PDA

View Full Version : You have to hold a random 2020 NBA team under 70 points to live. Build your team.

Kblaze8855
02-26-2020, 09:31 AM
Im not just asking for your all time all D team. For one reason or another it may not get the job done. For example....

Nate Thurmond may be the best man to man defensive 5 ever. But how much man to man post D do you need for a 2020 lineup?

Bruce Bowen playing as he did at his peak simply cant play that D in 2020. Bill Russell had the greatest defensive impact ever but some of that was him being such an outlier in a league that didnt value what he did yet. He had the physical gifts to be a great defender in any time but dropped into 2020 theres an adjustment. You have time for all that with your life on the line?

So its not as simple as the defensive GOAT from every position. Obviously some of the names will be those guys...and if you feel a need to pick one im not gonna argue. Just giving some things to think about.

Give me your dream defensive roster and coach. You dont even have to win the game. You can lose 68-54. If they score under 70...you live. Who do you pick for your 10 man roster and who coaches the team?

Im gonna put way more thought into this than I should and answer later.

I will say this now....im not 100% sure peak Joakim Noah wouldnt be somewhere on the team if only for the way he blew up pick and rolls for a few years. Homer pick sure....but he was a terror.

To make it more specific....

https://spinthewheel.app/nba-teams

Click the "spin" and see who you have to face.

Give us the team you got and how you shut them down.

SouBeachTalents
02-26-2020, 09:55 AM
Payton/Kidd
Jordan/Allen
Pippen/Kawhi
KG/Dray
Hakeem/Ben

HC: Larry Brown

julizaver
02-26-2020, 10:03 AM
Im not just asking for your all time all D team. For one reason or another it may not get the job done. For example....

Nate Thurmond may be the best man to man defensive 5 ever. But how much man to man post D do you need for a 2020 lineup?

Bruce Bowen playing as he did at his peak simply cant play that D in 2020. Bill Russell had the greatest defensive impact ever but some of that was him being such an outlier in a league that didnt value what he did yet. He had the physical gifts to be a great defender in any time but dropped into 2020 theres an adjustment. You have time for all that with your life on the line?

So its not as simple as the defensive GOAT from every position. Obviously some of the names will be those guys...and if you feel a need to pick one im not gonna argue. Just giving some things to think about.

Give me your dream defensive roster and coach. You dont even have to win the game. You can lose 68-54. If they score under 70...you live. Who do you pick for your 10 man roster and who coaches the team?

I will say this now....im not 100% sure peak Joakim Noah wouldnt be somewhere on the team if only for the way he blew up pick and rolls for a few years. Homer pick sure....but he was a terror.

I am going with MJ, Kawhi, Pippen, Rodman and Bill Russell. All of them - Quick long hands, quick reflexes, good overal height, good lateral movement. I know that there is not typical PG in that group, but since the task is to defend the perimeter I am goind with those group. Payton was also on consideration,but I beleive that if up to the task MJ is better and stronger defender and in most cases could do the job and make the overal team better. But if it is to guard Steph Curry I would put Payton to choke him from the halfcourt.

lilteapot
02-26-2020, 11:49 AM
Payton
MJ
Kawhi
Rodman
Russell

All of them are fast, big and mobile enough to switch whenever they want, close out on shooters, crash the glass, stay with their man.

Ainosterhaspie
02-26-2020, 02:23 PM
Jordan/Payton/Allen
Leonard/Iguodala
Pippen/James
Attentokounpo/Rodman
KG/Duncan/Wallace

HC Popovich, Assistant Thibodeau

Payton and Allen don't play much. I want to keep bigger wings on the floor as much as possible. Basically switching everything because they can all deal with marking ball handlers. Length everywhere to clog passing lanes, get strips and challenge shots.

One challenge is this team would tend to do well playing at a high pace offensively which will tend to drive the score up so they will have to be methodical and run out the clock as much as possible. Won't overcommit to full court press, but will try to slow the other team bringing the ball up as much as possible. Want to avoid shots early in the clock both ways.

