PDA

View Full Version : Steph, John Havlicek, and others with inconveniently great resumes we disregard.

Kblaze8855
02-26-2020, 08:35 AM
Hondo with the 8 rings(including 2 after russell), peak of 29/9/8 and all D first team, 40 point finals closeout games and 11-12 all nba seasons when there was no third team to dilute it. Steph with 2 MVPs, 3 rings, 5-6 years of all NBA play with years to go.

Taken at face value both have to be somewhere in the top 20...likely top 15...maybe better. But for any number of reasons we dont go that way.

Hondos book is written but I wonder what its gonna take for Stephs ranking to reflect his actual career. Another ring without KD? A finals MVP even though that whole argument is almost exclusively made against him by trolls on the internet who disregard that he was the teams best player in 2015?

Hes got years to go on a team that should be great for some time(Especially after they do whatever they are clearly planning with Wiggins, their own top 3 pick, and Minnesotas 2021). But if 3 rings and 2 MVPS doesnt get him a spot....does 4?

What would have to happen before you put Steph in the conversation with the Duncans, Birds, Wilts, Lebrons, Hakeems, and Kobes?

I dont imagine its winning when hes already won as much as or more than 4 of them. Its probably not skills when hes on the short list of most individually skilled guards ever.

Im sure you have your reasons.....im just curious what they are. You....and I mean you personally and the sports world at large....seem to deny him his spot...and then use some of the same things he has going for him to prop up other people. I mean...youre not about to come in here and talk about stacked lineups when Magic had teams with 3 hall of famers and an all star starting with a prime DPOY and 30 year old former MVP off the bench....while Russell had maybe 8 hall of famers at one time(only 5-6 of them deserving but still). Youre not gonna talk to me about winning when Hakeem and Wilt won less. Youre not gonna talk about skills as if your jaw doesnt hit the floor 4 times a game when he plays. Youre not gonna talk about era and what he couldnt do in another time as if everyones numbers wouldnt change in an era that didnt cater to their skillset. I somehow doubt someone gives Wilt 85 post touches to work with in 2020. Hed be great....but playing a totally different style. Thats what happens when you are talking 40-50 years of changes. Applies to most people. So its defense right? Is defense what youre gonna come talk to me about? You realize you would almost never see Magic guarding an opposing star right? And the only 2-3 times you might remember seeing a clip of....he got lit up(though he was a better defender than you think when faced with similar sized people).

Does Steph just not feel right as an all time elite?

I will accept that if its your answer for the record.

I just wanna hear you say it. I want to hear your reason to ignore that Steph has the legacy already of guys we grew up calling top 10ish.

I may not even disagree. I just want to hear how you justify it to yourself.

SouBeachTalents
02-26-2020, 09:13 AM
Hondo I agree gets really underrated all time. He was probably the best player on those Celtics teams his last 2 with Russell and his title in '74, and as you said, still managed 11 All-NBA selections even without the luxury of a 3rd team available. In regards to this though

What would have to happen before you put Steph in the conversation with the Duncans, Birds, Wilts, Lebrons, Hakeems, and Kobes?
It's pretty simple really. You compare Curry's resume at 32 to all the guys you mentioned, it's all time great, but it just doesn't quite stack up those top 10-12 players of all time. Curry trails by a pretty clear margin in career totals, All-NBA selections, and FMVP's (Wilt would've won in '67) than where those guys were at the same age.

Honestly, Durant signing there really stunted Curry's ability to move up the all time list. Those titles don't hold close to the significance they would have had they run it back with the 2016 squad. Neither player saw the kind of boost that superstars typically receive after winning titles. He's there statistically, but nobody is going to look back at Curry's titles, especially the last two, with the same reverence that they will Dirk's, '06 Wade, & Kawhi last year. Curry had two great opportunities to bolster his legacy in 2016 and last year, but failed to capitalize each time

Whoah10115
02-26-2020, 10:24 AM
Loved Steph from the beginning. Think he had a shout for FMVP in 15, think he was the FMVP in 18. And he was the best player in the playoffs for the Warriors every run besides Durant's first..and even that is closer than people think.

Don't know where I rank him, but looking at your list that includes Shaq and Duncan. KG deserves to approach that list, and I think Malone then Dirk follow in approaching, and I take Barkley ahead of all of them.

Does Steph come ahead of Isiah?

