PDA

View Full Version : Debunking the myth about "Porzingis can't post up"

90sgoat
12-27-2019, 09:14 AM
This shitty myth has been perpetrated by the analytics morons.

In 2017/18 with the Knicks, KP shot 52% on 3 fga/gm from the Elbow.

KP was nr. 1 in the league in 2017/18 at FGM from the elbow!

https://stats.nba.com/players/elbow-touch/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=ELBOW_TOUCH_FGM&dir=1

It seems to me it would be a good idea to have KP shoot some shots from the elbow then.

ImKobe
12-27-2019, 09:19 AM
Well he shot a 37.1% eFG (0.81 PPP) from the post in 2016-17 season, according to NBA's stats page, he shot a 43.4% eFG (0.96 PPP) in the 2017-18 season. He got better at it but it doesn't make the Mavs' offense better. They currently have the best offense in league history without doing that, posting up KP probably hurts their offense more than anything because he's not a dominant post player. He's not Dirk and he's been terrible outside 3 ft this season.

DMAVS41
12-27-2019, 09:21 AM
This shitty myth has been perpetrated by the analytics morons.

In 2017/18 with the Knicks, KP shot 52% on 3 fga/gm from the Elbow.

KP was nr. 1 in the league in 2017/18 at FGM from the elbow!

https://stats.nba.com/players/elbow-touch/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=ELBOW_TOUCH_FGM&dir=1

It seems to me it would be a good idea to have KP shoot some shots from the elbow then.

He's never been efficient enough in those areas to warrant taking those shots over driving to the rim, getting free throws, or taking 3's...

Hence why he's never had an offensive rating over 108 for his career.

You think Rick doesn't know the math on this shit? He was asked about it last night and flat out said it would be stupid to do what you are talking about.

:roll:

90sgoat
12-27-2019, 09:21 AM
Well he shot a 37.1% eFG (0.81 PPP) from the post in 2016-17 season, according to NBA's stats page, he shot a 43.4% eFG (0.96 PPP) in the 2017-18 season. He got better at it but it doesn't make the Mavs' offense better. They currently have the best offense in league history without doing that, posting up KP probably hurts their offense more than anything because he's not a dominant post player. He's not Dirk and he's been terrible outside 3 ft this season.

He should get a lot of touches at the elbow for shots, post ups or drives. He is very good in that scenario with the tripple threat.

Like how Kevin Love was used in Minny.

DMAVS41
12-27-2019, 09:28 AM
He should get a lot of touches at the elbow for shots, post ups or drives. He is very good in that scenario with the tripple threat.

He just needs to make shots and free throws.

He's being used fine. It is harder to produce when trying to win games...something he's never had to do.

ImKobe
12-27-2019, 09:29 AM

I guess it could work down the stretch of a close game or when their offense is struggling, but it shouldn't be consistently within their game plan unless they have a match-up to exploit. I think part of it also has something to do with it being KP's first season back from a terrible injury so they're being cautious with how much load he has to manage.

90sgoat
12-27-2019, 09:29 AM
He just needs to make shots and free throws.

He's being used fine. It is harder to produce when trying to win games...something he's never had to do.

Nonsense.

He was an All Star and led the Knicks to a decent record in 17/18 with an absolutely atrocious team.

Porzingis was playing amazing for Knicks and WINNING until his anemia set in and he got injured.

People forget Zingis went off for 40 frequently with Knicks.

ImKobe
12-27-2019, 09:33 AM
Forgot to paste this in, but Porzingis is currently shooting a 28.3% eFG from the post (0.59 ppp), he does post up quite a bit (over 13% of his possessions) according to NBA's stats page but he's been terrible.

LAmbruh
12-27-2019, 09:33 AM
Who cares, posting up is an archaic outdated skillset of basketball used when players couldn't dribble or shoot outside 10 feet.

Nowadays 7 footers have handles of Hardaway, floor vision of Zeke and Mark Price range.

Similar to a long midrange 2, post game is becoming a silly past time we'll all look back and laugh on in the near future, just like a granny shot.

Rick said it best

https://i.postimg.cc/pXjccwjB/jhdrukly.png

DMAVS41
12-27-2019, 09:42 AM
Nonsense.

