PDA

View Full Version : Is Kobe's tragic death top 3 most shocking thing in this century so far?

iamgine
02-13-2020, 06:00 AM
In my estimation:

#1 9/11
#2 Trump elected
#3 Kobe's death

Agree/disagree?

Stephonit
02-13-2020, 06:10 AM
Was going to say 9/11 and Trump too so that seems to be obvious. Is Obama being elected no longer considered surprising? The complete failure to head off the Great Recession was kind of eye-roll inducing too.

MrFonzworth
02-13-2020, 06:27 AM
Yea. I don't know if 911 will ever be topped. Seeing people jump off buildings and stuff. You can see it on stuff like LiveLeak now, but the amount of media coverage and what followed it will never be matched.

Andrei89
02-13-2020, 07:03 AM
Not sure of troll or not. Especially considering Australia is still happening right now but sure "Kobe's death is more shocking" than a country the size of a continent being literally on ****kin fire smfh

ImKobe
02-13-2020, 07:26 AM
Century? Probably not. Last 10 years? Yes.

guy
02-13-2020, 09:33 AM
Shocking thing? I don’t know, there’s way more important and impactful things that have happened for me to go there. 9/11, Obama elected, Trump elected, Katrina and every other hurricane, Saddam killed, Osama killed, the Indonesia Tsunami in 2004, so many shootings, etc.

In terms of celebrity deaths though, it’s easily no 1 for me. Not just this century, but ever. Michael Jackson and Prince were young but had their demons. Same goes for Tupac and Biggie. Most other celebrity deaths are when they are older, especially athletes, and especially in the NBA where most of it’s greats are STILL alive, even from the 60s.

Kiddlovesnets
02-13-2020, 12:38 PM
I dont think Trump's election was that shocking, the white middle class were already tired of the 'political correctness' nonsense from the democratic party for a long time. When Hilary Clinton claimed that the United States would absorb another 5 million of worthless refugees, her fate of losing the election was already sealed. We do not want more refugees, even 100 thousand is too many already and the democrats wanted to bring 5 million. Trump's manners and actions are controversial mostly, but we do know for sure that hes an America-First president, and hence why he was elected before and will again win this year.

MaxPlayer
02-13-2020, 01:13 PM
I dont think Trump's election was that shocking, the white middle class were already tired of the 'political correctness' nonsense from the democratic party for a long time. When Hilary Clinton claimed that the United States would absorb another 5 million of worthless refugees, her fate of losing the election was already sealed. We do not want more refugees, even 100 thousand is too many already and the democrats wanted to bring 5 million. Trump's manners and actions are controversial mostly, but we do know for sure that hes an America-First president, and hence why he was elected before and will again win this year.

**** trump. I'd prefer a refugee over you any day.

Kiddlovesnets
02-13-2020, 01:32 PM
**** trump. I'd prefer a refugee over you any day.

Unfortunately you are just yourself, cannot represent the most American registered voters. Most of us would be thrilled to see refugees sent back to where they came from, if a president promises to send back all refugees, he will get the votes from the entire middle class.
:banana:

FKAri
02-13-2020, 01:55 PM
In terms of celebrity deaths though, it’s easily no 1 for me. Not just this century, but ever.
John Lennon?

guy
02-13-2020, 03:03 PM
John Lennon?

Just my personal opinion based on what I know. That was before my time so I don’t really have the proper context. What made it more shocking then Kobe’s death? Just curious.

SamuraiSWISH
02-13-2020, 03:04 PM
Trump becoming president wasn’t shocking. A former actor became president decades ago. Trump being theorized as a presidential candidate had been something pontificated about long before it became a reality. Not to mention, he was running for president. And ran against a crazy bish. Not shocking he won at all.

For me? 9/11 is so far ahead as numero uno, nothing comes close.

Kobe’s death while extremely shocking, didn’t come entirely out of left field for me personally given I always thought it was more than a tad risky that his primary means of transportation for such a long time was via helicopter. Always had me slightly worried.

SouBeachTalents
02-13-2020, 03:22 PM
It seems ridiculous to put an election result between two people in the same category as 9/11, an event that is unmatched in American history, and one that (hopefully) I seriously doubt will ever be replicated.