ImKobe
02-26-2020, 10:31 AM
2015 Steph's title run is as good as anyone's, he averaged something crazy like ~11 ppg on above 70%TS in 4th quarters of those Finals and had solid averages throughout, they don't win that title without him playing his ass off in the last 3 games of that series. He only really had one bad game. Some of his WCF numbers from 15-19 are among the best in league history and they get overlooked a lot.

31/5/6/2 on 51/49/81 shooting (11.0 3PA) in 2015
28/6/6/2 on 44/42/89 shooting (11.0 3PA) in 2016
32/6/5/3 on 56/47/90 shooting (11.3 3PA) in 2017
25/7/6/2/1 on 47/36/86 shooting (10.7 3PA) in 2018
37/8/7/1 on 47/43/94 shooting (15.3 3PA) in 2019

warriorfan
02-26-2020, 11:09 AM
2015 Steph's title run is as good as anyone's, he averaged something crazy like ~11 ppg on above 70%TS in 4th quarters of those Finals and had solid averages throughout, they don't win that title without him playing his ass off in the last 3 games of that series. He only really had one bad game. Some of his WCF numbers from 15-19 are among the best in league history and they get overlooked a lot.

31/5/6/2 on 51/49/81 shooting (11.0 3PA) in 2015
28/6/6/2 on 44/42/89 shooting (11.0 3PA) in 2016
32/6/5/3 on 56/47/90 shooting (11.3 3PA) in 2017
25/7/6/2/1 on 47/36/86 shooting (10.7 3PA) in 2018
37/8/7/1 on 47/43/94 shooting (15.3 3PA) in 2019

You can spot a low iq quickly if they start saying Steph isn’t a great playoff and Finals performer. :lol

Stephonit
02-26-2020, 01:04 PM
The problem with Hondo is that Bill Russell shares a lot of the credit and the 1970s are a largely overlooked decade.

Steph's problem is media biased gobbledygook. It's going to be very hard to ignore the fact he holds so many records. Those will have to be surpassed before his star starts to diminish.

Kblaze8855
02-26-2020, 01:19 PM
I’m surprised that Harden didn’t catch stephs 400 threes when he took like 1100.

iamgine
02-26-2020, 02:45 PM
Steph still need to prove himself in the biggest stage. He's amazing to watch but in context, his playoff resume is sorely lacking.

2015, they were facing injured teams.
2016, he choked badly.
2017, no team could challenge them due to Durant addition.
2018, no team could challenge them due to Durant addition.
2019, his team is injured and he didn't really do anything amazing
2020, his whole team is still injured and will miss playoff

Stephonit
02-26-2020, 02:57 PM
Steph still need to prove himself in the biggest stage. He's amazing to watch but in context, his playoff resume is sorely lacking.

2015, they were facing injured teams.
2016, he choked badly.
2017, no team could challenge them due to Durant addition.
2018, no team could challenge them due to Durant addition.
2019, his team is injured and he didn't really do anything amazing
2020, his whole team is still injured and will miss playoff

Needs to prove himself on the biggest stage? Make a list of players who have made 5 straight finals and have a winning finals record. Steph has one of the best records in history. If Steph's playoffs record is sorely lacking the number who can claim to have an adequate record probably don't exceed the number of your fingers.

guy
02-26-2020, 02:57 PM
Steph got completely screwed out of FMVP in 2015 which then created a completely unwarranted narrative for the next 5 years. He definitely did not deserve an FMVP for the 4 years after that but that didn’t mean he didn’t in 2015 and should still be on this chase to win his first 5 years later.

With that said, Steph is probably considered the third best player of his era behind Lebron and Durant. That’s pretty high up there. He’s not considered in the consensus top 10-11 guys most people agree on, but he’s pretty much in that next tier of 10-15 players.

Stephonit
02-26-2020, 02:58 PM
Steph got completely screwed out of FMVP in 2015 which then created a completely unwarranted narrative for the next 5 years. He definitely did not deserve an FMVP for the 4 years after that but that didn’t mean he didn’t in 2015 and should still be on this chase to win his first 5 years later.

One could argue he deserved 3 of them.

guy
02-26-2020, 03:01 PM
One could argue he deserved 3 of them.

Not really. I think KD clearly deserves the other 2.

Stephonit
02-26-2020, 03:03 PM
Not really. I think KD clearly deserves the other 2.

I don't.

guy
02-26-2020, 03:04 PM
I don't.

From watching the games he was clearly the most dominant and that’s backed up statistically where he beat Steph almost across the board. What’s the argument?

