PDA

View Full Version : Show me the roster of a team built for your enjoyment. A team cut from your "cloth".

Kblaze8855
02-20-2020, 06:43 AM
My friends and I often notice players who instantly seem to be the type of player we gravitate to. Due largely to this Mike Tyson interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaSwPnsTFY4

We often describe them with something like:

"Gary Payton....PJ Brown...hes from their cloth"

One such current guy being Demarcus Cousins. Demarcus is a 70s baby trapped in the modern age.

I acknowledge the skills of all great players but they arent all just...my kind of great. And its not just about who the best is. Obviously if im looking to build a team id want the best players but this isnt that. Isnt an all time team....its a "Your kinda player" team.

My kinda player? I need defense usually(very few exceptions). Lacking great D I need at least defensive effort. I need a lack of friendliness on the court. Id like someone who rises to a challenge be that taking the big shot or trying to dunk on _____ to prove a point or demanding to guard ______ because he feels its his duty. No one thing. Its a mentality. May show itself in a number of ways. And I kinda want you to be a jerk. ITs hard to be as competitive as I want you to be and be liked by the other team. So....im thinking my squad is something like this....while not trying to stack it with every suitable superstar. Going for a somewhat realistic lineup. Lets say you only get 3 current or future hall of famers....I want to see a lineup that could realistically exist...

Gary Payton/Vernon Maxwell
Manu/Danny Ainge/Tony Allen
Scottie Pippen(Since Bird would take this too far into superteam status for me)/Stacey Augmon
Charles Oakley/PJ Brown
Portland Sabonis(choosing this version I think shouldnt count as a hall of famer...its like taking Vlade...yea hes a hall of famer but not because of who he was in the NBA.)/Steven Adams

Thats 11. Maybe give me Robert Horry as a 3-5 spot guy or maybe even Lou Williams to get 8 minutes a night.

Im gonna need Pat Riley coaching.

That team is cut from the cloth of my fanhood.

Id watch all 82 games and not care if they lost in the second round. Whoever they played in the second round would probably lose the conference finals due to the fight they went through to beat them.

Who is on your "My kinda team" squad without just giving me your all time all nba first team?

Kblaze8855
02-20-2020, 07:29 AM
Imagining all this on one roster is giving me fan swoons:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PopularTartJaeger-size_restricted.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BothRecentIguana-size_restricted.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RepulsiveUnlinedGermanspaniel-size_restricted.gif

All that passing, old man craftiness, defense, and scumbaggery?

Id trade any roster in the NBA for that squad just to get to watch it.

Let me round out the 15 man roster with Kirk Hinrich, Anthony Mason, and Keon Clark to not make it too talented but greatly increase the chance of us winning the title and someone yelling "Hennything is possible!" in a post game interview. And id get at least 2 nice posters a year outta Keon even if he did make it hard to keep Vernon sober. I dont know if he actually drank a bottle before every single game but....he said he did...and his perpetually bloodshot and watering eyes gave me no reason to doubt him.

Akeem34TheDream
02-20-2020, 07:37 AM
Billups, Ray Allen, Kawhi, Danny Granger, Duncan
At bench:Tayshaun prince,Zach Randolph, Joe Johnson, Al Jefferson, Andre Miller and Lamarcus Aldridge.
A bunch of fun guys.

Akeem34TheDream
02-20-2020, 07:39 AM
I dislike arrogant behaviors. Just stfu and do your job.

Kblaze8855
02-20-2020, 07:51 AM
I dont mind arrogant good players. I dont mind arrogance in general if you worked your ass off to be good enough to be arrogant. Some really great team players were/are arrogant as hell. Larry Bird was an absolute dick who talked more than anyone. He was arrogant...but he didnt play a selfish game. Thats the important part to me.

Gary Payton was arrogant as hell but he competed, moved the ball, played wicked D, and inspired others. I dont mind guys like that....or guys like Jordan. Its hard to be that good and not be arrogant. Guys walking around arrogant in day to day life without earning millions and having the adulation of fans all over the world. You dont wanna know how insufferable id be if I were as good as Larry Bird or Michael Jordan were and made millions because of it. My ego can barely be contained now in some situations. Cant let me dunk on a 7 footer to win a playoff game and expect me to be decent.

Youre gonna hear from me. It would be a downright wrestling promo. Id be telling fans I spent more money on spilled liquor than they made. I might actually have someone fashion me a velvet cape to wear to the press conference if we won a title. Im coming out like Chad Butler....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIHVQgQeFkc

Some hot mic would catch me singing "I think they feel like im a threeeeeat..cause Im an old school mother****ing veeeeeeet" off camera so im in no position to judge.

DoctorP
02-20-2020, 08:43 AM
As a Heat fan, I would say that kind of cloth is outdated and not that important anymore. If you have a team full of them you are going nowhere, In this era, you need skill guys. But of course every team does need a bruiser, a toughy... an Iguodala, a Ron Harper, a Robert Horry. Guys that do their job, play hard and don't shrink in the big moments.

My team:

Horford
Horry
LeBron
Klay
Lillard

Kblaze8855
02-20-2020, 09:07 AM
Power forwards aside im wondering who on that team you think isnt a skilled player.

Gary, Manu, and Pippen were pretty well rounded id say. Especially if you consider aspects of defense to be skills which id say you have to.

chains5000
02-20-2020, 09:19 AM
Rasheed Wallace would fit on that team too

superduper
02-20-2020, 09:33 AM
Mine would look something like-

Billups
Klay
Kawhi
Duncan
Prime Marc Gasol

Defense first is where it's at.

DoctorP
02-20-2020, 10:06 AM
Power forwards aside im wondering who on that team you think isnt a skilled player.

Gary, Manu, and Pippen were pretty well rounded id say. Especially if you consider aspects of defense to be skills which id say you have to.

Looking at your team, Id say it doesn't really have those overachieving non-skilled Riley guys so much. Your'e teams fine. It has all-pros at most positions. Oakley and Brown would not really get off the bench much in this era as you know.

Guys like Justise Winslow, Anthony Carter, Joel Anthony... are just not that effective today.

starters:

pg-john stockton (hall of fame)
sg-jeff hornacek
sf-bobby jones (hall of fame)
pf-dennis rodman (hall of fame)
c-bill laimbeer

second unit:

pg-mark price
sg-jerry sloan
sf-detlef schrempf
pf-larry nance
c-joakim noah

11th man-michael cooper
12th man-mark eaton

13-15th men-patrick beverley, bo outlaw, dale davis

Ainosterhaspie
02-20-2020, 04:36 PM
CP3/Dellavedova
Lebron ('09)/Miller
Pippen/Battier/Korver
Davis/Rodman/Draymond Green
Robinson/Laimbeer

Starting unit has elite defense, that should lead to a lot of transition scoring with plenty of high flying dunks and beautiful passes.

Bench allows small ball spread floor for young LeBron to attack the basket. It is also full of grinders and instigators to get under the skin of opposing players and take them out of their game mentally.

Lineup is versatile and will work well against many different styles: slow physical battles, high pace shootout, small ball, big lineups. They can play any way. I like teams that are versatile.

JEFFERSON MONEY
02-20-2020, 04:44 PM
Chris Jackson
Tariq Abdul Wahad/Dion Waiters
Kenneth Faried/Hedo Turkoglu
Hakeem Olajuwon/Enes Kanter
Kareem Abdul Jabbar/Shaq O Neal

Humble, kind, soft-spoken, principled, hard working, gets the job done, electrifying dunks, smart b-ball IQ.

red1
02-20-2020, 04:54 PM
current players:

I like lebron because he is a flashy showman
I like kawhi because he is cold-blooded
I like fred vanvleet because he is the definition of a fighter. an underdog in every way that always rises to the occasion
I like anthony davis because he is quite frankly the perfect big-man for the modern NBA
I like kyle lowry because he will fire up the team and bring that intensity and heat. smallest guy on the team leading the entire league in charges

most importantly they are all high-IQ players that DEFEND. thats my squad of current players.

tpols
02-20-2020, 06:30 PM
the Go0n squad.

tony allen
caron butler
ron artest
ZBo
Ben Wallace

sjax off the bench.

:pimp:

Ainosterhaspie
02-20-2020, 09:01 PM
the Go0n squad.

tony allen
caron butler
ron artest
ZBo
Ben Wallace

sjax off the bench.