I'm a little worried about a dominant, bulky center, but should be able to manage that with double teams (think Jordan picking Malone's pocket at end of 98 finals), denying post entry passes, using fouls and some mind games by Rodman and Jordan.

Phoenix
02-26-2020, 02:28 PM
96 Payton
88 MJ
95 Pippen
08 Garnett
04 Hakeem

Coach: Tom Thibodeau

Whoah10115
02-26-2020, 02:53 PM
The way I feel like playing today:

KG at C. He kinda did a bit of this in Minnesota, in doing everything. He did a lot of this zone style in Boston, alongside Perkins. Here for versatility, athleticism, teamwork and ability to defend out and deep in paint.

At PF I have Oakley, who's the 2nd best defensive PF for me. Dirty work, intelligence, toughness, dirty work, rebounding and toughness. Yeah, two of them twice.

Pippen at SF because of course, plus it's an easy way to feel given 3ball's persistence here.

Michael at SG because he and Pippen belong together, are unbelievable, and as an answer to the 3ball rivals who don't get it. He and Pippen are the two best ever on the perimeter.

Kidd at PG, because, like all the others, he does it all. Versatile, smart, tough, teamwork. One of my favorite players and still a top 5 PG for now, I think.

This would be great ^^

Ainosterhaspie
02-26-2020, 03:17 PM
Dont like Thibodeau as head coach. He's a fantastic assistant, but I don't think he has game management chops to develop the best overall gameplan.

Phoenix
02-26-2020, 03:34 PM
Dont like Thibodeau as head coach. He's a fantastic assistant, but I don't think he has game management chops to develop the best overall gameplan.

I picked him mainly for his defensive acumen. The scoring talent on the floor anchored by MJ on the wing and Hakeem down low takes care of itself.

iamgine
02-26-2020, 03:35 PM
In order to hold the opponent to under 70 points, you need 2 things:

- Limit possessions
- Don't score so the opponent will relax and not try so hard to score either

To limit possessions, you need rebounding, defense and slow the pace.
To not score, you need terrible offense guys

I'd get guys like Rodman, Ben Wallace, Bowen, Marion, Mutombo, Roberson, Tony Allen etc with a couple of defensive ballhandler like Billups and Nate Mcmillan. For good measure, lets get Thibs as coach. This team can't score 70 but will defend like hell, get steals, rebounds, blocks, and will match up against anyone defensively.

Phoenix
02-26-2020, 03:38 PM
In order to hold the opponent to under 70 points, you need 2 things:

- Limit possessions

To limit possessions, you need rebounding, defense and slow the pace.
To not score, you need terrible offense guys

I'd get guys like Rodman, Ben Wallace, Bowen, Marion, Mutombo, Roberson, Tony Allen etc with a couple of defensive ballhandler like Billups and Nate Mcmillan. For good measure, lets get Thibs as coach. This team can't score 70 but will defend like hell, get steals, rebounds, blocks, and will match up against anyone defensively.

That team wouldn't score 50. But neither would the other team lol. Interesting choices.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-26-2020, 03:40 PM
Under todays rules I'd roll with;

Payton
Tony Allen
Pippen
KG
Hakeem

Coach: Larry Brown

I think you could swap TA with Jordan, but Allen played his entire prime without handchecking. And was still probably the best 1-on-1 defender I've seen. Under the old rules? He's even better.

Dbrog
02-26-2020, 03:47 PM
Been many years since I've posted here, but this topic seemed interesting to me. I also see people putting together lineups that wouldn't even be able to be created due to cap (see: Kawhi and MJ + other superstars). Therefor I'm going for something that actually would have a chance to exist.

