PDA

View Full Version : Which decade was easiest for a superstar to play in?

FultzNationRISE
02-21-2020, 07:03 AM
I feel like it has to be the 90's, right??

For one, the 3 point line was moved in for half the decade, plus they didnt allow zone defense. This created a "DeRozan" affect which narrowed the skill requirements for elite players.

The other thing is, in the 80s for instance, you had to face a dynasty squad in the finals no matter which conference you came from. If you were the Big 3 Celtics or the Bad Boys Pistons, you had to face off against the Showtime Lakers. Of course you also had to quickly dispatch Woolridge's Bulls on the way, which was a pretty easy task, altho to be fair he didnt have a ton of help. And if you were coming from the West, you had to battle the Big 3 or the Bad Boys. Basically there was no easy road to a championship.

But in the 90s, the best player of the era was already on the only dynasty team, and they never even faced the second best player of the era, Hakeem. Plus there were all these expansion teams which diluted the talent pool because foreign players were still poorly scouted for the most part.

Then in the 2000s you had dynasty teams like the Spurs and Lakers, but then the LeGOAT of the era on a separate team. So there were contenders coming from every direction. Same with the 2010s, where Lebron has to go up against a 73 win team, and a 73 win team has to go up against Lebron. There was so much more parity and competition.

But that's just my opinion. Let's discuss this topic together and see where the rest of you stand on this issue.

Cheers :cheers:

superduper
02-21-2020, 07:41 AM
Which era was this in?

https://i.makeagif.com/media/12-15-2018/7rkDFz.gif

Uncle Drew
02-21-2020, 07:46 AM
Definitely the 90s. Who wouldn't want to play against your local car mechanic and grocery bagger?

nayte
02-21-2020, 08:21 AM
I think it was more around 03-04 or so when they changed the rules to make lesser players seem as good as the 90’s players imo

Stanley Kobrick
02-21-2020, 09:14 AM
won't let me vote but 90's was the least talent the NBA ever had

FKAri
02-21-2020, 11:37 AM
Easiest for a superstar to win a ring? Today. Easiest for a superstar to shine? 80's.

rawimpact
02-21-2020, 11:46 AM
Pretty much when zone defenses were illegal- before I believe the 01 season. That's why double teams were not common... to answer OPs quesion, the 90s.

Bankaii
02-21-2020, 12:43 PM
Easiest for a superstar to win a ring? Today. Easiest for a superstar to shine? 80's.
What? Giannis has by far been the BITW thus far and isn’t even the favorite for a title.

The 2000s, specifically 2006, was the easiest

3ball
02-21-2020, 10:19 PM
How would the following facts boost the positive worshipping of MJ on social media:

- MJ scored 40+ points in 1 of 4.6 playoff games vs 1 in 9 for Lebron

- From 2004-2019 and down the stretch of tight games (last 5 minutes within 5 points), Lebron shot 42% on 3.0 attempts per game, compared 48% on 3.6 attempts for old MJ in 97' and 98'.. So MJ shot much better in the clutch with far more attempts (20% bigger clutch load/attempts).

^^^ MJ's greater "big shot" frequency and takeover games would allow exponentially greater frequency of social media buzz (more great shots/games to post about), which would elevate MJ to heights that no one has ever reached

AirBonner
02-21-2020, 10:23 PM
90’s. The league was trying everything to prop up the talent deficit (shortened 3pt line)

3ball
02-21-2020, 10:27 PM
90’s. The league was trying everything to prop up the talent deficit (shortened 3pt line)
Moving the 3-point line in would narrow harden's driving lanes, so his scoring and the league's would decrease, just like the 90's when they shortened the line

The shorter line infact reduces spacing and makes threes easier to contest this making a harder game.

But carry on

AirBonner
02-21-2020, 10:33 PM
Moving the 3-point line in would narrow harden's driving lanes, so his scoring and the league's would decrease, just like the 90's when they shortened the line

The shorter line infact reduces spacing and makes threes easier to contest this making a harder game.

But carry on

So you are saying MJ’s best years shooting the 3 were also the easiest years to defend it?

3ball
02-21-2020, 10:43 PM
So you are saying MJ’s best years shooting the 3 were also the easiest years to defend it?
MJ always shot well on long twos, which are known to be contested, so it's all logical and makes sense.. the shortened line was a long 2, and better contested, but players back then were good at those shots (real basketball)