PDA

View Full Version : NBA Considering 40-Minute Games, Target Score Ending For Potential Midseason Tourny

eliteballer
02-20-2020, 07:31 PM
A midseason tournament and a separate play-in tournament for the final two playoff spots in each conference remain high on the NBA's wish list, the NBA's president of league operations Byron Spruell told Zach Lowe of ESPN.

There is still hope that both could be added in time for the 2021-22 season, and that the league would want to add both at the same time.

Under the current proposal, a midseason tournament would take place between Christmas and the week of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Pool play games would be scheduled alongside regular-season games. The top-eight teams based on pool play would then meet in a single-elimination tournament.

There is also discussion of using 40-minute games for the elimination portion of the tournament, as well as an Elam Ending-style target score during elimination games.

"We were already looking at 40-minute games to make those games look a little different," Spruell said. "So here again [the target score] is something we would consider."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28739732/nba-likely-use-target-score-again-next-year-all-star-game

Turbo Slayer
02-20-2020, 07:42 PM
It seems cool. :banana:

FultzNationRISE
02-20-2020, 09:01 PM
I mean, any changes they make will seem cheesy and contrived at first. Just like the three point line and whatever other past amendments that now seem completely reasonable and standard.

Eventually everyone will just get used to it and that'll be that. So ultimately, it really doesnt matter.

RRR3
02-20-2020, 09:12 PM
Just fire Silver already.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-20-2020, 09:15 PM
Tighten up the rules so defenses have more leeway. Anything but MORE games. Trivial ones at that.

Mask the Embiid
02-20-2020, 09:38 PM
Whatever it takes to make these mfs play harder im down with it.

Celtics 1825
02-21-2020, 03:10 AM
Why the **** is this midseason tournament thing actually about to happen? Did anyone even ask for this crap?

Phoenix
02-21-2020, 03:28 AM
Are they cutting down the number of season games? Otherwise you got guys load managing 82 games now. You're going to squeeze tournament play into that?? Risk injury? Imagine a teams chance to win a title derailed by a major injury occurring in an ultimately inconsequential mid-season tournament.

DCL
02-21-2020, 04:09 AM
sounds dumb af

Phoenix
02-21-2020, 05:15 AM
League needs to make the regular season relevant again, not introduce all this meaningless shit. Go to a 7 seed format, top seed with first round bye and pick of their 2nd round opponent. Should have teams both at the top fighting for the extra advantage that comes with top seed, while raising the bar for the last seed. League won't do it because it's one less first round matchup meaning less revenue, so we're stuck with players coasting and load managing their way through the season.

I do think they're onto something with the 'play to a certain score' format in the all-star game.

SouBeachTalents
02-21-2020, 05:30 AM
I for real don't remotely understand this midseason tournament they're trying to push. Absolutely nobody would give a shit about it, not the players, not the fans, it would mean even less than the all-star game

zeerghit
02-21-2020, 06:14 AM
I for real don't remotely understand this midseason tournament they're trying to push. Absolutely nobody would give a shit about it, not the players, not the fans, it would mean even less than the all-star game

this s*it is actually very successful in europe.. give a try

FultzNationRISE
02-21-2020, 06:21 AM

People wont give a shit about it, BUT.... theyll still show up to the arena, and theyll still watch on television. Even if they dont take it seriously. So itll still make money.

Aint nothin changed, public gon public.

Phoenix
02-21-2020, 08:03 AM

Its like they're trying change shit for change sake, but not addressing the core issues. Who honestly is going to care about a mid-year tournament?

SouBeachTalents
02-21-2020, 08:16 AM
Its like they're trying change shit for change sake, but not addressing the core issues. Who honestly is going to care about a mid-year tournament?
They can't even get the players to care about the regular season, voluntarily sitting out games and being put on load management.

Do they really believe these dudes are gonna go all out for a tournament that the league just conjured out of thin air. That the players or fans are gonna brag about winning a title that has no history or meaning to anybody involved. Let's see how much they hype up that midseason title after losing in the playoffs :oldlol:

brutalBBQ
02-21-2020, 05:34 PM
Just play FIBA rules like the rest of the world.

Haymaker
02-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Sorry but this tourney should be for the bottom of the barrel teams.

superduper
02-21-2020, 07:43 PM
Would they really be that willing to change the total minutes in a game? They would be the first sport to do so and it would be a drastic change in terms of history and past statistics/records. I don't know... not so much for the idea of minutes/total games change, even though I understand the benefit.

Midseason tourny is stupid af, isn't that what allstar is supposed to sort of be? :oldlol: