PDA

View Full Version : As the Raptors wait for Marc Gasol to eventually return

insidehoops
02-22-2020, 03:54 PM
I'm not sure why the Raptors should go back to using Marc Gasol as starting center.

Might as well keep Serge Ibaka there, and bring Gasol off the bench.

red1
02-22-2020, 04:35 PM
yeah Ibaka and siakam is a great frontcort in the modern nba. gasol locked down vucevic and embiid last year in the first two rounds, philly would've won without him so we'll need him if we want to make a run to the conference finals

BigKAT
02-22-2020, 08:23 PM
Because Ibaka's game is predicated on energy.

He's playing his ass off, which is pretty amazing.

Gasol's game is based off his ludicrous Basketball IQ and ability to do the small things that don't go on the box score.
A guy like Gasol needs the rhythm of starting to read the game. (See what happened with Joe Ingles and Utah)

You could actually play Gasol and Ibaka the same minutes, but I think Ibaka is better off coming from the bench like a man shot out of a cannon, while Gasol should start quarters 1 and 3. Then you just go with whatever fits the matchup to close the game.

Gasol is a big reason for Siakam's success in my opinion. He's extremely low maintenance, amazing screener and passer.

DoctorP
02-22-2020, 08:48 PM
Id love Ibaka on the Heat. He really is a great modern center and his defense is exceptional. Gasol as a closer off the bench is another massive weapon.

InnerZen
02-22-2020, 11:14 PM
Gasol's consistent defensive presence with a big bear body is needed to stop certain types of players.

Ibaka is great but as the center he's too small. His play has been very good though plus he has developed the intangibles that a good leader should have. It's great to have him.

red1
02-23-2020, 08:19 AM
marc is one of the most underrated players in the league. he's been excellent for us. the big spaniard.

InnerZen
02-23-2020, 08:42 AM
marc is one of the most underrated players in the league. he's been excellent for us. the big spaniard.

It's funny because so much of the hate on Marc is by Toronto's own casual fanbase. The knowledgeable fans know but the casual fans hate on him because they have no idea what it is that he brings to the table and how impactful it truly is in a basketball game.