PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is so special about Melo now?

lilteapot
12-31-2019, 01:37 AM
What does he do well? Nikka sux

Real14
12-31-2019, 01:39 AM
He's playing for a good team now, unlike the knicks.

Faded
12-31-2019, 02:00 AM
he has a pretty large fanbase that loves to hype him up for some odd reason

I think its more insecurity for him hovering on the edge of being out of the league

Dr Hawk
12-31-2019, 06:40 AM
He is great at earning millions

Kblaze8855
12-31-2019, 09:02 AM
The same things he's always done minus some of the physical talent you lose with age. He's shooting 39% from 3 on about 4 a game. 16/6 and solid shooting outside from a tweener people legit believed couldn't play nba ball anymore(which was always idiotic) is perfectly fine. He's 35. He's doing fine all things considered.

Ghost1
12-31-2019, 09:04 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l1J9KPtCEbzCPFgys/giphy.gif

Shogon
12-31-2019, 10:11 AM
The same things he's always done minus some of the physical talent you lose with age. He's shooting 39% from 3 on about 4 a game. 16/6 and solid shooting outside from a tweener people legit believed couldn't play nba ball anymore(which was always idiotic) is perfectly fine. He's 35. He's doing fine all things considered.

No he’s not doing fine. He shouldn’t be in the NBA any more.

His defense is atrocious, he’s terrible at moving the ball and he no longer has that athleticism to mask the holes in his game. He is not an NBA quality player and only serves to hinder the development and cohesion of those around him. He might be nice to teammates and they may like him personally but it’s extremely noticeable that he changes teams for the worse on the court. EXTREMELY.

I’m not saying the dude can’t ball, he clearly can, but on an NBA level? What’s his role? The role of I occasionally get hot and play as good as I once was every 5 to 10 games and in the mean time chuck up bricks like I shouldn’t be in the league role?

He had a semi decent burst when he first came back which was fueled by whatever it was mentally fueled by and he promptly went back into the tank.

His three point shooting may be decent finally but he needs to stick to only shooting open shots then instead of trying to play like he’s the same player he was 10 years ago. Even after being borderline retired he still has no self awareness and barely any introspection going on.

He sucks as an NBA player, especially as a starter.

DMAVS41
12-31-2019, 10:32 AM

I'm not sure I'd call 50% TS "fine"...it is definitely poor overall because he insists on taking bad shots still.

But he's helping the Blazers and ultimately that is all that matters.

Still wouldn't want a poor defensive player that needs a lot of touches to score inefficiently on my team though.

Kblaze8855
12-31-2019, 11:15 AM
No he’s not doing fine. He shouldn’t be in the NBA any more.

His defense is atrocious, he’s terrible at moving the ball and he no longer has that athleticism to mask the holes in his game. He is not an NBA quality player and only serves to hinder the development and cohesion of those around him. He might be nice to teammates and they may like him personally but it’s extremely noticeable that he changes teams for the worse on the court. EXTREMELY.

I’m not saying the dude can’t ball, he clearly can, but on an NBA level? What’s his role? The role of I occasionally get hot and play as good as I once was every 5 to 10 games and in the mean time chuck up bricks like I shouldn’t be in the league role?

He had a semi decent burst when he first came back which was fueled by whatever it was mentally fueled by and he promptly went back into the tank.

His three point shooting may be decent finally but he needs to stick to only shooting open shots then instead of trying to play like he’s the same player he was 10 years ago. Even after being borderline retired he still has no self awareness and barely any introspection going on.

He sucks as an NBA player, especially as a starter.

While I appreciate this burst of know nothing knowitallism(having dabbled in it from time to time) Terry Stotts having played in the NBA and Europe for 10 years then coached for the last 30 has all the information you do and is going to play him anyway.

Perhaps because he like the many other people in basketball who said he belonged all along realized is that when you account for 30 teams and injuries Almost 500 people a season are NBA level players Along with several more hundred on the cusp playing elsewhere or simply choosing to star in smaller leagues.