PG: Walt Frazier
SG: Tony Allen
SF: Michael Cooper
PF: Sheed
C: Big Ben

My bigs are going to be the ones that kept Kobe and Shaq's Lakers at bay as well as taking the Championship spurs to 7 games (big shot bob ruined em). They are proven to work well together and also didn't completely break the bank, not to mention they play super tough and can guard guys on the perimeter. Frazier is gonna play the allstar on the team and likely take up the other huge chunk of cap room...but worth it IMO. I'm definitely confident in the dude who beasted against one of the most stacked Lakers squads ever assembled. He locks people down like Glove did but is much more capable of carrying an offense and great leadership. I have no doubt he could still kill it in today's game.

For the role players in that starting lineup, gimme Tony Allen who gave Kobe fits. You telling me he wouldn't destroy Klay or Booker? Definitely has the speed to keep up with em and didn't play quite so physical as Bowen did (you right KBlaze in that he wouldn't be allowed). Cooper to round things out. I mean, Larry Bird on record saying he's the best defender he ever faced and also is never gonna be paid anywhere near even the #2 guy on a team. We basically have people talking like Luka is the new bird now, which is wrong btw, but point stands that Coop would be able to keep up. Even someone like Bron, I get the feeling Coop would be pretty effective guarding because there's nearly no finesse to Bron's perimeter game so Coop could just direct him down low where one of the Wallace's would swat him (and yes they could....Ben was stuffing Shaq).

Ainosterhaspie
02-26-2020, 03:50 PM
@Phoenix

What I'm saying is get a game manager like Jackson or Popovich. They'll be better equipped to make an offensive game plan that bolsters the efforts to keep the other team's scoring low. Clock management, rebounding schemes and things like that.

Use Thibs as an assistant who focuses entirely on creating the defensive scheme.

I'd want Thibs coaching too, I just dont trust his game management enough to give him head coach role.

qrich
02-26-2020, 04:26 PM
I'd roll with a five of: Payton-Kawhi-Pippen-Kirilenko-Garnett.
Second unit: Beverly-Allen-Bowen-Prince-Big Ben
Coach: Pop or Larry Brown

Switching would be key, for the most part, all five would be able to switch and guard anyone else. Using the spinner, I got the Hornets at first, so that isn't fair. Got the Bucks the second time, so yeah.

Went with a semi-realistic second unit, instead of just stars off the bench.

Phoenix
02-26-2020, 04:39 PM
@Phoenix

What I'm saying is get a game manager like Jackson or Popovich. They'll be better equipped to make an offensive game plan that bolsters the efforts to keep the other team's scoring low. Clock management, rebounding schemes and things like that.

Use Thibs as an assistant who focuses entirely on creating the defensive scheme.

I'd want Thibs coaching too, I just dont trust his game management enough to give him head coach role.

Yes I got your reasoning for Poppovich/Jackson. In an overall sense you'd be hard-pressed to pick better as far as game management. My mind was zeroed in on the defensive side of things when mentioning Thibs.

Overdrive
02-26-2020, 05:55 PM

Misses create chances to run. Those 16 Dubs run no matter if you score or not.

So I'd rather use a slow high fg% offense, players that don't lose the ball much and can create late into the shotclock.
My team would be:

CP3
Jordan
Pippen
Pistons Rodman
Wilt

All those guys can defend, 4 of the score. Only CP3 and Pippen need to play on ball and they can take turns.

Coach would be Chuck Daly or Larry Brown.

muggsy bogues
jerry sloan
bobby jones
bo outlaw
young arvydas sabonis

if i die i die

https://i.imgur.com/Aa41qiD.gif

Manny98
02-26-2020, 06:51 PM
LeBron/Giannis
Moncrief/Allen
Pippen/Kawhi
Rodman/KG
Wallace/Admiral

Ainosterhaspie
02-26-2020, 07:10 PM
Stockton/CP3/Dellavadova
Wade/Beverly
Bowen/Artest
Karl Malone/Rodman/Oakley
Laimbeer/Pachulia

Head Coach: Chuck Daily
Assistant: Pat Riley

Maybe you score 70 and I die. Maybe a Malone elbow t ok the temple kills your star first. If you can't walk or are heavily concussed, it's hard to score. Better worry about shooting jumpers, Zaza and Bowen will undercut you. Watch you ankles and knees as Delly plows into them diving for a ball. Artest might "accidentally throw his elbow through your skull while celebrating.