He was an All Star and led the Knicks to a decent record in 17/18 with an absolutely atrocious team.

Porzingis was playing amazing for Knicks and WINNING until his anemia set in and he got injured.

People forget Zingis went off for 40 frequently with Knicks.

I mean real games in a real conference...

Not a limited stretch that is way too small of a sample size to mean anything.

Again, he's never been efficient. He's never done it. He has a career 53% TS...and a career 105 offensive rating.

Tell me more how KP used to be something he never was.

DMAVS41
12-27-2019, 09:48 AM
It depends on the player. Lakers post up AD because he'll force most teams to either double or give up an easy basket or a foul, him and Embiid right now are the only two players who are really doing that on a consistent basis.

And the part about 7-footers being as skilled as some of the better 90s guards is false. Some of them have developed the 3-point shot but name me the actual 7-footers who have that skillset.

That is Rick's way of not saying;

"It is stupid to post KP more because he's not efficient enough to warrant it"

He obviously knows that guys good enough to post...warrant post touches.

ImKobe
12-27-2019, 09:49 AM
Who cares, posting up is an archaic outdated skillset of basketball used when players couldn't dribble or shoot outside 10 feet.

Nowadays 7 footers have handles of Hardaway, floor vision of Zeke and Mark Price range.

Similar to a long midrange 2, post game is becoming a silly past time we'll all look back and laugh on in the near future, just like a granny shot.

Rick said it best

https://i.postimg.cc/pXjccwjB/jhdrukly.png

Name me the 7-footers who fit this critera?

ImKobe
12-27-2019, 09:52 AM
That is Rick's way of not saying;

"It is stupid to post KP more because he's not efficient enough to warrant it"

He obviously knows that guys good enough to post...warrant post touches.

Of course he does, he had Dirk. Mavs have a historically great offense right now without needing to go to the post but they had some of the best offenses in league history with Dirk posting up and shooting mid-range shots all day.

sammichoffate
12-27-2019, 09:53 AM
Name me the 7-footers who fit this critera?Jokic and Durant

ImKobe
12-27-2019, 09:59 AM
Jokic and Durant

Isn't KD's actual height 6-9? Jokic has elite court vision but he's not the first big man to have that and he's barely a 30% 3PT shooter for the 2nd season in a row now. Mark Price was an elite 3PT shooter, I can't really name a legitimate 7-footer who's consistently shooting 40% from that distance at a high volume.

imdaman99
12-27-2019, 10:47 AM
Well part of playing with a better player is changing your game to suit him. He has to figure out to play with Lukaball. They are kids, they'll get it going it's literally 30 games into the season :oldlol:

ImKobe
12-27-2019, 10:51 AM
Well part of playing with a better player is changing your game to suit him. He has to figure out to play with Lukaball. They are kids, they'll get it going it's literally 30 games into the season :oldlol:

And they have the best offense in the league but we're making it an issue that they're not posting up? :lol

sammichoffate
12-27-2019, 10:52 AM
Isn't KD's actual height 6-9? Jokic has elite court vision but he's not the first big man to have that and he's barely a 30% 3PT shooter for the 2nd season in a row now. Mark Price was an elite 3PT shooter, I can't really name a legitimate 7-footer who's consistently shooting 40% from that distance at a high volume.I think it's w/o shoes, he's 7'0 if you round up with shoes on. Towns is absurd from three point range this season, 42% on 8.5 attempts per game.

ImKobe
12-27-2019, 10:59 AM
I think it's w/o shoes, he's 7'0 if you round up with shoes on. Towns is absurd from three point range this season, 42% on 8.5 attempts per game.

KD is only an inch taller than Lebron, there's no way he's even 7'0 with shoes. Towns is listed at 6-11.

sammichoffate
12-27-2019, 11:07 AM
KD is only an inch taller than Lebron, there's no way he's even 7'0 with shoes. Towns is listed at 6-11.He's lying then, he said that was his height a few years ago in an interview: https://www.slamonline.com/nba/kevin-durant-finally-admits-hes-7-feet-tall/

Draftexpress has him at 7'0
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Karl-Towns-61831/

I don't think it's a huge difference though, Dirk was listed as 6'11 on draftexpress when he's known as a 7'0 footer.

