PDA

View Full Version : In the 90s the lanes were jam packed

Walk on Water
02-18-2020, 04:57 AM
I’m not sure how Lebron and Giannis would have made a living back then. There really was no room or space to drive the lanes. That’s why you needed a jump shot, you needed a mid range, perhaps a fade-away or a post game or hook shot. And you had to be willing to get hit.

Maybe they would have got some free throws. But it wouldn’t have been easy. You needed skill back then. Being able to drive was simply not enough. That’s why a lot of the big men dominated. Physical play was an asset.

Do they have some kind of rule now where you have to give defenders a certain amount of space? Because back then there was hardly any space. It was clogged.

Guys like Leonard or Durant would still do well. Maybe not KD because he’s soft, but Leonard could handle the beatings. And his midrange shot would be beneficial.

I’m convinced that Lebron would have been a solid 18-19 ppg scorer in the 90s.

GimmeThat
02-18-2020, 05:18 AM
FG% by shot clock usage doesn't lie.

jstern
02-18-2020, 05:38 AM
I wonder how someone like Antekumpo would fair in terms of handles while being hand checked.

Walk on Water
02-18-2020, 06:43 AM
Laimberr wouldn’t have given Giannis an inch.

Phoenix
02-18-2020, 09:05 AM
This is David Robinson's 71 point game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24NLqvKER1c

Just to give you an idea of what his offensive game was like at this peak. And he's probably the closest size/athletic comparison I can think of to Giannis. And if you transported Freak to 1992, I'm thinking he would have looked somewhat similar to this. He would have the athletic edge on most at his height/size and use his quickness to make his move from the elbow. The Admiral had a decent mid-range jumpshot though, which Freak would have needed to deal with the packed paints.