PDA

View Full Version : Being clutch doesn't make you a better player than the next guy

k0kakw0rld
12-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Nobody in their right mind will pick Robert Horry over Kobe but his clutch percentages are better than Kobe's, though...

Shogon
12-28-2019, 07:08 PM
Part of me agrees with you and part of me disagrees.

The part of me that agrees with you says that the psychological factor, which has nothing to do with the sport itself, can impact people's play for the good and for the bad but this isn't a real test of their ability to play the game itself... rather, their ability to handle psychological stress.

The part of me that disagrees with you says that while it may be irrelevant in terms of how good of a basketball player someone actually is, it DOES matter because it's part of the whole package... there will never exist a reality in which professional players play in isolated chambers in which the outside world and or the awareness of the situation they're in... that does not impact them psychologically.

So... yeah, IDK, really.

As far as Kobe goes... he's one one of the most overrated clutch players ever simply because of the volume of shots he made. He is indeed someone that was fearless in the sense that he was always looking for the ball in those moments, but it's also obvious he tightened up somewhat because his percentages dropped.

Who really knows anything, is what I'm saying. It's all a big mystery. We lack the means to objectively analyze any of this.

AlternativeAcc.
12-28-2019, 07:10 PM
fearless/delusional =/ clutch

more times than not, it equals cancer (kobe, melo)

tpols
12-28-2019, 07:12 PM
Stupid analogy.

If you have to pick a tie between two MVP players, clutch will matter.

Horry was a role player so... you're an idiot.

ultimate strawman.

FultzNationRISE
12-28-2019, 07:21 PM
Stupid analogy.

ultimate strawman.

That

3ball
12-28-2019, 07:26 PM
That’s true. For instance if Im comparing two guys who each have 1 MVP, like Kobe and Rose for instance, Ill take clutch into account.

Obviously nobody would compare a guy with 1 MVP to, say, a guy with 4 mvp. There’s already an obvious difference in impact there. Clutch doesnt really impact the situation.

Altho a player with 4 MVP is much more likely to be statistically clutch, hence all the MVPs
Lebron doesn't win those MVP's in the West

Do you think that Lebron would win 66 games and the 1 seed in the 80's East with the dynasty Celtics and Pistons?

Obviously not - and the 00's West wasn't much different - far tougher than Lebron's East

k0kakw0rld
12-28-2019, 07:27 PM
Stupid analogy.

ultimate strawman.
What is the importance of clutchness when it comes to deciding who's better player than the other?

AlternativeAcc.
12-28-2019, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=FultzNationRISE]That

3ball
12-28-2019, 07:30 PM
What is the importance of clutchness when it comes to deciding who's better player than the other?
when comparing similar players (i.e. franchise players), it's huge

it's the difference between winning a Finals game and losing it

but it isn't just big shots - if one guy is being defended easily by the opponent, while the other guy is forcing adjustments and double-teams, that's a factor down the stretch of games - teams tend to play Lebron straight up, whereas Kobe is getting doubled (i.e. Kobe passed to Artest to win it in 2010)

tpols
12-28-2019, 07:30 PM
That’s true. For instance if Im comparing two guys who each have 1 MVP, like Kobe and Rose for instance, Ill take clutch into account.

Obviously nobody would compare a guy with 1 MVP to, say, a guy with 4 mvp. There’s already an obvious difference in impact there. Clutch doesnt really impact the situation.

Altho a player with 4 MVP is much more likely to be statistically clutch, hence all the MVPs

star...

id like to call you a wide array of insults for this intricate web of bullshit but ill save me breath.

(or typin)

and just condule with a... **** you.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/2UEY8n8OI2BlWRE8jh/giphy.gif

Dray n Klay
12-28-2019, 07:31 PM
star...

id like to call you dumb for this intricate web of bullshit but ill save me breath.

(or typin)

and just condule with a... **** you.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/2UEY8n8OI2BlWRE8jh/giphy.gif

LeBron has more gamewinners on a higher FG% than Kobe :D

Kblaze8855
12-28-2019, 07:51 PM
Being clutch doesn

AlternativeAcc.
12-28-2019, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]Being clutch doesn

knicksman
12-28-2019, 08:20 PM
only an idiot would say this. It is in clutch that separates the statpadders and the real ones. You have no time for statpadding in these moments. Even kobe is a better passer than lebron during clutch time.

tpols
12-28-2019, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]
It

k0kakw0rld
12-28-2019, 08:36 PM
only an idiot would say this. It is in clutch that separates the statpadders and the real ones. You have no time for statpadding in these moments. Even kobe is a better passer than lebron during clutch time.
You are a Knicks fan. :roll: :lol

Statpadder got better clutch stats than Kobe though. Or Kobe isn't one of the real ones you are talking about? :confusedshrug:

knicksman
12-28-2019, 08:40 PM
You are a Knicks fan. :roll: :lol

Statpadder got better clutch stats than Kobe though. Or Kobe isn't one of the real ones you are talking about? :confusedshrug:

keep trolling instagram f@g

k0kakw0rld
12-28-2019, 08:43 PM
keep trolling instagram f@g
It isn't trolling at this point. We are living in a reality where the Knicks are the laughingstock of the league.

knicksman
12-28-2019, 08:46 PM
It isn't trolling at this point. We are living in a reality where the Knicks are the laughingstock of the league.

whatever instagram f@g