I'd say Kobe's death is arguably the most shocking one of the 21st century, but that's the case anytime an icon dies young like Elvis, Lennon, Diana, Biggie & Tupac, Jackson etc. All time though, I'd have to believe JFK's would get the top spot. I can't even imagine hearing on the news that the president was shot

SamuraiSWISH
02-13-2020, 03:39 PM
It seems ridiculous to put an election result between two people in the same category as 9/11, an event that is unmatched in American history, and one that (hopefully) I seriously doubt will ever be replicated.

I'd say Kobe's death is arguably the most shocking one of the 21st century, but that's the case anytime an icon dies young like Elvis, Lennon, Diana, Biggie & Tupac, Jackson etc. All time though, I'd have to believe JFK's would get the top spot. I can't even imagine hearing on the news that the president was shot
Basically this ...

Docs Orders
02-13-2020, 04:08 PM
2016 Finals imo, was talked about for weeks after and still gets reminisced to this day

Kobe's tragedy has already slowly started to fade

Bronbron23
02-13-2020, 04:28 PM
In my estimation:

#1 9/11
#2 Trump elected
#3 Kobe's death

Agree/disagree?

Strongly disagree. It was tragic and very sad but worse things happen to people everyday. Its not even top 1000 this century

Phoenix
02-13-2020, 04:47 PM
I'd say Kobe and Michael Jackson are easily the highest profile celebrity deaths this century. I'm using their global icon status as measuring sticks. What separates Kobe was that he was so vibrant and healthy( as far as we knew) and his death along with the others on-board was just so sudden and horrific.

Prince is up there too, but I'm not sure if the world literally stopped as it seemed to do with Kobe. Whitney Houston's death was huge, but she had well-publicized personal demons so her passing, while premature age-wise, didn't have the same gut-wrenching shock value. Plus Whitney was IIRC mostly out of the public eye around the time of her passing, I remember she was attempting comebacks but drug abuse had stripped her of her legendary voice, so she never returned to the level she was at in the 80's/90's. Kobe was making Oscar-winning stories and was trending literally the day before he died( because of Lebron passing him in scoring). He was still very relevant and in the public eye.

Lakers Legend#32
02-13-2020, 05:48 PM
Trump's election was more tragic than 9/11

iamgine
02-13-2020, 10:34 PM
I'd say Kobe and Michael Jackson are easily the highest profile celebrity deaths this century. I'm using their global icon status as measuring sticks. What separates Kobe was that he was so vibrant and healthy( as far as we knew) and his death along with the others on-board was just so sudden and horrific.

Prince is up there too, but I'm not sure if the world literally stopped as it seemed to do with Kobe. Whitney Houston's death was huge, but she had well-publicized personal demons so her passing, while premature age-wise, didn't have the same gut-wrenching shock value. Plus Whitney was IIRC mostly out of the public eye around the time of her passing, I remember she was attempting comebacks but drug abuse had stripped her of her legendary voice, so she never returned to the level she was at in the 80's/90's. Kobe was making Oscar-winning stories and was trending literally the day before he died( because of Lebron passing him in scoring). He was still very relevant and in the public eye.

Worldwide I'm sure Michael Jackson's death is more shocking but as far as the US, I feel Kobe's is more shocking because of much more familiarity with him and his family compared to the world.

Smoke117
02-13-2020, 11:06 PM
Is this a joke? He was just a basketball player. To say this in any kind of objective way is ridiculous.

Real14
02-13-2020, 11:09 PM
Yea I agree. Kobe's death alongside with Michael Jackson 's death are definitely in the top 3 for most shocking in this century thus far.

SamuraiSWISH
02-14-2020, 02:18 AM
Trump's election was more tragic than 9/11

Why would someone say something as ignorant and insensitive not to mention stupid as this?

Do you realize the tragic, and horrific loss of life that day? It fractured the American psyche for a long period. Also started the war on terror and all that has inflicted as a result on the world.

Trump is an immature jack ass but the economy is decent right now and he’s just a president for four years. No matter how you feel about him, comparing his presidency to that extreme form of terrorism and loss of life is appalling.

LAmbruh
02-14-2020, 02:25 AM
consensus top 12th shockers

iamgine
02-14-2020, 02:50 AM
Is this a joke? He was just a basketball player. To say this in any kind of objective way is ridiculous.
Many people are mistaking shock with impact although the two can be intertwined. For example, I'd say overall balloon boy was more shocking than Craig Sager's death.