PDA

View Full Version : Dirk, 12/29/19: "To me, in my 20 years, Kobe was the best player I faced."

superduper
12-30-2019, 03:56 PM
Dirk: "To me, in my 20 years, Kobe was the best offensive, or best player I've seen or faced"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVTblMyXPe4&feature=emb_title

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o6Ztl1QaxgcDdSG4w/giphy.gif

superduper
12-30-2019, 04:01 PM
Quick someone show Dirk Kobe's bballref page STAT!! :mad: :mad: :cry:

Shogon
12-30-2019, 04:40 PM
For him to double down on the “for me, in my 20 years” rather than just saying “the best player I ever faced was” tells you all you need to know. He’s bullshitting on some level to the point that he doesn’t even have confidence in saying the words out loud.

Kobe was not better than Duncan, Shaq or LeBron.

3ball
12-30-2019, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=Shogon]For him to double down on the

superduper
12-30-2019, 04:43 PM

AirTupac
12-30-2019, 04:45 PM

Shogon
12-30-2019, 04:46 PM
he was better than all three, and real ballers know this

Anyone who has ever picked up a basketball knows that you

3ball
12-30-2019, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=Shogon]Anyone who has ever picked up a basketball knows that you

Real14
12-30-2019, 04:50 PM
Dirk got lucky cuz he had stars like Kidd, Terry, Marion and Chandler

superduper
12-30-2019, 04:50 PM
not Dirk apparently

keep drowning in the truth

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

"literally anyone that has picked up a basketball... except the majority of hall of famers that have played basketball at the highest possible level of competition in the universe".

Legit can't make Brantardation up :oldlol:

superduper
12-30-2019, 04:51 PM
Dirk got lucky cuz he had stars like Kidd, Terry, Marion and Chandler

Those same "stars" would be seen as washed up role player vets on Bran's teams stfu with that bullshit

Real14
12-30-2019, 04:54 PM
Those same "stars" would be seen as washed up role player vets on Bran's teams stfu with that bullshit
Chandler was a defensive player of the year, he own the paint. Nobody on Lebron's team had Chandler's defensive abilities. Kidd was a superstar and Terry is one of the best 6th man of all time.

3ball
12-30-2019, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=Shogon]

[B][COLOR="Red"]For him to double down on the

superduper
12-30-2019, 05:02 PM
Chandler was a defensive player of the year, he own the paint. Nobody on Lebron's team had Chandler's defensive abilities. Kidd was a superstar and Terry is one of the best 6th man of all time.

To answer your stupid DPOY statement he has Dwight...

To answer your other stupidity, which of the following did Dirk have on his team?

Former:
-MVPs (multiple)
-FMVP
-Another top 5 PER teammate let alone two
-Ray Allen/Kyle Korver

Because Bran's had all.

And now DPOY.

Thanks.

stalkerforlife
12-30-2019, 05:57 PM
He can't keep getting away with this!

AirTupac
12-30-2019, 05:59 PM

Then you must be really impressed with all the prime players LeBron has this season :lol :lol :lol

Real14
12-30-2019, 06:11 PM
Then you must be really impressed with all the prime players LeBron has this season :lol :lol :lol
All he have is A.D which is always injury prone and never led team past the SEMIS on his own.

Real14
12-30-2019, 06:12 PM
To answer your stupid DPOY statement he has Dwight...

To answer your other stupidity, which of the following did Dirk have on his team?

Former:
-MVPs (multiple)
-FMVP
-Another top 5 PER teammate let alone two
-Ray Allen/Kyle Korver

Because Bran's had all.

And now DPOY.

Thanks.
Ray Allen and Kyle Korver were nothing but good 3 point shooters.

AirTupac
12-30-2019, 06:13 PM
All he have is A.D which is always injury prone and never led team past the SEMIS on his own.

Prime AD
Dwight
Rondo
Green
Bradley
KCP
Mcgee
Cousins

Shit is nuts

Real14
12-30-2019, 06:19 PM
Prime AD
Dwight
Rondo
Green
Bradley
KCP
Mcgee
Cousins

Shit is nuts
Everybody else is washed up and just ok.

tpols
12-30-2019, 06:38 PM
not Dirk apparently

keep drowning in the truth

:lol

bowl cut boy knows doe.

check the stats doe.

stalkerforlife
12-30-2019, 06:42 PM

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-30-2019, 06:48 PM
Crazy how one players opinion mindfukks an entire fanbase.