:pimp:

Fill it out a bit. Stockton, Bowen, Rodman, Malone and Laimbeer seem to work with what you're doing. Almost forgot Zaza.

Ainosterhaspie
02-21-2020, 03:30 PM
CP3/Dellavedova
Lebron ('09)/Miller
Pippen/Battier/Korver
Davis/Rodman/Draymond Green
Robinson/Laimbeer

Starting unit has elite defense, that should lead to a lot of transition scoring with plenty of high flying dunks and beautiful passes.

Bench allows small ball spread floor for young LeBron to attack the basket. It is also full of grinders and instigators to get under the skin of opposing players and take them out of their game mentally.

Lineup is versatile and will work well against many different styles: slow physical battles, high pace shootout, small ball, big lineups. They can play any way. I like teams that are versatile.

Missed the only 3 HOFers qualifiers, so I'll adjust.

CP3/George Hill/Dellavadova
Danny Green/Majerle
James/Battier/Richard Jefferson
Nance Sr./Ibaka
Robinson/DAJ

brooks_thompson
02-21-2020, 03:35 PM
2014 Spurs. I know it's easy to just drop a team in there (and this was before it was clear Kawhi was HOF, and after the other guys had already peaked, so don't give me the HOF limit) instead of handpicking players. But 2014 Spurs Finals team will forever be the peak of my personal NBA experience. It's already crystallized since the game has changed quite a bit in 6 years. From here on out I’m just an aging dude still enjoying the NBA but knowing nothing can top that.

FultzNationRISE
02-21-2020, 03:49 PM
Oden
Ibaka
James
Pippen
Childs

Sixth: That nerdy banker who kicked MJ’s ass 1 on 1.

red1
02-21-2020, 03:56 PM
Oden
Ibaka
James
Pippen
Childs

:roll:

red1
02-21-2020, 04:43 PM
My friends and I often notice players who instantly seem to be the type of player we gravitate to. Due largely to this Mike Tyson interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaSwPnsTFY4

I love this shit :roll:

iron mike is a king

atljonesbro
02-21-2020, 05:30 PM
Gimmie team offense and shooting
Pg: Steph
Sg: Klay
Sf: Larry Bird
Pf: Kevin durant
C: KAT
Trae Young
Damian Lillard
Ray Allen
Dirk
Peja
Jokic
Reggie Miller

Just shoot everyone off the court. It’s not possible to match that level of offense

superduper
02-21-2020, 05:41 PM
Gimmie team offense and shooting
Pg: Steph
Sg: Klay
Sf: Larry Bird
Pf: Kevin durant
C: KAT
Trae Young
Damian Lillard
Ray Allen
Dirk
Peja
Jokic
Reggie Miller

Just shoot everyone off the court. It’s not possible to match that level of offense

I found D'antoni.

tpols
02-21-2020, 07:10 PM
Fill it out a bit. Stockton, Bowen, Rodman, Malone and Laimbeer seem to work with what you're doing. Almost forgot Zaza.

most of those dudes arent gangster at all... just cheap shot artists.

3ball
02-21-2020, 08:13 PM
here's the team that would maximize ball movement/brand and shooting/spacing, aka the "82-0 team" - NO PRIMARY BALLHANDLER REQUIRED:

PG Curry
SG Jordan
SF Kawhi
PF Dirk
C Robinson

^^^ goat ball movement and spacing, aka goat team... this team would overwhelm everyone - think 2014 Finals-style beatdowns every night

and again, no real PG or primary ballhandler - just ball movement - typical of all the dynasties, aka Bulls, 00's Lakers, Spurs, Warriors

90sgoat
02-21-2020, 08:20 PM
I'll take your old guy squad and counter my 90s new school, break your ankle and dunk, team.

Penny
Frobe
Grant Hill
Shawn Kemp
Rik Smits

Rik Smits is there to set screens and space the floor.

Ainosterhaspie
02-21-2020, 08:50 PM
He said 3 hall of farmers max. I made same mistake too at first, but sticking to that limit makes things more interesting.

90sgoat
02-21-2020, 08:53 PM
He said 3 hall of farmers max. I made same mistake too at first, but sticking to that limit makes things more interesting.

Ok, that's even better!

Sticking with my "New School Ankle Breaker" team.

Penny
Frobe
Grant Hill
Antonio Davis
Theo Ratliff

Don't need any post scoring with this much wing scoring, I just go for defense and rebounding.

Ainosterhaspie
02-21-2020, 09:05 PM
Would love to see something like:

Magic/Livingston/Kerr
Penny/Redick
DR J./Bowen
Bird/Stoudemire/Odom
Capella/Adams

insidehoops
02-21-2020, 10:50 PM
Fun topic

ShawkFactory
02-21-2020, 11:45 PM
Jason Kidd/Andre Miller
Rip Hamilton/Lou Williams
Ron Artest/Tayshaun Prince/Thaddeus Young
AK47/Lamarcus Aldridge
Hakeem/Steven Adams

Insane defense on the 1st team with Hakeem carrying the load scoring. But the offensive chemistry would work.

Second team would be savvy offensively with rebounding and defense.

aceman
02-23-2020, 09:41 PM
here's the team that would maximize ball movement/brand and shooting/spacing, aka the "82-0 team" - NO PRIMARY BALLHANDLER REQUIRED:

PG Curry
SG Jordan
SF Kawhi
PF Dirk
C Robinson

^^^ goat ball movement and spacing, aka goat team... this team would overwhelm everyone - think 2014 Finals-style beatdowns every night

and again, no real PG or primary ballhandler - just ball movement - typical of all the dynasties, aka Bulls, 00's Lakers, Spurs, Warriors

Pippen was primary ball hander. Rebounder always handed ball to him (sometimes Kerr).

DoctorP
02-23-2020, 10:03 PM
My team was cut from my foreskin.

aceman
02-23-2020, 10:23 PM
Unseld
Rodman
Pippen
Reddick
Magic

Bogut
Kukoc
Caruso

Run n gun offense. 2010 Bogut provides post scoring. Caruso helps back court defense

Reggie43
02-23-2020, 11:07 PM
Anfernee Hardaway, George Hill

Reggie Miller, John Starks

Andrei Kirilenko, Corliss Williamson

Horace Grant, Clifford Robinson

Alonzo Mourning, Marcus Camby

Pipes2.0
02-24-2020, 12:42 AM
Oden
Ibaka
James
Pippen
Childs

I feel this guy is only in here because of what he is best known for :lol

MoBe1Kanobi
02-24-2020, 12:02 PM
Gilbert
Shump
Kobe
Amare
Alonzo Mourning

With Odom off the bench

Horatio33
02-24-2020, 02:06 PM
My team was cut from my foreskin.

Not much to work with then.

90sgoat
02-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Anfernee Hardaway, George Hill

Reggie Miller, John Starks

Andrei Kirilenko, Corliss Williamson

Horace Grant, Clifford Robinson

Alonzo Mourning, Marcus Camby

Nice

KD7
02-24-2020, 04:01 PM
Chauncey Billups / Lou Williams
Reggie Miller / Tony Allen
Scottie Pippen / Kyle Korver
Sheed Wallace / Rashard Lewis
Tim Duncan / Serge Ibaka

highwhey
03-03-2020, 06:01 PM
https://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Snacks-Jackson-State.jpg

thomas "Snacks" Lee

SouBeachTalents
03-03-2020, 06:17 PM
Westbrook/Marbury
Iverson/Wiggins
Melo/Mashburn
Toine/Abdur-Rahim
Cousins/Jefferson

90sgoat
03-03-2020, 06:26 PM
JJ Barea
Lance Stephenson
Hayward
Kawhi
Boris Diaw

ronniec
03-03-2020, 07:28 PM
If trash talking is allowed and you can say whatever you like to the refs/fans... actually a lot of them would be fun to watch.
GARY PAYTON

KissMySwag
03-03-2020, 07:33 PM
All Prime All Time solely for my enjoyment?

Pg- Steve Francis

Sg- Vince Carter

Sf- Dominique Wilkins

Pf- Shawn Kemp

C- Shaquille O'Neal

tpols
03-03-2020, 07:50 PM
just for shits and gigs...

the big boy squad

Eddy Curry
glen davis
barkley