PDA

View Full Version : Suggested changes for the NBA Slam Dunk Contest?

insidehoops
02-16-2020, 12:29 PM
What format, judging, etc. changes would you suggest for the NBA Slam Dunk contest?

The rules, the number of dunkers, the number of dunks each dunker gets, the number of rounds, the judges, HOW the judges judge, etc?

BurningHammer
02-16-2020, 01:20 PM
The first 4 rounds is fine as it is.

The dunk-off should be only one round with judges picking who is the better dunker after both dunkers complete their dunks to decide the winner.

ImKobe
02-16-2020, 01:44 PM
Fans should be the ones to decide the winner in the final round via online voting.

bison
02-17-2020, 05:23 PM
Remember when Jamal Crawford went through the legs to Blake Griffin on an alley oop during a clippers game? I was thinking maybe they should make it a duo event and have the passes/lobs be as crazy as the dunks. Have it a 2-person event. And your assist guy doesn’t necessarily have to be on your team.

sd3035
02-17-2020, 05:54 PM
Same as it is now but after 3 or 4 dunks in the final round if there's no winner, they have one final dunk each and the judges don't rate it out of 10

The judges watch each person's final dunk and get to review the replays and vote one or the other with no scoring

They announce their pick one at a time to create tension in case it's close

MrFonzworth
02-17-2020, 09:53 PM
Eliminate one person at a time. Wanted to see what Pat had in the chamber.

bobopenguin
02-18-2020, 01:15 AM
they need to put defender there, so we can actually see a posterise dunk + a real actul dunk under the proper basketball rule.

imagine aaron gordon tries to 360 under the leg dunk on AD, AD would smack that ball out of stadium.

MrFonzworth
02-18-2020, 02:04 AM
they need to put defender there, so we can actually see a posterise dunk + a real actul dunk under the proper basketball rule.

imagine aaron gordon tries to 360 under the leg dunk on AD, AD would smack that ball out of stadium.

Probably the worst idea anyone anywhere has ever come across on this subject.

FKAri
02-18-2020, 02:29 AM
I'd like to see more props and costumes. An introduction of other forms of storytelling such as spoken word or interpretive dance. What I had in mind was a re-enactment of Jodorowsky's 1973 film, The Holy Mountain where one man plays all the roles, superimposed in all the shots. The visual could be streamed directly to the inside of everyone's eyelids and provide an inescapable VR experience. At the end of which a hand-sculpted marble replica of an official basketball scaled up to 7 miles in diameter enters the atmosphere and crash lands on the arena. I hope Silver sees this post.

dreamwarrior
02-18-2020, 03:01 AM
invite a pro dunker to participate.

Celtics 1825
02-18-2020, 03:05 AM
Probably the worst idea anyone anywhere has ever come across on this subject.
That dude's quickly becoming one of my least favorite posters of all time.

GimmeThat
02-18-2020, 04:42 AM
last I check, in a percentage game, the only way to change 100%, is lowering that percentage, as it is impossible to go beyond it.

bobopenguin
02-18-2020, 07:48 AM
That dude's quickly becoming one of my least favorite posters of all time.

doesnt hide away the facts tatum is coming to lakers.

Phoenix
02-18-2020, 09:29 AM
The biggest problem I see with the contest is the lack of any marquee names. You can reinvent the wheel all you want with the formatting, but seeing the stars go at it was part of the spectacle. Someone on the TV made a good point( can't recall who now): of all the high profile stars who are/were known for their aerial game, Lebron's the only one not to compete in the dunk contest.

Miles and Miles
02-18-2020, 03:43 PM
Everyone gets two dunks in the first round. No scoring. After the round rank all the individual dunks in order. The guys that had the two best dunks advance. They get two more dunks each and rank those. The one with the best overall individual dunk wins. The 50 point scoring thing doesn't work because everyone gets 50s.

90sgoat
02-18-2020, 05:24 PM
The first round is a Legend competition.

The contestants have to imitate various legendary dunks.

JEFFERSON MONEY
02-18-2020, 06:12 PM
Just be creative like Michael Finley was with his cartwheel.

Bring back guys like Kenneth Faried.

BurningHammer
02-18-2020, 06:52 PM
The first round is a Legend competition.

The contestants have to imitate various legendary dunks.
They have done that with the spinning wheel thing. It failed spectacularly.

insidehoops
02-18-2020, 10:11 PM
:pimp: