PDA

View Full Version : BigShotBob's Basketball IQ Test

BigShotBob
01-07-2020, 11:21 PM
I'll leave this up for a couple of days before giving out the answers.

A few things before we get started:

No Kblaze, you cannot participate. Sorry.

3ball, you cannot participate either. It's for a different reason why Kblaze can't though.

Discussions are fine and encouraged, but try not to derail the thread.

"Scenario" questions don't have a "right" answer. Only a sound explanation is required.
--------

Scenario 1 - You are the coach of the current roster of the Oklahoma City Thunder. The opposing team is playing a 2-3 zone. You know that in order to beat it, you have to set up a 1-3-1 in the half-court.

Set up the most optimum line-up to give your half-court offense the best chance of beating the zone.

https://www.basketballforcoaches.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/1-3-1-set-up.jpg

Place each player at the corresponding position where the numbers are located. I.E. - Dennis Shroeder - 1, Terrance Ferguson - 3, etc

2 - Your team is on the road against a team that is under .500. The opposing team's point guard is an unheralded player, but he is playing above his skill level at the moment. Half time has ended, and your team is down by 15. Which of the following adjustments will give your team the best chance of coming back?

A) Double-team the opposing point guard. Get the ball out of his hands and force his teammates to make a play.

B) Don't overreact. Stick to man-to-man coverage and see if he can stay hot for the rest of the game.

[Hint: This is not a scenario question. There is only one right answer.]

3 - Your team was up by 20 at home going into the second quarter. The opposing team made an 11-2 run to close the quarter. Which of the following would be the least optimal adjustment to make, if any at all?

A) Make no adjustments. The opposing team will flame out.

B) Play your starters at the beginning of the third to start the quarter off on a run and bring momentum back to your side.

C) Start the quarter with your five best defenders at each position and try to slow the game down.

Scenario 4 - You are a coach and you have attempted to implement a "free-flowing" offense to varying degrees of success. Your GM has told you that he expects to see your team in the playoffs. So far your team's record is five games above .500 halfway into the season, but your next five games are against the best defensive teams in the league. You fear that if your team slips then you could potentially fall out of the playoff race. What is your next move?

A) Shake things up. Play different players at different positions and see what works best.

B) Do not overreact. Tell your players that they are about to enter a tough stretch of games and remind them to trust the system.

C) Run your "back-up" offense, which consists of a Flex offense.

------

Have fun.

insidehoops
02-29-2020, 01:48 AM
This deserves a bump!

BigShotBob
02-29-2020, 07:27 AM
This deserves a bump!

High iq bump

Overdrive
02-29-2020, 07:33 AM
1: I didn't watch much NBA this year tbh. No time and I hate relive. Maybe 20 games and none had the Thunder in it so no concrete line up for that. 2-3 you mean 2 high 3 low? I'd overload a side with shooters and keep the center honest from the weakside. So you basically play 3 on 2 all game. They'd switch to matchup or man to man pretty quick.

2: B. If it was a wing or big I'd definately double and try to make him hesitated passes. But guy's a point guard for a reason. Doubling him will free up his teammates and he could control the outcome even more. Chances are bigger he cools off.

3 - Your team was up by 20 at home going into the second quarter. The opposing team made an 11-2 run to close the quarter. Which of the following would be the least optimal adjustment to make, if any at all?

3:More info is needed. How long did the 11-2 run take? 1 minute? They hit 3 quick threes and 2 fts on 3 shots while my team scored once on two shots? What happened before the 11-2 run? Is my team down now or still comfortably in lead? Did the bench close out the quarter?
No matter what I don't bring an all defensive line up coming into the 3rd. Obviously scoring was an issue here. My team receives 11 pts? That's between 4 and however much possessions. I only score on 25% or less of my possessions I need stronger offense.
If my first quarter wasn't an outlier I bring back that line up.

4: B. Nothing else makes sense. Playoffs are expected. 5 above 500? Depending on the conference and season I'm in. I don't implement a different offense mid seasons for 5 games. Might even make things worse. Weaker opponents will come again and even things out.

BarberSchool
02-29-2020, 10:11 AM
LOL @ Post-Harden/Ibaka/Durant OKC
2X LOL @ Westbrick Triple Double seasons
3X LOL @ CP3 OKC

Your premise ceased any enticement when it “OKC’d”