You run out of guys who both play d and can shoot and score long before you hit the number of such people.

He’s nba level. The nba apparently agrees. Not much more to it.

We just can’t get past the fact that our observations in our spare time from doing peoples taxes and middle management don’t matter.

People in the nba think he should be there. You don’t. Guess who makes the call?

RoseCity07
12-31-2019, 11:20 AM
He's really killed the Blazers on some nights but when he shows up he's a good scoring punch. If the Blazers were fully healthy I think he would be more useful. The team is just ass right now and so no one on the team looks good.

superduper
12-31-2019, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure I'd call 50% TS "fine"...it is definitely poor overall because he insists on taking bad shots still.

But he's helping the Blazers and ultimately that is all that matters.

Still wouldn't want a poor defensive player that needs a lot of touches to score inefficiently on my team though.

The thing about Melo, especially now since it is being magnified harder since it is literally the only thing he can do at this point, is that the only way he has ever known to make an impact on basketball games is taking and hitting mid range jumpers. It's not just the fact that he's taking mid range jumpers that is the problem as we have seen through players like Kawhi/KD/etc that mid range still has value. However, the timing and shot selection of his mid range jumpers is so god damn attrocious. It's like he is unable to feel things like momentum and making the right play. Nah no matter what's happening in the game, the momentum of the past few mins of the game, etc, Melo is jacking up a low IQ shot every single time.

Shogon
12-31-2019, 11:38 AM
While I appreciate this burst of know nothing knowitallism(having dabbled in it from time to time) Terry Stotts having played in the NBA and Europe for 10 years then coached for the last 30 has all the information you do and is going to play him anyway.

What an nba player or coach or exec says or does or believes means nothing to me. Those guys are often wrong a lot. Jordan was one of if not the very best player ever and he eats total ass as a GM, owner and decision maker. Don’t use the clout argument. It’s the worst.

Perhaps because he like the many other people in basketball who said he belonged all along realized is that when you account for 30 teams and injuries Almost 500 people a season are NBA level players Along with several more hundred on the cusp playing elsewhere or simply choosing to star in smaller leagues.

You run out of guys who both play d and can shoot and score long before you hit the number of such people.

He’s nba level. The nba apparently agrees. Not much more to it.

The NBA doesn’t agree and Portland signed him out of absolute desperation and a Hail Mary. This will be his last year in the league whether he likes it or not so if he knows what’s best he will say that he’s retiring so he doesn’t have to publicly swallow this pill again.

We just can’t get past the fact that our observations in our spare time from doing peoples taxes and middle management don’t matter.

People in the nba think he should be there. You don’t. Guess who makes the call?

Just because he’s there doesn’t mean he should be there. Donald Trump is president of the United States, last time I checked.

LukeWalton
12-31-2019, 11:45 AM
What does he do well? Nikka sux

hes the brother of Lonzo

AirTupac
12-31-2019, 01:12 PM
Tatum - 21/7/3 on 42% and 35% 3pt

Melo - 16/6/1 on 41% and 38% 3pt

:lol :lol :lol

Kblaze8855
12-31-2019, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE]What an nba player or coach or exec says or does or believes means nothing to me. Those guys are often wrong a lot. Jordan was one of if not the very best player ever and he eats total ass as a GM, owner and decision maker. Don

HylianNightmare
12-31-2019, 01:46 PM
The farewell tour continues

CelticBaller
12-31-2019, 04:24 PM
define good

Real14
12-31-2019, 04:38 PM
Melo is a great 3rd option at this stage of his career:applause:

Uncle Drew
12-31-2019, 04:54 PM
Agreed.

Jasper
12-31-2019, 09:25 PM

I consider them a good team as well / but they have a horrible record.

I like Stouts as a coach , but something is off.

Melo fits with them as a 2nd/3rd option.

Smoke117
12-31-2019, 11:01 PM
Melo is a great 3rd option at this stage of his career:applause:

If your 3rd option is supposed to suck, then sure.