Dirk dropped a pipebomb :oldlol:

eliteballer
12-30-2019, 06:54 PM
Chalk up another one for the good guys boys.

Da_Realist
12-30-2019, 07:10 PM
This is not a retired player looking at career achievements. Dirk squared up against Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Wade, Curry and LeBron during all their peak years.

LAL
12-30-2019, 07:15 PM
Aren't you the same dumbass who praises Pau gasol, who can't defend for shit and never won a playoff game before he came to LA?

NBASTATMAN
12-30-2019, 07:21 PM
This is not a retired player looking at career achievements. Dirk squared up against Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Wade, Curry and LeBron during all their peak years.

Robert Horry says Curry is better than Kobe in his prime.. Everyone has their own opinion..

Payton said that Stockton was harder to guard than MJ.. Everyone has their own opinion

superduper
12-30-2019, 07:29 PM
Crazy how one players opinion mindfukks an entire fanbase.

Dirk dropped a pipebomb :oldlol:

They almost mentally cracked when Luka said "it's a bit too much stats, Jordan is the undisputed GOAT and it's not close" :oldlol:

Shogon
12-30-2019, 07:37 PM
Anyone who would take Kobe over Shaq needs to be executed directly in the forehead with a bullet in front of everyone to see because there is absolutely nothing of any value that person can offer to society. Nothing.

eliteballer
12-30-2019, 07:38 PM
Dirk knows wsup with LeROID James

https://take2sports.typepad.com/.a/6a011168a54dff970c015433574a9f970c-800wi

https://cdn.chatsports.com/cache/f4/32/f4324e88cceb22fd174d949de7a6ba2c-original.jpg

superduper
12-30-2019, 07:44 PM
Anyone who would take Kobe over Shaq needs to be executed directly in the forehead with a bullet in front of everyone to see because there is absolutely nothing of any value that person can offer to society. Nothing.

That is not even the premise of what Dirk or anyone in here is saying LMAO.

It's just Bran stans twisting random shit up because they can't accept the reality of what Dirk said.

Good god.

eliteballer
12-30-2019, 07:46 PM

Uh sorry, you're 6-8 and can't dunk. You're not qualified to speak on basketball.

yeaaaman
12-30-2019, 07:46 PM

EvErYwUn HaVe M0sT sT@cKeD TeAm EvEr eXcEpT LeBr0n. lEbR0n WIn aGAiNsT AlL OdDs. EvErY TyMe.

tpols
12-30-2019, 07:49 PM
Shaq was sort of like bran in that he had poor intangibles and massive holes to exploit.

Look at how he used to get swept over and over. (figured out)

His talent was GOAT but he was a big man baby who couldnt shoot a free throw or close a game.

is what it is. :confusedshrug:

he needed kobe way more than kobe needed him.

Real14
12-30-2019, 07:54 PM
Shaq was sort of like bran in that he had poor intangibles and massive holes to exploit.

Look at how he used to get swept over and over. (figured out)

His talent was GOAT but he was a big man baby who couldnt shoot a free throw or close a game.

is what it is. :confusedshrug:

he needed kobe way more than kobe needed him.
Why Shaq have more FMVPS?

Real14
12-30-2019, 07:55 PM
Aren't you the same dumbass who praises Pau gasol, who can't defend for shit and never won a playoff game before he came to LA?
Pau gasol was still the real finals mvp in 2010 tho, Kobe needed him.

knicksman
12-30-2019, 07:59 PM
kids, dirk has spoken. Its over

Real14
12-30-2019, 08:02 PM
kids, dirk has spoken. Its over
Dirk was getting killed by antoine fat Walker in 2006 nba finals.

Mr.GOAT2408
You constantly having to tell us that "anyone who thinks Kobe > player x is dumb" over and over in this one thread (and getting more extreme about it) lets us know how much this bothers you :roll:

Could you make a case? Absolutely

But the vast majority of logical basketball observers side with Dirk on this matter, or at the very least can see his point of view. Deal with it

knicksman

Now I know why youre a bron stan statnerd

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-30-2019, 08:20 PM
They almost mentally cracked when Luka said "it's a bit too much stats, Jordan is the undisputed GOAT and it's not close" :oldlol:

Dirk might've finished the job lol

There've been a number of players who thought Lebron was the best. Kobe. Many of them rocked with Mike. And even Magic.

