PDA

View Full Version : Zion's a center.

DoctorP
02-14-2020, 09:21 AM
He looks like the small-ball version of Shaquille Oneal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ej7TPk0_to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ej7TPk0_to

hiphopanonymous
02-14-2020, 03:15 PM
That’s why I don’t compare him as much to Barkley as I do to Wes Unseld. Only he’s got pogo sticks and mid-air hang time on top of that - he’s a center in my eyes as well from what I can tell he’s unstoppable in the post no matter who’s guarding him

Real Men Wear Green
02-14-2020, 04:45 PM
He's more like Barkley because like Barkley he's not a pure anything. Power players with extreme leaping ability that can also dribble. Williamson has some game from the perimeter to penetrate with and shoot a little. Shaq was nothing but low post.

dirkdiggler41
02-14-2020, 04:49 PM
Shaq played with his back to the basket. Zion can go both ways, and he is clearly no Shaq in the post, but he still damn good. What he does very well is getting post position with his strength. He also does some great catches. That is very Shaq like. He seems to be a mix between Shaq and prime Blake Griffin.

DoctorP
02-14-2020, 04:51 PM
yeah, he's not Shaq but what I meant by small-ball version of Shaq is that he has a Shaq game but evolved to small ball which means 3 pointers and the occasional midrange. Yeah Barkley is a great comparison, but Zion seems even more dominant inside than Barkley, hence why I went Shaq but yeah it's somewhere in between, ultimately.

bizil
02-14-2020, 09:00 PM
He's more like Barkley because like Barkley he's not a pure anything. Power players with extreme leaping ability that can also dribble. Williamson has some game from the perimeter to penetrate with and shoot a little. Shaq was nothing but low post.

BINGO!!! People forget that Chuck ALSO played the SF spot while he was in Philly somewhat often. Even though PF was his primary position, he used to swing to the SF when they went to big lineups. The league had NEVER SEEN a player that heavy run the three spot. But Chuck was a FREAKISH ATHLETE who had many of the tools that the some of the great SF's have. For example, Chuck FOR DAMN SURE had the handles of an elite SF. His handles back then were ACTUALLY better than any other SF in that era for awhile. His handles were BETTER than Bird, Nique, King, Worthy, English, etc. He could push the fast break like a runaway freight train. And play like a point forward. His passing ability was BETTER than many SF's. Other than Bird and Pippen, I can't name any other SF's who were BETTER passers than Chuck. But he ALSO had the toughness, rebounding, and post presence of the great PF's.!

When u look at Zion, he basically has ALL THESE ELEMENTS. But he's an EVOLUTION to Chuck. They aren't exactly the same. BUT among all the great players in NBA history, it's EASY TO SEE Chuck is the closest comparison to Zion. Just like Bron was an evolution to guys like a Magic or Pippen. Of Shaq was an evolution to Wilt in many ways. What makes Zion scary to me is the FACT that he's a much better defender than Chuck. I don't think his scoring skillset and passing is as good as Chuck's yet though either. I still like Zion at the PF spot. But given his physical tools, ability, and that era of small ball, of course u can run him at the C spot.

BarberSchool
02-14-2020, 09:07 PM
Fatter, more explosive Rodney Rogers with less handles.
AKA Small forward/PF combo.
Higher injury risk than Rodney Rogers, due to bad angles of pronation in knees and almost 300lbs.

Hopefully, he gifts the world a great dunk contest or two before his career ends early due to recurring injuries.

brooks_thompson
02-15-2020, 01:27 AM
I just hope they don’t try to encourage him at all toward the type of lebron/harden/doncic heliocentric center of the offense. For all of Gentry’s flaws, he’s using Zion well so far and has the right idea of what he should be.