Stephonit
02-26-2020, 03:07 PM
2017 Steph had higher +/- throughout the playoffs.
2018 Steph decided the critical games during crunch time.

Steph has tremendous indirect effects on a game. Conventional stat do not capture his full effects on games.

guy
02-26-2020, 03:29 PM
2017 Steph had higher +/- throughout the playoffs.
2018 Steph decided the critical games during crunch time.

Steph has tremendous indirect effects on a game. Conventional stat do not capture his full effects on games.

KD had the higher +/- in the 2017 finals. Not the playoffs overall, but that’s not what the FMVP is about.

What was the critical game in 2018? Steph was absolutely terrible in game 3 and and that game was close in the 4th quarter and KD had his best game and closed it out and gave them an insurmountable 3-0 lead.

Stephonit
02-26-2020, 03:40 PM
KD had the higher +/- in the 2017 finals. Not the playoffs overall, but that’s not what the FMVP is about.

What was the critical game in 2018? Steph was absolutely terrible in game 3 and and that game was close in the 4th quarter and KD had his best game and closed it out and gave them an insurmountable 3-0 lead.

Game 1 and Game 2 was pretty much closed out by Steph on his own so much so that the Cavaliers threw in the towel 4 minutes before its end.

One could also argue the real finals was in the WCF.

KD was always consistent but rarely decisive. His statistics are less impressive when one considers the Warriors' overall record when KD goes off. He had something like 3 40+ games each of which the Warriors lost. Simply put KD having a high score doesn't translate necessarily to a winning game.

iamgine
02-26-2020, 03:42 PM
Needs to prove himself on the biggest stage? Make a list of players who have made 5 straight finals and have a winning finals record. Steph has one of the best records in history. If Steph's playoffs record is sorely lacking the number who can claim to have an adequate record probably don't exceed the number of your fingers.
In context it is sorely lacking. Just like Durant's titles are pretty meaningless for his legacy in context.

Stephonit
02-26-2020, 03:44 PM
In context it is sorely lacking. Just like Durant's titles are pretty meaningless for his legacy in context.

In context? Provide the context. Who are those with more impressive finals credentials. Name them all.

iamgine
02-26-2020, 03:44 PM
In context? Provide the context. Who are those with more impressive finals credentials. Name them all.
I provided the context

Stephonit
02-26-2020, 03:45 PM
I provided the context

Names.

iamgine
02-26-2020, 03:47 PM
Names.

read the context and then you can name them yourself.

Stephonit
02-26-2020, 03:50 PM
read the context and then you can name them yourself.

I did and I cannot come up with many that can avoid being classified as "sorely lacking" given your "context". So who isn't sorely lacking?

iamgine
02-26-2020, 03:50 PM
I did and I cannot come up with many that can avoid being classified as "sorely lacking" given your "context". So who isn't sorely lacking?

I expected as much with the name stephonit

Stephonit
02-26-2020, 03:51 PM
I expected as much with the name stephonit

I expected as much with the inability to simply address the question and name those player who aren't "sorely lacking".

guy
02-26-2020, 04:00 PM
Game 1 and Game 2 was pretty much closed out by Steph on his own so much so that the Cavaliers threw in the towel 4 minutes before its end.

One could also argue the real finals was in the WCF.

KD was always consistent but rarely decisive. His statistics are less impressive when one considers the Warriors' overall record when KD goes off. He had something like 3 40+ games each of which the Warriors lost. Simply put KD having a high score doesn't translate necessarily to a winning game.

The WCF and the regular season is completely irrelevant to this discussion. And no one is denying Steph’s impact on the team, especially during the regular season.

I’d actually agree that Steph was the favorite after the first 2 games. But like I said, he was that bad and KD was that great in game 3 that it basically erased his lead. And game 3 was the key game. For the first 2 games they basically defended HC and did what they were supposed to do. It didn’t end the series though. Game 3 was where that pretty much happened.

Ainosterhaspie
02-26-2020, 04:02 PM
My top ten: Bird, Duncan, Hakeem, James, Jordan, Kareem, Magic, Russell, Shaq, Wilt. All of them are significantly better defenders and had more years as elite players. Curry was hampered by injuries early and again this year. While the five year stretch he recently had is worthy of being matched against several of these guys' best five years, they all did more, longer than Curry has so far managed. I see him as firmly outside the top ten.

Top 20, and even top 15 is reasonable.