End of the day? Its an opinion. Who are we to challenge Dirk's life experiences? Or argue who HE, someone that competed verse Kobe for 20 years, thought was the best player :oldlol:

RRR3
12-30-2019, 08:25 PM
Dirk might've finished the job lol

There've been a number of players who thought Lebron was the best. Kobe. Many of them rocked with Mike. And even Magic.

End of the day? Its an opinion. Who are we to challenge Dirk's life experiences? Or argue who HE, someone that competed verse Kobe for 20 years, thought was the best player :oldlol:
So you were fine with Isiah Thomas saying LeBron>MJ?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-30-2019, 08:26 PM
So you were fine with Isiah Thomas saying LeBron>MJ?

I'm fine with Dirk's opinion.

Its his opinion.

And that's the thread topic.

3ball
12-30-2019, 08:27 PM
shaq has the better on/off, but I believe that Kobe has better longevity for winning rings

shaq was exploitable early in his career with penny, so he needed to get over that... once he did, his peak was short.

otoh, kobe had some young growing pains, but by the time he was 21-22, he was ready for primetime and had another 10+ years or great play

if Kobe had good help for those 10 years, who knows how many rings... more than shaq, that's for sure.. oh wait, he already has more than shaq… and more than shaq without having each other as a teammate

i'm not claiming kobe > shaq... i'm just saying it's more complicated than we think

Doranku
12-30-2019, 08:29 PM

RRR3
12-30-2019, 08:29 PM

Its his opinion.

Desperately dodging :oldlol:

tpols
12-30-2019, 08:30 PM

Its his opinion.

Also zeke had a clear agenda in that opinion.

What beef does dirk have?

He's not an emotional guy, and is clearly one of the most intelligent and overachieving players ever.

DMAVS41
12-30-2019, 08:31 PM
This isn't new.

Dirk has been saying this for a long time now.

Kobe always destroyed the Mavs and it would be sacrilegious to answer Duncan.

Dirk didn't play against Shaq much either.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-30-2019, 08:31 PM
Desperately dodging :oldlol:

Dirk thinks Kobe is better than Lebron. Sleep tight.

RRR3
12-30-2019, 08:34 PM
Dirk thinks Kobe is better than Lebron. Sleep tight.
Isiah thinks LeBron is better than MJ. Sleep tight.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-30-2019, 08:35 PM

He's not an emotional guy, and is clearly one of the most intelligent and overachieving players ever.

Of course RRR knew that.

But like most Lebron fans, they go thru hoops just to cope. Let them bathe in their own tears.

knicksman
12-30-2019, 08:35 PM
Isiah thinks LeBron is better than MJ. Sleep tight.

well if you think their opinions are the same, then its no surprise why youre a bron stan.

RRR3
12-30-2019, 08:36 PM

Ah when someone has an opinion you don’t like “biased!” “agenda! :mad:”

When they agree with you they’re completely “levelheaded” doe.

Got it.

tpols
12-30-2019, 08:36 PM
This isn't new.

Dirk has been saying this for a long time now.

Kobe always destroyed the Mavs and it would be sacrilegious to answer Duncan.

Dirk didn't play against Shaq much either.

what about wade and lebron?

two guys you have over kobe peak play...

you know more than your boy, mate?

DMAVS41
12-30-2019, 08:42 PM
what about wade and lebron?

two guys you have over kobe peak play...

you know more than your boy, mate?

Yep.

:confusedshrug:

Just like you think you know more than Paul Pierce when he said "only an idiot wouldn't take Lebron as the player of the decade"

My guess would be that if somebody told Dirk they'd take Lebron or Duncan or Shaq over Kobe...he wouldn't call them an idiot.

tpols
12-30-2019, 08:44 PM
Yep.

:roll:

you need to humble up then.

Dirk has more experience against whistle and bran than he did against Kobe.

DMAVS41
12-30-2019, 08:45 PM

Just like you think you know more than Paul Pierce when he said "only an idiot wouldn't take Lebron as the player of the decade"

My guess would be that if somebody told Dirk they'd take Lebron or Duncan or Shaq over Kobe...he wouldn't call them an idiot.

RRR3
12-30-2019, 08:45 PM

Dirk has more experience against whistle and bran than he did against Kobe.
The hypocrisy.

RRR3
12-30-2019, 08:48 PM

Be prepared for him to tell you that Paul Pierce is an idiot with an agenda and that he, tpols, is unbiased and a truth teller.