ImKobe
12-27-2019, 11:13 AM
He's lying then, he said that was his height a few years ago in an interview: https://www.slamonline.com/nba/kevin-durant-finally-admits-hes-7-feet-tall/

Draftexpress has him at 7'0
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Karl-Towns-61831/

I don't think it's a huge difference though, Dirk was listed as 6'11 on draftexpress when he's known as a 7'0 footer.

Nets listed him at 6'9 1/2'' this season and you can clearly see in games that he's about an inch taller than Lebron, there's no way Bron is 6'11 with shoes.

Towns is listed at 6-11 in NBA and Basketball-Reference.

sammichoffate
12-27-2019, 11:18 AM
Nets listed him at 6'9 1/2'' this season and you can clearly see in games that he's about an inch taller than Lebron, there's no way Bron is 6'11 with shoes.

Towns is listed at 6-11 in NBA and Basketball-Reference.So he was lying lol: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2858694-lebron-james-kevin-durant-klay-thompson-more-official-nba-heights-reported

ImKobe
12-27-2019, 11:40 AM
So he was lying lol: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2858694-lebron-james-kevin-durant-klay-thompson-more-official-nba-heights-reported

Probably. I remember him saying he's 7-ft tall when talking to ladies but 6-9 in NBA circles. :lol

FKAri
12-27-2019, 11:47 AM
Probably. I remember him saying he's 7-ft tall when talking to ladies but 6-9 in NBA circles. :lol
You remember wrong. KD's hated the idea of being listed at 7ft and originally requested to be listed under that.

ImKobe
12-27-2019, 12:02 PM
You remember wrong. KD's hated the idea of being listed at 7ft and originally requested to be listed under that.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/10/18/kevin-durant-height

[QUOTE]"For me, when I

90sgoat
06-17-2024, 10:41 PM

Lukaball without Zingis = losing ball.

Neal Romer
06-17-2024, 11:38 PM
Lukaball without Zingis = losing ball.

Lively actually had nice looking form on that random ass three he swished in game 4.

If he actually develops as a three point threat over the summer and can play on the floor WITH Gafford next year??

https://c.tenor.com/bD9vHNiR1rQAAAAC/tenor.gif

ILLsmak
06-17-2024, 11:47 PM
It’s funny. He def hits that high post middie consistently, but I remember when he came in I was like yeah I hope they aren’t basing their offense on that. He needs to be spacing and cutting, which he did well. Maybe he jacked some, but it’s the game now.

Then he comes into the finals after not playing and legit carries them at times as their go to scorer with that same ‘shoot over you’ pivot style. Giving dudes elbows in the mouth and shit. It’s like wowww this is gonna be ugly. Damn shame he had to take a couple games off, but i doubt the fans forget… and that dunk he blocked on the break.

He coulda won fmvp if he didn’t get that weird injury. He still balled n got a ring thooo.

-Smak

Neal Romer
06-17-2024, 11:52 PM
It’s funny. He def hits that high post middie consistently, but I remember when he came in I was like yeah I hope they aren’t basing their offense on that. He needs to be spacing and cutting, which he did well. Maybe he jacked some, but it’s the game now.

Then he comes into the finals after not playing and legit carries them at times as their go to scorer with that same ‘shoot over you’ pivot style. Giving dudes elbows in the mouth and shit. It’s like wowww this is gonna be ugly. Damn shame he had to take a couple games off, but i doubt the fans forget… and that dunk he blocked on the break.

He coulda won fmvp if he didn’t get that weird injury. He still balled n got a ring thooo.

-Smak

Yeah. He was not a good post up player in Dallas. I saw it with my own eyes and the numbers were very clear. They tried to feed him there early in his tenure and he just couldnt get baskets down low.

It was in Washington where he started to make those kinds of shots more consistently. And then obviously continued to do it well in Boston.

90sgoat
06-18-2024, 09:25 AM
He was injured in Dallas, that's why.

He does seem to have matured more so he doesn't jack up shots anymore, but he was always an elite midrange elbow shooter, literally the same shot that won Celtics the series, he hit those from day one in Knicks.

I'm happy to see Zingis get vindicated. I think he is fortunate to be on a team like Celtics though, because he can't stay healthy. He's like Bill Walton for that 80s Celtics team.