True there's the flagrant rule to worry about, but you get one freebie and after giving out four or five, refs might start to get gunshy. Plus these guys do a good job of being sneaky dirty. Other team will have a hard time even thinking about scoring.

MrFonzworth
02-26-2020, 07:47 PM
Stockton/CP3/Dellavadova
Wade/Beverly
Bowen/Artest
Karl Malone/Rodman/Oakley
Laimbeer/Pachulia

Head Coach: Chuck Daily
Assistant: Pat Riley

Maybe you score 70 and I die. Maybe a Malone elbow t ok the temple kills your star first. If you can't walk or are heavily concussed, it's hard to score. Better worry about shooting jumpers, Zaza and Bowen will undercut you. Watch you ankles and knees as Delly plows into them diving for a ball. Artest might "accidentally throw his elbow through your skull while celebrating.

True there's the flagrant rule to worry about, but you get one freebie and after giving out four or five, refs might start to get gunshy. Plus these guys do a good job of being sneaky dirty. Other team will have a hard time even thinking about scoring.

That team is giving up 70 to every team in the league.

HoopologyPhD
02-26-2020, 07:57 PM
Just hire Stern and the right refs to ensure that the 2020 Washington Generals only get to 69.

eliteballer
02-26-2020, 08:04 PM
Payton
Pippen
Leonard
Garnett
Olajuwon

Reggie43
02-26-2020, 08:08 PM
Payton
Jordan
Pippen
Rodman
Olajuwon

Versatile enough to guard any style of play.

RRR3
02-26-2020, 08:10 PM
muggsy bogues
jerry sloan
bobby jones
bo outlaw
young arvydas sabonis

if i die i die

https://i.imgur.com/Aa41qiD.gif
Muggsy Bogues was 5’3. He’d get consistently targeted on switches and absolutely killed.

Also weren’t Sabonis’ knees shot? Can’t imagine he’d do well on switches either.

Kblaze8855
02-26-2020, 08:13 PM
There are a lot of people who had Muggsy as the toughest on ball defender they ever faced. You can’t relax dribbling around him.

muggsy turned some big points to 2 guards. He had centers bringing the ball up with guards afraid of his full court press.

Hard to imagine I know....but he was a bit of a problem.

Ainosterhaspie
02-26-2020, 08:43 PM
That team is giving up 70 to every team in the league.

It's a messing around squad, not a serious one. I put the serious one earlier in the thread. Thought that was relatively obvious on its face, and that the comments made it even more clear, but apparently not.

They wouldn't actually be able to injure everyone on the other team, but many of these guys were known as dirty to varying degrees and/or actually took guys out.

Zaza took out Leonard. Delly took out Korver. Malone threw dirty elbows constantly. Bowen was known for undercutting guys. Laimbeer was famously dirty and relished that reputation. Rodman was dirty and great at getting into guys head including baiting guys into getting thrown out of games. 96 vs Sonics comes to mind. Stockton was dirty too. Artest threw that elbow into Harden's head. Bynum is in there for his cheap shot on Barrea. Beverly for taking out Westbrook's knee. CP3 is often hated around the league for how he plays.

CodeBreaker
02-26-2020, 10:01 PM
Payton/Beverley
Kawhi/Allen
Pippen/Bowen
KG/Rodman
Hakeem/Russell

BigShotBob
02-26-2020, 10:04 PM
There are a lot of people who had Muggsy as the toughest on ball defender they ever faced. You can’t relax dribbling around him.

muggsy turned some big points to 2 guards. He had centers bringing the ball up with guards afraid of his full court press.

Hard to imagine I know....but he was a bit of a problem.

He was extremely tough with a low center of gravity and he was lower than the ball so he could get steals fairly easily. People don't realize how strong he was either. Dude benched like 350.

kimps
02-26-2020, 10:53 PM
Pippen
Jordan
KG
Rodman
Hakeem

RIP CITY
02-27-2020, 04:07 AM
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Scottie Pippen
Michael Jodan
Gary Payton

ImKobe
02-27-2020, 05:17 AM
You'd need a team that could absolutely kill the pace while also having the best interior defense in the league with guards/forwards who you could switch everything with on defense. I might just go with the 2004 Pistons but replace Tayshaun with Pippen. Would still be a near-impossible feat against most teams but I'm sure they could shut down a bad shooting team like the Knicks who have terrible ball movement and lack of offensive imagination under a coach who doesn't have much experience and was forced into the role in the middle of the season.

iamgine
02-27-2020, 06:03 AM
Misses create chances to run.

Misses also create chances for offensive rebound, further running down the clock.

Kblaze8855
02-27-2020, 06:37 AM
You'd need a team that could absolutely kill the pace while also having the best interior defense in the league with guards/forwards who you could switch everything with on defense. I might just go with the 2004 Pistons but replace Tayshaun with Pippen. Would still be a near-impossible feat against most teams but I'm sure they could shut down a bad shooting team like the Knicks who have terrible ball movement and lack of offensive imagination under a coach who doesn't have much experience and was forced into the role in the middle of the season.

If im switching guys out on that team I keep prince for the bench, start Pippen as you said, and change Rip too. Solid defender but we can do better.

Muggsy Bogues was 5’3. He’d get consistently targeted on switches and absolutely killed.

Also weren’t Sabonis’ knees shot? Can’t imagine he’d do well on switches either.

bogues:

wrestled guys 6'9" 250

had high bbiq on offense and defense

was fast as ****

could jump higher than nate robinson

didn't back down from jordan

blocked ewing's shot

had a lot of heart so maybe he could help save mine

sabonis:

in the playoffs old injured sabonis held peak shaq below his scoring and shooting averages

by young i also meant healthy but even not healthy a young sabonis could hang with a young david robinson

conclusion:

in a league where a depleted golden state is averaging 106 ppg it probably doesn't matter what you do

i also don't think it makes sense when people are picking guys that are playing right now

and as has been said by others how are you realistically going to put some of these super star loaded teams together

brownmamba00
02-27-2020, 11:13 AM
Patrick Beverley
Tony Allen
Andre Iguodala
Ron Artest
Tyson Chandler

sd3035
02-27-2020, 11:55 AM
use the full 24 and crash the offensive boards to get new possessions and kill more time. You also need guys who can get defensive boards and get out on 3 point shooters

Pippen, Bill Russell, Kawhi, Olajuwan, Payton

These guys lock down outside shooters and are a terror in the paint

On a side note this team has an awesome offense too and would probably be the greatest team ever assembled

Mr Feeny
02-27-2020, 12:25 PM
Excellent thread!

I'd go with

Payton/Paul
Jordan
Kawhi
Garnett/Rodman
Hakeem/Garnett

The bigs could switch and are very versatile. Jordan, Payton, and Kawhi would decimate any perimeter players. It would be what the 96 Bulls teams did but arguably worse.

Absolut Prince
03-11-2020, 09:51 AM

To make it more specific....

https://spinthewheel.app/nba-teams

Click the "spin" and see who you have to face.

Give us the team you got and how you shut them down.

I somehow got the Rose/Griffin/Jackson-less Pistons who got held to 84 points by the Knicks the other night.
Brown
Svi
Snell
Wood
Henson
with Maker, Galloway, McRae, Thomas, and Doumbaya off the bench.

This team wouldn't score 35 points against my overly prepared coach Brad Stevens... and the bloodhounds below if they're told not to let the Pistons score.

Jordan/CP3
Pippen/Payton
Kawhi/Kobe
Rodman/Lebron
Giannis/Davis

My goal wouldn't be to slow down my team offensively with isos. This team is feasting on mistakes and scoring quickly in transition in order to save all their energy for defense. We're going to scare the young Pistons into dribbling out the clock. Depending on how this game is officiated, I wanted some more modern guys on the team who understand how the current game is officiated.

90sgoat
03-11-2020, 10:51 AM
Gary Payton
Joe Dumars
Michael Jordan
Dennis Rodman
Hakeem

Why?

Gary Payton is a big 6'4'', which means he can go get whoever the opposition has at guard, regardless of if they're point guard og shooting guard. Joe Dumars, because he is smaller, and thus perfectly suited to clamp down the smaller comboguards of this age such as Curry, Trae, Dame, Kyrie etc.

MJ would work as a fantastic free safety. He'd play very efficient trapping defense, chase down blocks, jumping to contest weakside 3s.

Dennis Rodman. Not only does he completely shut down and potentially aggrevate guys like Lebron, Draymond, Giannis etc. He also gobbles up all the misses on defense AND offense. In this era, without bigs, he probably grabs like 18-20 rebounds a game, which is about 5 possessions more than average.

Hakeem. I originally wanted to go small ball with Pippen at PF and Rodman at C, but I thought the better of it, because of Embiid, Jokic, KP etc. Hakeem was a prolific blocker AND man defender, with a lot of steals. He'd slap the ball out of Embiids hands.

brooks_thompson
03-11-2020, 04:14 PM
All's I know for sure is that Mike Fratello (Terrell Brandon Cavs-era) is my coach, and Mike Fratello (Pau Gasol '05 Grizz-era) is his lead assistant.

Since they don't have to win, I'd just let em run the shot clock into a turnover every single time to maximize time of possession and to allow the defense to be set. As long as they don't turn over the ball (they shouldn't once they get past half court and dribble it out) and limit oppenents' offensive boards to 5 or less (so I'd want the best defensive rebounders all around, especially modern 3s and 2s , who are more used to rebounding long 3 misses). Then it all comes down to pressing the ball-handler for 48 minutes so theyre getting no shot before at least 14 on the shot clock. And of course I'd pick guys with the lowest foul rates.

AirFederer
03-11-2020, 07:02 PM
Kermit Washington
Spree
Metta
KG
Dwight

NBAGOAT
03-11-2020, 07:47 PM
PG: Kidd. Payton is a better man defender but I want a bigger body who can fight through screens the whole game and has more switchability. So much of modern nba offense is matchup hunting

SG: Jordan. Went with a bigger body at pg so went for quickness at sg. Can put him on some quick pgs I dont want kidd to guard. Also has quickness to get out to shooters. Has the size to switch and motor to go hard for 40min

SF: Pippen nothing much needs to be said. the perfect perimeter guy to put on a superstar wing and godly help defense.

PF: Draymond the perfect 2020 defensive 4. I'm not worried about his height because the majority of teams go with stretch 4's

C: Garnett same theme as before going with a smaller more switchable lineup. Him and Dray are going be the anchors of my defense. No guard or will want to matchup hunt either of my bigs. I'm only slightly worried about a big like embiid, jokic, towns but I think kg can do decent enough with some smart doubles.

Rebounding is a bit of a weakness compared to a team that picks ben but that's another reason I got kidd at pg.

Coach: Riley want a coach who knows how to adjust defensively vs different systems and knows how to run a grind it out but efficient offense mostly just focused on giving the ball to Mj at the end of the shot clock. Let's be honest if you play at any decent pace, the other team's usually going score 70+ no matter what

FromDowntown
03-11-2020, 08:36 PM
LeBron/Giannis
Moncrief/Allen
Pippen/Kawhi
Rodman/KG
Wallace/Admiral

/thr3ad