LAL
12-30-2019, 08:49 PM
Yep.

You're the one that chimed in on dirk's opinion acting like he just didn't want to say duncan. Why?

tpols
12-30-2019, 08:50 PM

Dirk is far more reputable than pierce.

Dirk's the most agenda-less, ego-less guy ever.

Pierce has a broadcasting career to protect and was always a punk.

RRR3
12-30-2019, 08:51 PM
Be prepared for him to tell you that Paul Pierce is an idiot with an agenda and that he, tpols, is unbiased and a truth teller.
Called it.

DMAVS41
12-30-2019, 08:52 PM
Dirk is far more reputable than pierce.

Dirk's the most agenda-less, ego-less guy ever.

Pierce has a broadcasting career to protect and was always a punk.

Nah, people have different opinions and it is okay.

Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't mean they are stupid or agenda driven.

Stupidity and agendas come in with you talking about Giannis.

RRR3
12-30-2019, 08:53 PM
Jerry West thought LeBron was better than Kobe a decade ago. Ttrolls won’t tell you that though.

DMAVS41
12-30-2019, 08:55 PM
You're the one that chimed in on dirk's opinion acting like he just didn't want to say duncan. Why?

What do you mean?

I simply pointed out that Kobe was a reasonable answer he's been giving for at least 5 years now and that the Mavs/Spurs rivalry makes it near impossible for him to say Duncan.

You guys don't understand how deep that hatred goes for Mavs and the fans.

Michael Jordan could have been in the league at his peak and almost nobody in the Mavericks organization would want to say anything nice if he was on the Spurs...same thing for the Rockets.

DMAVS41
12-30-2019, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=RRR3]Jerry West thought LeBron was better than Kobe a decade ago. Ttrolls won

LAL
12-30-2019, 08:59 PM
What do you mean?

I simply pointed out that Kobe was a reasonable answer he's been giving for at least 5 years now and that the Mavs/Spurs rivalry makes it near impossible for him to say Duncan.

Michael Jordan could have been in the league at his peak and almost nobody in the Mavericks organization would want to say anything nice if he was on the Spurs...same thing for the Rockets.
So dirk couldn't say duncan because of a mavs/spurs rivalry? Boy if you don't sit down..

tpols
Nah, people have different opinions and it is okay.

Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't mean they are stupid or agenda driven.

Stupidity and agendas come in with you talking about Giannis.

i mean... reasonable people can differentiate.

There are pierce quotes from their playing days where he dumps on lebron.

Were just pointing out context here.

And the hilarious part of it all is... its your favorite player ever, who was the one to speak in refute to your opinion.

You wasnt with Dirk shooting in the gym.

DoctorP
Everyone knows Jerry West doesn't know shit about winning basketball.

He only looks out for Lebron because they both can't get it done in the finals.

mad troller

:lol

RRR3
12-30-2019, 09:00 PM
So dirk couldn't say duncan because of a mavs/spurs rivalry? Boy if you don't sit down..
You suggested trading LeBron for Harrison Barnes and you expect us to take you seriously?

I think it’s you who needs to sit down.

dreamshake
Everyone knows Jerry West doesn't know shit about winning basketball.

He only looks out for Lebron because they both can't get it done in the finals.

Birds of the same feather, flock together. RRR3 also a loser so it makes sense why he constantly defends one.

Levity
ITT: lots of proactiv before pics getting butthurt about one guys opinion. oh my :lol

DMAVS41
12-30-2019, 09:01 PM

I'm just giving you the context.

He might pick Kobe regardless...outside of the playoffs...Kobe always put on a show against Dallas.

LAL
12-30-2019, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=RRR3]You suggested trading LeBron for Harrison Barnes and you expect us to take you seriously?

I think it

DMAVS41
12-30-2019, 09:03 PM
i mean... reasonable people can differentiate.

There are pierce quotes from their playing days where he dumps on lebron.

Were just pointing out context here.

And the hilarious part of it all is... its your favorite player ever, who was the one to speak in refute to your opinion.

You wasnt with Dirk shooting in the gym.

What does the opinion of Dirk have to do with me? Because he was my favorite player playing for my favorite franchise is not going to change how I think because we happen to disagree.

Hilarious? Grow up...

RRR3
12-30-2019, 09:04 PM
I'm trying to teach your dumbass how bad lebron's skills truly are when comparing to kobe.