Stephonit
02-26-2020, 04:15 PM
My top ten: Bird, Duncan, Hakeem, James, Jordan, Kareem, Magic, Russell, Shaq, Wilt. All of them are significantly better defenders and had more years as elite players. Curry was hampered by injuries early and again this year. While the five year stretch he recently had is worthy of being matched against several of these guys' best five years, they all did more, longer than Curry has so far managed. I see him as firmly outside the top ten.

Top 20, and even top 15 is reasonable.

Wilt has only two titles to his name and only one with Jerry West despite playing together for multiple years.
Magic played with Kareem and never won without him. Western Conference was weak during their time. They also got swept.
Hakeem never faced the player commonly thought of as the best player of his generation in a series.

Steph's arguments for top 10 are stronger than recognized by the above.

deathawaitu
02-26-2020, 06:31 PM
I rank Steph around the same as Lebron. Just outside of the Top 10.

However, if Steph can manage to win 1-2 rings, then I will have him in my top 10 (same for Lebron)

Huge fan of Steph but just not quite there in the top 10 yet for me

Mr.GOAT2408
02-26-2020, 08:01 PM
I'm always going to be wary in regards to undersized players, especially from the 04-05 season onwards.

His resume is strong in some areas (2 MVPs, one unanimous, and 3 rings) and weak in others (not a lot of All-NBA selections or any all-Def selections, no Finals MVPs) and they're both equally valuable for me so his resume isn't quite there with the players you listed who are all top 5-10 caliber not only as far as resumes go but in terms of overall ability

Size matters, that hurts him in regards to peak play. He wears down quicker than other great players and doesn't play well under any semblance of 80s-early 00s level physicality (which can still appear in spurts). I'm always taking dominant two-way wings, two-way bigs, and oversized point guards (how I classify Magic, Bird, LeBron) over a player with his size/ability. His biggest strength is something that's gradually become a bigger part of the game (which is to say he's not jacking up that many in earlier eras), something that would have been nerfed before 05 and irrelevant before the 3 point line was added. Dominating your era matters but he hasn't even completely stood out over the likes of LeBron, KD, or Kawhi in terms of peak play. All 3 could be classified as dominant wings, have shown that can be two way players (some more consistent than others) and would be nice in any era. I still think a lot of Curry's impact is derived from the perfect storm of having guys that compliment his skillset really well (Klay is perfect as a 2 alongside someone like Curry, and Green/Iggy are great too) in his absolute prime. I don't care how nice his 2016 was, we know how it ended and no one in their right mind is building a team around peak Curry over those 3 if given the option.

That's my take on Steph, top 20-25 player all-time but don't know if I would ever go any further. With him being 33 in the next postseason it's hard to see an undersized guard add much to his legacy

BigShotBob
02-26-2020, 09:56 PM
They lacked absolute dominance. Can't impose their wills on a game like other greats.

La Frescobaldi
02-26-2020, 11:17 PM
Out of the whole galaxy of players ever, I get to pick a G and I get to pick a sF. I’m not interested in centers or pFs. Not talking about the Shaqs or the Duncans or the KGs or Jabbars that slam inside all night every night.

Curry’s a guard.
Am I taking him over
Jordan? No
Magic? No
Logo? No
Oscar? No
Kobe? You might maybe put him right here.... or not.
Stockton.... or here

Havlicek’s a small forward.
Am I taking him over
L Bird? No
L James? No
Pippen? You might maybe put him right here... or not.
Rick Barry? Yeah, I’m taking Havlicek... mostly
Julius Irving yeah I’m taking Havlicek 10 times out of 10

Seems like maybe they’re both arguing for fourth or fifth spot at their position but I prolly forgot some guys but the point is.... why yes they do.

houston
02-27-2020, 01:49 AM
Hondo benefited from Dr. J and Rick Barry playing in the ABA in their prime instead of NBA. Curry legacy is funny cause accolade wise if somebody say Westbrook or Chris Paul is the better player people would agree. But from 2013-19 he has a case he the second greatest PG ever lol.

Pushxx
02-27-2020, 02:55 AM
Hondo proved himself in every role. If I start a team I'm winning if I have Hondo. One of the most underrated sports figures of all time. My dad used to serve him at his restaurant on Cape Cod and whenever he came in he always drank milk lol

Stephonit
02-27-2020, 02:57 AM
Hondo benefited from Dr. J and Rick Barry playing in the ABA in their prime instead of NBA. Curry legacy is funny cause accolade wise if somebody say Westbrook or Chris Paul is the better player people would agree. But from 2013-19 he has a case he the second greatest PG ever lol.

