PDA

View Full Version : Is it weird to watch players younger than you?

Walk on Water
02-23-2020, 06:13 AM
I remember when I was a kid and NBA players were bigger than life. They were all older than you. Then when you become an adult you start to notice lots of players are younger than you. It becomes weird to look up to them. How can you look up yo someone that just looks at his phone at halftime and turns to twitter to argue with fans?

Do you ever struggle with this? It’s hard to watch the youngsters, especially when the game has changed and nobody plays defense. Most don’t even care about winning. I’m not sure young players care much about money either. They care more about likes.

meat
02-23-2020, 07:49 AM
It's more depressing than weird. Vince Carter is the only player older than me!

Nikola_
02-23-2020, 07:53 AM
Yes it is strange to me. I cant really root for kids

WolfGang
02-23-2020, 08:42 AM
Lol. I never thought I'd hear that out loud. I've had that same feeling.

Now I look at all the younger players for their potential. I debate with my brother about which kid will grow into something special or be a bust.

InnerZen
02-23-2020, 08:46 AM
Very true, good thought OP. It is pretty weird and I don't nearly watch as much basketball or as many basketball related vids as I used to. Not only just beause I mostly don't have the time but even when I do have the free time I just don't find myself wanting to willingly watch it so obsessively like I used to. Never thought I'd outgrow basketball, naive.

baudkarma
02-23-2020, 10:05 AM
Nah. It's a transition period, but a brief one. Soon enough you accept that the game has changed, and you return to watching the kids and rooting for your favs. The whole "game has changed", "nobody plays defense" "kids today are more concerned about whatever than winning" has been going on pretty much since the NBA, hell since pro sports started.

At my age, I'm beginning to wonder if young stars today will be playing when I'm dead and in the grave. I'm 59 years old. What happens first, Luka Doncic retires, or I die of old age?

meat
02-23-2020, 10:19 AM
I hope you make to 100 buddy. Luka will be retired by then.

HylianNightmare
02-23-2020, 10:48 AM
It's very strange. Not sure how to cope with it. Hard to go hoop anymore too because defense isnt allowed and driving is a lost art

tontoz
02-23-2020, 10:59 AM
They are all younger than me so no it doesn't bother me. Never did.

StrongLurk
02-23-2020, 11:01 AM
It does feel like some of the young players care more about their "appearance" as an NBA player than winning. Like they would rather be cool on social media than grinding in the gym and winning? Idk, maybe it's just because as fans we are exposed to so much more unimportant nonsense from athletes than we used to.

90sgoat
02-23-2020, 11:42 AM
You definitely shouldn't Stan players younger than you.

SamuraiSWISH
02-23-2020, 02:09 PM
To be fans of on an individual level? Yes.

Only players younger than myself that I actually have been a true player fan of has been: D-Rose, and Kyrie.

My age based peers like LeBron, CP3 are the extreme elder statesman of the league. So it really feels odd on a lot of levels.

Most of the guys I was definitive player fans of were all older than me. It is an existential thing to think about. Good thread topic btw.

AlternativeAcc.
02-23-2020, 02:17 PM
To be fans of on an individual level? Yes.

Only players younger than myself that I actually have been a true player fan of has been: D-Rose, and Kyrie.

My age based peers like LeBron, CP3 are the extreme elder statesman of the league. So it really feels odd on a lot of levels.

Most of the guys I was definitive player fans of were all older than me. It is an existential thing to think about. Good thread topic btw.

Are you fans of your imaginary AAU players, coach?

brutalBBQ
02-23-2020, 02:34 PM
Whats noticeable is how far removed from reality some of the max players are.
They've been in their bubble so long, earning ridiculous amounts of money you almost want to unsee that side of them.

DoctorP
02-23-2020, 02:46 PM
no, it's not weird. You actually don't look up at them as heros and instead look down at them as overpaid poosies.

Rolando
02-23-2020, 03:02 PM
I don't really think about it. For me, I just appreciate the beauty of the game. This whole idea of "looking up" to the player is not really what I do at this point. First and foremost, my team has to win. Secondly, the players on my team are my favorite players because they are helping to reach the goal: WIN. So, in my mind, the team is what I follow and it is older than me anyway.

DoctorP
02-23-2020, 03:05 PM
I don't really think about it. For me, I just appreciate the beauty of the game. This whole idea of "looking up" to the player is not really what I do at this point. First and foremost, my team has to win. Secondly, the players on my team are my favorite players because they are helping to reach the goal: WIN. So, in my mind, the team is what I follow and it is older than me anyway.

I feel you. I am more sympathetic to my team ...until they start underperforming.