Barnes is more skillful than Leflow
This is what we’re dealing with here, DMAVS. In case you didn’t already suspect.

DMAVS41
12-30-2019, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=RRR3]This is what we

Mr.GOAT2408
12-30-2019, 09:07 PM
What do you mean?

What the hell or you talking about? He can't say Duncan because there's bad blood between Dallas and San Antonio? Why the hell would he care about that? No one in Dallas is going to hate Dirk if he thought Duncan was the best he ever faced

To me and maybe others it comes out as a cop out for why (or at the least one of) your favorite player has a different opinion on who the best of his era was from your own, like "oh he's not allowed to correctly pick Duncan because of bad blood". No, he picked Kobe because from his perspective he never played against a better player. :biggums:

LAL
12-30-2019, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=RRR3]This is what we

DMAVS41
12-30-2019, 09:08 PM
What the hell or you talking about? He can't say Duncan because there's bad blood between Dallas and San Antonio? Why the hell would he care about that? No one in Dallas is going to hate Dirk if he thought Duncan was the best he ever faced

To me and maybe others it comes out as a cop out for why (or at the least one of) your favorite player has a different opinion on who the best of his era was from your own, like "oh he's not allowed to correctly pick Duncan because of bad blood". No, he picked Kobe because from his perspective he never played against a better player. :biggums:

Absolutely could be the case.

And he'd be wrong...in my opinion of course. Jerry West thinks one thing...Dirk thinks another, for example...not sure why this is news to anyone.

tpols
12-30-2019, 09:13 PM

Brutal.

Dirk holds no animosity against san antonio. he's not a petty dude. and he beat them at their peak lmao.

Duncan simply didnt have the extra gear Kobe had. Nor the peak brilliance.

Of course he also owned the spurs.

Dirk is simply keeping it real. and it has poasters here shook.

even his biggest fans.

superduper
12-30-2019, 09:14 PM
The Brantard brigade are literally losing their mental because they can't accept the reality that Kobe is much more highly regarded by their mutual peers.

"It's a bit too much stats...".

tpols
12-30-2019, 09:17 PM
Jerry West didnt play against any of these guys. :roll:

RRR3
12-30-2019, 09:17 PM
Jerry West thought LeBron was better than Kobe a decade ago. Ttrolls won’t tell you that though.
Ttrolls?

DMAVS41
12-30-2019, 09:19 PM
Jerry West didnt play against any of these guys. :roll:

So what? Often that clouds the judgment of individuals when actually evaluating players/teams.

Ever wonder why Jerry West is way better at building teams than Michael Jordan?

It could be that the two aren't actually related.

You have Shaq and Barkley on TNT yelling for KP to post up more. Rick got annoyed hearing about it and basically called them idiots. Do you honestly think playing makes Shaq/Barkley smarter? Of course not...honestly it makes them dumber because they can't get out of how it was done in their day...they don't care about facts like KP being a bad post player or the importance of spacing the floor...

If we can't call their opinions "dumb" just because they were great players...I give up.

knicksman
12-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Ttrolls?

In the end, as much as you guys hate it, players opinions are still more valuable than the espn nerds. And most of these players have kobe.

LAL
12-30-2019, 09:24 PM
So what? Often that clouds the judgment of individuals when actually evaluating players/teams.

Ever wonder why Jerry West is way better at building teams than Michael Jordan?

It could be that the two aren't actually related.

Listen, your first reply was extremly agenda driven and you were exposed. Why are you still acting like you're the level headed one here?

DMAVS41
12-30-2019, 09:27 PM
Listen, your first reply was extremly agenda driven and you were exposed. Why are you still acting like you're the level headed one here?

It actually wasn't.

You are confused here...

RRR3
12-30-2019, 09:29 PM
What’s the excuse for this one, ttrolls?

https://www.talkbasket.net/59038-david-west-thinks-lebron-james-is-better-than-michael-jordan

I’m trying to find ones by your ridiculously specific criteria (had to have played against both LeBron and Kobe, has to have no possible “agenda” in your biased opinion)

AirTupac

DMavs has always been a Kobe hater. I love when he pretends to be unbiased when he's clearly the opposite. What kind of stupid ass response was "Mavs have had bad blood with Spurs so he'll never pick Duncan". Rather than just listening to the horses mouth. Some mental gymnastics, its insane. These LeBron fans are honestly mentally fvcked in the head.

