can't shoot, but he does offer things like Lebron-esque passing and ball handling. Simmons is also an elite defender when engaged.)

My point is that you can't run your offense through a big man nowadays full time. Just doesn't work. They'll get their stats. You'll get your L.

coin24
12-19-2019, 11:13 PM
You can't build around KAT because he's a soft beta, just like wiggy.

They have a few ok pieces but that isn't gong to cut it even in the current depleted west..