Curry has a case for being the greatest PG ever.

Whoah10115
02-27-2020, 04:51 AM
Out of the whole galaxy of players ever, I get to pick a G and I get to pick a sF. I’m not interested in centers or pFs. Not talking about the Shaqs or the Duncans or the KGs or Jabbars that slam inside all night every night.

Curry’s a guard.
Am I taking him over
Jordan? No
Magic? No
Logo? No
Oscar? No
Kobe? You might maybe put him right here.... or not.
Stockton.... or here

Havlicek’s a small forward.
Am I taking him over
L Bird? No
L James? No
Pippen? You might maybe put him right here... or not.
Rick Barry? Yeah, I’m taking Havlicek... mostly
Julius Irving yeah I’m taking Havlicek 10 times out of 10

Seems like maybe they’re both arguing for fourth or fifth spot at their position but I prolly forgot some guys but the point is.... why yes they do.

Oh!

houston
03-01-2020, 01:11 AM
Curry has a case for being the greatest PG ever.

yea thats 6'4 and under

tpols
03-01-2020, 02:24 AM
Don't put havlichek in the same breath as chef.

Bill Russell was the celtics dynasty spark. Even Sam Jones scored more than john in title runs. Third option guy at times.

You're comparing that to a bona fide first option engine and unanimous league MVP on one of the greatest teams and dynasties ever.

Don't do that....:no:

Kblaze8855
03-01-2020, 07:11 AM
Hondo led 3 title teams in scoring and was finals mvp in another year. He’s 12th in nba history in shot attempts. He still has the playoff record for most made shots in a game. He made more shots giving the Knicks 54 than Jordan did giving the Celtics 63. He made an insane number of big shots modern fans just don’t know about them. Bill Russell was the man but Hondo was a go to guy his whole career. And I do mean his whole career.

He was actually the subject of the first nba tape on clutchness. You would assume it would be Jerry West but it wasn’t. He had the reputation as the most clutch player in the nba in the 70s. He hit playoff game winners, had multiple huge finals games, and was generally a big moment guy. He was a “Just get me the ball” kinda late game scorer with no fear. His closest modern comparison career wise is probably Kobe. 8 titles, never gets full credit because most we’re with a dominant big, then won 2 more after that big was gone, 9-10 time all D, fearless late game player, most respected player in the nba by the other players, and the record Kobe broke for most missed shots....was Hondos. Not saying it’s good....just saying he got his shots. He wasn’t some bystander.

Career wise he doesn’t compare to anyone you would call some role player. He was a closer even when he was a 6th man. He morphed from a Manu type role to a volume scorer taking all the big shots. You don’t score 26K without some aggression. “Engine” is a more suitable word for him than Steph. One year they won the title he didn’t come out of the game the last 9 games of the playoffs. Guarded the stars, scored, and was never tired down the stretch. Harvard chose him as a test subject on human stamina because he’d play whole games and still be going hard. His ability to give his all and still be clutch while others were tired was famous. Whatever you think of him....don’t think he wasn’t a “Shit just got real” kinda late game first option.

He was that even before he was a full game first option. Then he was both for like 10 years.

AirFederer
03-01-2020, 08:08 AM
People think you need to be an old school ISO player to dominate Playoffs or to «be the man».
Steph doesn’t need the ball that way and his off ball impact is off the chart.

One day ppl will realise that he is top 10 all time.

He lists higher than KD easy

Stephonit
03-01-2020, 08:32 AM
yea thats 6'4 and under

No. Bar none.

Phoenix
03-01-2020, 08:49 AM
Steph is an odd one to rank for some reason. His ability is clearly transcendent. He lost perception points, fairly or unfairly, when Durant came onboard. Now personally in a vacuum I think Durant is a better player, but I feel like Steph achieved more without KD than the reverse and should be ranked slightly higher.

When you start arguing if he's top 20 or 10 or wherever, you ask the question of who are you removing to make way for him. I don't look at anyone in my top 12 and think I'd take Steph over any of them. Top 15-20? You're looking at guys like Dr J, Barkley, Mailman, KG, maybe guys like Dirk and Wade. Who's coming off that list? Barkley and Malone because 'they never won' is low hanging fruit if you go that route. Not winning a title was never about them not being generally good enough when the GOAT directly blocked them multiple times. Lots of players who have titles are worse players than both.

Steph deserves a top 20 ranking because he was the engine of a team that has pioneered the modern NBA in terms shooting and spacing. I just honestly dont know who you take off to make a spot for him.

tanibanana
03-01-2020, 10:32 AM
With the long history of NBA (ABA included), being ranked somewhere, say 10th to 20th, compared to ranked 5th-9th, is no longer a big gap.. and the gaps go slimmer as years passed by.

Example: during the mid 1990s, Moses Malone was considered a top-10 in goat ranking.

warriorfan
03-01-2020, 11:34 AM
People think you need to be an old school ISO player to dominate Playoffs or to «be the man».
Steph doesn’t need the ball that way and his off ball impact is off the chart.

One day ppl will realise that he is top 10 all time.

He lists higher than KD easy

This. The people who say Curry wasn’t dominant in the a Finals are box score watchers. When the Cavaliers year after year double team Curry as he crosses the half court logo...willing to give up 4 on 3 sets in the process...You don’t do that unless a player is dominant. Curry’s counting stats have decreased in the Finals due to this extraordinary amount of defensive attention he attracts. The Cavaliers gameplan was go all in to slow Steph Curry down, if the other guys beat us so be it, but no way in hell are we going to let Steph go off. When you see replays of Harrison Barnes and Kevin Durant going for literal wide open untouched dunks and lay ups in the half court...just remember what caused that.

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/55785bd86da811a06574389c/draymond%20miss%201.gif

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4bYYPLGiZavZr6odQMT2_61HGAc=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3783750/warriorsball.0.gif

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/557856666bb3f7950ef731a9/stephen%20curry%203.gif

tpols
03-01-2020, 12:03 PM
Hondo led 3 title teams in scoring and was finals mvp in another year. He’s 12th in nba history in shot attempts. He still has the playoff record for most made shots in a game. He made more shots giving the Knicks 54 than Jordan did giving the Celtics 63. He made an insane number of big shots modern fans just don’t know about them. Bill Russell was the man but Hondo was a go to guy his whole career. And I do mean his whole career.

He was actually the subject of the first nba tape on clutchness. You would assume it would be Jerry West but it wasn’t. He had the reputation as the most clutch player in the nba in the 70s. He hit playoff game winners, had multiple huge finals games, and was generally a big moment guy. He was a “Just get me the ball” kinda late game scorer with no fear. His closest modern comparison career wise is probably Kobe. 8 titles, never gets full credit because most we’re with a dominant big, then won 2 more after that big was gone, 9-10 time all D, fearless late game player, most respected player in the nba by the other players, and the record Kobe broke for most missed shots....was Hondos. Not saying it’s good....just saying he got his shots. He wasn’t some bystander.

Career wise he doesn’t compare to anyone you would call some role player. He was a closer even when he was a 6th man. He morphed from a Manu type role to a volume scorer taking all the big shots. You don’t score 26K without some aggression. “Engine” is a more suitable word for him than Steph. One year they won the title he didn’t come out of the game the last 9 games of the playoffs. Guarded the stars, scored, and was never tired down the stretch. Harvard chose him as a test subject on human stamina because he’d play whole games and still be going hard. His ability to give his all and still be clutch while others were tired was famous. Whatever you think of him....don’t think he wasn’t a “Shit just got real” kinda late game first option.

He was that even before he was a full game first option. Then he was both for like 10 years.

looking up his accolades you do look to be right. year after year of all NBA and all Defense, top 5 MVP bunch of times. He must be underrated.

I still dont believe he reached steph's peak. Only UMVP in league history sparking the winningest team ever.

then again... nobody has curry's peak really.

Phoenix
03-01-2020, 12:14 PM
looking up his accolades you do look to be right. year after year of all NBA and all Defense, top 5 MVP bunch of times. He must be underrated.

I still dont believe he reached steph's peak. Only UMVP in league history sparking the winningest team ever.

then again... nobody has curry's peak really.

Jordan, Shaq and Lebron have had cases to be UMVP but there was always a contrary vote or two. Steph deserved it, but he's not the first one to do so IMO.

StrongLurk
03-01-2020, 01:13 PM
The problem is the NBA has been around for a long time, there are too many great players, but people REALLY have only been watching hardcore since the 80s/90s...and media coverage worldwide didn't happen really until 20 years ago...

So yeah, a lot of players will be overlooked, especially players who played 20-30 years before the NBA became a worldwide sport.

The only appropriate way to "rank" players is to separate guards and big men, and to go by decades/eras.

You can't rank guys like Wilt and Russell in a modern top 10 because the sport was too different when they played.

Replay32
03-01-2020, 01:18 PM
Steph not winning finals MVP in 2015 is a travesty. He was robbed for real. Overall he played great.

SouBeachTalents
03-01-2020, 01:28 PM
Steph not winning finals MVP in 2015 is a travesty. He was robbed for real. Overall he played great.
Curry being "robbed" of FMVP is revisionist history. Go back and read the threads on here during the Finals, hardly anyone was praising Curry as having some great performance. I'm not even saying he shouldn't have won, but robbed? Nah, that's a myth that's been perpetuated over time

It's not like it was only the award voters, this was taken during the Finals too

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHrSQ7FUEAAYyEJ.jpg

warriorfan
03-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Curry being "robbed" of FMVP is revisionist history. Go back and read the threads on here during the Finals, hardly anyone was praising Curry as having some great performance. I'm not even saying he shouldn't have won, but robbed? Nah, that's a myth that's been perpetuated over time

It's not like it was only the award voters, this was taken during the Finals too

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHrSQ7FUEAAYyEJ.jpg

ISH trolls and SportsCstr, great sources :oldlol:

This is about as bad as Kenneth and his ranker.com posting :oldlol:

SouBeachTalents
03-01-2020, 01:55 PM
ISH trolls and SportsCstr, great sources :oldlol:

This is about as bad as Kenneth and his ranker.com posting :oldlol:
What other proof do you want, do you think it's all a conspiracy that so many people who watched the series came to the same conclusion that Curry wasn't some runaway choice for FMVP? That the same people who awarded him MVP a month prior, then would make him the first unanimous MVP in league history, suddenly became clueless about his game and everything he does on the court? What's your explanation for that

Ainosterhaspie
03-01-2020, 01:57 PM
http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/557856666bb3f7950ef731a9/stephen%20curry%203.gif
:oldlol:

Dang, Bogut's moving screen game was on point. Is he grabbing Shumpert's leg? And check out how he screens off both Shumpert and Dellavdova at the same time.

Also, steph needing three screens to get off a shot kind of demonstrates the reason some of us have a hard time moving up too much in the top 20. His ability to get his own shot is too limited.

warriorfan
03-01-2020, 03:29 PM

Dang, Bogut's moving screen game was on point. Is he grabbing Shumpert's leg? And check out how he screens off both Shumpert and Dellavdova at the same time.

Also, steph needing three screens to get off a shot kind of demonstrates the reason some of us have a hard time moving up too much in the top 20. His ability to get his own shot is too limited.

That’s how they were calling the game. LeBron flat out slide tackled Steph to end a game with no call. They were letting anything go at that point.

This dude just said Steph doesn’t have the ability to create his own shot...

:roll: :roll:

Lowest iq ever. Please stop posting.

Ainosterhaspie
03-01-2020, 03:37 PM
That’s how they were calling the game. LeBron flat out slide tackled Steph to end a game with no call. They were letting anything go at that point.

:roll: :roll:

Lowest iq ever. Please stop posting.

Reading comprehension fail.

warriorfan
03-01-2020, 03:47 PM
Reading comprehension fail.

Keep whining about moving screens and Stephs ability to get shots off without screens when the defense was allowed to hand check and grab his jersey all series. A totally legit and non biased take.

:roll:

Ainosterhaspie
03-01-2020, 03:54 PM
That can't be true. Everyone tells me handchecking was banned in 2004. There's no handchecking anymore. Didn't you get that memo?

Kblaze8855
03-01-2020, 05:15 PM
Keep whining about moving screens and Stephs ability to get shots off without screens when the defense was allowed to hand check and grab his jersey all series. A totally legit and non biased take.

Do you think you make non biased takes on steph? Seriously. Do you think you’re making middle of the road unbiased observations?

And1AllDay
03-01-2020, 05:20 PM
Do you think you make non biased takes on steph? Seriously. Do you think you’re making middle of the road unbiased observations?

get

his

ass

tpols
03-01-2020, 05:27 PM

its basketball blasphemy. smh

Hes not jordan or kobe or dirk but the amount of times chef broke ankles and hit a long range high arc bomb... or feigned it and dropped a beautiful running tear drop after carving the D... too many times to count.

And the off ball stuff is what allowed all the rest of his teammates to flourish and ultimately create one of the best teamwork having teams ever...

some mfers are just dumb. you cant really fix that, and its not their fault.

warriorfan
03-01-2020, 06:25 PM

Sure. What have I said in this thread that has been off base?

warriorfan
03-01-2020, 06:26 PM
its basketball blasphemy. smh

Hes not jordan or kobe or dirk but the amount of times chef broke ankles and hit a long range high arc bomb... or feigned it and dropped a beautiful running tear drop after carving the D... too many times to count.

And the off ball stuff is what allowed all the rest of his teammates to flourish and ultimately create one of the best teamwork having teams ever...

some mfers are just dumb. you cant really fix that, and its not their fault.

It’s either trolling, not watching games, or flat out hating.

Or maybe you are right, it’s just super low iq.

Ainosterhaspie
03-01-2020, 07:02 PM
The number one reason Durant mattered for the Warriors (other than eliminating a potential rival team by taking him from them) is that he is a dude that is elite at getting a good shot and being able to score when the offense breaks down. You don't need to run a play for him, just give him the ball and he'll get you bucket.

Curry is no slouch there, but he isn't at that level. That's a very high standard so it's no shame not to be there, but Curry isn't that guy. Durant could never be an offensive engine that leads the massive point swings and sudden blowouts that Curry generates, but his presence on the team really helped the Warriors fill a hole in Curry's game (a hole that is only a hole compared to the absolute best at that particular skill).

Curry lacks the size and sheer athleticism to get off a shot no matter what. He's phenomenally skilled with ball handling which helps him make up for that to some degree, but not completely. So you see him struggle to reliably get off shots without screens in tight playoff contests against locked in quality defenders.

His other skills mask that weakness much of the time and render it irrelevant as he can scramble defenses with his off ball movement and the need to stick with him tightly since he can get an accurate shot off in a fraction of a second. It doesn't matter that often. But it does matter sometimes, and if you dont see that you're blind or not being honest with yourself.

Horatio33
03-01-2020, 07:05 PM
I'm no Warriors fan but if you can't appreciate Curry's game you really don't get basketball.

Ainosterhaspie
03-01-2020, 07:18 PM
Who's not appreciating his game? Saying he's got a limitation isn't the same thing as not appreciating his game.

warriorfan
03-01-2020, 07:20 PM
The number one reason Durant mattered for the Warriors (other than eliminating a potential rival team by taking him from them) is that he is a dude that is elite at getting a good shot and being able to score when the offense breaks down. You don't need to run a play for him, just give him the ball and he'll get you bucket.

Curry is no slouch there, but he isn't at that level. That's a very high standard so it's no shame not to be there, but Curry isn't that guy. Durant could never be an offensive engine that leads the massive point swings and sudden blowouts that Curry generates, but his presence on the team really helped the Warriors fill a hole in Curry's game (a hole that is only a hole compared to the absolute best at that particular skill).

Curry lacks the size and sheer athleticism to get off a shot no matter what. He's phenomenally skilled with ball handling which helps him make up for that to some degree, but not completely. So you see him struggle to reliably get off shots without screens in tight playoff contests against locked in quality defenders.

His other skills mask that weakness much of the time and render it irrelevant as he can scramble defenses with his off ball movement and the need to stick with him tightly since he can get an accurate shot off in a fraction of a second. It doesn't matter that often. But it does matter sometimes, and if you dont see that you're blind or not being honest with yourself.

So your knock on Steph Curry is that he’s not Kevin Durant...This is both a stupid and false narrative. Did you watch how Curry and the Warriors played last season when KD went out? They didn’t miss a beat.

BTW KD is 2 for 13 in final game tying or go ahead shots in the playoffs

Kblaze8855
03-01-2020, 07:31 PM
Sure. What have I said in this thread that has been off base?

That’s pretty amazing considering the last half decade.

Docs Orders
03-01-2020, 07:37 PM
That’s pretty amazing considering the last half decade.

Ainosterhaspie
03-01-2020, 07:45 PM
The Warriors offense often flows better without KD. And I don't think there's any chance KD takes them to 73 in Curry's place. He might not even get them to 60. He has his own limitations.

But there is a resilience to KD's scoring, that Curry doesn't have. When the offense is flowing, and with Curry on the floor it usually is, Curry makes things easier for his teammates and also is every bit as dangerous as KD, probably more so because he opens things up for others better. But when the offense bogs down KD can get a shot more effectively than Curry, and most top ten guys beat him at that as well.

All I'm saying is that Curry's individual scoring resilience isn't at the same level as most top 10 guys.

The only top 10 guys on my list Curry is better at there are probably Duncan and Russell who are massively superior defenders.