RRR3
The guy who said Harrison Barnes is more skilled than LeBron James accusing others of having agendas.

:yaohappy:

tpols
12-30-2019, 09:31 PM
DMavs has always been a Kobe hater. I love when he pretends to be unbiased when he's clearly the opposite. What kind of stupid ass response was "Mavs have had bad blood with Spurs so he'll never pick Duncan". Rather than just listening to the horses mouth. Some mental gymnastics, its insane. These LeBron fans are honestly mentally fvcked in the head.

yup... that was a total cop out.

Duncan and dirk absolutely never had beef. Because neither are the type for that.

Humble dudes. The ether is strong around here.

DMAVS41

This is literally what everyone else is doing...with West/Pierce/Thomas/Barkley...etc....etc...etc.

I simply gave the context to this...which is true...and also said it absolutely could be the case he actually believes it.

Regardless, anyone saying Kobe was better than Shaq/Duncan/Lebron is wrong. Doesn't matter who says it.

RRR3
I would have included Wade saying LeBron was either 1 or 2 with MJ but ttrolls would scream bias.

I remember scuzzy or someone used to keep making threads about people who called LeBron GOAT but I don’t track this shit like y’all do. Point is there’s plenty of these quotes.

DMAVS41
12-30-2019, 09:33 PM
yup... that was a total cop out.

Duncan and dirk absolutely never had beef. Because neither are the type for that.

Humble dudes. The ether is strong around here.

It is hard to be as ignorant as you are.

If you don't think the Spurs/Mavs hated each other you legit have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm a rare Mavs fan that gives props to the Spurs...most absolutely despise them.

As for the Kobe stuff...he's now ranked correctly. No need to hate on a fringe top 10 player ever.

LAL
12-30-2019, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=RRR3]I would have included Wade saying LeBron was either 1 or 2 with MJ but ttrolls would scream bias.

I remember scuzzy or someone used to keep making threads about people who called LeBron GOAT but I don

Da_Realist
12-30-2019, 10:00 PM
Robert Horry says Curry is better than Kobe in his prime.. Everyone has their own opinion..

Payton said that Stockton was harder to guard than MJ.. Everyone has their own opinion

Yes everyone has an opinion. Usually it's a retired player who played against a few but is giving an opinion about another from the sideline. Or a studio analyst. But it's different when a guy is making a judgment against guys he actually squared up against.

Mike Tyson can give me his opinion on Ali and I'd value it but there's a little something extra you find out about a guy when you step in that ring and go toe-to-toe.

That doesn't mean we should take their opinion as gospel. We are free to disagree. But this guy spent 20 years going toe-to-toe with some of the best to ever do it in the prime of their careers. He's battled Duncan. He's faced off against Kobe and a young Durant. He's faced LeBron in the Finals. He was in the league for all of Duncan's titles, Shaq's titles, Kobe's titles, Curry's titles, LeBron's titles... Even grabbed one himself.

When he says Kobe is the best he's faced, I have to give pause. I don't think I agree (I thought maybe he would have said Duncan) but the man faced off against all of them during the best years of their career and he chose Kobe.

Why Kobe? I find it curious he'd choose Kobe when so many of the media has buried him and act like he's irrelevant now. Why would the man choose Kobe if he didn't think so? He could have just as easily given a politically correct answer by saying, "Kobe was great. They're all great." But he didn't. He actually chose Kobe. He even elaborated on why he chose him. Listening to the interview, it sounds like he puts a premium on offensive skillset.

Whatever it was, it was a definitive choice. I think that says something. It doesn't mean we have to agree but it should make us pause before dismissing it.

Keno
12-30-2019, 10:02 PM
dirk can have his own opinion, doesn't mean he's not wrong, his opinion goes against factual evidence, facts, stats, context and eye test. but since it's an opinion, it's all good, respect.

LAL
12-30-2019, 10:08 PM
dirk can have his own opinion, doesn't mean he's not wrong, his opinion goes against factual evidence, facts, stats, context and eye test. but since it's an opinion, it's all good, respect.
So Lebron only has the stas on kobe according to your critirea

bison
12-30-2019, 10:14 PM
Damn, some nerves are getting struck in this thread :lol:

Well, Kobe will certainly have a way of doing that.

Keno
12-30-2019, 10:23 PM
So Lebron only has the stas on kobe according to your critirea

cringe...lebron has 5 all, over any player in history.

PickernRoller
12-30-2019, 10:27 PM
The low feeders can't handle the truth?

Let them gag on it... they'll swallow eventually. :oldlol:

superduper
12-31-2019, 12:02 AM
GOATbe :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

superduper
12-31-2019, 12:02 AM
cringe...lebron has 5 all, over any player in history.

Big time cringe

Phoenix
12-31-2019, 02:20 PM
I mean it's his opinion end of the day. :confusedshrug:

Dirk doesn't seem like an agenda guy nor does he present like someone
mindlessly shooting from the hip. He beat both Lebron and Kobe head to head in playoff competition so has no reason I'm aware of to favor one or be salty about either. It's crazy how long his career spanned and the players he's faced though.

superduper
12-31-2019, 03:14 PM
I mean it's his opinion end of the day. :confusedshrug:

Dirk doesn't seem like an agenda guy nor does he present like someone
mindlessly shooting from the hip. He beat both Lebron and Kobe head to head in playoff competition so has no reason I'm aware of to favor one or be salty about either. It's crazy how long his career spanned and the players he's faced though.

It's just interesting seeing these kinds of quotes from those who as you say have faced and beaten both of them while all of them were in their prime. Just weird that 90% of the message board warriors on the internet say Bran is 10 tiers above Kobe. Regardless of whoever you or I consider better it's just interesting seeing that for these HOFs that played with and against both, the gap for them is not far off at all the way the internet makes it seem with this stats culture.

Da_Realist
12-31-2019, 03:25 PM
It's just interesting seeing these kinds of quotes from those who as you say have faced and beaten both of them while all of them were in their prime. Just weird that 90% of the message board warriors on the internet say Bran is 10 tiers above Kobe. Regardless of whoever you or I consider better it's just interesting seeing that for these HOFs that played with and against both, the gap for them is not far off at all the way the internet makes it seem with this stats culture.

Well said

Phoenix
12-31-2019, 03:37 PM
Just weird that 90% of the message board warriors on the internet say Bran is 10 tiers above Kobe.

This forum more than most I've visited seems driven on emotive and agenda-driven arguments with little encouragement towards rational discourse. I personally have no horse in the Lebron/Kobe comparison, but I found his comments interesting but fairly vague beyond talking about Kobe from an offensive POV. I would have been interested in a further breakdown of why he feels that way, but it was just a small part of a bigger interview.

Bankaii
12-31-2019, 03:38 PM
Barnes is more skillful than Leflow
This forum is so bad:roll:

Indian guy
12-31-2019, 04:40 PM
I would have been interested in a further breakdown of why he feels that way, but it was just a small part of a bigger interview.

But athletes just don't do that. Their views tend to be pretty simplistic and are certainly devoid of any statistical knowledge/proof.

I'm pretty sure he believes Kobe's the best because 1) he was the most aesthetic and complete scorer of his era 2) was a ferocious competitor who feared no one. And those are 2 attributes athletes seem to hold in higher regard than any other. Skill level in particular is how you win them over because that's what's most pleasing to the eye, after all. It's certainly not the worst opinion to have. Kobe, at worst, was a top 4 player of Dirk's era along with TD/KG/LeBron.

For me, personally, an athlete's opinion is pretty worthless when it comes to judging the totality of a player's impact. If it's a specific skill or attribute like toughest to guard, strongest, meanest, dirtiest, then that's something I believe they would have a better vantage point of than me. But who's better in vacuum? There's just so much more that goes into that than merely what's most impressive to your eyes while watching a game. Athletes just don't know enough (yes, stats matter). And no, playing the game doesn't make your opinion more valid than an educated fans' opinion. Athletes say dumb shit all the time.

Real14
12-31-2019, 04:42 PM
Of course Kobe was the best during his career, no debate at all:biggums:

rmt
12-31-2019, 06:09 PM
It is hard to be as ignorant as you are.

If you don't think the Spurs/Mavs hated each other you legit have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm a rare Mavs fan that gives props to the Spurs...most absolutely despise them.

As for the Kobe stuff...he's now ranked correctly. No need to hate on a fringe top 10 player ever.

Some here don't "get" the Spurs/Mavs rivalry (and so unfair they were in the same division). Too bad for the Manu foul and even though this is the series Pop decided to go small-ball, their '06 series is still my all-time favorite playoff series. I do think Cuban would have said Duncan, though - seen enough of his frustrated looks from the sideline.